UConn @ NBA Summer Leagues | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn @ NBA Summer Leagues

Reaction Score
He’s been bad in the SL. I’m not sure I see him getting meaningful mins again.
I think he will get minutes this year. They traded Dyson Daniels and Naji Marshall signed with another team, so the bench is thin with guys at his position. Alvarado is a PG, so unless they give Antonio Reeves all the backup SG minutes then they have no choice but to play Hawkins

I still have hope in him, he's been playing an iso scoring PG in summer league which is not his game at all. If he can truly play to his sharpshooter playstyle and have plays ran where he can run off ball and come off screens in the NBA, I think he will be successful

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
these are shots he needs to make if you want to be a lead guard in the NBA. other than a couple of forced pull-ups these 3s and shots at the rim are within the flow of the offense and makeable. his inefficiency has been magnified 10x here.
He was pretty inefficient here too. He just played in a really great offense that gave him easy looks and he got to the line a lot.

His game was always interesting when you looked up and he had 15 8 and 8 and you wondered how he got there lol

But he’s gotta be more efficient in the NBA to have a chance.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think he will get minutes this year. They traded Dyson Daniels and Naji Marshall signed with another team, so the bench is thin with guys at his position. Alvarado is a PG, so unless they give Antonio Reeves all the backup SG minutes then they have no choice but to play Hawkins

I still have hope in him, he's been playing an iso scoring PG in summer league which is not his game at all. If he can truly play to his sharpshooter playstyle and have plays ran where he can run off ball and come off screens in the NBA, I think he will be successful
Their roster as is is

Murray
CJ
BI
Zion
C(?)

The wing minutes as is are going to Murphy and Herb unless they move BI and don’t bring in anyone else there. He HAS to get going to earn minutes on the team.

And as a guy they aren’t building around, he’ll have to do it without the offense being designed for him.

Reaction Score
yea but we are at the "need to spread propaganda to control the narrative" stage of it being pretty bad.

the problem is not just newton, hawkins struggling too.
I find myself rationalizing it, too, seeing it through navy blue Husky glasses. When I realize I am in the middle of that I slap myself on the wrist.

From what I have watched, Hawkins has been bad in the Summer League, but I will say I think he is working on things that he is weak at like the ball handling and finishing at the rim on his drives etc. The latter is really important because the opposing scouting reports are going to make taking away the 3 pt shooting the priority on Hawk.

I am praying to the Basketball Gods that Newton at least gets a two-way contract. From yesterday's game, not the game a few hours ago today, he went 1 for 9, but I actually thought the game was a net positive for him as he ran the offense and got 6 assists and his defense was really good, he got rebounds on offense as well as defense and he forced turnovers. He never let the bad shooting demoralize him or effect his effort which I thought reflected well on him. However, he really needs to turn the shooting around and I mean now.

Reaction Score
I find myself rationalizing it, too, seeing it through navy blue Husky glasses. When I realize I am in the middle of that I slap myself on the wrist.

From what I have watched, Hawkins has been bad in the Summer League, but I will say I think he is working on things that he is weak at like the ball handling and finishing at the rim on his drives etc. The latter is really important because the opposing scouting reports are going to make taking away the 3 pt shooting the priority on Hawk.

I am praying to the Basketball Gods that Newton at least gets a two-way contract. From yesterday's game, not the game a few hours ago today, he went 1 for 9, but I actually thought the game was a net positive for him as he ran the offense and got 6 assists and his defense was really good, he got rebounds on offense as well as defense and he forced turnovers. He never let the bad shooting demoralize him or effect his effort which I thought reflected well on him. However, he really needs to turn the shooting around and I mean now.

He’s been getting a good amount of assists but the Pacers as a whole have been atrocious in summer league. Having said that, he’s probably getting a 2-way contract. They had 3 to give out, and with Jalen Smith moving on to the Bulls they have one open roster spot most likely going to Furphy.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately the only thing Hawkins is really NBA level good at is shooting. He's gotta be at like 45% on threes for that to work out for him.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the only thing Hawkins is really NBA level good at is shooting. He's gotta be at like 45% on threes for that to work out for him.
He’s got the athleticism too. The combination should evolve into a good player before too long with the right development.

Reaction Score
Donovan collects the ball on an awfully high percentage of his blocks. Much more effective than blocking them out of bounds or into the hands of an opponent.
Emeka was really good at that (blocking shots and keeping them in bounds to retrieve) vs swatting them 5 rows into the stands.

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen this before. It shows the relationship between Summer League stats and regular season stats. None of it is too surprising, and it bodes well for someone leading Summer League in blocks and rebounds.

Reaction Score
Late here but its not a shock to see DC struggle with his FG %, I just think he still showed some serious flashes as a passer and general offensive IQ. Guards are really looking for their own stuff in SL or making those skip passes for threes off pnr ive noticed, vs trying to get DC the ball on the move when he slips. Not making excuses, he has to develop into a more competent finisher as the year goes on.

Very excited to watch him again if he plays (might get shut down?), his defense is already there. I did get a bit nervous when the other team started bringing up the screen very high and forcing Clingan to step up from drop... but he is learning. I thought Sarr was impressive defensively at times in his games, but when I saw Clingan he is on another level as far as anticipating reads and protecting the rim.

Reaction Score
Newton is such a bummer with his horrendous shooting. Hope he can at least bag a 2-way contract.

Not trying to peddle copium (as Tristen shooting 3's at a 35%+ clip would definitely help his cause to stick with at least a 2-way contract), but fwiw there's a TON of horrific shooting going on in the summer league...even by guys that were known as very good 3pt shooters in college.

Perusing the box scores, most teams are shooting 25%ish, most players shooting a decent volume of shots are shooting meh/good at best. For example last night, min 5 shots attempted:

The Bad/Meh-ish:

Furphy: 1-8
Newton: 2-8
T. Alexander 2-7
W. Ellis: 1-6
GG Jackson: 2-7
J. Hawkins: 2-7
K. George: 1-5
P. Baldwin: 1-5
M. Jones: 0-6
C. Brown Jr: 1-5
J. Martin: 1-5
K. Johnson: 1-8
E. Bates: 3-12
P. Nance: 2-8
L. Miller: 1-5
R. Dillingham: 2-7
D. Nix: 2-7
J. Clark: 1-6
R. Sheppard: 0-5

The Meh+/Good/Very Good:

H. Tyson: 3-6
J. Wells: 3-9
A. Reeves: 3-5
J. Ford: 3-5
T. Funk: 3-6
B. Carrington: 2-6
J. Bernard: 3-9
B. Ellis: 3-6
N. Clowney: 5-8
J. Wilson: 6-7
T. Martin: 3-7
D. Knecht: 2-6
B. Hinson: 2-6
T. Hendricks: 2-5
M. Abmas: 2-5
J. Minott: 2-5
A. Griffin: 2-6

Reaction Score
Late here but its not a shock to see DC struggle with his FG %, I just think he still showed some serious flashes as a passer and general offensive IQ. Guards are really looking for their own stuff in SL or making those skip passes for threes off pnr ive noticed, vs trying to get DC the ball on the move when he slips. Not making excuses, he has to develop into a more competent finisher as the year goes on.

Very excited to watch him again if he plays (might get shut down?), his defense is already there. I did get a bit nervous when the other team started bringing up the screen very high and forcing Clingan to step up from drop... but he is learning. I thought Sarr was impressive defensively at times in his games, but when I saw Clingan he is on another level as far as anticipating reads and protecting the rim.
Clingan is a TERRIFIC passer. For a 7’2 that’s spending a lot of time with the ball on the perimeter and high post, he’s hitting guys cutting all the time. Kind of crazy to see and surprised it’s not getting more attention

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom