UConn Not Unanimous #1 in Final Coaches Poll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Not Unanimous #1 in Final Coaches Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

Here is what the poor reffing in the beginning did. It set the tone for the game. Walz sent his players on the floor to do whatever they wanted physically. By not calling those fouls early it set a tone for the Louisville players and by being allowed to rough up Griner everything fell into place.

Unfortunately for both UCONN and Baylor, for many fans, this year's championship will have a mental asterisk next to it because of what happened in that game. It was a hot topic of conversation and will be remembered by many people. Although many UCONN fans were very happy to see Baylor lose, UCONN would have been better served for Baylor to make it to the final so that there could be not talk of "did the best team win the championship?"
No offense, but anyone who puts an asterisk of any kind next to a NC is crazy. The year UCONN lost Ralph, then Abrosimova to injuries should have an asterisk because without those injuries, UCONN should have won the NC? No way. You could go on and on every year for shoulda, woulda, coulda. Does the best team win every year? Absolutely not. Do the 2 best teams always meet in the final game? Absolutely not.

We will never know if UCONN would have beaten Baylor in the NC game. Baylor took the lead late in the Louisville game after coming all the way back from 20 down, had all the momentum, and still lost. To put an asterisk of any kind next to our NC #8 demeans it and I think that is wrong. I guess NC losers any year can console themselves with a mental asterisk, but the reality is only 1 team wins and this year it was UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No offense, but anyone who puts an asterisk of any kind next to a NC is crazy. The year UCONN lost Ralph, then Abrosimova to injuries should have an asterisk because without those injuries, UCONN should have won the NC. You could go on and on every year for shoulda, woulda, coulda. Does the best team win every year? Absolutely not.

We will never know if UCONN would have stomped Baylor in the NC game. Baylor took the lead late in the Louisville game after coming all the way back from 20 down, had all the momentum, and still lost. To put an asterisk of any kind next to our NC #8 demeans it and I think that is wrong. I guess NC losers any year can console themselves with a mental asterisk, but the reality is only 1 team wins and this year it was UCONN.

Seems to me that you have a mental asterisk next to that UCONN year of injury...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No offense, but anyone who puts an asterisk of any kind next to a NC is crazy. The year UCONN lost Ralph, then Abrosimova to injuries should have an asterisk because without those injuries, UCONN should have won the NC? No way. You could go on and on every year for shoulda, woulda, coulda. Does the best team win every year? Absolutely not. Do the 2 best teams always meet in the final game? Absolutely not.

We will never know if UCONN would have beaten Baylor in the NC game. Baylor took the lead late in the Louisville game after coming all the way back from 20 down, had all the momentum, and still lost. To put an asterisk of any kind next to our NC #8 demeans it and I think that is wrong. I guess NC losers any year can console themselves with a mental asterisk, but the reality is only 1 team wins and this year it was UCONN.

Yes...I fully respect what UCONN did. This thread was to discuss UCONN not being a unanimous number 1 pick and I am just giving my opinion on why.

I would have voted UCONN nubmer 1, as well. They won...nobody else did...end of story.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let me clearly state, UCONN did what THEY had to do. They could not play teams that did not advance. And with the way Stewart was playing I don't know hat Baylor could have beaten them. But we will also never get to see that championship matchup between Stewart and Griner, which is a shame. I would have loved to have seen that. Instead we got to see Louisville lay a big egg.
Louisville didn't lay an egg - UConn wholloped them, same as the Huskies did in their 12 previous meetings. The physical play didn't bother UConn the way it did Baylor.

The refs let Louisville and Baylor play. Baylor should have made an in-game adjustment rather than wait for the refs to change. As it was, I thought the refs were, let's say, generous to Baylor late in the second half.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Louisville didn't lay an egg - Uconn wholloped them, as the Huskies did in their 12 previous meetings. the physical play didn't bother UConn the way it did Baylor.

The refs let Louisville and Baylor play. Baylor should have made an in-game adjustment rather than wait for the refs to change. As it was, I thought the refs were, let's say, generous to Baylor late in the second half.

Nan, I think you have watched enough basketball in your life to know that what was done to BG does not fall under the category of "physical play." There is no comparison between the two games in those terms....none.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, I think you have watched enough basketball in your lfve to know that what was done to BG does not fall under the category of "physical play." There is no comparison between the two games in those terms....none.
I was lucky enough to sit on press row for one game while Diana Taurasi played atUConn. I could clearly see that she was absolutely covered with black and blue bruises from the holds and hacks. She even had long scratches on her arm from shaking off defenders. Yet, she somehow led her team to three championships. Maya Moore was so beat up, she had to wear rib protectors under her uniform. She led her team to a couple championships, too. BTW, I bet Breanna Stewart has a few bruises as well. Such is the life of the superstar.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
FYI...I will stomp my sour grapes tonight and drink wine the rest of the weekend.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to sit on press row for one game while Diana Taurasi played atUConn. I coild clearly see that she was absolutely covered with black and blue bruises from the holds and hacks. She even had long scratches on her arm from shaking off defenders. Yet, she somehow led her team to three championships. Maya Moore was so beat up, she had to wear rib protectors under her uniform. She led her team to a couple championships, too. BTW, I bet Breanna Stewart has a few bruises as well. Such is the life of the superstar.

Well, Breanna is not very tanned...her bruises are easy to see.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is a shame that these superstar players are so much better than other players that coaches resort to such tactics. Quite frankly, EDD got beat up a LOT in games that I watched but as Gary Blair says "they can't call 'em all" and coaches know that and will use it to their advantage.

I do look forward to being in the WNBA where the qualify of ref is much better and the game is, mostly, called consistently.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to sit on press row for one game while Diana Taurasi played atUConn. I could clearly see that she was absolutely covered with black and blue bruises from the holds and hacks. She even had long scratches on her arm from shaking off defenders. Yet, she somehow led her team to three championships. Maya Moore was so beat up, she had to wear rib protectors under her uniform. She led her team to a couple championships, too. BTW, I bet Breanna Stewart has a few bruises as well. Such is the life of the superstar.

Except of course, for Skylar Diggins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits