UConn MHOC 23-24 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 23-24

Reaction Score
I read this board with a combination of feelings. First and foremost, Incredulity.
Attendance, I’ve been to a ton of Wesleyan games. They have never drawn a larger crowd than the crowd at Toscano. Never.

Pep band. Our band plays their hearts out, and from where I sit (drink rail ) they sound great. Being located below the glass has little effect on their noise projection.

Toscano can certainly be improved. Building an arena for 5000 was never a serious option. PC‘s place in Providence is a bit bigger but it’s got problems too. Exit/entrance portals are a nightmare and the queue for food is as bad as at Storrs. You want more seats? Bleacher seats in that student deck is a good idea. Affordable too. The high top tables behind the street side goal can go when demand for seats outstrips availability. For now who does it hurt? It seems as if it pretty well occupied. Better food options and more food stations would be a great way to improve the place.

Looking at XL through rose colored glasses. I like being 25 minutes from the rink vs 1 hour away too. But let’s face it, that place is far from perfect. The entryway and atrium alike a morgue. It needs a facelift for starters. I guess the new gambling wing goes down as an improvement for some. I’d rather have better food. Guess I’ll have to wait until Yard Goat season for that.

Players. Grown men should not be telling 21 year old amateurs that they should just go away. Even if they take too many stupid penalties. They are D1 athletes but they are students and they are just kids. How perfect were we at that age? Show some class.
Can’t wait to see you all in Hartford on Saturday. Beat Dartmouth.
1. Are you arguing that people should be satisfied with UConn’s attendance because they outdraw D3 Wesleyan?

2. Who does the capacity of Toscano hurt? I would say it hurts the program. There are many unoccupied seats because season ticket holders do not show up. Yet, UConn cannot sell individual game tickets to people who would actually attend. If UConn could sell individual game tickets it would allow them to grow the popularity of the program by giving non season ticket holders access to games.

3. Capone’s actions have been occurring multiple times a season for the last four seasons. Some of these “amateurs” are NHL draft picks who are earning more than professionals and will be playing pro in a few months.

Reaction Score
1. Are you arguing that people should be satisfied with UConn’s attendance because they outdraw D3 Wesleyan?

2. Who does the capacity of Toscano hurt? I would say it hurts the program. There are many unoccupied seats because season ticket holders do not show up. Yet, UConn cannot sell individual game tickets to people who would actually attend. If UConn could sell individual game tickets it would allow them to grow the popularity of the program by giving non season ticket holders access to games.

3. Capone’s actions have been occurring multiple times a season for the last four seasons. Some of these “amateurs” are NHL draft picks who are earning more than professionals and will be playing pro in a few months.

1. If someone on this forum claims that Wesleyan outdraws UConn (as they did) then that nonsense deserves to be called out. I did not and do not compare D1 to D3.

2. Season ticket holders should show up. There should be a mechanism for them to turn back tickets if they can’t use them. Give them to students on game day. Perhaps it’s already possible to do this . I don’t know. I just show up.

3. If you are an unsigned NHL draft pick you aren’t making more than a professional. Capone will be out of your hair in March. For now he’s ours, warts and all.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you turkeys out there. UConn isn’t winning as many games as we’d but there must be something to smile about today.

Reaction Score
3. If you are an unsigned NHL draft pick you aren’t making more than a professional. Capone will be out of your hair in March. For now he’s ours, warts and all.

Through collectives many of these guys are earning more than the average ECHL contract and just as much if not more than some AHL guys.

During one of his podcasts, Mike McMahon was saying how non NHL caliber players might stay in college longer because the players can earn more in college than in the ECHL.

Reaction Score
1. If someone on this forum claims that Wesleyan outdraws UConn (as they did) then that nonsense deserves to be called out. I did not and do not compare D1 to D3.

2. Season ticket holders should show up. There should be a mechanism for them to turn back tickets if they can’t use them. Give them to students on game day. Perhaps it’s already possible to do this . I don’t know. I just show up.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you turkeys out there. UConn isn’t winning as many games as we’d but there must be something to smile about today.
I wasn’t saying that Wesleyan outdraws UConn, but that I’ve been at games where the Wesleyan students were louder and more into the games. And Colby, Bowdoin, Or Middlebury are too. Harass the opposing goalie, get on the refs, cheer loudly for their side and toss obscenities, in a humorous manner at the opposition. Heck I was at a game last year where the students switched ends so the could harass the opposing net minder for all 3.

As for the band, they are good, just not a hockey pep band. To “professional.” Need to be a little more raggedy…and ply the darned fight song on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Pep band. Our band plays their hearts out, and from where I sit (drink rail ) they sound great. Being located below the glass has little effect on their noise projection.
This is untrue. I can only hear the horns atop the glass. The saxophones and drum kit have no purpose being there when theybate not mic’d. It is a huge problem having them positioned right behind the goal. Student fans should be there to cheer the team and help rile up other fans. While the band is spirited they don’t contribute to the atmosphere in a way that juices up the game. Seriously they are too cute for that.

Reaction Score
The high top tables behind the street side goal can go when demand for seats outstrips availability. For now who does it hurt? It seems as if it pretty well occupied.

Demand for seats already outstrips availability. That happened the day Tuscano was opened. Despite there being empty seats during games - this still baffles me - there is no box office or option to purchase single game tickets other than with the
secondary market. Ok sometimes 50 or so tickets might be available to purchase at the last minute due to returns, but they can’t be planned for in advance.

Those table top seats are hurting two entities. Fans who don’t have access to Tuscano tickets (it’s not a coincidence that Wolfpack attendance kicked up right when Tuscano was opened in Jan 2023) - and fans who are at the game and don’t have a full corner of fans adjacent to them who bring a stronger presence to the game. My tix are right near there and the tables and setup at ice level have about as much charm and fan energy as a dentist’s waiting room. Ice level tables work at XL and Mullens due to sheer size and capacity as arenas and they don’t break up fans in sections in awkward disjointed ways.

Reaction Score
Heading into December:

1701091497782.png

Reaction Score
— I’m just throwing this out there for all the folks who keep believing that NIL money isn't in college hockey yet.
I heard another story over the weekend of a recruit being offered a six-figure NIL deal. In this case, it was $100,000 over four years ($25,000 per year) on top of a scholarship. A source with the program that offered the deal confirmed it.
Don't believe NIL money isn't in college hockey. It's here, and it's already playing a role.

— Arizona State head coach Greg Powers had an interesting response on Twitter/X to reporter Chris Karpman from Sun Devil Source, who asserted that the demise of ASU's football program was due to the university putting money into other sports, like hockey.
Powers pointed out the financial benefit of hockey at ASU.
According to Powers, ASU did $3.5 million in ticket sales last season, and it's projected to be higher this season. They do $3 million in sponsorships and have a seven-figure deal for a 10-year naming rights agreement on the IcePlex.
What I found most interesting was that the Coyotes playing at Mullet Arena results in seven-figure annual revenue for ASU, according to Powers.
Most people only believe basketball and football can be "revenue sports," and that might be true if we're only talking hundreds of millions. But plenty of college hockey programs can be (and are) profitable.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
According to their schedule, this is the game UConn is trying to get 9000 people to attend. Calling it Mission 9k
Shouldn’t that be the mission for every game?

Reaction Score
If non-season ticketholders are being offered one-free-with-one, season ticketholders who have ALREADY paid for tickets (in May, six months ago), should get one free per paid ticket as well. I'm all in favor of the promotion to boost attendance, but not without corresponding treatment to those who support the program year in, and year out.

Reaction Score
I’m interested in seeing what the attendance will be for CT Ice, especially if UConn can beat Sacred Heart and set up a UConn-Quinnipiac final on Saturday night.

Reaction Score
If non-season ticketholders are being offered one-free-with-one, season ticketholders who have ALREADY paid for tickets (in May, six months ago), should get one free per paid ticket as well. I'm all in favor of the promotion to boost attendance, but not without corresponding treatment to those who support the program year in, and year out.
In years past when they did the Mission 9k games, I believe season ticket holders got free tix at some point so I wouldn't be surprised if those are coming.

Reaction Score
And it’s Whalers night vs Maine on the Friday eve before. So we’ll see what that brings. I agree with the B1G1 so long as season ticket holder also benefit as was stated earlier…

Reaction Score
Wish the team could wear the classic green whalers jerseys for that night. Would be incredible. You’d probably have to kiss the ring of bettman though. Probably never happen.

Reaction Score
Wish the team could wear the classic green whalers jerseys for that night. Would be incredible. You’d probably have to kiss the ring of bettman though. Probably never happen.
Or Tom Dundon ... Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom