UCONN-Maryland post game thread | The Boneyard

UCONN-Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Safe to say this is a game we were "expecting" from this team. Not sure they worked everything out they need to, but what a tremendous effort by literally the entire team. I think everyone who played did something good, some of them did things great. I thought all the newbies looked like they BELONGED which is saying something against a top 20 team. Bravo for the entire team and the great effort. I'll let Geno pick on things to work on in the film session, but all I can say is BRAVO ladies!!

This freshman class is gonna be good. They will have growing pains and ups and downs, but you can't teach heart and they all have it. Not to mention skills!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
—I thought Coach Abe had taken over the Terrapin squad. Maryland didn’t play physical. They played dirty. Sellers especially.
—Paige was brilliant of course. Wish Geno would still limit her minutes.
—Huge improvement in stopping dribble penetration.
—At least three times, a Husky boxed out, got the rebound and had it taken away from them.
—Brady and Edwards on the floor at the same time will be effective eventually. They both need to start hitting perimeter shots.
—Shade was ready to go and did well after DNP on Sunday.
—CD needs to do something to fill up that stat sheet. It isn’t happening yet.
—The bumpy road of a freshman. Q was great Sunday, tonight not so much.
—UConn still seems uncomfortable against full court pressure. I guess the OSU game is still fresh in my head.
—The WNBA may take a less toll on Edwards’ body. No way will she take the beating she gets from the college double teams.

Reaction Score
Awesome game for Paige, but also for Aubrey Aaliyah and the Freshmen

Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 6.39.37 PM.png

Reaction Score
Now this is the kind of game I like to see!! Went on a few patented UConn runs and played their butts off on defense, completely shutting Maryland down.

Great win for everyone involved. Paige was unstoppable, but also everyone contributed! Hopefully Azzi can heal up quick, too, but thankfully the team is clicking without her too. No need to rush her back.

Reaction Score
Paige was fantastic but she can take her game to another level. Too many good shots that she can make that she's still passing up. She needs to play offensively like Clark does. Be a ballhog. draw double teams then be a distributor. She's good enough.

Reaction Score
didn’t get to see the game, but looks like KK and Ashlynn had nice games. And of course Bueckers was Bueckers.

Reaction Score
I had said that Caroline will need to produce, but that wasn't the case at all- and that is the only disappointment that I have with the game. What a defensive performance by all! Also was really impressed by KK, Ash and Ice. So happy Ice got more time, and it was great playing both her and Aaliyah together. Paige was amazing- what a tough kid! Heal fast Azzi!

Reaction Score
Nice to see our team match the physicality and aggressiveness. They stepped up big and this had a final four vibe to it. Really high emotion high intensity first half.

Paige said ‘follow me‘ and the rest of the team did. Aubrey just a phenomenal game and impact.

How can you not love our 3 freshmen. Fearless. Completely fearless. Shade probably isn’t playing tonight if Azzi isn’t hurt, and she balled out. Really really am excited to watch these. 3 grow.

Lastly, really liked the Ice/Edwards pairing on the court together. May not work against every team, but in a game like this I thought it was a good look.

Reaction Score
Shaky start offensively, but the team looked totally bought in on defense from the jump. Loved to see that.

Rebounding still needs work, but a great improvement. Props to Aubrey for showing up on the glass in a big way.

Lots of great moments. Energy and shot making from Shade. Drives and distribution from Arnold. Ice hitting a 3.

Paige was brilliant once again. I even loved the two 3s she made because we ran her off screening action. We need to use that more, she’s a tremendous shooter.

Only cons are the mystery of Azzis injury. Her and knee injury in the same sentence makes me nervous. And Ducharme still looking flat. I’m afraid she’ll be surpassed by the young players if she doesn’t start to improve.

Reaction Score
This is a game that I was very concerned about. How would we react to the loss? Is Geno going to stay with the same lineup? If he decides to play the freshmen for extended periods how will they react. Well, we have the answer. I'm not ready to say we should be at the top of the heap but what we saw tonight bodes well for the rest of the season and for a few seasons to come. The two freshmen, Shade and Arnold are not only fearless but they did a great all around job. My only suggestion, and here comes the boos, is that he keep at least one of them in the starting lineup and take one of tonight's starters off the floor until she is one hundred percent healthy.

Reaction Score
Yes, the freshmen class will be outstanding, but until that moment comes, UConn has the outstanding player. Is there a doubt in anyone's mind that if Paige was so inclined, she could put up Caitlin Clark numbers at will?

Count me a skeptic thinking that the freshmen class would have to wait a year before making their mark. Glad to see Ashlyn get and make the most of her opportunity. KK looked more comfortable as the game went on and Ice showed her sweet left-handed shooting stroke from deep.

Hopefully, the news on Azzi will be promising, but Caroline seems out of sorts. She will be needed down the road, particularly if Azzi will be out for an extended period.

Great effort tonight, especially on the defensive end. Aubrey & Paige showed their leadership playing by example with steals, blocks and rebounds.

On a separate note, I don't think I've ever seen another player make more crazy angle, off-balance, high degree of difficulty shots than Shyanne Sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom