UConn MHOC 23-24 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 23-24

Reaction Score
I think these mathematical models are fine as ranking aids. I get lots of pushback on this but I hate that they are used as the sole method for selecting at-large teams. If they are that accurate, skip the tournament and award the title based on PWR. This system always felt to me much more like cya for the “selection committee” than anything else. They don’t have to make a decision so nobody can complain.

Reaction Score
I think these mathematical models are fine as ranking aids. I get lots of pushback on this but I hate that they are used as the sole method for selecting at-large teams. If they are that accurate, skip the tournament and award the title based on PWR. This system always felt to me much more like cya for the “selection committee” than anything else. They don’t have to make a decision so nobody can complain.
The flip side to this is, would you rather the "smoke-filled room" setup?

The advantage of the PWR is you can always know where you are and where you will be. There's multiple websites where you can input future game results and it'll give you an accurate PWR field. There's also no opportunity for big conference bias, etc.

I don't know which is better, but PWR does check boxes that the selection committee concept does not.

Reaction Score
I totally hate the pairwise. But then again, to me the Hockey East Tournament is way more important than the post season national tournament. The one thing I like about the NCAA national tournament is that they only allow 16 teams in the tournament. The basketball national tournament allows to many teams in.

Reaction Score
UNH entered last weekend 16th in the Pairwise

Swept 6th ranked Maine 6-2 and 5-2 but fell to 17th in the Pairwise
Pairwise becomes even more inscrutable late in the season.

Reaction Score
I totally hate the pairwise. But then again, to me the Hockey East Tournament is way more important than the post season national tournament. The one thing I like about the NCAA national tournament is that they only allow 16 teams in the tournament. The basketball national tournament allows to many teams in.
More hockey teams make it than basketball teams on a percentage basis, 25% of the D1 hockey teams make the NCAA tournament whereas basketball 18.7% make it.

Reaction Score

More hockey teams make it than basketball teams on a percentage basis, 25% of the D1 hockey teams make the NCAA tournament whereas basketball 18.7% make it.

There are 64 schools that play in NCAA Division 1 men's hockey.

Reaction Score
There are 64 schools that play in NCAA Division 1 men's hockey.
16 / 64 = 25% 68/ 362 = 18.7%

Again 25% of D1 hockey teams make the NCAA tournament vs 18.7% D1 basketball schools. Therefore on a percentage basis, more hockey teams make it than basketball. Numbers need context.

Reaction Score
I 'd be all for cutting the hockey tournament to the top 8 teams. Probably don't need more than that to determine the national championship.

Reaction Score
I 'd be all for cutting the hockey tournament to the top 8 teams. Probably don't need more than that to determine the national championship.
Lol UConn never making it then

Reaction Score
The flip side to this is, would you rather the "smoke-filled room" setup?

The advantage of the PWR is you can always know where you are and where you will be. There's multiple websites where you can input future game results and it'll give you an accurate PWR field. There's also no opportunity for big conference bias, etc.

I don't know which is better, but PWR does check boxes that the selection committee concept does not.
I’m not sure how much the smoke filled room is a fact vs a myth. Is the first team out goingingbto complain? Sure. But then again when a team wins 2 against a team rated higher and loses ground you might want to look at the system. They keep winning and maybe we’ll finish ahead of them!

I also kind of disagree on the big conference bias. By design it favors them because it is biased toward Strength of Schedule and HEA is always going to have a stronger one than AHA and mostly better than the ECAC. A good AHA team almost needs to be lucky in its non-conference scheduling to get a sniff of an at-large. If Holy Cross was really good this year, they’d be penalized because they scheduled us instead of Maine, even though we were supposed to be a top 20 team. If they played us and Harvard, 2 teams projected to contend for a bid but who had awful years, they are penalized. On paper their non-conference schedule looks formidable. UConn, UML, Merrimack who went to the tourney last year. Turned out all 3 stink this year. And they aren’t getting more than an occasional game with BC or BU. Those guys play maybe one or 2 AHA games/season. I’m not advocating for Holy Cross. I’m just picking them as an example of how smaller programs can get hurt even if they try to “do the right thing.” Then last year there was the Stonehill issue. Another case of cooking the books. I actually agreed that Stonehill should not have counted. But that decision should have been made in October not March. That’s like saying we are counting games against Canadian teams then changing your mind after the games are played. It wasn’t that hard to see who they were playing in October!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
UConn needs to strive for greatness, not have the bar lowered to get into a tournament. #Everyone gets a trophy
No one wants to see fewer teams make the tournament. It’s never happening. It’s pointless prattle. How is 16 of 64 teams even close to everyone gets a trophy?.
Good thing no one is asking you then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol UConn never making it then
You could probably do that with all the NCAA tournaments really. One 8 and 1 seven seed have won the basketball tournament. 26 1 seeds have. Over 80% of Final Four teams have been seeded 4 or better. So you could basically go with a 16 team tournament. The others are just filler for tv.

Reaction Score
You could probably do that with all the NCAA tournaments really. One 8 and 1 seven seed have won the basketball tournament. 26 1 seeds have. Over 80% of Final Four teams have been seeded 4 or better. So you could basically go with a 16 team tournament. The others are just filler for tv.
100% Agree.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I’m not sure how much the smoke filled room is a fact vs a myth.

It’s a fact. We know it’s a fact because we had 50 years of how they used to do it before Pairwise as proof.

It was cutthroat and parochial as hell. Made the MBB selection committee look like a pizza party.

Reaction Score
Can't believe that was 2 years ago now, what a great game absolutely brought it to Levi that game

It was a fun time at TD Garden. That may have been the best game we’ve seen UConn play. Heartbreak a day later but the juice was good and real.

That tournament was the only time I’ve been to TD and it was a pretty marvelous arena in my book. The super 16K video board proved it’s worth by constantly showing people eating in HD lol…

Reaction Score
Connelly’s piece is a bit easier on the Huskies than I would be. Yes, teams sometimes disappoint. But I thought this team was also very undisciplined and at times bordering on dirty. I can’t remember a team getting as many majors as they did. They had a string of 3-4 games in a row where somebody sat for 5 minutes. The BC games was the exception but they seemed to give up many times after falling behind. They are desperate for a scorer or two as well as a defensive defenseman. I like Sergeev, but he needs to be more consistent. Or we need to bring in someone who can be. Finally it seemed at times like Cav lost the team for a while. I also thought his use of guys was suspect. I thought Wood really started playing better when the changed up his line mates. Finally you need to win at home. Their inability to win at Toscano is completely inexplicable to me. And it wasn’t just losing. They regularly got blown out. Go .500 at home and this was a borderline tournament team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom