UConn-Notre Dame game preview | The Boneyard

UConn-Notre Dame game preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ice disagrees with my views on Geno's use of his personnel choices (other thread) but when the team looked very sharp, Mo was on the floor.
For most of the second half with all the upperclassmen throwing the ball away, Mo was on the bench.
She ended the evening with 1 t/o
She loyally said that she wasn't ready for the 1st ND game; perhaps true, but it was because she wasn't given enough time and trust prior (IMHO)
She's not the team's savior, that's not what I'm trying to imply.
But for a few months, I've felt that the kids weren't being developed and not given enough chance to work through their mistakes.
Now that we're in crunch time, beloved Caroline seems to be almost an afterthought.
Morgan's role is not clear either...still hurt?
In the first OT she almost won the game by herself (or was it the 2nd)?
Doggy has made the convincing case that our freshmen are better than theirs and today Brianna got a lot of time.
But the starters sure played a lot too and KML may be wearing down.
Was does this ramble all mean?

The kids haven't played enough all season. Bad for them and bad for the Vets. And at some point, we're going to pay...And I don't want to hear about practices...I don't go. I'm not invited.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Doggy says he will pick UConn until they win. Reminds me of a story.

Guy goes to the opera, first time. Early on the main tenor sings a big aria to only tepid applause. Fellow near our newbie shouts, "ENCORE!" so the tenor obliges by repeating the encore. No applause, some hissing and jeering. Once again, "ENCORE! ENCORE!" from the same person. Still another rendition, loudly booed by the audience. Our guy asks, "Why are you demanding that he keep singing that aria? He doesn't seem to be doing it very well." The shouter explains, "I'm going to make him keep singing that damned aria until he finally gets it right!"

I think Doggy has it right. I like our chances, BUT. . .

. . .If UConn has more than 18 turnovers, it could be a long night.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I see nothing wrong with msf22b's post. Not sure if he was supposed to post it in it's own thread - not sure of the "rules" regarding the "game preview" thread. But if the rule is "say nothing critical", then he surely broke it. If the rule is "discuss your view of what you saw and give your own opinion", then he did nothing wrong.

Geno was visibly livid at the team on at least 3 separate occasions in the 2nd half (that i saw - could have been more). The team actually lost the 2nd half while playing their starters for much/most of it. You can certainly argue that UCONN should give ND a great game since the first 2 were very close. You also can argue that their most recent performance (literally today) coupled with the lack of mental toughness exhibited in the recent loss a week ago indicates that something is not clicking, and it's not like this is November with plenty of time to fix it.

If the team plays like they did in the first half, it will be a very good game. If they play like they did in the 2nd half, ND by 15+. It's a lot easier to write a review and have everyone agree when we are playing a team we should beat by 20+. Obviously I hope a focused, intense, and mentally ready team shows up and shows ND the door out the big east. And I hope it hits em hard in the ass on the way out...

Reaction Score
IMHO UCONN should be further along...too many turnovers, mental mistakes,etc seems Coach Auriemma is loyal to primarily his upperclassmen and I'll risk saying its to a fault (yes he relies on Stewart too). I've been watching the BET why is the players that seemed to struggled and did not play well recently get the most time in the BET? Tuck has been playing excellent in games, you'd think she would get playing time but she comes into post season and she is barely getting time. Morgan's role may not be clear but it should be obvious she has step up and played big in Big games...we need her on the floor NOT riding the bench.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
IMHO UCONN should be further along...too many turnovers, mental mistakes,etc seems Coach Auriemma is loyal to primarily his upperclassmen and I'll risk saying its to a fault (yes he relies on Stewart too). I've been watching the BET why is the players that seemed to struggled and did not play well recently get the most time in the BET? Tuck has been playing excellent in games, you'd think she would get playing time but she comes into post season and she is barely getting time. Morgan's role may not be clear but it should be obvious she has step up and played big in Big games...we need her on the floor NOT riding the bench.

This explains why Geno does not yet rank among the best 150 coaches in Connecticut. We can only hope that some day he will see the light and learn how to play the right players and develop talent. Meanwhile we must suffer through these monotonous 30-win seasons and repetitive final fours, not to mention an occasional NC.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I didn't know msf has a daughter that posts here.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
So tough not to be sarcastic here. So a puppy poster ih(er)ho thinks Geno has no idea what he's doing. :)

Reaction Score
They may already know, based on how few fouls have been called since the news came out, but my pre-game advice to Geno: Make sure the refs understand how detrimental ND has been to their hearing!

Reaction Score
I obviously don't have any inside info, but I have a feeling that with 3 games in 3 nights; Geno may be saving Morgan's knee. And, while it's not been an issue that we are aware of, she also has had an ACL repair in the past, and that is always an issue...Look for her to log major minutes tonight...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Last nites second half last nite has raised some concern and doubts. The first half on the other hand was terrific. Gotta wonder why we loose focus? Why we fail to execute? What happens to cause this. In a game when KML and Stef found it hard to get open the rest of the team seemed to pick them up.

I would tonites game we are focused, aggressive and like a pack of wolves looking for food. There is no doubt in my mind we are the better team. There is also the question why we havent beaten ND. Why? Missing foul shots, turnovers, missing wide open shots when it counts etc. I still like our chances tonite. I believe we can win by alot if we can answer or overcome what seems to be a mystery and that mystery is why we seem to lose it at critical times. ????????????????????? Alot of question marks againest ND and hopefully theyre answered tonite and Marc h 31 in the FF.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Last nites second half last nite has raised some concern and doubts. The first half on the other hand was terrific. Gotta wonder why we loose focus? Why we fail to execute? What happens to cause this. In a game when KML and Stef found it hard to get open the rest of the team seemed to pick them up.

I would tonites game we are focused, aggressive and like a pack of wolves looking for food. There is no doubt in my mind we are the better team. There is also the question why we havent beaten ND. Why? Missing foul shots, turnovers, missing wide open shots when it counts etc. I still like our chances tonite. I believe we can win by alot if we can answer or overcome what seems to be a mystery and that mystery is why we seem to lose it at critical times. ????????????????????? Alot of question marks againest ND and hopefully theyre answered tonite and Marc h 31 in the FF.

Huh?

Reaction Score
Morgan's role may not be clear but it should be obvious she has step up and played big in Big games...we need her on the floor NOT riding the bench.

My interpretation of Morgan's sitting out last night was that Geno didn't want to risk inflammation that could keep her out of the Notre Dame game where she will be sorely needed...no way to know if this is true or not, but three games in three days is a lot if there are still some lingering effects...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

Very true...they had a stretch in the second half against ND at ND that was just as bad where they committed 7 or 8 turnovers on consecutive possessions, mostly due to judgment errors (attempting passes with little chance of a positive result etc.).
Hopefully, Geno can find an antidote to the brain fog that affects multiple players during these stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom