UCONN/ND prediction: poetry in motion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN/ND prediction: poetry in motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What Kiah does when she is on her game, at least defensively, is to discourage opponents from driving the lane with no fear. Our guards have shown that they are fully capable of being blown by for layups. Kiah stops that. If, as you say, pvdoggy, she isn't in there long enough to get a 10-10-5 stat line, look for Jewel Lloyd to go off for 25, and ND winning. JMO...

People can overlook it when you are winning by a big margin in the last few games, but the guards (Jefferson, KML, and even Nurse) continually get driven by guards from Vandy and GB. Meghan Cuomo mentioned that may times in the broadcast about the continued problem of UConn guards unable to keep the other guards in front of them. I think Lloyd and Allen will give the UConn guards a lot of problem like what the Stanford's guards did. I still hope UConn win.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Guards as quick as Stanford's or Notre Dave's will often get past any defender. Even Kelly or Kalana would have trouble with them.

The problem in the Stanford game was that there was no help defense in the same area code as the opposing guard with the ball. I thought that problem appeared to be fixed in Florida (granting that the opposition wasn't of the same quality).

I don't think that the Irish can win if that part of their offense is neutralized. Ms. Mabrey is not going to beat UConn all by herself from the three-point line, and Turner is not going to score consistently on UConn's bigs.

By the way, I don't think Stanford played exceptionally well in their game against UConn; I thought UConn played poorly on defense. I don't expect to see that repeated against the Irish.

Reaction Score
By the way, I don't think Stanford played exceptionally well in their game against UConn; I thought UConn played poorly on defense. I don't expect to see that repeated against the Irish.

I agree with this... I have rewatched the Stanford game a couple times and I still find it shocking that UConn lost and it is mainly due to defense. Another thing I have not heard people mentioned, but I see it over and over in games, Jefferson gambles a lot on defense, which is what happened in the last possession in the Stanford game as well. I rather see Jefferson plays tight but normal defense. Gamble does not pay off as much as people think.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Turner is their 2nd leading scorer at 15 ppg, averages just under 2 blks and 2 steals per game and is one of the best posts in the country right? Reimer while not being as good as Turner also averages 9 pts and 7 rebs and is a very solid player in the post.
How many teams with any size and strength up front has she played against so far? She didn't do anything against Kansas. Let's see how she fares against Maryland in a few hours.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
How many teams with any size and strength up front has she played against so far? She didn't do anything against Kansas. Let's see how she fares against Maryland in a few hours.

She was instrumental in the 2nd half against Michigan State, easily the best team ND has played.

Also, 7 pts, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals in 21 minutes is far from nothing.

Reaction Score
The new Uconn(post Stanford) is vastly improved. On a neutral or home court I believe we're the best team in the country. On their home court it's not so clear. All I feel comfortable in predicting is a close game. If Stewie is Stewie we'll win.

Reaction Score
Those manhattans must have been good and strong, Win! ;) Seriously, that was inspired!

CHI: Thank you.....inspired is certainly a wonderful compliment. Re the manhattan reference, sounds like the voice of some experience? Actually, that poem night was one of the nights I call an "A" night, for abstain.

(Not that anyone cares about such things, but a couple of you might find this interesting: my wife is active on the Scholarship Committee at her church, and some years back, they awarded one to a wonderful young Albanian girl who was a recent arrival from her homeland. We've become social pals, and when one or the other of the family is able to go back home for a visit, they bring us a small random bottle of what they proudly call "Moonshine." It's white and powerful.....and tonight was cold, damp, and dreary. End of story. ) PS: for Albanians to be permitted to come to the US, they must enter and win a lottery.....no money, just permission to come to the USA. How about that??

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the N.D./Maryland game and if N.D. plays the same way against UCONN they will lose. Maryland was able to drive the lane pretty easily for a lot of lay-ups and a bunch of mid range shots. They got a lot of open threes as well. The only reason they lost is they didn't shoot nearly as well as N.D. Plus N.D. got 16 more foul shots as Maryland.

I believe Tuck and Nurse will drive the lane easily, KML will get at least 10 open looks for her threes and Stewie will kill them in the paint. On the defensive end UCONN will have to play a lot better than they did against Stanford or N.D. will eat them up on driving to the basket. It will be interesting to see how Geno defends against Jewel. Does he play Kia or Moriah or possibly switch off on her. She will be a handful no matter how he defends against her. If Gabby lines up against Jewel it will be fun just to see the jumping match. Should be a great game and I go with UCONN by 7.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree with this... I have rewatched the Stanford game a couple times and I still find it shocking that UConn lost and it is mainly due to defense. Another thing I have not heard people mentioned, but I see it over and over in games, Jefferson gambles a lot on defense, which is what happened in the last possession in the Stanford game as well. I rather see Jefferson plays tight but normal defense. Gamble does not pay off as much as people think.
She flat out blew it on that play by not staying with her defender to trap a player who was already double teamed.

Reaction Score
I think that ND is going to follow Stanford's blueprint and try to take KML out of the game, pack the paint, double down on Stewart and force UConn to beat them from the outside. On offense I think that ND will spread the floor in a 4qtrs set and penetrate with either Allen or Loyd. Then they will have Reimer and Turner diving in for the pass or rebound. UConn has not yet proven it can defend the perimeter and I think that ND is going to try to exploit that. Also as much as I hate ND IMHO there is not a better in game X's and O's coach as McGraw.

sawxfan23- - - With all respect, you have to be freaking kidding me? Muffett is a better in game X's & O's coach than Geno Auriemma! It's not even close! Geno is the best coach in WBB today! Yes he has made some beaut's in the past, end of Duke game, end of St.John's game, and a couple others! But as a 1/2 time innovator and during game coach, Muffett is dualing with an unloaded gun!
He has came up with a game plan to shut down the opposition's most dangerous player 95%+ of the time!
In the Stanford game, Stanford didn't win, UCONN LOST the game! As many mistakes as UCONN made they lost by 2 points in 2OT's!
As in the NCAA Finals slaughter of ND, the Irish's bigs have no clue how to stop UCONN's bigs. Even without Stefanie Dolson, KML, Stewie, Stokes, Tuck, & Williams are going to have a field day with Reimer, Turner, Wright, or anyone else ND has inside. Who guards Stewie? Who guards KML? Who guards Tuck? Which ND big can match Stokes blocks & rebounding? Who is as athletic as Williams? The guards are a wash, with maybe a slight edge to Nurse and MoJeff over Allen and Loyd! Granted with Chong in the game ND has the offensive edge!
Loyd is ND's ONLY legitimate STAR PLAYER! They have some good players but are not going to stop all that UCONN brings to the table!
I think UCONN down the road is at least 20 points better but at ND Dec. 6th, I see UCONN winning 76-59! I do think the refs will bend over backwards to GIVE ND the game, but UCONN will pull it out by shear strength of numbers!

Reaction Score
Muffet is a great in-game Xs and Os coach. I don't like her smirking attitude and she looks like she could start stomping on the side lines any moment, but I will give her credit where it is due. How quickly some forget how many times she coached her team to a victory over UConn. What was it 4 or 5 wins between the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons? How many close games has UConn won in the last decade? How many OT games? If it's close, and given that it's on the road, you have to give the edge to ND.

HoopsFans21- - - As Warner Wolf used to say "let's go to the video tapes!" If you watch the ND over UCONN games, UCONN didn't play UCONN ball not because of ND but because of the way the refs had called the previous games, the refs loved Diggins and let her get away with murder! ND was allowed to charge into the lane and UCONN was called for the fouls! UCONN lost these games more that ND won! UCONN players got gun-shy and didn't play defense as aggressively as they usually do for fear of fouling out! When UCONN played as only UCONN can play they beat the Irish decisively! Look at the two rosters and UCONN now has more weapons than ND does!
My only fear is the refs determine who wins as they did years earlier!

Reaction Score
sawxfan23- - - With all respect, you have to be freaking kidding me? Muffett is a better in game X's & O's coach than Geno Auriemma! It's not even close! Geno is the best coach in WBB today! Yes he has made some beaut's in the past, end of Duke game, end of St.John's game, and a couple others! But as a 1/2 time innovator and during game coach, Muffett is dualing with an unloaded gun!
He has came up with a game plan to shut down the opposition's most dangerous player 95%+ of the time!
In the Stanford game, Stanford didn't win, UCONN LOST the game! As many mistakes as UCONN made they lost by 2 points in 2OT's!
As in the NCAA Finals slaughter of ND, the Irish's bigs have no clue how to stop UCONN's bigs. Even without Stefanie Dolson, KML, Stewie, Stokes, Tuck, & Williams are going to have a field day with Reimer, Turner, Wright, or anyone else ND has inside. Who guards Stewie? Who guards KML? Who guards Tuck? Which ND big can match Stokes blocks & rebounding? Who is as athletic as Williams? The guards are a wash, with maybe a slight edge to Nurse and MoJeff over Allen and Loyd! Granted with Chong in the game ND has the offensive edge!
Loyd is ND's ONLY legitimate STAR PLAYER! They have some good players but are not going to stop all that UCONN brings to the table!
I think UCONN down the road is at least 20 points better but at ND Dec. 6th, I see UCONN winning 76-59! I do think the refs will bend over backwards to GIVE ND the game, but UCONN will pull it out by shear strength of numbers!

First off I agree that Geno is the BEST COACH in the game today. He is the best recruiter, best motivator, best team builder, best manager of egos, but he is IMHO not the best at in game X's and O's adjustments. If you look at the matchups between UConn and Notre Dame over the past few years through "unbiased and impartial glasses" it is absolutely plain to see by anyone with even a clue about basketball that McGraw is a better in game coach. Look at how many close games that were won by Notre Dame because that is when coaching shows up. In the Stamford game that you allude to there were multiple times in which UConn was not prepared. They could not stop the SAME exact play by Stanford at all in OT, they could not even inbound the ball following a TO, they came out of TO's on the defensive end and were confused who there man to guard was, all these are coaching related. Honestly, I think that the Turner injury is going to hurt Notre Dame significantly and that UConn now is the favorite to win this game of really evenly matched teams but to think that "down the road UConn is at least 20 points better" is just ABSURD.

Reaction Score
HoopsFans21- - - As Warner Wolf used to say "let's go to the video tapes!" If you watch the ND over UCONN games, UCONN didn't play UCONN ball not because of ND but because of the way the refs had called the previous games, the refs loved Diggins and let her get away with murder! ND was allowed to charge into the lane and UCONN was called for the fouls! UCONN lost these games more that ND won! UCONN players got gun-shy and didn't play defense as aggressively as they usually do for fear of fouling out! When UCONN played as only UCONN can play they beat the Irish decisively! Look at the two rosters and UCONN now has more weapons than ND does!
My only fear is the refs determine who wins as they did years earlier!
There's a reason UConn loses most close and OT games. And not just against ND. You tell me. It's not dumb bad luck or entirely on the players. The players are not well prepared for certain real world game situations where it comes down to make it or lose. Maybe the coaching staff does work on this in practice and our players year after year are just dumb or crack under pressure, but I doubt that's the case.

Reaction Score
The Turner injury will be a factor in the game. I rewatched the play that caused the injury. Turner stuck her right arm in contesting a rebound. Unfortunately for Turner, The Maryland player had both hands on the ball and was able to jerk the ball away pulling Turner's arm. Turner immediately walked over to the bench while the announcers continued with their chatter, oblivious to what just happened on the court. The last report I read is that an MRI will be taken today.
Without Turner UConn is a clear favorite. If Turner can play at full effectiveness, the game will probably be decided in the final few minutes, IMHO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If she dislocated her shoulder in the process it can result in a torn labrum. That injury completely changed the bear cub's career. He had surgery twice and gave up playing his senior year.

Reaction Score
The Turner injury will be a factor in the game. I rewatched the play that caused the injury. Turner stuck her right arm in contesting a rebound. Unfortunately for Turner, The Maryland player had both hands on the ball and was able to jerk the ball away pulling Turner's arm. Turner immediately walked over to the bench while the announcers continued with their chatter, oblivious to what just happened on the court. The last report I read is that an MRI will be taken today.
Without Turner UConn is a clear favorite. If Turner can play at full effectiveness, the game will probably be decided in the final few minutes, IMHO.
First, I hope she is OK. Second, I want her to be 100% and play against UConn so we don't have to hear about the injury non-stop like we did with Achonwa in the final last year.

Reaction Score
There's a reason UConn loses most close and OT games. And not just against ND. You tell me. It's not dumb bad luck or entirely on the players. The players are not well prepared for certain real world game situations where it comes down to make it or lose. Maybe the coaching staff does work on this in practice and our players year after year are just dumb or crack under pressure, but I doubt that's the case.

We had a whole thread on this a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to avoid a reprise of that here. It's true, UConn hasn't had a good record in close games over the last few years. Before that bad streak they had won 7 of 8 close games with the same coaching staff. The loss to Stanford was disconcerting but has about as much to do with how they played 3 years ago (the start of losing close games) with how they did 4 years ago (the end of winning close games)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn ND will be a classic game again. Lets not compare last nites MD ND game to UConn. MD is not UConn and MD has no defense, no go to player(s) and is not a very good team at all. ND ran around them like they weren't there. It was terrible to watch. ND cleared their bench in the first half to avoid a total embarrassment. UConn will be fine. We have the shooters that MD didn't have. If you noticed MD had penetrating guards so does UConn. Don't forget Turner didn't play last nite for ND and Reimer went off almost not ever defended. That wont happen against UConn. I stick to what I said in other threads. UConn by double digits .

As far as continually bringing up the games UConn lost to ND in the past. In the past ND had Diggins and MCBride and ND got the benefit of charge calls. D and Mac have graduated and the charge calls were not called last season in Uconns 20+ pt win. We have two different teams on Saturday. UConn has 5 very good scorers who can put up a lot of points. ND will have to defend our dribble drive and penetration as much as we have to defend theirs. Losing those past games late was due to foul trouble and Diggins. You cant defend when your in foul troubld and without a bench to back you up. We have a better bench now and those charging calls wont be called as frequently as they were in the past. I really think fans will be surprised how good this UConn team is now as opposed to earlier in the season. Nurse is a tuff player and that will show up big time on Saturday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If she dislocated her shoulder in the process it can result in a torn labrum. That injury completely changed the bear cub's career. He had surgery twice and gave up playing his senior year.

A dislocated shoulder was my first thought after the injury occurred. Turner let her right arm hang strait down and put her left hand on the upper portion of her right arm as she walked back to the bench. Of course, this is all speculation at this point. The MRI should provide the information needed for a diagnosis later today. I hope it isn't serious and that she'll be able to play this weekend. It would make for a better game.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
CHI: Thank you.....inspired is certainly a wonderful compliment. Re the manhattan reference, sounds like the voice of some experience? Actually, that poem night was one of the nights I call an "A" night, for abstain.

(Not that anyone cares about such things, but a couple of you might find this interesting: my wife is active on the Scholarship Committee at her church, and some years back, they awarded one to a wonderful young Albanian girl who was a recent arrival from her homeland. We've become social pals, and when one or the other of the family is able to go back home for a visit, they bring us a small random bottle of what they proudly call "Moonshine." It's white and powerful.....and tonight was cold, damp, and dreary. End of story. ) PS: for Albanians to be permitted to come to the US, they must enter and win a lottery.....no money, just permission to come to the USA. How about that??

Win - interesting information on the visa lottery. BTW, I am not a manhattan drinker, more of a white wine woman....but a small nip of Frangelico on a raw night does sometimes happen in the deep of winter...:)

Reaction Score
One of Muffet's strategies is to get into the opposing team's bench, as she said in her post game interview after last year's final. Perhaps this explains all the flopping.

Reaction Score
... Coach McGraw (WHO I ABSOLUTLY DESPISE) is a great in game X's and O's...
Wait, that's tic tack toe your talking about. After watching Ms Muffet for quite a few years, I can definetely admit she is wonderful at children's games.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wow. Sounds like a job application to work with Muffet.
Me thinks you have forgoten to figure in that Stanford game was quite a while ago.
OK, they take out KML, but there's the little things UConn has in Kia KILLER Nurse, MoJett, Stewie, Kiah HAMMER Stokes and Tuck. Oh yeah, Chong, Williams, Edwards, Lawlor, Pulido, Geno, Dailey, Shea and Moseley.
Muffet Tuffet can have her curds and wey. Oh yeah, you called them Xs and Os.....

To me the key is Mo, playing at her best. In the Stanford game she was very passive (dare i say listless)
During the sojourn in Florida she rediscovered the essence of her game.
And the correct balance with her new back-court mate, Ms Nurse.
They may get beat off the dribble a time or two
But they will give ND fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member