UConn Not Unanimous #1 in Final Coaches Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Not Unanimous #1 in Final Coaches Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
FWIW, Sagarin's final ratings ranking after today's update...

Uconn
Baylor
ND
Duke
Stanford
Kentucky
Maryland
Tennessee
Penn St.
Louisville

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you do not make it out of the Sweet Sixteen you do not deserve to be #1. simple as that. The coaches ranked them pretty much how I would have ranked the Top 5.

After what UCONN did in the tournament I believe we would beat Baylor by 15 tomorrow.

I was talking to a co-worker about Baylor... and I told him I thought that UCONN would have won if they had played yesterday. Told him that Stewart was the difference. I also lamented the fact that she has 3 more years of eligibility

Reaction Score
Charlotte Smith (coach at Elon) voted Baylor #1.

"I don't know whether the stars aligned for them (Louisville) in the universe. But I feel that had (Baylor) gotten by Louisville, Baylor would've been national champions," Smith said.

Okay then.

Top 10:

1. UConn
  2. ND
  3. Louisville
  4. Baylor
  5. Cal
  6. Duke
  7. Stanford
  8. Kentucky
  9. Tennessee
  10. Georgia
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-baylor-connecticut-charlotte-smith/2070465/

Who cares! UCONN won the national championship not Baylor......THE END!!

Reaction Score
Remember the Superbowl XLII when the Giants (10-6, NFC wild card) beat the then undefeated Patriots (16-0)? The Patriots had beaten the Giants during the regular season. Who won the SB was all that mattered. The Giants were the best team in 2007. No one ever questioned that!
No one will remember what Baylor did or almost did.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
It's fine.... All it does is make her look like a total idiot.

She's the Head Coach at Elon....she already accomplished that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
FWIW, Sagarin's final ratings ranking after today's update...

Uconn
Baylor
ND
Duke
Stanford
Kentucky
Maryland
Tennessee
Penn St.
Louisville
And it is worth something because Sagarin doesn't always have the national champ at #1. Losses notwithstanding, Uconn had a ton of skins on the wall this season.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
RPI rankings, AP polls, even Sagarin are kind of beside the point when the seasons ends. There are baseball purists who still pine for the good old simple and clean days when you just had an NL pennant winner and AL pennant winner in the post season and none of those wild card teams that got hot in September after muddling through the first 5 months were allowed into the October classic. Rankings can be weird stuff this time of year because you find yourself saying that a team with 9 losses and a much worse schedule should be ranked higher than a team with two losses and the top schedule. Finals rankings are only done so that the pollsters can cover their butts for not having anointed the NC winner as #1 before the tourney started. There are really two seasons, but the rankings we really care about in the end are the results in those NCAA brackets.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There were supposed "experts" who thought Slaughter would best KML and that Lville is better than they are. They were a good team that had one huge upset and hung on to win all of their last three wins including Baylor, while UConn was trampling everyone. They established Jeff Walz as a defensive genius, when no team played better defense than UConn. Some people who theoretically should know better have a hard time seeing what's in front of their faces.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Charlotte Smith played for UNC and made the winning shot in the national championship game in 1994.
Yea, there it was, I knew that name sounded familiar.

Reaction Score
Polls after a championship game are completely worthless. Don't pay attention to them. UCONN earned the number one spot by playing the game. End of story.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is a shame that the refs swallowed their whistle in the Baylor/Louisville game. Otherwise we would have actually had a real championship game. We will never know what would have happened.

Reaction Score
It is a shame that the refs swallowed their whistle in the Baylor/Louisville game. Otherwise we would have actually had a real championship game. We will never know what would have happened.
I think you're a great poster - it's not always easy remaining civil on an opponent's message board, so I give you major props for that.

But I think this post is absolutely ridiculous.

UConn just pummeled Louisville by 33 points. Baylor lost because they didn't take the game seriously until there were about 10 minutes left, not because of a few calls. Had Griner and co. shown up from the beginning, the refs wouldn't have mattered.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
So she is punishing UConn because Baylor choked. Yeah, that seems right.

Reaction Score
I think you're a great poster - it's not always easy remaining civil on an opponent's message board, so I give you major props for that.

But I think this post is absolutely ridiculous.

UConn just pummeled Louisville by 33 points. Baylor lost because they didn't take the game seriously until there were about 10 minutes left, not because of a few calls. Had Griner and co. shown up from the beginning, the refs wouldn't have mattered.

Agreed. I like you too eastexas and I have great respect for Baylor, I like their program and fans and I do think Mulkey is a good coach, but if I were a Baylor fan I'd be pretty angry last night. Not at the refs but at my coach. Physical play on Griner and bad officiating did not leave Slaughter wide open to make what was it, ten 3's against you? It didn't let Shoni go showtime for 40 minutes. UConn pretty much showed last night it was not that hard to lock down on Louisville if you put the effort and focus into it. I don't think Baylor did that. I think they were over confident and by the time they woke up it was too late. They were throwing down slam dunks on Florida State the game before having a ball. I think they overlooked Louisville.

I listen to Auriemma like a hawk when he speaks in his press conferences. One of the most revealing comments he made on Monday was when he expressed disbelief that Slaughter had been able to continue to be left so wide open during the Baylor game when she was killing you, the Tennessee game, and the Cal game. He said Jeff must be a genius for her to be that wide open. Of course that is classic Geno. I think he was bewildered these other coaching staffs allowed this to continue to happen. He said last night he was going to stick on Slaughter/Shimmel and force someone else to beat them. He could live with Hammond getting points as long as Slaughter/Shimmel did not get open looks. And they didn't.

It wasn't rocket science either. I am pretty glad Kim didn't figure it out. I have respect for Kim don't get me wrong east. But I'd be far more pissed at her than the refs after last night.

Reaction Score
Dang. Baylor must have some dirt on Charlotte Smith. Jeez. A vote for Baylor? Wow.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is a shame that the refs swallowed their whistle in the Baylor/Louisville game.

Swollowed their whistle? They blew it the entire second half. Except when Mulkey went berzerk and should have been T'd up. Three Card starters fouled out. The fact is your star didn't step up in winning time, including (especially) that last defensive play. UConn blew out every team they played.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Baylor had probably the best team. They had Sims and Griner but they didn't win the title.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It is difficult to run through a single elimination tournament no matter how good you are. Baylor simply did not play well against Louisville. The officiating was questionable, but when you have an all-american PG and one of the most unique and dominant posts of all time (not to mention a cast of talented role players), the officiating shouldn't have made a difference. It is too bad Baylor didn't make it through, but UConn played the opponents it was given. Louisville, meanwhile, certainly earned their spot in the finals by beating Tennessee and Cal after the Baylor win, not to mention beating B1G tourney champion Purdue beforehand.

Them's the breaks. UConn has had a couple of NC opportunities slip away, too. By consistently fielding teams that are in the hunt, Geno has been able to win a bunch just the same.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I listen to Auriemma like a hawk when he speaks in his press conferences. One of the most revealing comments he made on Monday was when he expressed disbelief that Slaughter had been able to continue to be left so wide open during the Baylor game when she was killing you, the Tennessee game, and the Cal game. He said Jeff must be a genius for her to be that wide open. Of course that is classic Geno. I think he was bewildered these other coaching staffs allowed this to continue to happen. He said last night he was going to stick on Slaughter/Shimmel and force someone else to beat them. He could live with Hammond getting points as long as Slaughter/Shimmel did not get open looks. And they didn't.
Yeah, but that's kind of hind-sight strategy thinking.

Slaughter was okay during the season at 36% and an average of 1.5 a game for the 3s, but that's not somebody Kim is going to set up a "stop the Slaughter at all costs" defense. Slaughter basically hit Baylor pretty much out of the blue with her onslaught(er). Yes, the Bears' defense needed to react better during the game and get back out on Schimmel (who took 4 more 3-pt attempts than Slaughter) and on Slaughter, but they just didn't check out on the perimeter well enough. Holly Warlick was apparently warned well enough for the Vols to limit the Cards' 3s to 35% with Slaughter going 1-6, but UTenn still lost. Geno was completely forewarned following the Baylor and Cal games and said simply that Louisville was not going to use the 3 to beat the Huskies. But he also had Kelly (and Breanna), and Kim didn't.

Reaction Score
I really can't stand a cry baby in sports. Take care of it on the court. Let's analyze the Louisville games properly. Ten minutes to go: Baylor was down about 18 points ..... UCONN was up about 30 points going away. Five minutes to go: Baylor down about 10 points and closing... UCONN up about 35 points with second team getting some time. One minute to go: Baylor down by four.... UCONN up by 34 with a Heather Buck steal and driving the full court for a score and team goes crazy. Zero on the clock: Sims on the floor crying, Griner next to her. Walz congratulating Geno for an eighth National Championship. Interviews after the game: Mulkey blaming the refs for losing...... Geno praising Louisville for a tremendous tournament run. Maybe you should take a poll of the Louisville players and ask them who should be National Champion. Wait a minute, we don't have to do that. UCONN is National Champion!!!!

Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!!

Reaction Score
Baylor had probably the best team. They had Sims and Griner but they didn't win the title.

Two players make a team? Uconn had the best team...no probably about it. They had Faris, Doty, Buck, Dolson, Hartley, Mosqueda-Lewis, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck and they won the title.

Reaction Score
I gave you credit for winning the championship and you still did earn that title in spite of the crap posted here. Baylor lost to Louisville for multiple reasons. The mauling that the refs allowed certainly was a factor in the loss. We should have overcome, because we didn't prevented UCONN from playing in a close title game. It would have been fun to watch. It is Baylor's fault that it didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom