UConn may play NC State on Dec. 5th at Mohegan; Florida game in doubt | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn may play NC State on Dec. 5th at Mohegan; Florida game in doubt

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I said it in March and I'll say it again now, especially with how hospitalizations and deaths are trending both in CT and everywhere else: There is no way we play anything out of conference, and an incredibly slim chance we see any basketball at all this year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I said it in March and I'll say it again now, especially with how hospitalizations and deaths are trending both in CT and everywhere else: There is no way we play anything out of conference, and an incredibly slim chance we see any basketball at all this year.
You do realize college football is being played right now right?

Reaction Score

College football is being played in Connecticut? Damn, I need to see a game.

You don't realize that our state government is never going to look at what is being done in Alabama or Indiana as a model for what it should be doing? I hope we have a season, and I haven't given up on it, but to think what is being done elsewhere WHILE THE PANDEMIC IS PICKING UP AGAIN makes little sense. The conference playing football would have played football 100 out of 100 times even knowing that it would end up cancelling every winter and spring sport if they did so.

Reaction Score

Football is played and practiced outside (generally). Not in an indoor, small, often poorly ventilated gym. Teams with larger basketball arenas are at a nice advantage here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is league only on the table?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Logistically it has to be a lot easier playing a basketball season than a football season.

That was my thinking. Without a bubble, you've got 60-80 players who are engaging with people across campus, potentially resulting in a positive test. With basketball you've only got a dozen or so. The problem for basketball is the current 14 day quarantine rule means that the whole team would likely be quarantined unless they can quickly get negative tests.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying we won't have a season, but things are getting worse not better right now
For us? We have our MTE with the small CT schools set up, legends classic and NCST at Mohegan, and the Big east. All that's left is staying Covid negative.

Reaction Score
College football is being played in Connecticut? Damn, I need to see a game.

You don't realize that our state government is never going to look at what is being done in Alabama or Indiana as a model for what it should be doing? I hope we have a season, and I haven't given up on it, but to think what is being done elsewhere WHILE THE PANDEMIC IS PICKING UP AGAIN makes little sense. The conference playing football would have played football 100 out of 100 times even knowing that it would end up cancelling every winter and spring sport if they did so.
Wow they are only playing football in Alabama and Indiana? Didn't know they moved Syracuse and the Carrier Dome out of NY. Must of missed it.

Reaction Score
Logistically it has to be a lot easier playing a basketball season than a football season.

D1 College basketball in general plays 3-5x the number of games, though (more teams playing more games each). So there is more frequent travel and more likely for games to be missed because there is less downtime between games in order to test and isolate players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Football is played and practiced outside (generally). Not in an indoor, small, often poorly ventilated gym. Teams with larger basketball arenas are at a nice advantage here.
Playing outside does not make up for the sheer difference in numbers compared to basketball. It's the difference of probably 150ish different people who could catch it in football, and probably around 25 for basketball. If one person catches it, the entire team goes down. Not to mention how much easier it is to create bubbles for basketball. Yet football is going reasonably well, which should be encouraging for a much more manageable sport.

Reaction Score
D1 College basketball in general plays 3-5x the number of games, though (more teams playing more games each). So there is more frequent travel and more likely for games to be missed because there is less downtime between games in order to test and isolate players.
I'm aware and there's 1/6 the players and coaches for basketball. If they don't want to play games on campus and want to eliminate any positive tests do it in bubbles. Places like Mohegan and McCormick Place have empty hotels, arenas, and practice courts waiting to be used.

Reaction Score
Remember that the ncaa is fully committed to having an ncaa tournament this year. The mindset has changed since last year. They will find a way to have a season in the safest way possible. Also keep in mind that Lamont volunteered the yard goats stadium to the blue jays. He isnt totally against the idea of sports.

Reaction Score
For us? We have our MTE with the small CT schools set up, legends classic and NCST at Mohegan, and the Big east. All that's left is staying Covid negative.
Yes this part in bold is what I'm talking about. The staying Covid negative is the hard part, and is the part I'm talking about getting worse. Cases are going up in CT, not down

Reaction Score
I'm curious why the women's team has scheduled games at Baylor and Tennessee but the men can't play at Florida. Anyone know the logic in this?

Reaction Score
I'm curious why the women's team has scheduled games at Baylor and Tennessee but the men can't play at Florida. Anyone know the logic in this?

I could be wrong but I don't think it's that we couldn't play at Florida, but that they chose to be safe and stay in the bubble to play an extra game instead

Reaction Score

Before this turns into a political argument, I think the quoted text above along with the point that indoor sports are very much at risk that just makes me feel more and more that we may not see MUCH basketball this year. I'd obviously settle for conference only, hell I'll settle for anything..

I've all but assumed the ship is sailing on my high school basketball season - if the girls are playing volleyball in masks, and many soccer teams are wearing masks to play - indoor basketball seems very risky.

My school is back to in-person hybrid learning but I wager it lasts a week or two and then we are back out. Half of the other schools around us are currently out or just were out and are now returning. We just had an additional half dozen students test positive - but we were on remote learning at the time so it doesn't matter. The one thing we have going for us is that all positive students have been due to community spread not the school itself.

The fact we just blindly think we're getting college basketball is very bold. I am personally shocked that football has done as well as it has, truly am. Outdoor sports vs. indoor sports are two completely different ballgames.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yes this part in bold is what I'm talking about. The staying Covid negative is the hard part, and is the part I'm talking about getting worse. Cases are going up in CT, not down
Definitely not promising, hopefully the team isolates as much as possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom