UCONN-Maryland post game thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hmm, your evaluation of Edwards play is astounding. I'm assuming you have not watched many of her games outside of this season? No offense intended, but you couldn't be more incorrect about most of her abilities. She's making a few more mistakes than usual, so I suspect she'll get it together very soon. Regardless, we don't have many (actually any) proven low post options.
Prior to this season, she did not play as the primary big. But she's always been clumsy on the court (hence all the "friendly fire" injuries to UConn women last season).

Reaction Score
Hmm, your evaluation of Edwards play is astounding. I'm assuming you have not watched many of her games outside of this season? No offense intended, but you couldn't be more incorrect about most of her abilities. She's making a few more mistakes than usual, so I suspect she'll get it together very soon. Regardless, we don't have many (actually any) proven low post options.
Edwards has turned the ball over numerous times the past two games. My observation is that she does turn the ball over in ‘big’ games and has done so her whole career (I’ve watched most of the games). Traveling, 3 second call and tie ups. When her mid range shots fall she is more effective down low. I do understand that she is undersized at times. I love the kid though. Seems like the turn overs are at the worse time also. There was one travel call on her yesterday that I disagreed with too.

Reaction Score
Not much being said about Ice but I thought her game was 100% improved. She mixed it up under the basket and came down with a couple of rebounds in heavy traffic, while in previous games she seemed to avoid the tussle of rebounding. She could be the force Geno is looking for from her if she keeps it up.
Ice was a different person. She can dominate. She just needs time to get mentally back on court, after a year recovering from surgery.

Reaction Score
No, it's not instance. It was a very physical game and she was annoyed about being the subject of so much "physicality". I get it. She needs to be aware that responding to it in frustration will only generate more of it. I'm sure she gets that, but in this particular moment she was just fed up.
Well, lets quote everything I said:

"Yes, of course you are correct. However, it was a reaction to first being poked in the eye and having to leave the game for several minutes. Then Sellers committing a foul that wasn't called. So she put Sellers in her place and let others know that she isn't going to be pushed around. I think Paige is generally in perfect control of her emotions, and I'm sure you do as well.."

Although I agree with you generally, I also believe she "let others know that she isn't going to be pushed around." For me, that's a good thing! Opponents are always going to do whatever it takes to hinder your best player from playing their best. That's the way it's been since the inception of the game!

Reaction Score
Prior to this season, she did not play as the primary big. But she's always been clumsy on the court (hence all the "friendly fire" injuries to UConn women last season).
Oh my goodness, I won't even bother ripping that comment apart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edwards has turned the ball over numerous times the past two games. My observation is that she does turn the ball over in ‘big’ games and has done so her whole career (I’ve watched most of the games). Traveling, 3 second call and tie ups. When her mid range shots fall she is more effective down low. I do understand that she is undersized at times. I love the kid though. Seems like the turn overs are at the worse time also. There was one travel call on her yesterday that I disagreed with too.

Please explain how in the world Edwards (who is so bad in your opinion) was named All-American last season?

Reaction Score
Ines' situation reminds me a bit of Anna Makurat's. Anna came in to fill a hole in the lineup, did surprisingly well her first year but when Geno turn up his recruiting machine, Anna's time diminished. Both Anna and Ines appear to be quality individuals and the UConn experience is likely to help them in the future. Sometimes your personal success is not just a matter of minutes played.

Anna was injured with a stress fracture.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What about Ines? The young lady made a nice contribution off the bench last year because of injuries, even earning some time as a starter, and now finds herself relegated to second to last off the bench if she gets to play at all. She looks miserable. We're only three games in, but if this what her immediate UCONN future looks like, granted because of all the talent ahead of her, I wouldn't be a happy camper either.
I would be surprised if Geno did not talk to her before the season and explain to Ines what her role would be this season. However, if she is playing well in practice, why not play her. Playing time is supposedly earned in practice and I would think that would apply to Ines. She played well when CD played her but when Geno came back, he rarely played her except at the end at garbage time. Yesterday was the first time I ever saw her look as disappointed as she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom