Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Difficult for to believe that any coach sees games as played in the head and not on the floor.

Reaction Score
I would list the top four teams as Uconn, Baylor, ND and Louisville.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
LMAO. If frogs had wings . . .

Who the hell is Elon and who is Charlotte Smith?

I Googled and found them. Ranked 178th by Sagarin. They claim a successful season finishing 4th (19-14) in a weak sister conference. Non basketball people like that shouldn't have a vote. :p

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LMAO. If frogs had wings . . .

Who the hell is Elon and who is Charlotte Smith?

I Googled and found them. Ranked 178th by Sagarin. They claim a successful season finishing 4th (19-14) in a weak sister conference. Non basketball people like that shouldn't have a vote. :p

Charlotte Smith played for UNC and made the winning shot in the national championship game in 1994.

D

DanDar

People forget that in our game vs Baylor Stewie played 7 minutes and was scoreless. UConn has grown by leaps and bounds since that time. It would've been a close game but UConn would have won it. Doesn't really matter now. Baylor was exposed to have a crappy perimeter defense. It was their one major Achilles heel that bit them in the behind. UConn was a complete team that only got better come tourney time and it showed by the beat-down applied to Notre Dame.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you do not make it out of the Sweet Sixteen you do not deserve to be #1. Simple as that. The coaches ranked them pretty much how I would have ranked the Top 5.

After what UCONN did in the tournament I believe we would beat Baylor by 15 tomorrow.

Reaction Score
There is always one in every bunch...is she the Bonita Spence of coaching? You know...sees the game completely played in front of her differently than everyone else?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Knocking Baylor down to #4 for a 1-point loss in the Sweet Sixteen seems a bit excessive to me, but that is the consensus vote. Is the final ranking supposed to reflect their position in the very last week of the season, or is it supposed to reflect their body of work over the entire season? If it's the latter, then I think Baylor clearly should be #2, not #4.

I would still compare this year's Baylor team to the Soviet hockey team in 1980. I think if they played either UConn or ND (not to mention Louisville) in a 7-game series, they would probably (not certainly) win narrowly, even at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Knocking Baylor down to #4 for a 1-point loss in the Sweet Sixteen seems a bit excessive to me, but that is the consensus vote. Is the final ranking supposed to reflect their position in the very last week of the season, or is it supposed to reflect their body of work over the entire season? If it's the latter, then I think Baylor clearly should be #2, not #4.

I would still compare this year's Baylor team to the Soviet hockey team in 1980. I think if they played either UConn or ND (not to mention Louisville) in a 7-game series, they would probably (not certainly) win narrowly, even at this point in time.
My opinion?

1. Baylor would easily sweep Louisville. I read that L'ville was a 75-1 underdog. That's about right and a great game plan and a 1 in 1,000 night shooting threes doesn't change that.

2. They would beat ND 4-1.

3. We would win in seven.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is the end of the year not a year long standard. In the last two weeks:

ND played UConn tougher than Louisville. Lousiville beat Baylor head to head in the last 10 days. Baylor played Louisville tougher than Cal.

Lastly if a #1 seed loses to a #5 seed and doesn't take care of business they drop and drop hard. To #1 or #2 you have to beat who you are supposed to beat head to head. As Geno says it is about one game not a series. It is not 2/3 or 3/5 or 4/7. It is one game and move on. What did you do in your one game head to head? That's how I rank them.

Reaction Score
People forget that in our game vs Baylor Stewie played 7 minutes and was scoreless. UConn has grown by leaps and bounds since that time. It would've been a close game but UConn would have won it. Doesn't really matter now. Baylor was exposed to have a crappy perimeter defense. It was their one major Achilles heel that bit them in the behind. UConn was a complete team that only got better come tourney time and it showed by the beat-down applied to Notre Dame.

It was worse than that. Stewie was a clear liability in those seven minutes. And Bria didn't play especially well either. I'm not sure Baylor brought their A game either ... but, given that we were very competitive with Baylor last year and this year, and the team we put on the floor in the tournament was vastly superior, I think it's fair to think we would have won.

Would have been a helluva game, that's for sure!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, I think UConn would have absolutely wiped the floor with A&M in 2011 had it not been for that pesky semifinals loss to Notre Dame. Can I claim that championship as ours?
Exactly the point. What did you do head to head.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Stupid. The polls aren't about what ifs. The polls are about what happened. :rolleyes:

IF EDD hadn't gone back to Delaware, if Griner had gone to anywhere other than Baylor, if we had won the games at ND, if if if...

Reaction Score
Does anyone have the link to see how coaches voted all season? I'm very curious to see Charlotte Smith's voting record. Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Well, I suppose you could also make the case that Louisville wasn't really the 4th best team in the country, either. In fact I don't think they were in the top 10. They had a perfect game against Baylor but ran into a buzzsaw last night and had zero chance of winning. for what its worth, I think UConn would have beatern Baylor the way they were playing, but of course we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom