UConn @ MD Trip (Ryan Phalen, Baseball Bus, Travel, Hotels, Tailgate etc...) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ MD Trip (Ryan Phalen, Baseball Bus, Travel, Hotels, Tailgate etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone, I have combined the couple travel threads we had going now that the pads are on and the board is going to get busy soon. By now most I assume have already made some type of plans towards the MD trip. When you guys come up with the tailgate info just keep this thread going...let me know what I can help with if its messy at all. I can move posts and quote things to help keep it clean as needed. Thanks to both ryan and the baseball bus for doing these trips. This fan base is on the rise

As for everyone else, any little thing you can add info wise on the trip would be great to post here. Whether its a Friday night flight deal or a must stop rest stop(lol)...So basically lets put all info in this thread and pack that stadium!!!

====================================
Guys, I booked my flight last night on Southwest out of Hartford. Friday night at 7pm and returning on Sunday @ 10am, in Hartford a little after 11am. The flight was only $ 195 round trip! Southwest doesnt charge for bags either. I thought I would go this route after I was caught in DC/Redskins traffic then Baltimore/Ravens traffic coming home from the Meineke Care Care Bowl. I wanted to kill myself in that traffic on the way home, it was brutal. Vowed never to do that again. Anyone else flying down?

Reaction Score
Guys, last post for the day on Maryland traveling. If you havent booked your hotel room for the game, DO IT NOW. There are 2 rooms left in the block for the UMUC Marriott that Ryan Phalen booked. A few buddies tried and they are sold out to the general public. I called Marriott for them using Ryans code he posted and was able to get them a room. Also, my buddy is a Maryland guy, and he says this hotel is the best option period! I guess you just walk out the front door, cross the street and you tailgating. Cant beat that!! Hurry though... Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Guys, last post for the day on Maryland traveling. If you havent booked your hotel room for the game, DO IT NOW. There are 2 rooms left in the block for the UMUC Marriott that Ryan Phalen booked. A few buddies tried and they are sold out to the general public. I called Marriott for them using Ryans code he posted and was able to get them a room. Also, my buddy is a Maryland guy, and he says this hotel is the best option period! I guess you just walk out the front door, cross the street and you tailgating. Cant beat that!! Hurry though... Go Huskies!!!

If people are having issues with hotels let theBaseballBus.com know. We'd be able to help out anyone wishing to stay in Baltimore on Friday. Could even provide round trip transportation from Baltimore to College Park and back the day of the game.

Reaction Score
My 3 friends and I are driving down and staying at the Quality Inn College Park. $110 a night and 10 min walk to the stadium. My friend who worked for UCTV stayed there in the past as says its a great cheaper option.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lets pack this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My buddy just ordered up 17 tix. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
You've probaby already seen this because DC is quick on the draw and you guys are quick to scope out DC's posts, but here is the latest: We still have a few seats on the bus if anyone is looking to join us...the $10 for the tailgate party is included in the pricing. UConn @ Maryland

Drew at theBaseballbus.com and I have coordinated on a tailgate for the Maryland game- we’ll be doing both breakfast and lunch for $10/person. The tailgate will be fairly basic- bagels, muffins, donuts, fruit, and juices for early pre-game (6:30am til 11 or so); and burgers/dogs with chips soda and probably salad from 11 til noon then after the game. BYOB, of course. We’re planning on a 200+ person tailgate, similar to the one we had at Michigan, and want to avoid the lines we had there so we’re keeping the grilling requirement to a minimum- keep in mind that just our two buses are over 90 people.

For those not on either of our buses, Drew spoke with the top parking guy for football at MD- UConn fans should be able to park very close to Drew’s bus (which will be in lot C1) for free the day of the game. His suggestion is for fans to get there early and target lots C2, L, K2, K1, K5 (found on this parking map- http://www.transportation.umd.edu/parking/maps/map_color.pdf). These are metered parking lots, but metered parking is free on Saturdays and will be close to completely empty at the time gates open at 6:30am. The lots listed hold between 300 and 400 cars, but I don’t know how quickly they will fill up so the sooner you get there the better.

If you’re not on the buses and will be joining us for the tailgate, please send Drew an email (info@thebaseballbus.com) and cc: me (phalen@ironwoodcap.com). If you’re on the bus, you don’t need to email us- we don’t want to double-count anyone.

Money for the tailgate will be due September 5th so we can get a good headcount. Payment info will be sent when you email us your RSVP.

Reaction Score
Booked flight to MD. Saturday morning (I have a wedding to go to on Friday night). Come home Sunday night. 160 bucks RT on southwest.

Reaction Score
Southwest is having a sale that started today. Best round trip price I could find was $117.60

Hartford, CT to Baltimore/Washington, MD
Air
Total Price: $117.60
Itinerary
Air Itinerary

Depart
Sep 14
Fri
08:35
AM
Hartford, CT (BDL) to

09:50
AM
Baltimore/Washington, MD (BWI)

Flight
Friday, September 14, 2012
Travel Time 1 h 15 m
(Nonstop)
Wanna Get Away
Return
Sep 15
Sat
08:40
PM
Baltimore/Washington, MD (BWI) to

09:45
PM
Hartford, CT (BDL)

Flight
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Travel Time 1 h 05 m
(Nonstop)
Wanna Get Away
Price: Adult
TripRouting Fare DetailsQuantityTotal
Depart BDL-BWI Excellent Value
  • No Change Fees
    (applicable fare difference applies)
  • Reusable Funds
    (nontransferable - no name changes allowed)
  • Nonrefundable
$58.80
Return BWI-BDL Excellent Value
  • No Change Fees
    (applicable fare difference applies)
  • Reusable Funds
    (nontransferable - no name changes allowed)
  • Nonrefundable
$58.80

Reaction Score
I booked Southwest from Boston round trip for about 160. Home in time to watch the Pats game on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Sounds like good deals. I wouldn't be caught dead on Southwest but I'm sure it's fine if you're under 50 and don't care about the cattle car feeling. If any of you have ever been to SE Asia and flown Air Asia you'll know that airline is an example of a no frills carrier with real bargains that treats you with some dignity. It's sad when airlines like Air Asia and Bangkok Air are far superior to US carriers. Even Lao Air is better with damn good pilots in their mostly ATR 72's. Anyway, just venting a pet peeve because I travel to Asia regularly and never fly any US carrier, here or there, if I can help it. Have great trips and a big win.

Reaction Score
Sounds like good deals. I wouldn't be caught dead on Southwest but I'm sure it's fine if you're under 50 and don't care about the cattle car feeling. If any of you have ever been to SE Asia and flown Air Asia you'll know that airline is an example of a no frills carrier with real bargains that treats you with some dignity. It's sad when airlines like Air Asia and Bangkok Air are far superior to US carriers. Even Lao Air is better with damn good pilots in their mostly ATR 72's. Anyway, just venting a pet peeve because I travel to Asia regularly and never fly any US carrier, here or there, if I can help it. Have great trips and a big win.

I'm 52 and fly Southwest regularily... need to know the tricks of early boarding. Unless you have super elite status on another carrier and upgrades come frequently - all air travel is crap these days.

Reaction Score
Has anyone got tickets through uconn for the game yet? It looks like they have section 2 and them some upper deck ones. There is currently a deal on living social for upper deck seats for 15 bucks. My question is-- if i get them through uconn, is there anyway to assure that i'd be in Section 2? If not i mine as well get the 15 dollar tickets and just walk over to the uconn section in the upper deck. My buddy says its pretty much a free for all in the upper deck because it doesnt' get real crowded... Any thoughts?

Also i'll be driving my RV down to the game and parking in the RV lot with the buses much like michigan-- can't wait!

Reaction Score
I dunno guys...$160 for a plane?

$159 for a bus ride, game ticket, hotel stay and tailgate party sounds pretty tempting. But see you guys in College Park...the more the merrier!

Reaction Score
Southwest improved dramatically when they went to a numbered boarding system. The old cattle-call system where whoever was at the gate first got the best seats was a joke, and I would never fly them.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
might as well start making some noise. twitter people and everyone in general should end anything md talk/chat wise with #OccupyByrd. juices flowing...

Reaction Score
Can't wait! The Michigan tailgate was a blast. Gotta show these Maryland kids how UConn does things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm 52 and fly Southwest regularily... need to know the tricks of early boarding. Unless you have super elite status on another carrier and upgrades come frequently - all air travel is crap these days.

Southwest is the best. I have trouble going back to the old way. It takes forever to board. Also, less funny business than the others in my experience. Things like cancellations for no apparent reason.

Reaction Score
I call Southwest "School Bus of the skies"! My last choice in air carriers! But sometimes you don't have a choice...as far as I know they're the only airline you can fly BDL to BWI...and it's such a short flight. I was thinking about canceling my hotel and flying down that morning and flying home that night. Not quite sure if I want rush around all day tho?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I call Southwest "School Bus of the skies"! My last choice in air carriers! But sometimes you don't have a choice...as far as I know they're the only airline you can fly BDL to BWI...and it's such a short flight. I was thinking about canceling my hotel and flying down that morning and flying home that night. Not quite sure if I want rush around all day tho?
Try RyanAir from Europe... Southwest is high comfort...

Ryan is/was researching standing seats...

Reaction Score
Booked flight to MD. Saturday morning (I have a wedding to go to on Friday night). Come home Sunday night. 160 bucks RT on southwest.

I think u should upstage the bride and wear ur Dress Blues to the wedding!

Reaction Score
https://www.livingsocial.com/events/423312-umd-vs-uconn-football-game-ticket-package

"The season may not be decided after this game, but it may just keep the conference argument at bay... for now."
Live Events

_q60_.jpg

UMD vs UConn Football Game: Ticket Package

CapitalOne Field at Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD

• Saturday, September 15 – 12:30PM
Want it for free?

Buy first, then share a special link. If three friends buy, yours is free!
Share:
$30
$15
Includes taxes and fees
book now
  • 50% savings
  • 322 Purchased
  • 4 days Remaining

What you get

• Choice of Two Game Packages with Tickets in Sections 310 to 312
    • $15 for One Ticket
    • $32 for One Ticket, Two Car Flags, and $10 to Spend on Concessions
Bicker as you might about whether the Big East or ACC is the better football conference, when it comes time for kick-off there's only one thing that matters: today's deal. Catch the Maryland Terrapins as they take on the University of Connecticut Huskies in College Park on September 15 when you pay $15 (regularly $30) for a ticket in sections 310, 311, or 312. Or, up your fanship and pay $32 (regularly $65) for a ticket in the same sections and enjoy two car flags and $10 to spend on concessions. The season may not be decided after this game, but it may just keep the conference argument at bay... for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom