UConn lands Brendan Adams, Tarin Smith in whirlwind recruiting weekend | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn lands Brendan Adams, Tarin Smith in whirlwind recruiting weekend

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Has Gilbert applied for his second year of red shirt eligibility? It's usually granted in his particular circumstance.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I have very little in the area of on-court expectations for next year.

Work hard, play smart, be engaged. It sounds like basic expectations for a college basketball team. I don't think we've had much of it the last couple of seasons.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There was a definite 3-4 more with Tulsa x2, Wichita G1 and Memphis G2.

That alone is a pretty big swing. It's not NCAA big, but still no longer a dumpster fire.

I'm guessing less completely demoralizing 30 point blowouts as well.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen from or heard from Gilbert lately? I think I recall Borges quoting that he’s sticking around. Conventional wisdom also says he would want to sit out another year with a transfer but is he on campus? Is he rehabbing in Georgia maybe? You get glimpses of everyone except him from the other guys’ online posts. He seems to be in the shadows lately...

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen from or heard from Gilbert lately? I think I recall Borges quoting that he’s sticking around. Conventional wisdom also says he would want to sit out another year with a transfer but is he on campus? Is he rehabbing in Georgia maybe? You get glimpses of everyone except him from the other guys’ online posts. He seems to be in the shadows lately...

Asked and answered...

Reaction Score
"Hurley apologistas" is a misnomer. Hurley has nothing to apologize for this year.

"KO bashers" have a better argument given track record. KO's last 4 years are in stone. The state of the program is in stone. With KO, it's not a matter of statistics, it's a matter of fact.

What people disagree with is how quick the turnaround should and will be.

Nor would I say Hurley has repeated what KO did. He didn't have multiple years to get ready for this class. He's been trying to fix KO's mistakes. There are only a handful of really good players out there, and every school wants them. Whereas KO had the entire country to choose from. Hurley may end up in a similar spot to KO coming in, but he started out needing a run to tie with 2 outs in the 9th.

I think "trust the process" at this point can be translated to "give Hurley time". Which everyone should.

Agree with pretty much all of this. "Give Hurley time" = the 2019 class is potentially make or break for this program. That's where he needs to nail it.

Smith is a bandaid. Adams is depth at a position where we have zero over the last 2 recruiting classes. Those are fine.

As long as we're not signing too many low-ceiling 4-year guys who deprive scholarships from potential 2019 studs, there's no problem with what Hurley is doing.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yes, we are on the verge of being the second coming of the 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers...a phoenix rising from the ashes! :cool:

we don't even have to be that.

we could be...say a lowly 7 seed, and just out coach and out work teams with no less than 4 future HOF coaches on it and win a title.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Most of the stuff from the guys is on the court. Gilbert's in the training room which doesn't make for good vids.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
we don't even have to be that.

we could be...say a lowly 7 seed, and just out coach and out work teams with no less than 4 future HOF coaches on it and win a title.

I'm pretty sure Hans, UConnDan 97 and I were joking about Dan's usual preseason prediction that the football team will go undefeated. However, your point is well taken.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Hans, UConnDan 97 and I were joking about Dan's usual preseason prediction that the football team will go undefeated. However, your point is well taken.

Fair enough.

I just like to regale in the 2014 run.

I give you guys credit for having any optimism with football. The fact that something was worse than the Chandler Whitmer era is just so disheartening.

Reaction Score
And not that anyone cares about rankings but 247sports ranks our recruiting class as #106 in the country...of course Adams is the only one they count because they don't count transfers but hey...we almost made the top 100 even with the slim pickings at this time of year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
And not that anyone cares about rankings but 247sports ranks our recruiting class as #106 in the country...of course Adams is the only one they count because they don't count transfers but hey...we almost made the top 100 even with the slim pickings at this time of year.
im not worried about this year. Next year is when we need to make an impact but im not thinking 5*s like everyone else. Just improvement ever year. This is roughly 3 year project to get to where we were. Winning cures all

Reaction Score
im not worried about this year. Next year is when we need to make an impact but im not thinking 5*s like everyone else. Just improvement ever year. This is a 2-4 project to get to where we were. Winning cures all

Agreed. Of the 4 scholarships next year I would be super happy with 2 4*s and 2 HIGH 3*s would be successful.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"Hurley apologistas" is a misnomer. Hurley has nothing to apologize for this year.

"KO bashers" have a better argument given track record. KO's last 4 years are in stone. The state of the program is in stone. With KO, it's not a matter of statistics, it's a matter of fact.

What people disagree with is how quick the turnaround should and will be.

Nor would I say Hurley has repeated what KO did. He didn't have multiple years to get ready for this class. He's been trying to fix KO's mistakes. There are only a handful of really good players out there, and every school wants them. Whereas KO had the entire country to choose from. Hurley may end up in a similar spot to KO coming in, but he started out needing a run to tie with 2 outs in the 9th.

I think "trust the process" at this point can be translated to "give Hurley time". Which everyone should.
Last year’s class bolted same time as this year’s class. KO and Hurley both had to scramble. Hurley gets similar last second players as KO and the attacker’s of KO who criticized him for not having a plan say Hurley has a strategy and the players were a great get considering the time frame. They are both band aid classes at least at this stage. If this class does better the Hurley supporters will state it’s proof and the KO supporters will argue it’s KO’s players that this happened and so on. Same bs as arguments over the 2014 team only reversed positions.

A person’s idea of apologista and making excuses depends on where we fall on KO.

The need to deride things that bother us is the issue. As I pointed out many times there was a large chorus of posters who agreed with Chief that Dyson was a bad player because he never won an NCAA postseason game. It was just as ludicrous then as it is now. Over time that sour grapes position ended with most posters. The predominant position became we never would have lost to Syracuse in 6 OT and had a better chance of beating MS with a healthy Dyson. But that sentiment took a good three years to take hold because people blamed Dyson for the way his senior season played out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Last year’s class bolted same time as this year’s class. KO and Hurley both had to scramble. Hurley gets similar last second players as KO and the attacker’s of KO who criticized him for not having a plan say Hurley has a strategy and the players were a great get considering the time frame. They are both band aid classes at least at this stage. If this class does better the Hurley supporters will state it’s proof and the KO supporters will argue it’s KO’s players that this happened and so on. Same bs as arguments over the 2014 team only reversed positions.

A person’s idea of apologista and making excuses depends on where we fall on KO.

The need to deride things that bother us is the issue. As I pointed out many times there was a large chorus of posters who agreed with Chief that Dyson was a bad player because he never won an NCAA postseason game. It was just as ludicrous then as it is now. Over time that sour grapes position ended with most posters. The predominant position became we never would have lost to Syracuse in 6 OT and had a better chance of beating MS with a healthy Dyson. But that sentiment took a good three years to take hold because people blamed Dyson for the way his senior season played out.
KO had this issue almost every year with no player development. Hurley has been here for what, a month and people expect to scoop all these kids that aren't left? I won't even be upset if we don't get a top 20 class next year. We just need to win.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Ollie was the incumbent coach, though. He lost HIS players. Hurley lost guys he never recruited. In addition, most of recruiting insiders are noting a noticable uptick in recruiting intensity from Hurley. That perception is likely coloring Hurley's players versus the ones Ollie had to get for this past season. But yeah, it is about perception, Ollie's, by last year end, were largely negative.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

And you also meant "a Husky rising from the ashes". Full points will still be awarded... :eek:

Reaction Score
KO had this issue almost every year with no player development. Hurley has been here for what, a month and people expect to scoop all these kids that aren't left? I won't even be upset if we don't get a top 20 class next year. We just need to win.
first of all I am pumped. I just got approved as a new member of the boneyarders. I am a uconn alum and uconn basketball enthusiasts. I have been reading the threads for a few years and welcome the different points of view.
Be patient and let's see what Hurley does. I've seen the ugly, the good, and back to the bad in my lifetime. I believe the pendulum is swinging back to the good.

Reaction Score
hello bomeyarders. I have been reading these threads for a couple of years now. Just been accepted into this fraternity! i enjoy reading and seeing the different views. Be patient. As a UCONN alum and basketball enthusiasts I have witnessed the ugly, the good , and now back the bad. I believe in Hurley and this team. The pendulum is back on a positive upswing grasshopper.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
KO's classes were quite varied. The 2016 class was on paper a great class that didn't end up fulfilling the rankings. If we hate KO it's because he can't develop players. To fit that narrative we have to say that KO had nothing to do with the success of the 2014 season.
I'm happy to move on from the KO era and I'm happy Hurley is on board. I just don't need to exaggerate the problems of the previous coach.
Ollie was the incumbent coach, though. He lost HIS players. Hurley lost guys he never recruited. In addition, most of recruiting insiders are noting a noticable uptick in recruiting intensity from Hurley. That perception is likely coloring Hurley's players versus the ones Ollie had to get for this past season. But yeah, it is about perception, Ollie's, by last year end, were largely negative.
Of course it's not pure apples to apples.

How do you measure intensity if the measurers are people. And this last statement does not mean I think they are wrong. It implies they could be wrong. I'm hopeful they are not wrong.

Reaction Score
Agree with pretty much all of this. "Give Hurley time" = the 2019 class is potentially make or break for this program. That's where he needs to nail it.

Smith is a bandaid. Adams is depth at a position where we have zero over the last 2 recruiting classes. Those are fine.

As long as we're not signing too many low-ceiling 4-year guys who deprive scholarships from potential 2019 studs, there's no problem with what Hurley is doing.
Smith and Adams will help with depth at G where we have a team need. Neither of them are likely to be program changers but both will get the opportunity to play. Smith is all he will ever be at this point and Adams will get the chance to develop. If Adams does develop we could have a very good player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom