UConn Moves Up In The AP Poll [merged] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Moves Up In The AP Poll [merged]

Reaction Score
UConn moved up! No complaining for me this time. :p

LSU and Indiana were neck and neck with voters. Some people just realllyyyyy wanted that #1v#2 matchup I guess. But IMO Indiana deserves it more right now.
Agreed about Indiana. Plus, I think they have to toughest remaining regular season schedule of any team in the country (Iowa twice, Ohio State, Michigan, and Purdue). I’m pleasantly surprised at how good Indiana is this year despite who they lost to graduation and missing Berger for (I think) a few games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Every season, we hear some committee mouthpiece explain that a team received a low seeding or missed the tournament because of their weak out of conference schedule. But LSU's 310th non conference SOS is totally ignored as they move up the polls. Even after playing their SEC schedule, their combined SOS is still an anemic #112.
Well to be fair the NCAA Committee and the AP/Coaches pollsters are not the same. We haven't heard yet what the NCAA Committee is thinking.

Reaction Score
Interesting how the votes divvy up. UConn actually has fewer votes than last week (611 this week versus 623 last week) but still moved up. I think they’ll enter as the #2 overall seed

Reaction Score
I am shocked... pleasantly shocked that we moved up and did not stay where we were or go down. I am even more shocked that did not put LSU at 2 to create that 1 vs 2 hype that they want. Just shocked by that.

Reaction Score
Well to be fair the NCAA Committee and the AP/Coaches pollsters are not the same. We haven't heard yet what the NCAA Committee is thinking.
True! But we can guess that they will place LSU as a #1 seed since eveery other polling has them in the top 3.

Reaction Score
I commented after yesterday’s loss to SC and Stanford’s loss to Washington that you could make a strong case for UConn as the 2nd best team in the nation. Massey currently ranks UConn 2nd.

Assuming that LSU loses twice, either to SC both times, or to SC and some other SEC opponent, and IN loses a couple times as it faces a gauntlet of ranked teams (Iowa twice, tOSU & Mich), then UConn just needs to take care of business in the NBE and the Huskies will be the #2 overall seed imo.
Agree

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The problem is that the Duke, Iowa, and Texas wins came with Azzi on the court, and the concern is that the selection committee might take that into account.
Not if Azzi is back for the tournament, then all those concerns are moot.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Our goal should be a 1 seed, which should be doable if we win out. We have the #1 SOS, a NET ranking of #2, are #1 in our conference, have only lost to top 10 AP teams.
My original message said #2 or #3 overall seed. Those are both 1 seeds.

JBK

Reaction Score
UConn is #4 (+1) in the AP Ranking this week.

In other news:
  • We unfortunately won’t be getting our 1 vs. 2 matchup this week, Indiana is #2 and LSU is #3.
  • Stanford drops out of the Top 5 and is replaced by Iowa (as I predicted), who is trending upwards.
  • Duke is now Top 10 after a great week. Congrats, @triaddukefan!

Full AP Poll here.
Agree but it plays out to our advantage if we keep winning
Indiana had Iowa twice, Ohio state and Michigan and will lose to one of those
and SC should beat LSU and if we keep winning that would put us number 2 where we belong

JBK

Reaction Score
Agree but it plays out to our advantage if we keep winning
Indiana had Iowa twice, Ohio state and Michigan and will lose to one of those
and SC should beat LSU and if we keep winning that would put us number 2 where we belong
has Iowa twice

Reaction Score
I have no problem with these rankings. But let's keep in mind that UCONN still has the #1 strength of schedule (combined & non- conference) while Indiana's SOS is #27.
LOL....then again, LSU's SOS is #112. Their non- conferense SOS is actually #310!!
Indiana will not finish the season with less than 3 losses. LSU will find out where they are on Sunday. I might actually go to that game.

Reactions: JBK
Reaction Score
Every season, we hear some committee mouthpiece explain that a team received a low seeding or missed the tournament because of their weak out of conference schedule. But LSU's 310th non conference SOS is totally ignored as they move up the polls. Even after playing their SEC schedule, their combined SOS is still an anemic #112.
The committee that decides tournament seeding does not rely on the AP poll. They use the NET where LSU is currently #3 behind us. The notion that LSU is overrated in the polls has been pretty well digested by every possible member of every possible committee. This means the only possible direction for LSU if the committee decides to look for guidance outside of NET is down. The only question now, assuming SC defeats them decisively (twice) and we win out, as does Stanford and Iowa, is how far down LSU will fall. My guess is to a #3 seed behind ND Iowa Duke Utah and maybe even Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indiana will not finish the season with less than 3 losses. LSU will find out where they are on Sunday. I might actually go to that game.
I'm not sure of that. They (Indiana) are a very good basketball team with no glaring weakness. I'd prefer that UConn is in another bracket.

Reaction Score
The committee that decides tournament seeding does not rely on the AP poll. They use the NET where LSU is currently #3 behind us. The notion that LSU is overrated in the polls has been pretty well digested by every possible member of every possible committee. This means the only possible direction for LSU if the committee decides to look for guidance outside of NET is down. The only question now, assuming SC defeats them decisively (twice) and we win out, as does Stanford and Iowa, is how far down LSU will fall. My guess is to a #3 seed behind ND Iowa Duke Utah and maybe even Texas.
They don’t only use the NET to determine seeding. They do “look” for guidance outside of the NET so LSU could definitely move direction. Criteria considered for seeding includes

• Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Strength of schedule

Reaction Score
My original message said #2 or #3 overall seed. Those are both 1 seeds.
I know, I apologized on the first page when someone pointed out my error. I misread your original post. :oops:

Reaction Score
They don’t only use the NET to determine seeding. They do “look” for guidance outside of the NET so LSU could definitely move direction. Criteria considered for seeding includes

• Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Strength of schedule
Thank you for reprinting this. All of this material has been gone over many times in the BY. Yes, they can use stuff outside the NET, but they are likely to want to stick as close to it as they can. Still, there are reasons they will be forced to modify the NET rankings — geography, conference diversity, etc. The more they depart from the NET, the more criticism and accusations of favoritism they come in for. So, all things being equal, there is lots of motivation for them to push LSU down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom