UConn may be going to the B1G Conference! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn may be going to the B1G Conference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TRI: depends what sort of "popular" you mean. For example, Purdue had a long run where they seemed, or seem, to be a strong rival to IU on several dimensions.......similar in undergrad size, I believe.....Purdue has dominated on the gridiron by about 2/1.....not sure about research dollars, but I know Purdue brings in a lot of it.

Reaction Score
Being Old School a romantic of sorts, and having disdain for the EXTREME pursuit of the dollar, I'd like to see us stay put and help The American improve. Seems to me we have a commitment of sorts. And, just as athletes are role models, so are universities.
Every school is looking out for itself, and only itself. Including every school in the AAC.

After carrying the Big East for the better part of two decades, UConn pretty much got left for dead by a bunch of schools that haven't accomplished half as much. The idea that UConn owes the American anything is kind of absurd - they should (and will) jump at the first chance for greener pastures.

Reaction Score
He's just expressing his opinion, as are you. Sounds like you're taking it personally.

I'm guessing that sometime during the last twenty years you might have been wrong about
something.

And I can say the same about you. It seems like you don't want me to disagree. What did I say that was so bad? Can't I disagree with his opinion?

Reaction Score
The real point is to understand media economics. The SEC already has a major media presence in Florida. Adding FSU only marginally enhances something that already exists. (People can--and do--watch both UF and FSU games.) On the other hand, the SEC at present has no foothold in, say, North Carolina. The media economic boost from adding UNC to the SEC would be many multiples of the advantage netted by adding FSU, as it breaks wholly new ground, establishes them in a market where they simply don't exist at present. Comparative advantage is the game. Expansion extensively rather than intensively adds the most TV sets and eyeballs. (I'm also drawing a blank on what this second Texas team the SEC has might be, aTm and ??? If you're talking UT, that's the "killer app" of college athletics and everything is different where the Longhorns are concerned.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The real point is to understand media economics. The SEC already has a major media presence in Florida. Adding FSU only marginally enhances something that already exists. (People can--and do--watch both UF and FSU games.) On the other hand, the SEC at present has no foothold in, say, North Carolina. The media economic boost from adding UNC to the SEC would be many multiples of the advantage netted by adding FSU, as it breaks wholly new ground, establishes them in a market where they simply don't exist at present. Comparative advantage is the game. Expansion extensively rather than intensively adds the most TV sets and eyeballs. (I'm also drawing a blank on what this second Texas team the SEC has might be, aTm and ??? If you're talking UT, that's the "killer app" of college athletics and everything is different where the Longhorns are concerned.)

Well here in ACC country.... the SEC stands for Sure Everybody Cheats..... so UNC would be a natural target if they ever decided to expand :rolleyes:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Exactly; which is why a future SEC expansion would likely be in North Carolina and Virginia.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Dont understand why some people just cannot understand that. They all must live up north or something. ;) I can't think of a state in which the Land-Grant university is more popular than the "Flagship" university. USCarolina, Texas, UNC, UVA, Michigan, Oklahoma, Indiana, Kansas, Iowa, Oregon...et al ..have more fans and money than their counterparts in their respective states.

Is Virginia football really more popular than Va Tech? I know it's just last year and only one measure but last year's attendance figures show that Va Tech drew 17,000 more people per game than UVa.

Reaction Score

You're right - I thought there were two. My bad.

We can agree to disagree though now your point hit home but don't agree with it.

In business you look to take out the competition. Th other states you get won't have as large of an impact vs. winning.

Dwight Howard - whom is a commodidty told Melo go to the team (i.e. school) that you can win with- the money will follow. He said he got nothing being in media market of LA. He said he'll get his enodrsements by winning. SEC will make ther money with FSU as well. They'll be putting a crushing blow to the ACC - a competitor.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Is Virginia football really more popular than Va Tech? I know it's just last year and only one measure but last year's attendance figures show that Va Tech drew 17,000 more people per game than UVa.
Football is more popular at Virginia Tech and basketball is more popular at Virginia. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but in 80% of cases, the flagship university is going to have a larger fan base.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fact is- if you are in the SEC - you are popular. If Fla State remains better and wins another title soon, their poularity rises and if Fla isn't threatening for a title, we'll see your Fla popularity poll dwindle a bit more. Now put Fla State in the SEC for a couple of years- let's see how much more popular Fla is after those years.
And that is probably the biggest reason FL St won't be in the SEC. They are not going to intentionally hurt one of their biggest brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom