UConn may be going to the B1G Conference! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn may be going to the B1G Conference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As far as the B1G, they should dump the AAU requirement because let's face it, UConn even without AAU membership is a better academic institution than half of their members already.

Name the seven schools.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Name the seven schools.

Oooh. A Dukie lays down a challenge.

Based on US News & World Report rankings looks like it's actually eight schools with a lower ranking than UConn: Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan State, Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oooh. A Dukie lays down a challenge.

Based on US News & World Report rankings looks like it's actually eight schools with a lower ranking than UConn: Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan State, Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland.

Innocent question ..... not trying to stir the pot any ;)

Reaction Score
IMO UCONN has no shot for B1G. None. They'd just look to take another ACC team rather than us. Our only shot is for either B1G to raid the ACC or SEC to raid. We're too small for B1G. If we weren't considered too small they would have taken us over RU.

I do believe ta some point the SC will come calling for FSU.

Maybe Clemson too but definieltey FSU. Then we get a shot for the ACC.

Reaction Score
IMO UCONN has no shot for B1G. None. They'd just look to take another ACC team rather than us. Our only shot is for either B1G to raid the ACC or SEC to raid. We're too small for B1G. If we weren't considered too small they would have taken us over RU.

Maybe somebody has made this point, if so forgive my redundancy. As a WCBB fan I would soooo much rather be in the ACC, if we do get 'anointed' by one of the power conferences. Imagine the competition the ACC might actually present us over any other conference. It would be great, I think it would insure that our recruiting would stay strong too.

Reaction Score
Maybe somebody has made this point, if so forgive my redundancy. As a WCBB fan I would soooo much rather be in the ACC, if we do get 'anointed' by one of the power conferences. Imagine the competition the ACC might actually present us over any other conference. It would be great, I think it would insure that our recruiting would stay strong too.

UConn will take anything it can get.
Staying longterm in the AAC will mean death.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As I mentioned in the CR board, UConn really is the last legitimate medium sized school east of the Mississippi that has a really solid academic standing (that continues to improve) and athletic programs that actually win titles while competing in the NCAA's top division. Who else is left that's not already in a P5 conference? No one is leaving the SEC or B1G for the ACC, so unless the ACC wants to invite the South Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs they may have to swallow their pride and take UConn (a school that's actually closer to the Atlantic Ocean than almost every one of their members). As far as the B1G, they should dump the AAU requirement because let's face it, UConn even without AAU membership is a better academic institution than half of their members already.

Sorry, but there will be no teams added to the SEC in a state that already has a team. The SEC already has the most popular teams in each of our states except for Texas. A lesser team from any of those states adds nothing to the TV market footprint. For example, in South Carolina, Clemson has the plurality of fans in 2 counties and USC in 44 counties.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052970203846804578101281578171860.html

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...04579040820721321490.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Reaction Score

I happen to believe as you do about hte ACC in that respect. However the B1G from what I understand will get a lot more money than the ACC. With money comes influence and power - and that is why imo in another way - B1G is more attractive. But as a WCBB fan, yes I agree - ACC would be best.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For the foreseeable future, UConn will be in the American.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but there will be no teams added to the SEC in a state that already has a team. The SEC already has the most popular teams in each of our states except for Texas. A lesser team from any of those states adds nothing to the TV market footprint. For example, in South Carolina, Clemson has the plurality of fans in 2 counties and USC in 44 counties.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203846804578101281578171860?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203846804578101281578171860.html

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324324404579040820721321490?mod=wsj_share_tweet&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324324404579040820721321490.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Keep living your dream. FSU was champion this year. Fla State wins again in the near term and/or continues to outperform Florida then it's just flat out wrong to call Fla State "a lesser team."

And the last two years Clemson has had higher recruiting rankings than USC despite Clemson being in an inferior football conference. How long will Spurrier hang on and then how far will USC continue to drop? As of right now USC superior to Clemson - sure. But if they accepted two Texas schools they'll easily accept two schools from Fla and maybe SC.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?class=2014

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?class=2015

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
AAU membership isn't about academics.
AAU membership is about research dollars and the money that brings into the schools.
and U.S. News & World's list doesn't address the latter at all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd love to see it happen - but you are 100% correct. Maybe 5-7 years from now if the landscape changes a lot.
5-7 years? Doubt it's that far out. However, UCONN will pretty much go wherever they are invited and it's not like we want to stay in the AAC. The Big 10, SEC, ACC - if they decide to make moves any time soon, the domino's will eventually affect UCONN favorably. Of course we all wish it were sooner than later, but I don't think it will be in 5-7 years. But maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part... We will see - nothing we as fans can do except go out and support all our teams, especially the football program.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nobody really knows what the ACC, B1G, SEC or the Big12 will do. All is just speculation.

So here's to the football program showing some serious play. That's what we need right now.

As to the rest, just support Uconn.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Keep living your dream. FSU was champion this year. Fla State wins again in the near term and/or continues to outperform Florida then it's just flat out wrong to call Fla State "a lesser team."

And the last two years Clemson has had higher recruiting rankings than USC despite Clemson being in an inferior football conference. How long will Spurrier hang on and then how far will USC continue to drop? As of right now USC superior to Clemson - sure. But if they accepted two Texas schools they'll easily accept two schools from Fla and maybe SC.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?class=2014

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?class=2015
FSU may have a better team right now, but Florida has, by far, the bigger fan base, and it's all about money.

South Carolina has beaten Clemson 5 years in a row; we have better facilities, more money and a bigger fan base. Clemson would add nothing to the SEC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Nah, he's right - Florida State is a distant second in the state of Florida. The SEC turned Florida State down early in 2013 prior to the ACC signing a grant of rights - adding FSU doesn't help the SEC with its new network as it's already the dominant player in the state. In terms of fan support, Florida is one of the top 5-7 programs in the country.

Reaction Score
Nah, he's right - Florida State is a distant second in the state of Florida. The SEC turned Florida State down early in 2013 prior to the ACC signing a grant of rights - adding FSU doesn't help the SEC with its new network as it's already the dominant player in the state. In terms of fan support, Florida is one of the top 5-7 programs in the country.

Nah - As I stated if FSU makes another title run - then popularity runs to winners. And just becuase Fla is "more popular" now means "nothing." FSU is/will be especially attractive if they do as I state is possible- win another title soon and Fla doesn't do much then "then the fickle popularity polls" will continue to rise for FSU. There would be no reason why they wouldn't want two Fla teams similar to having two Texas teams.

Mark it down - FSU gets next call from SEC whenever they decide. There is no reason to not have two super teams in hot bed Fla. FSU if- they beat the SEC again for a title or God-fobid the SEC doesn't play in a title game while their neighbor FSU does - they will call FSU eventually.

Reaction Score
FSU may have a better team right now, but Florida has, by far, the bigger fan base, and it's all about money.

South Carolina has beaten Clemson 5 years in a row; we have better facilities, more money and a bigger fan base. Clemson would add nothing to the SEC.

FSU has a better team right now - right. So you are backing away from your "inferior" statement, right? Just wanted to point out Fla State is NOT inferior as you suggetsed to Fla right now, right?

Fans are fickle they gravitate to winners.And if your statement of Fla being more popular held much value then Fla State wouldn't have outrecruited them two staright years unless you know they'll beat Fla State down over next two years after this?

Fact is- if you are in the SEC - you are popular. If Fla State remains better and wins another title soon, their poularity rises and if Fla isn't threatening for a title, we'll see your Fla popularity poll dwindle a bit more. Now put Fla State in the SEC for a couple of years- let's see how much more popular Fla is after those years.

And you replied to me about USC vs. Clemson but your reply doesn't mean much. You disregarded my statement of Spurrier. If you don't think losing Spurrier at some point will have an impact (or as he ages he loses "something") then we can agree to disgree. Your statement of what the two teams have done with Spurrier has NOTHING to do with my point if/when he goes or ages and begins to slip.

Reaction Score
FSU has a better team right now - right. So you are backing away from your "inferior" statement, right? Just wanted to point out Fla State is NOT inferior as you suggetsed to Fla right now, right? . . . if your statement of Fla being more popular held much value . . . .And you replied to me about USC vs. Clemson but your reply doesn't mean much . . . [etc.] . . .

He's just expressing his opinion, as are you. Sounds like you're taking it personally.

I'm guessing that sometime during the last twenty years you might have been wrong about
something.

Reaction Score
5-7 years? Doubt it's that far out. However, UCONN will pretty much go wherever they are invited and it's not like we want to stay in the AAC. The Big 10, SEC, ACC - if they decide to make moves any time soon, the domino's will eventually affect UCONN favorably. Of course we all wish it were sooner than later, but I don't think it will be in 5-7 years. But maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part... We will see - nothing we as fans can do except go out and support all our teams, especially the football program.

When I said 5-7 yrs , I was specifically addressing the Big 10 rumor. Actually I think that may be optimistic for any chance for that league. ACC could be sooner, however, if some dominos fall the right way.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Dont understand why some people just cannot understand that. They all must live up north or something. ;) I can't think of a state in which the Land-Grant university is more popular than the "Flagship" university. USCarolina, Texas, UNC, UVA, Michigan, Oklahoma, Indiana, Kansas, Iowa, Oregon...et al ..have more fans and money than their counterparts in their respective states.

Reaction Score
Being Old School a romantic of sorts, and having disdain for the EXTREME pursuit of the dollar, I'd like to see us stay put and help The American improve. Seems to me we have a commitment of sorts. And, just as athletes are role models, so are universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom