UCONN/ND prediction: poetry in motion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN/ND prediction: poetry in motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
sawxfan23 and HoopFans21 - - - Having watched UCONN practice many times over the years and listening to ex-players talk about practices I can't believe that the players are unprepared for games! I think as all players are human some do not react exactly as coached in time of stress! Were you really surprised that Kiah Stokes froze and through the ball backwards to KML with only seconds left in the Stanford game?
As Tonyc said in his post above these are 2 different teams than the ones that have played the last several years. Where ND had Diggins, McBride, Achonwa, Loyd, Novosel, etal, they now only have Loyd as a superstar player! While UCONN has offensively gifted- KML, Stewart, Tuck, MoJeff, Nurse, and Chong (just offensively)! With Stokes dominating defensively with rebounds & blocked shots the 2 teams is like comparing an Uzi vs a derringer or comparing Mr. Ed to Secreteriat!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
BigBird said:
I am almost afraid to ask, but why does it seem that officiating, both phantom calls and otherwise tends to play a bigger than average role in games played at ND?

you need to take a look at some archived games...very closely

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
Muffet is a great in-game Xs and Os coach. I don't like her smirking attitude and she looks like she could start stomping on the side lines any moment, but I will give her credit where it is due. How quickly some forget how many times she coached her team to a victory over UConn. What was it 4 or 5 wins between the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons? How many close games has UConn won in the last decade? How many OT games? If it's close, and given that it's on the road, you have to give the edge to ND.

what is the overall record?

Reaction Score
I am almost afraid to ask, but why does it seem that officiating, both phantom calls and otherwise tends to play a bigger than average role in games played at ND?

BB: if you had been able to watch ND football over the years, you wouldn't even have to ask that question ;):rolleyes:. I have a wonderful story about a Big Ten ref I met who officiated an ND home game several decades back.

Reaction Score
Win - interesting information on the visa lottery. BTW, I am not a manhattan drinker, more of a white wine woman....but a small nip of Frangelico on a raw night does sometimes happen in the deep of winter...:)

CHI: thank you again. Your nice post here brought a warm smile to go with that Frangelico some raw night. You stay well.

Reaction Score
sawxfan23 and HoopFans21 - - - Having watched UCONN practice many times over the years and listening to ex-players talk about practices I can't believe that the players are unprepared for games! I think as all players are human some do not react exactly as coached in time of stress! Were you really surprised that Kiah Stokes froze and through the ball backwards to KML with only seconds left in the Stanford game?
As Tonyc said in his post above these are 2 different teams than the ones that have played the last several years. Where ND had Diggins, McBride, Achonwa, Loyd, Novosel, etal, they now only have Loyd as a superstar player! While UCONN has offensively gifted- KML, Stewart, Tuck, MoJeff, Nurse, and Chong (just offensively)! With Stokes dominating defensively with rebounds & blocked shots the 2 teams is like comparing an Uzi vs a derringer or comparing Mr. Ed to Secreteriat!

RSH: terrific line on Mr. Ed vs. Secretariat. Keep em coming.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ND leads the country in points per possession. Maybe Mr. Ed should have run the Belmont.

Reaction Score
1. That is not what I said. I said to double down on Stewart when she enters the post. If UConn shots perimeter jump shots all game then there is not a doubt in my mind that UConn will get beat.
2. The defense is getting better but is not even close to the defense of the past. Even in the Gulf Coast Tournament stopping the oppoenents guards fronm penetrating has been a problem. It was covered up in large part by the inability of those lesser teams to make shots but I agree it has been getting better but I don't think it is good enough just yet.
3. Coach McGraw (WHO I ABSOLUTLY DESPISE) is a great in game X's and O's coach an honestly has won at least 3 games against UConn by coaching. Last year ND got EVERY shot they wanted against UConn they just didn't make them. Not that that would have made a difference because UConn was by far the best team in the country last year. Talent not coaching won last years NC.

Listen, do I hope UConn will win? Of course I do! I am a diehard UConn fan but I also have watched ND repeatedly and they are a very good team.

I'd like to see Saniya:
1. Keep her eyes on the players's waist that she's guarding. The players can't go anywhere without moving their waist.
2. Stay in front of whomever she's guarding. Pick's are going to happen but make sure someone switches off (yell it out).
3. Take more midrange shots. Drive and dish the ball off. She dished off to Kiah a couple of games ago and Kiah missed an easy shot.
4. Maybe sneak in and get a few more rebounds.

As for last year's game I think it might've been different if Achonwa hadn't been injured.

If ND tries to double team Stewie? Someone will be open. ;-)

Reaction Score
"sawxfan23, post: 1152060, member: 4413"]First off I agree that Geno is the BEST COACH in the game today. He is the best recruiter, best motivator, best team builder, best manager of egos, but he is IMHO not the best at in game X's and O's adjustments. I look at the matchups between UConn and Notre Dame over the past few years through "unbiased and impartial glasses" it is absolutely plain to see by anyone with even a clue about basketball that McGraw is a better in game coach.

I think Geno is better, guess I'm just clueless

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's a reason UConn loses most close and OT games. And not just against ND. You tell me. It's not dumb bad luck or entirely on the players. The players are not well prepared for certain real world game situations where it comes down to make it or lose. Maybe the coaching staff does work on this in practice and our players year after year are just dumb or crack under pressure, but I doubt that's the case.

What is the reason? Are you saying the coaching staff does not work on this in practice? I'm confused because if the coaches do work on it, and it's not dumb luck, and the players are not dumb or crack under pressure what's left?

Reaction Score
What is the reason? Are you saying the coaching staff does not work on this in practice? I'm confused because if the coaches do work on it, and it's not dumb luck, and the players are not dumb or crack under pressure what's left?
They're unprepared. That falls on the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
ND leads the country in points per possession. Maybe Mr. Ed should have run the Belmont.

ORANG: Hilarious....snorted out loud on that one. Likahsay, keep em comin.

Reaction Score
UCONN is one of, if not the best prepared teams over a two decade period. That said, I believe that no amount of 'down 2, 30 seconds left' type drills prepares for reality when the players are rarely in that position in real-time. It comes down to mental toughness (DT comes to mind immediately) to be able to not be distracted by the thought of losing and just do your job. Distracted, fearful players do not perform as they are capable of doing, and while sports psych work can help individual players, some of us have more fear of failure, which often becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Reaction Score
UCONN is one of, if not the best prepared teams over a two decade period. That said, I believe that no amount of 'down 2, 30 seconds left' type drills prepares for reality when the players are rarely in that position in real-time. It comes down to mental toughness (DT comes to mind immediately) to be able to not be distracted by the thought of losing and just do your job. Distracted, fearful players do not perform as they are capable of doing, and while sports psych work can help individual players, some of us have more fear of failure, which often becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.
Yeah but even if you put aside make it or lose/last shot of the game situations, they are awful coming out of time outs too. They almost always take the use it or lose it with about :20 left in the first half if they have the ball, and they just look like a disorganized mess. I don't get it. Maybe the coaches should just let them play rather than have them thinking too much about who is going where and doing what.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the first 5 minutes or so in the Maryland game (the only part that mattered).
Maryland got tons of easy shots close to the hoop
And Notre Dame rebounded so poorly that even the announcers noticed it.
If they play in a like manner against UConn, they will have a very difficult evening.

Reaction Score
In the first 5 minutes or so in the Maryland game (the only part that mattered).
Maryland got tons of easy shots close to the hoop
And Notre Dame rebounded so poorly that even the announcers noticed it.
If they play in a like manner against UConn, they will have a very difficult evening.
They may have been looking forward a game. Seems to slow a team down until it can settle with playing the team in front of them. UConn looms!

Reaction Score
There's a reason UConn loses most close and OT games. And not just against ND. You tell me. It's not dumb bad luck or entirely on the players. The players are not well prepared for certain real world game situations where it comes down to make it or lose. Maybe the coaching staff does work on this in practice and our players year after year are just dumb or crack under pressure, but I doubt that's the case.
They're unprepared. That falls on the coaching staff.

I've never coached and have never played organized ball so I'm trying learn the intricacies of the game. How does a coach prepare a team for a close game that depends on the last shot in the final seconds? In my muddled mind it seems like there are too many variables involved to be able to practice all the possibilities. I think it is a game time thing where you draw up a play or make defensive assignments. I must be wrong though because then the execution falls on the players. I think the players have equal responsibility. So what is it that I'm not seeing?

Reaction Score
I might as well get in on the predictions: ND by three. I base this on two primary things. First, home court advantage will help a team that's pretty well-matched with the Huskies. Second, their tendency to try to get players in foul trouble. UConn's key defender is a freshman and although I think she's terrific, I dout she's seen anything quite like the ND driving-and-flopping.

Reaction Score
UConn 82-74. Mainly because Turner doesn't play or, if she does play, is not as effective as she normally would be. With a fully healthy Turner and with it being played in South Bend, I think the game would be a toss-up.

Reaction Score
If Stewie is able to get 25- 30 points we win. If Muffet does what every other team has done and roughs up Stewie and gets in her head we will struggle. We don't have a Dolson anymore to dump into in the post anymore for an easy 15 points. At Gampell it may be a different story but at ND it will be a battle. At the end of the year I think with Nurse and Williams more experienced will be a different story. Sort of early for UConn to beat ND at ND.
Why does it sound like more than a few people regard UConn as a one person team. I know that Stewie is a phenomenal talent but it almost sounds as if some people feel that we CANNOT win unless she plays well. If she were sick with the flu, does that mean that we couldn't beat anyone??? I really think that's so over the top that it bothers me. If we are supposed to be so good, how could we be so one dimensional. Other good teams have had injuries to key players and went out and kicked b*tt but we can't. Come on, that's silly. Earlier this season people were talking about potential All-Americans galore on this team and now without a stellar game from Breanna, we lose????? I don't buy it! Remember, we are UCONN!

Reaction Score
Really? "AS MUCH AS I HATE ND" is what I prefaced my comment with is definitely an application. You got me. Stanford was all of 2 weeks ago, that is an eternity.
I don't understand. You seem to be talking of UConn deficiencies, particularly on the defensives sides between last years team and this years and yet you don't think that Notre Dame might not have any? You are basing this on how many Notre Dame games you've seen???? Is UConn as good as they were last year, at least at this point? Well, what about Notre Dame. How can you lose the players they've lost and think they're the same? I'm not buying it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Any news on Turner's shoulder and MRI?

I sure would like to see her healthy and in the lineup tomorrow, but I wonder if this will keep her out for a little while. Shoulder injuries can take a while to heal and can also recur if you're not careful, so if I had to bet, I'd bet she sits. Hope I'm wrong, however.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Any news on Turner's shoulder and MRI?

I sure would like to see her healthy and in the lineup tomorrow, but I wonder if this will keep her out for a little while. Shoulder injuries can take a while to heal and can also recur if you're not careful, so if I had to bet, I'd bet she sits. Hope I'm wrong, however.

Not yet. McGraw had a press conference yesterday. She said they were going to talk to the doctors after the press conference and before yesterday's practice. Nothing has come out since then.

Reaction Score
First off I agree that Geno is the BEST COACH in the game today. He is the best recruiter, best motivator, best team builder, best manager of egos, but he is IMHO not the best at in game X's and O's adjustments. If you look at the matchups between UConn and Notre Dame over the past few years through "unbiased and impartial glasses" it is absolutely plain to see by anyone with even a clue about basketball that McGraw is a better in game coach. Look at how many close games that were won by Notre Dame because that is when coaching shows up. In the Stamford game that you allude to there were multiple times in which UConn was not prepared. They could not stop the SAME exact play by Stanford at all in OT, they could not even inbound the ball following a TO, they came out of TO's on the defensive end and were confused who there man to guard was, all these are coaching related. Honestly, I think that the Turner injury is going to hurt Notre Dame significantly and that UConn now is the favorite to win this game of really evenly matched teams but to think that "down the road UConn is at least 20 points better" is just ABSURD.
Are you serious that their rosters are evenly matched? Notre Dame has one player that's even in conversation for national honors and UConn has a minimum of three. As has been mentioned, the previous Notre Dame "dominance" was winning close games that were only close as a result of totally distorted refereeing where Notre Dame was allowed to charge through the center of the UConn defense like a bull in a china shop and instead of offensive fouls (numerous) or no calls, Duggins and company somehow were able to get to the foul line where they scored an appreciable amount of their points. Inevitably, as a result of foul issues, UConn started playing cautiously to avoid more ridiculous calls or actually fouled out, another distinct Notre Dame advantage. When something gets into your head, you play tentatively. What about that ridiculous shot by McBride in that triple overtime game when she shot a three from downtown and it bounced over the rim and spun around and inevitably dropped in to the shock of everyone to send the game into the first overtime. What decision did Geno make to cause some usually excellent foul shooters to miss more than a few of the first of one and ones that could have sealed the victory? Everyone knows Muffett is a heckuva coach but to somehow spin this that she outcoached Geno is so totally outrageous. There were a couple of other games where usually reliable and steady UConn players late in the game made poor decisions or poorly executed, totally contrary to their nature and Geno somehow should have prevented this or caused this by not acting in a certain fashion??? Ridiculous!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Are you serious that their rosters are evenly matched? Notre Dame has one player that's even in conversation for national honors and UConn has a minimum of three. As has been mentioned, the previous Notre Dame "dominance" was winning close games that were only close as a result of totally distorted refereeing where Notre Dame was allowed to charge through the center of the UConn defense like a bull in a china shop and instead of offensive fouls (numerous) or no calls, Duggins and company somehow were able to get to the foul line where they scored an appreciable amount of their points. Inevitably, as a result of foul issues, UConn started playing cautiously to avoid more ridiculous calls or actually fouled out, another distinct Notre Dame advantage. When something gets into your head, you play tentatively. What about that ridiculous shot by McBride in that triple overtime game when she shot a three from downtown and it bounced over the rim and spun around and inevitably dropped in to the shock of everyone to send the game into the first overtime. What decision did Geno make to cause some usually excellent foul shooters to miss more than a few of the first of one and ones that could have sealed the victory? Everyone knows Muffett is a heckuva coach but to somehow spin this that she outcoached Geno is so totally outrageous. There were a couple of other games where usually reliable and steady UConn players late in the game made poor decisions or poorly executed, totally contrary to their nature and Geno somehow should have prevented this or caused this by not acting in a certain fashion??? Ridiculous!

In the last ten match ups, Notre Dame has shot more free throws in 6 of the games, UCONN in 4.

Going into the game, you could argue Stanford didn't have anyone in the conversation for national honors, so I don't think that argument carries much merit. And Turner has been fantastic, she's a major threat for NFOY and All-American honors.

This match up is interesting, Notre Dame hasn't lost at home in 2 years and they have a very talented roster. Lindsey Allen is much more aggressive this year and has been outstanding their 2 games against ranked opponents. Reimer looks more mobile this year and should provide a bigger presence in the post than she did in last year's title game. Mabrey is streaky, but when she is on, she's one of the best shooters in the nation. Then you have the x-factors for Notre Dame in Loyd and Turner. Loyd hasn't played well in the past against UCONN. She'll need to have a monster night for Notre Dame to have a chance. Turner is the real xfactor though. She's the best match up Notre Dame has for Stewart and has the length and athleticism to be disruptive. Will she be healthy to play? I don't know if anything has been reported. On the flip side, she has been very good offensively, but hasn't faced any strong posts yet. Skill wise she still looks a bit raw, I wouldn't be surprised for her to be a taller, more athletic Ogwumike type where she has a strong freshman campaign as an athletic forward but blossoms into an All American as a sophomore.

UCONN will be tested. Their lack of composure late against Stanford was evident, and this will be a similar environment. They'll need a leader to step up when Notre Dame makes their run/runs. They'll need Stewart and or KML to have a huge night. Tuck needs to take smart shots, and Jefferson has to be aggressive offensively. I could see this game going one of two ways--I think if it's close, Notre Dame wins it. If the margin is 10+, UCONN will roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom