UCONN-Maryland post game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1-- The injury to Azzi is a a potential big blow.
2--- Caroline stil not the same.
3-- Love Aubrey Griffin. Hoping that she isn't gong to be just a "spurt-player" which Geno previously suggested during preseason.
4-- Nika Muhl's value might increase and decrease a lot (if not overall but on some specfic nights) by the health of and CD. UCONN will need scoring. This opens up the door even more for KK, Shade, and Q in which any can consistently get core playing time regardless of 's or CD's "availalbility." .
5-- Thank God for Edwards. What an athlete - combination of quickness, size, and strength. And she has skill to add with it.
6-- Paige Bueckers is highly overrated. She can't leap over buildings nor can she heal other player's injuries. - But she can do just about everything else. :) There is no such thing as "not having a chance" when she is on the floor. :)
7-- The 3 freshmen and ICE are all significantly unique and bring a value needed due to injuury to the table. I wish all four were 2-year playing time sophomores.
Off-topic: 8-- Hope when Patterson comes back she can eventually show that she is the athlete that she was in high school and not the player we saw as a frosh.

Reaction Score
I was just happy that the Freshies got some major floor time. It has to be tough on the coaching staff to figure out how many minutes this player gets vs that player. Seeing Shade dropping shots or playing some incredible defense. Y'all see her Ball Line defense? Holy smokes!! That was frigging textbook! Coach Tubby Smith would have been proud. It was just a joy.

Paige stepped up. Someone hit the nail on the head in the Chat. Paige can finish with the best in the game, College or Pro! Her stop and pop game is lethal! Her drives and finish game is strong. Just glad that she was in attack mode, as always.

But overall. A great game. I am just glad that he had a team like Maryland to face. A physical team but not too physical that likes to push the tempo. Way to go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. That was the toughest, most physical, and best defensive Maryland team I’ve ever seen! It seems old dogs can learn new tricks!

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade was +27 in 16 minutes.

One can only wonder if the result would've been different if she got off the bench on Sunday.
I have said from the moment we signed her, that Shade has a high basketball IQ, is relentless, smart and full of energy. She can do it all even if she doesn't look the part. She will prove to be outstanding. I am delighted that Geno finally saw it.

Reaction Score
Not much being said about Ice but I thought her game was 100% improved. She mixed it up under the basket and came down with a couple of rebounds in heavy traffic, while in previous games she seemed to avoid the tussle of rebounding. She could be the force Geno is looking for from her if she keeps it up.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade was +27 in 16 minutes.

One can only wonder if the result would've been different if she got off the bench on Sunday.
Ashe Shade is so much better than many people think. She is a relentless defender, smart as they come, resourceful and talented. She can make shots from anywhere, and will wear down her opposite number. I was really concerned when she had a DNP against NC State. I feared that Geno had type cast her as " having no obvious role." Just put her on the court and she will do miracles.

Reaction Score
I do feel bad about Ines, it doesn't seem likely that she will get any significant minutes this year as KK is solidly getting game time before she does. Maybe she can shine in practice and earn extra minutes. She is quick. I hope she delivers when she does get game time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not much being said about Ice but I thought her game was 100% improved. She mixed it up under the basket and came down with a couple of rebounds in heavy traffic, while in previous games she seemed to avoid the tussle of rebounding. She could be the force Geno is looking for from her if she keeps it up.
I like her playing with Aaliyah in the lineup to give the Huskies another presence in the paint.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ehhh ..... more like Paige got pissed and pulled the girl down
it happens
Yeah she got pissed because she took an elbow to the face.

Reaction Score
I agree! She is a (red-shirt) freshman and that means even though she was on the sidelines last year, she couldn't play due to injury and rehab. It's nice to see her improvements along with all of the other freshmen.

Reaction Score
When Nika and KK were on the floor together it seemed the offense was a little disjointed. Nika seemed a little lost when KK had the ball in her hands.
That is absolutely totally not true. When they were on the floor together in the second half, the team put the game out of reach by getting east buckets in transition. That three point guard lineup was tremendously effective. Nika moves very well on offense off the ball, which is evident when one is at the game.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I was dissapointed in her at that play... dangerous for both players, and totally unecessary. Paige has many better ways to retaliate against rough play, that was a bad choice.

There were ample examples of Maryland players also going too far also, I get that. No reason for UConn to play that game.

Overall, I think our team looked as tough and assertive as they have in a long while, and that is a good thing. It can be done cleanly and effectively as mamy past UConn teams have demonstrated.
If I was poked in the eye and then elbowed in the face, it would be difficult to not react. She is human.

Reaction Score
She stinks.. Every great shooter has an off night. She is such a high volume shooter, Iowa has a problem when she is off. Her point total yesterday looks great, but it took a huge number of shots. Years ago i went to an NBA Celtic game where Tom Heinsohn who was a very good shooter went something like 0 for 16. Hard to explain why those games happen and other nights shots are going in from all over with eyes glued shut.
The highest scorer after Catlin only had 10 points. This is not the formula for a top 5 team! It is a one player show!!

Reaction Score
The highest scorer after Catlin only had 10 points. This is not the formula for a top 5 team! It is a one player show!!

The second leading scorer for UConn yesterday only had 12 points.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, returning to the Maryland game I am mystified by Caroline's lack of productivity. I know she can be streaky, so I'm hoping she'll play he way out of it. With it looking pretty serious for Azzi, we need Caroline to grab a streak and make it year long.

Another general game observation: I think Maryland has to reexamine what's on the training table.
It's not likely anything that is within her control. She is playing in the fog of her on-going condition. Only time will likely fix her - not clear how much time

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What does that have to do with her talent? Nothing. Try to figure out the difference between team talent, coaching and individual ability. Silly discussion.

Reaction Score
Depends where she is drafted. Not sure what her role would be on a team that has a take charge guard and go to players already. She will need a team where she is the center of attention, or she will have problems, imho.
If you follow the drafts much, you would know that she will most likely go to a weaker team that doesn't have a go to player or at least one that is a guard. :)

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Yeah she got pissed because she took an elbow to the face.
she did .... and then flipped the girl over her shoulder
thought is was great - but she deserved the foul they called

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since I was at the game last night, I just got around to watching Paige’s takedown of Sellers. My son wrestled throughout HS, so I have watched a lot of wrestling matches. Paige was executing a wrestling move called a “one arm shoulder throw.”

It’s usually done from a standing position where you have more leverage. It’s very hard to do from your knees. Paige’s execution was pretty damned good for a basketball player. The only thing she missed was that Sellers should have ended up on her back, with Paige on top for the pin…:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I like her playing with Aaliyah in the lineup to give the Huskies another presence in the paint.
I don't think Edwards is an effective inside player. When she gets the ball on the low post, a turnover is more likely than a shot, much less a made shot. She doesn't have quickness of hand or foot and gets flustered very easily. On defense, Edwards offers little in rim protection. She is much better as a second big than as a primary one on that side.

Reaction Score
Since I was at the game last night, I just got around to watching Paige’s takedown of Sellers. My son wrestled throughout HS, so I have watched a lot of wrestling matches. Paige was executing a wrestling move called a “one arm shoulder throw.”

It’s usually done from a standing position where you have more leverage. It’s very hard to do from your knees. Paige’s execution was pretty damned good for a basketball player. The only thing she missed was that Sellers should have ended up on her back, with Paige on top for the pin…:rolleyes:
I wrestled and coached the sport for over 30 years. That wasn't a wrestling move. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
—I thought Coach Abe had taken over the Terrapin squad. Maryland didn’t play physical. They played dirty. Sellers especially.
—Paige was brilliant of course. Wish Geno would still limit her minutes.
—Huge improvement in stopping dribble penetration.
—At least three times, a Husky boxed out, got the rebound and had it taken away from them.
—Brady and Edwards on the floor at the same time will be effective eventually. They both need to start hitting perimeter shots.
—Shade was ready to go and did well after DNP on Sunday.
—CD needs to do something to fill up that stat sheet. It isn’t happening yet.
—The bumpy road of a freshman. Q was great Sunday, tonight not so much.
—UConn still seems uncomfortable against full court pressure. I guess the OSU game is still fresh in my head.
—The WNBA may take a less toll on Edwards’ body. No way will she take the beating she gets from the college double teams.
Once someone " poked the bear" ( hit Paige in the eye),it was all over. She returned with a vengeance and ignited the team. Ice Brady became energized and began banging bodies. When she hit that three near the end, I was elated. That is what we need. Ice at full capacity can score low and high. KK went into superstar mode and just took over. Press the UCONN team and you get KK and open looks down the court. She simply dominated when she chose to. Shade was brilliant and should be on the court a lot. Q had an off day shooting ( rushed ) but played decent "D." Sadly, I think we must get used to minimum contributions from Caroline and Azzi ( now injured ). Caroline missed an open look, blew a lay-up and turned the ball over ( walked ) in a thirty five second series. She sat down with an ice bag on her head. If she has lingering concussion symptoms, she should retire form the game. Azzi has swelling from taking a shot in practice. And is day to day as we await test results. But she has already had three knee surgeries ( HS and UCONN ). At some point, the body just says, " enough." I fear we may be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom