UCONN-Maryland post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pleased with the end result. Edwards continues to be a turnover machine. Shade’s performance makes you wonder where she was last game. Hard to believe KK is only the third best freshman guard in the nation, but so far she is. Still some concerns that won’t be addressed until UCLA game.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Paige pulled the kid down, you could see it clearly in the replay
Absolutely. I was dissapointed in her at that play... dangerous for both players, and totally unecessary. Paige has many better ways to retaliate against rough play, that was a bad choice.

There were ample examples of Maryland players also going too far also, I get that. No reason for UConn to play that game.

Overall, I think our team looked as tough and assertive as they have in a long while, and that is a good thing. It can be done cleanly and effectively as mamy past UConn teams have demonstrated.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I was dissapointed in her at that play... dangerous for both players, and totally unecessary. Paige has many better ways to retaliate against rough play, that was a bad choice.

There were ample examples of Maryland players also going too far also, I get that. No reason for UConn to play that game.

Overall, I think our team looked as tough and assertive as they have in a long while, and that is a good thing. It can be done cleanly and effectively as mamy past UConn teams have demonstrated.
I agree and offer one example. Aaliyah was shoved to the ground (in front of a ref, with no call). Instead of Aaliyah decking the kid, on Maryland’s next offensive possession, Ice boxed out aggressively, with a little hip check action that sent the Maryland player to the floor. Ice took the foul call with a little smirk. I loved it, she was channeling Asjha although Asjha never got called for the foul. Ice is still young yet :)

Reaction Score
She stinks.. Every great shooter has an off night. She is such a high volume shooter, Iowa has a problem when she is off. Her point total yesterday looks great, but it took a huge number of shots. Years ago i went to an NBA Celtic game where Tom Heinsohn who was a very good shooter went something like 0 for 16. Hard to explain why those games happen and other nights shots are going in from all over with eyes glued shut.
That had to be many years ago if you saw Heinsohn play :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Even though I’m posting this, I’d like to point out that while I don’t know if Paige and Caitlin are friends, they are friendly. I hope people don’t go hating on Caitlin because of the publicity about her, which she can’t control.

I do think Paige had the better, more efficient night last night.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That had to be many years ago if you saw Heinsohn play :)
It was so long ago (I was in the cradle) that it was part of a doubleheader the NBA had occasionally involving 4 teams, it was in the OLD Madison Square Garden, the Knicks were in the other game and their fans were merciless to Tommy. Not only that, to really date myself, beer-belly set shooting old Clyde Lovelette was a Celtic end of bencher who entered the game late and promptly drained a 20 footer. The crowd went wild.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Even though I’m posting this, I’d like to point out that while I don’t know if Paige and Caitlin are friends, they are friendly. I hope people don’t go hating on Caitlin because of the publicity about her, which she can’t control.

I do think Paige had the better, more efficient night last night.

They are both generational and worth the price of admission.

Reaction Score
It was so long ago (I was in the cradle) that it was part of a doubleheader the NBA had occasionally involving 4 teams, it was in the OLD Madison Square Garden, the Knicks were in the other game and their fans were merciless to Tommy. Not only that, to really date myself, beer-belly set shooting old Clyde Lovelette was a Celtic end of bencher who entered the game late and promptly drained a 20 footer. The crowd went wild.
Very cool! I saw a game in the old Garden as well so you know I'm up there.

Reaction Score
Safe to say this is a game we were "expecting" from this team. Not sure they worked everything out they need to, but what a tremendous effort by literally the entire team. I think everyone who played did something good, some of them did things great. I thought all the newbies looked like they BELONGED which is saying something against a top 20 team. Bravo for the entire team and the great effort. I'll let Geno pick on things to work on in the film session, but all I can say is BRAVO ladies!!

This freshman class is gonna be good. They will have growing pains and ups and downs, but you can't teach heart and they all have it. Not to mention skills!
Add Jana next year to ICE and the frosh and we have a Top 20 team. While UConn's goals are much higher, nice to see this foundation Huskies have to build on for several more years.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget the over the back no-call that started the play.
No there is no over the back. Don’t start with this crap. Paige had to jump away from the basket just to get one hand on the ball. She never really even had control. Sellers was in clear position to get a clean rebound with both hands and Paige fell into her vs the other way around. It was a clear foul and a proper call. Sorry boneyard mutombo finger wag

Reaction Score
Sorry to see Azzi out of the line up but it forces UConn to run the offense through Paige as it should and she really took over the game when it mattered. She also hit the back breaker right before the half and that is what she can do that most can't. The starting five last night was limited but once the right combination was on the floor they looked really good. The defense from start to finish was absolutely beautiful.

CD hustled and played great defense but her offensive game is really not there right now. I would like to see he pull up and shoot a 10 footer instead of taking it all the way to the bigs where she really struggles. The team still has several very easy shots that were missed but they also forced a ton of turnovers that turned into good transition points. Aubrey played a monster game and showed she might be the best person to give them a presence for getting some rebounds.

Reaction Score
I love the rotation of Bueckers, Muhl, and Arnold. Three very good players who all bring different things to the table.

I'm concerned about Ducharme, but not worried. I think it will all come together for her. If Aubrey is limited to 3-5 minutes at a time, I'd favor Aubrey starting and Carol coming off the bench at 3-5 minutes. Start with a bang, bring the shooter in.

I said after the exhibition that I love Shade, and nothing has changed that. Loving all four of the freshmen. Personally, I think whenever a game gets as out-of-hand physically as this one, Geno should put Ice in. She has some imposing presence. Heck, they really won't get much of a jab or hook on KK with her movement.

I think the team found themselves this evening. They won't play like this every game, but they know they've got it in 'em, and they know what it takes and what it feels like.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Azzi.
Agree with all this input. Also loved to watch the brief times Ice and Edwards were in together. Against a team like Maryland that is close to a flagrant foul on very defensive play, watching the Terrapin bodies bouncing off of the two UConn bigs put a smile on my face.

Reaction Score
Paige and the freshman the bight spots. Edwards, 6 turnovers for a big? Seems as if when she decides to move down low she rarely feels the double-team and gets herself in trouble - tie-up, travel, 3 secs or a TO. She does get pushed around through, no doubt. Caroline needs to figure some things out but great win nonetheless. Sellers reminds me of Olivia Mills ( not the glasses) when Mills was a freshman.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and had a good angle for this play. Paige totally grabbed her arm and pulled her to the ground with herself on purpose. She knew what she was doing. Probably just got po'd.
The replay is front and center. Nothing about an angle being at the game is required. Unless you were sitting on the floor of course…? Doubt it. She totally meant to pull I just don’t think she realized the ball was not in play because she barely even got her hands on it in the first place. If sellers had the ball in her hands no one would care. That’s the thing, she’s wrapped up with someone for possession but the ball has slipped out. I don’t think Paige was aware of anything but winning the battle. Plus like others have said she got hit in the face. I’m not saying she didn’t know what she was doing, just she didn’t know what the situation really was and got caught up. It was obviously called the right way. I’m against the notion she pulled a player down simply because she was frustrated.

Reaction Score
I really like the way KK plays. First, she's big (thick and strong) and quick. KK can consistently create her own shot by driving inside and finishing among the trees or doing a step-back. This adds a whole new dimension to the offense, especially in the half-court. And she can lead the break and break the press at ease. At one point, I thought she was going to go behind the back pass a-la Magic (and the SC Freshman!) on a beautiful dish to Paige. I think she could do it, but she was smart as Geno would have gone nuts if she messed it up! Finally, she a pest on defense and a beast going after rebounds and loose balls. So much energy that fed to other players, especially Paige.

Nika might still start, but KK deserves a LOT of PT. She's one of the few players on the team that has plus athleticism and speed.
Too soon to reach a final conclusion, but as the season goes on Geno will likely have to make some decisions regarding Nika and KK's playing time. Have always loved Nika but KK appears to have stronger skills across the board - just as good or better on defense with much stronger offensive skills across the board. I have always said you had to play Nika since her energy is the heart of this Huskie team but KK is special. Suspect Nika will start throughout the year but KK will continue to get more time, particularly in critical situations.

Reaction Score
What about Ines? The young lady made a nice contribution off the bench last year because of injuries, even earning some time as a starter, and now finds herself relegated to second to last off the bench if she gets to play at all. She looks miserable. We're only three games in, but if this what her immediate UCONN future looks like, granted because of all the talent ahead of her, I wouldn't be a happy camper either.

Reaction Score
Very cool! I saw a game in the old Garden as well so you know I'm up there.
Very much OT, but fun memories... however, someone needs to point out that "beer-belly, set-shooting old Clyde Lovelette" was one of the all-time best players. At 6'9", he was a collegiate NPOY and NCAA MOP for Kansas when it won a national title, was the big scorer for the U.S.'s gold-medal winning team in '52, and was a key player for Lakers and Celtics title teams in the NBA. He averaged 17 ppg and 9 rebounds in the NBA over his 13-year career.

Cohenzone, you happened to catch Clyde when all those beers had caught up with him, but I remember watching him play in the late '50s. He was outstanding and, yes, perhaps remembered best for being one of the first big men to shoot from the perimeter.

As for the old MSG, other than seeing circuses there, my only experience was a special one, seeing Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar making his much-heralded return to NYC as a sophomore for UCLA in the old Holiday Festival. The Bruins were defending national champs and then added Lew (who was ineligible to play varsity as a freshman).

Their win over outmanned Holy Cross was a blowout, yet I most remember seeing the Crusaders basically transfixed in pre-game, watching Alcindor during the warmup layup line. Dunking wasn't permitted, so Lew would dribble in, take a little jump and basically drop the ball into the hoop from well above it. Game over... LOL!

Reaction Score
Not the most efficient offensive performance, but it they can continue that level of defensive intensity they will be OK.

Reaction Score
What about Ines? The young lady made a nice contribution off the bench last year because of injuries, even earning some time as a starter, and now finds herself relegated to second to last off the bench if she gets to play at all. She looks miserable. We're only three games in, but if this what her immediate UCONN future looks like, granted because of all the talent ahead of her, I wouldn't be a happy camper either.
Geno has said in the past that he puts a huge premium on body language. If she really does look miserable then that does not bode well…..

Reaction Score
Pleased with the end result. Edwards continues to be a turnover machine. Shade’s performance makes you wonder where she was last game. Hard to believe KK is only the third best freshman guard in the nation, but so far she is. Still some concerns that won’t be addressed until UCLA game.
Thank you. Edwards had more turnovers than either made baskets or rebounds. From the 3:58 point of the second quarter, she had 2 points and two rebounds the remainder of the game.

I thought Griffin was great and was basically the only rebounder on the team. Arnold and Shade really impressed - I thought they were the third and fourth best performers. Geno is going to have to play freshmen a lot this year if he wants to win.

But in the end, it was Paige getting pissed, picking herself up off the floor and carrying the team over the last 2+ quarters. That was an awe-inspiring performance. Her competitive fire was probably the biggest thing missing from the team. Arnold and Shade seem to have it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom