UConn Not Unanimous #1 in Final Coaches Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Not Unanimous #1 in Final Coaches Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From OldGrizzly " Baylor lost to Louisville for multiple reasons. The mauling that the refs allowed certainly was a factor in the loss. "

That's okay, Louisville was able to overcome the maulings and win. Stop the crying and finger pointing and accept that they got beat.

Reaction Score
Baylor had probably the best team. They had Sims and Griner but they didn't win the title.
What lunacy!!!!!! Baylor had the best team????????????????? You mention two players to justify that statement. UConn had five players plus an able bench that contributed to make them the BEST TEAM. The best team doesn't get eliminated in the Sweet 16, does it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make a little sense!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, but that's kind of hind-sight strategy thinking.

Slaughter was okay during the season at 36% and an average of 1.5 a game for the 3s, but that's not somebody Kim is going to set up a "stop the Slaughter at all costs" defense. Slaughter basically hit Baylor pretty much out of the blue with her onslaught(er). Yes, the Bears' defense needed to react better during the game and get back out on Schimmel (who took 4 more 3-pt attempts than Slaughter) and on Slaughter, but they just didn't check out on the perimeter well enough. Holly Warlick was apparently warned well enough for the Vols to limit the Cards' 3s to 35% with Slaughter going 1-6, but UTenn still lost. Geno was completely forewarned following the Baylor and Cal games and said simply that Louisville was not going to use the 3 to beat the Huskies. But he also had Kelly (and Breanna), and Kim didn't.
Boy, when is the silliness going to stop. You can justify the first 3 point shot or two but how long does it take to understand, "hey, my players aren't guarding the perimeter and we need to focus on the 3 point line". Why did it take 30 minutes of game time or roughly an hour and twenty minutes to realize "we are being hurt by those guys making those shots". UConn's defense without a word from Geno would never have allowed those guys those open looks. They learned their roles in preseason practice. Geno didn't all of a sudden realize, my gosh, we'd better get our guys to defend this dangerous team and their three point game. Dear Kim should have kicked her team's butts after the eight minute mark of the first half to get them in gear (if not sooner). These are college students, not imbeciles, right??????? Why do they need any kind of instruction on understanding who is hurting them offensively and what they need to do about it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO Baylor with Griner the best and most dominate player and SImms the best point guard and one NC. I have to wonder what the problem was. Questions that need to be answered. Were Simms and Griner developed over their 4 years? Were the rest of the team developed over their 4 years? Was their team chemistry? What went wrong? I would think BU should've one more NCs with two of the most dominating players in the game. No BU is not number 1. Anyplace in the polls but number 1. IMO playing LVille and not getting out to defend the 3 with Griner underneath was the blame and you can place it on the coaches and team. JMO

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Difficult for to believe that any coach sees games as played in the head and not on the floor.

I think Red Auerbach said it:

"If winning isn't important, why keep score?"

Reaction Score
UConn was #1 when it counted. Did they have the best team? On April 9th they did. After the Big East Tournament, they did. IMO, prior to that, it is open for discussion. ND beat them 3 times this season (and it doesn't really matter that some of you feel that UConn lost those games themselves - rather than ND beating them, it was still 3 losses). Baylor also beat them. Both ND and Baylor had good teams that played with team chemistry. Both have excellent coaches. But when it mattered most - UConn was the the best team, with a coach that is currently the best in the business.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The winner of the Final 4 is the best team...period...if not, then why the tournament?

Post-hoc polls and what ifs are redundant, sour grapes, or just plain stooopid.

Reaction Score
Charlotte Smith (coach at Elon) voted Baylor #1.

"I don't know whether the stars aligned for them (Louisville) in the universe. But I feel that had (Baylor) gotten by Louisville, Baylor would've been national champions," Smith said.

Okay then.

Top 10:

1. UConn
  2. ND
  3. Louisville
  4. Baylor
  5. Cal
  6. Duke
  7. Stanford
  8. Kentucky
  9. Tennessee
  10. Georgia
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-baylor-connecticut-charlotte-smith/2070465/

Then Charlotte should understand that her team shouldn't have been ranked #1 after her NC because Stephanie Lawerence travelled on that out of bounds play that led to her 3 point shot. Probably the worst piece of officiating I've seen in the NCAA tournament. She's an idiot.

Reaction Score
Having Britt G. for 4 years and winning once is akin to having Pat Ewing for 4 years and winning once. It's COACHING!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
It is a shame that the refs swallowed their whistle in the Baylor/Louisville game. Otherwise we would have actually had a real championship game. We will never know what would have happened.
Unlike some others, I agree with your post. Understand that once a team loses, blaming the officials is taboo. Yet, I agree that the tone of the game is set by the officials and it did not favor Baylor for most of the game. However, when Baylor and Sims made their comeback, the lack of whistles favored Baylor (why did Baylor wait that long?). Finally, you have to admit two things, 1) Griner did not play to her potential and 2) Louisville took full advantage of the officiating AND made plays (big plays) throughout the game. It all came together and Baylor lost.

You are also correct, in retrospect, that a Baylor-UConn final would have been a better game and the result unknown. As a UConn fan, I have to say that UConn would have won, but that is what fans say. In the end it does not matter because UConn won the NC, and won comfortably. What else can you ask of a winner but to win the games they play.

Ps. When UConn lost to Baylor, I also felt the refs swallowed the whistle in favor of Baylor, which is why it is all moot.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Two players make a team? Uconn had the best team...no probably about it. They had Faris, Doty, Buck, Dolson, Hartley, Mosqueda-Lewis, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck and they won the title.

Again, I would suggest a hypothetical: Suppose Geno had Baylor's roster and Kim had UConn's roster. What would the result have been? I suggest that Baylor with Geno would have won every game (including the one against the UConn roster with the "new Breanna") by at least 20 points. Griner would have been cutting to the basket and taking alley-oop passes from Sims and others. Pope and Williams would have had larger roles, particularly in rebounding. Sims would have been scoring on backdoor plays. Kim's daughter might have seen more playing time and might have been doing the same thing.

Meanwhile, Kim would have had Breanna playing the same game that Griner actually played, mostly away from the basket and with not a lot of movement. She would have gotten her points, but the rest of the team would have been far less productive. Stef would have been on the bench since she would have been considered too slow. Kelly would have been a role player of minor importance.

Reaction Score
When the UConn men beat Duke in 1999, Duke raised a banner that said something like "No. 1 Final AP Poll". Maybe Baylor can do the same thing.
That would be silly. Sick of the accusations that I am a crybaby. Probably my last post on this board. UCONN, congratulations on your well deserved National Championship. Baylor did not get to the dance because they had an off night against a red hot shooting team that benefitted from horrible officials. Don't see how that makes me a crybaby. Adios amigos.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think that once UConn got it together, they were better than Baylor.
I think it's pretty straight forward. Baylor and UCONN played the same team within a week and a half of each other (i.e. we are not talking about midseason meetings or different players in form/injuries). Baylor lost to this team by 1 and UCONN beat them by 33. Nuff said.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the reffing argument when it comes to Baylor. It was not like they were calling everything Baylor did and nothing on their opponents. Both sides got some breaks. Did anyone notice when they called the wrong player (should have been Griner) early in the first so she didn’t get into foul trouble. Or the penalty that wasn’t near the end of the game that got the Louisville coach a technical as well. Bad calls on both sides Louisville won because they were better that night, not some reffing conspiracy

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Boy, when is the silliness going to stop. You can justify the first 3 point shot or two but how long does it take to understand, "hey, my players aren't guarding the perimeter and we need to focus on the 3 point line". Why did it take 30 minutes of game time or roughly an hour and twenty minutes to realize "we are being hurt by those guys making those shots". UConn's defense without a word from Geno would never have allowed those guys those open looks. They learned their roles in preseason practice. Geno didn't all of a sudden realize, my gosh, we'd better get our guys to defend this dangerous team and their three point game. Dear Kim should have kicked her team's butts after the eight minute mark of the first half to get them in gear (if not sooner). These are college students, not imbeciles, right??????? Why do they need any kind of instruction on understanding who is hurting them offensively and what they need to do about it.
Yep, nice to be able to be the lounge-chair quarterback going silly-silly to all the coaches. I can remember doing the same thing to Geno after Purdue lit up the Huskies for 13 bombs on 59% shooting back in November. Why the hell didn't he make adjustments if he's such a hot-shot 7-NC coach? He should have known they would do that and be that hot. And maybe he should have learned something from last year in the four games against the Irish when UConn stifled ND's 3-pt shooting in three of the games (but nuts, it's the three games they lost), and got knocked for a 7-16 in the other game (but damn they won that one). So what is that he's supposed to learn?

First off, because of Griner's presence teams were averaging 21 jack attempts against Baylor per game at the rate of under 30%, and Louisville comes in at the rate of 6-18 at around 31%. Okay, not too worrisome, and the Bears know that the Cards will probably shoot a lot of 3s like all of their other opponents and will probably hit at about 30% if the Bears play their usual defense. But the game starts and there were 5 Cardinals hitting on the 3s including the forward and center, so that does put a strain on any team's perimeter defense in trying to guard outside the arc without leaving the interior secure. After a torrid first half, the Cards do not cool off as after two minutes pass in the second half first big Schimmel, then little Schimmel, then Hammond, then big Schimmel, and then Slaughter find the range. Baylor does make adjustments and for the last 9 minutes of the game, the Cards hit no more 3s and the Bears roar back to take the lead in the last seconds. So final seconds and Monique Reed is feverishly dribbling upcourt to obviously pop a 3 right? No, she drives to the hoop and draws a foul as Griner flies back from the perimeter. Two FTs, and game over.

But yes we're all so silly for not knowing what's going to happen. Isn't that what DVR is for?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Unlike some others, I agree with your post. Understand that once a team loses, blaming the officials is taboo. Yet, I agree that the tone of the game is set by the officials and it did not favor Baylor for most of the game. However, when Baylor and Sims made their comeback, the lack of whistles favored Baylor (why did Baylor wait that long?). Finally, you have to admit two things, 1) Griner did not play to her potential and 2) Louisville took full advantage of the officiating AND made plays (big plays) throughout the game. It all came together and Baylor lost.

You are also correct, in retrospect, that a Baylor-UConn final would have been a better game and the result unknown. As a UConn fan, I have to say that UConn would have won, but that is what fans say. In the end it does not matter because UConn won the NC, and won comfortably. What else can you ask of a winner but to win the games they play.

Ps. When UConn lost to Baylor, I also felt the refs swallowed the whistle in favor of Baylor, which is why it is all moot.

Not really a good comparison to a regular season game and a "lose and end your career" game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don’t understand the reffing argument when it comes to Baylor. It was not like they were calling everything Baylor did and nothing on their opponents. Both sides got some breaks. Did anyone notice when they called the wrong player (should have been Griner) early in the first so she didn’t get into foul trouble. Or the penalty that wasn’t near the end of the game that got the Louisville coach a technical as well. Bad calls on both sides Louisville won because they were better that night, not some reffing conspiracy

Here is what the poor reffing in the beginning did. It set the tone for the game. Walz sent his players on the floor to do whatever they wanted physically. By not calling those fouls early it set a tone for the Louisville players and by being allowed to rough up Griner everything fell into place.

Unfortunately for both UCONN and Baylor, for many fans, this year's championship will have a mental asterisk next to it because of what happened in that game. It was a hot topic of conversation and will be remembered by many people. Although many UCONN fans were very happy to see Baylor lose, UCONN would have been better served for Baylor to make it to the final so that there could be not talk of "did the best team win the championship?"

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Polls after a championship game are completely worthless. Don't pay attention to them. UCONN earned the number one spot by playing the game. End of story.

This is a good point. What purpose would this "final" poll even serve? Why would they bother having it? I don't get it. Is it a "jumping off point" for next season ? (Wouldn't think so as it's based on players who are leaving).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is a good point. What purpose would this "final" poll even serve? Why would they bother having it? I don't get it. Is it a "jumping off point" for next season ? (Wouldn't think so as it's based on players who are leaving).

I agree...there is only one final ranking that counts...NUMBER 1!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let me clearly state, UCONN did what THEY had to do. They could not play teams that did not advance. And with the way Stewart was playing I don't know hat Baylor could have beaten them. But we will also never get to see that championship matchup between Stewart and Griner, which is a shame. I would have loved to have seen that. Instead we got to see Louisville lay a big egg.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let me clearly state, UCONN did what THEY had to do. They could not play teams that did not advance. And with the way Stewart was playing I don't know hat Baylor could have beaten them. But we will also never get to see that championship matchup between Stewart and Griner, which is a shame. I would have loved to have seen that. Instead we got to see Louisville lay a big egg.

That make me think...Walz should have "hatched" a better game plan for UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom