UConn may play NC State on Dec. 5th at Mohegan; Florida game in doubt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn may play NC State on Dec. 5th at Mohegan; Florida game in doubt

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
In future years I would like us to try to schedule brutal out of conference so that as long as we win 18 games total we're in. A typical year should look something like this.

3-game MTE
Florida (H)
Ohio State (A)
Arizona (H)
Tennessee (A)
Yale (H)
Harvard (H)
Quinnipiac (H)
Iona (H)

Reaction Score
aren't we playing florida in florida?
the title of this thread is "florida game in doubt." if not this year then it will be next year but we talking about future games we could play in FL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just random but would anyone have interest in retaining an ongoing AAC "rivalry"? Maybe Memphis or Cincy?

I always enjoyed keeping old BE foes as part of the OOC schedule.
Cincy - absolutely, home and/or away or neutral. The one team I will miss a little from the AAC.
Temple - I would not mind seeing, just because most years it is a solid Northeast team and Philly is a great city to travel to. Even more than Cincy, I would like to keep the regional rivals, like Temple and Cuse alive.
Memphis - sure, every once in awhile, but I don't miss them.
Houston - maybe, if they are good/will be good AND come to Connecticut. If they are not good, stay far away and put them on the list at the bottom.
UCF - If only they still had Tacko, ha. Otherwise, NO! Add them to the list below....
SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU, USF - GOOD RIDDANCE!

I still have to check the standings to make sure I get every AAC team because it is easy to forget. You don't have to do that with the BIG east.

Reaction Score
Just random but would anyone have interest in retaining an ongoing AAC "rivalry"? Maybe Memphis or Cincy?

I always enjoyed keeping old BE foes as part of the OOC schedule.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Cinci definitely. I wouldn't mind Memphis occasionally.

Now that we're playing at Villanova every year, Temple doesn't bring much to the table.

Reaction Score
In future years I would like us to try to schedule brutal out of conference so that as long as we win 18 games total we're in. A typical year should look something like this.

3-game MTE
Florida (H)
Ohio State (A)
Arizona (H)
Tennessee (A)
Yale (H)
Harvard (H)
Quinnipiac (H)
Iona (H)
Looks great on paper but we are now in a conference that will boost our strength of schedule so we don't need or want a loaded non conference schedule.

Reaction Score
Why do any of you want anything to do with that conference, we spent years begging to get out of it and you guys want home and homes with AAC schools? There are a whole bunch of good basketball schools we can play that will bring eyeballs. None of those schools are in our recruiting footprint, none are natural rivals, and none really move the needle and bring a lot of eyeballs.

Reaction Score
Why do any of you want anything to do with that conference, we spent years begging to get out of it and you guys want home and homes with AAC schools? There are a whole bunch of good basketball schools we can play that will bring eyeballs. None of those schools are in our recruiting footprint, none are natural rivals, and none really move the needle and bring a lot of eyeballs.
To add to what you said, we can be more selective as to the H/H series that we play because of the trajectory that we are on. We will be the team that benefits their OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
We had very memorable games with Cinci over the years. They provide a tough out of conference challenge. They were also in the Big East with us at one point. It's irrational to treat Cinci as if they are ECU or Tulane. I love being back in the Big East, but I'd be more excited to watch a home and home series with Cinci, than I am to watch us play Depaul.

Edit:

We've played Cinci 30 times. We're 14-16, (average score of 67-66). I'd love the opportunity for UConn to get that up over .500.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Worrying about the schedule this year is pointless.

There are games scheduled that will never be played and there are games that will be played that are not scheduled.

If someone told me that we will end up playing Sacred Heart five times, I would not dismiss the possibility.

Reaction Score
We had very memorable games with Cinci over the years. They provide a tough out of conference challenge. They were also in the Big East with us at one point. It's irrational to treat Cinci as if they are ECU or Tulane. I love being back in the Big East, but I'd be more excited to watch a home and home series with Cinci, than I am to watch us play Depaul.

Edit:

We've played Cinci 30 times. We're 14-16, (average score of 67-66). I'd love the opportunity for UConn to get that up over .500.
DePaul is on our conference slate so that's irrelevant. We already will play DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, and Xavier for home and homes...we have our fill of Midwest teams.

Cinci only was considered a rival because we both got sent to purgatory. We had some close rockfights but that isn't a rivalry, it's more evidence of how how bad things got for UConn basketball. I want nothing to do with the AAC going forward, would rather pretend none of it ever happened.

Reaction Score
I lump the former BE and AAC teams that could appear on the OOC schedule into 3 categories:

Regular:
Syracuse, BC, Pitt

Occasionally:
Rutgers, Notre Dame, Louisville, UCF, Miami

One off:
Cincinnati, Memphis, USF

Reaction Score
DePaul is on our conference slate so that's irrelevant. We already will play DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, and Xavier for home and homes...we have our fill of Midwest teams.

Cinci only was considered a rival because we both got sent to purgatory. We had some close rockfights but that isn't a rivalry, it's more evidence of how how bad things got for UConn basketball. I want nothing to do with the AAC going forward, would rather pretend none of it ever happened.
I didn't say I wanted to play them for their location. Unless you're talking about recruits within a reasonable driving distance (6-8 hours I suppose), I don't think the location of games is really meaningful. If location is important, it's going to be the location of your school, and your conference opponents, not the schools you play OOC that matters.

It's not irrelevant for me to point out that I'm more interested in watching us play Cinci (who isn't on the schedule) than I am Depaul (who is). We're talking about who we'd like to see us play. I'm pointing out that not every Big East opponent is exciting.

I didn't say they were a rival.

I said we had lots of close games, we did. And that they were fun to watch, for me, they were.

I don't care if you disagree, but you asked why, and there's your answer. You're not changing my mind. You can pretend whatever you want to pretend. I'm basing my opinion on reality.

Reaction Score
It's not irrelevant for me to point out that I'm more interested in watching us play Cinci (who isn't on the schedule) than I am Depaul (who is). We're talking about who we'd like to see us play. I'm pointing out that not every Big East opponent is exciting.
depaul is going to be much better than cincy going forward. they have the #5 recruiting class for 2021 which is even higher than ours. you should be excited to see us play them, whether it's in CT or Chicago

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't say I wanted to play them for their location. Unless you're talking about recruits within a reasonable driving distance (6-8 hours I suppose), I don't think the location of games is really meaningful. If location is important, it's going to be the location of your school, and your conference opponents, not the schools you play OOC that matters.

I didn't say they were a rival.

I said we had lots of close games, we did. And that they were fun to watch, for me, they were.

I don't care if you disagree, but you asked why, and there's your answer. You're not changing my mind. You can pretend whatever you want to pretend. I'm basing my opinion on reality.
It's irrelevant because we are playing DePaul because they are in our conference, we don't have a choice in that just like we had no choice in playing Cinci when we were both in the AAC. I don't think you want to go back to the AAC.

Reaction Score
It's irrelevant because we are playing DePaul because they are in our conference, we don't have a choice in that just like we had no choice in playing Cinci when we were both in the AAC. I don't think you want to go back to the AAC.
It's only irrelevant to you because you choose not to accept someone saying they're not excited to watch us play them. I've never said we had a choice in the matter. Simply saying I'd rather see us play a team not scheduled, than see us play a team we have to play. I never said we had to pick between the two. I'm just comparing the level of excitement. I think you're choosing to be obtuse here.

I never said I wanted to go back to the AAC, but your responses seem to indicate you're equating someone being agreeable to playing 1 or 2 AAC teams every few years as wanting to be affiliated with the AAC.

Which is strange.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
depaul is going to be much better than cincy going forward. they have the #5 recruiting class for 2021 which is even higher than ours. you should be excited to see us play them, whether it's in CT or Chicago
They're picked at the bottom of the Big East, and Leitao hasn't exactly lit it up anywhere he's been.

But fine, substitute St. John's for Depaul if you want. Same thing.

Reaction Score
It's only irrelevant to you because you choose not to accept someone saying they're not excited to watch us play them. I've never said we had a choice in the matter. Simply saying I'd rather see us play a team not scheduled, than see us play a team we have to play. I never said we had to pick between the two. I'm just comparing the level of excitement. I think you're choosing to be obtuse here.

I never said I wanted to go back to the AAC, but your responses seem to indicate you're equating someone being agreeable to playing 1 or 2 AAC teams every few years as wanting to be affiliated with the AAC.

Which is strange.
Wow, you're still not getting it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Playing Cincinnati would be fun. They're always a good team, and we developed a providence level rivalry with them. They're the only school I'd do a home and home with.

Reaction Score
substitute St. John's for Depaul if you want. Same thing.
1) the class of 2021 is still gonna be in high school this season; 2) we're not talking about this season anyways; 3) we're talking about future matchups against ooc opponents; 4) depaul is recruiting better than any aac team right now but we arent choosing between cincy or memphis and depaul idk why you even brought depaul up; 5) we'd rather play any other p5 in our recruiting footprint than cincy

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom