UConn lands Brendan Adams, Tarin Smith in whirlwind recruiting weekend | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn lands Brendan Adams, Tarin Smith in whirlwind recruiting weekend

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
How could anyone trust someone who has won a championship 4 years ago? That's so common and so in the past.

I find it humorous that the KO bashers are the Hurley apologistas and excuse makers and the KO apologistas and excuse makers are the Hurley bashers.

Truth is people are like statistics. We believe our opinions are facts when all we're doing is propping our egos. We can't possibly be wrong therefore the other side has to be.

I'll support Hurley the same way I supported KO. He's our coach and bashing him is counterproductive. I'm hoping he can do what he has done with his past programs. I'll be patient with the process. But "trust the process"? Trust is earned. My belief that Hurley can bring the program the type of success we had in the past is just that - a belief. Beliefs don't buy cups of coffee.

Hurley's recruiting is not over. I'm still hoping he can get Lecque to reclassify and come to UConn. Or some other top recruit. That could really impact the upcoming season if Jalen remains and Alterique recovers.

If not than Hurley has essentially repeated what KO did last season when players bolted and left him scrambling. It is understandable in both coaches situations. Part of me hopes Hurley adds one more mediocre grad transfer big so I can get a gauge of his ability to coach at this level. Part of me hopes he gets that dynamic recruit.

This is not how college basketball works. It's a what have you done for me lately environment. Hurley > Ollie lately. These are the facts.

Reaction Score
How could anyone trust someone who has won a championship 4 years ago? That's so common and so in the past.

I find it humorous that the KO bashers are the Hurley apologistas and excuse makers and the KO apologistas and excuse makers are the Hurley bashers.

Truth is people are like statistics. We believe our opinions are facts when all we're doing is propping our egos. We can't possibly be wrong therefore the other side has to be.

I'll support Hurley the same way I supported KO. He's our coach and bashing him is counterproductive. I'm hoping he can do what he has done with his past programs. I'll be patient with the process. But "trust the process"? Trust is earned. My belief that Hurley can bring the program the type of success we had in the past is just that - a belief. Beliefs don't buy cups of coffee.

Hurley's recruiting is not over. I'm still hoping he can get Lecque to reclassify and come to UConn. Or some other top recruit. That could really impact the upcoming season if Jalen remains and Alterique recovers.

If not than Hurley has essentially repeated what KO did last season when players bolted and left him scrambling. It is understandable in both coaches situations. Part of me hopes Hurley adds one more mediocre grad transfer big so I can get a gauge of his ability to coach at this level. Part of me hopes he gets that dynamic recruit.
You mean when we picked up DO and KW who had little or no discernible basketball skills coming in. I see a big difference as DH has a plan with getting big tough guards to come in and play for us. We are going back to being a more guard oriented team and we need depth there. That was something KO never did while at UCONN which totally baffled me considering all the former guards including himself on the staff. KO just threw recruits against the wall and hoped they stuck while DH at least has a plan on getting players that buy into his system. I see a big difference so far and hopefully we will start seeing some big recruits in the near future after our image is repaired a little.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I know for me, personally, I am less interested in what Dan Hurley sees and is trying to build and far more interested in hearing what someone here saw on YouTube. I mean any of the yarders could coach, recruit and develop a top 25 team - just ask them.

Well I could, definitely, but you’re right everyone else is insane.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I find it humorous that the KO bashers are the Hurley apologistas and excuse makers and the KO apologistas and excuse makers are the Hurley bashers...I'll support Hurley the same way I supported KO. He's our coach and bashing him is counterproductive...

This is where I'm at also. I was very excited about Akinjo, Matthews, and Kisunas. And I'm currently very excited about Adams and Smith.

I believed that we would be in the hunt for the conference title this year with Ollie and an extra year for the entire team + Sid Wilson and new recruits. I now believe that we will be in the hunt for a conference title this year with Hurley + the extra year, Wilson, and recruits.

People come and go. UConn is forever...

Reaction Score
I agree that we need five guards. There had been talk that one of them might be Lecque. The fact that we took both of these players would seem to make that less likely which in turn makes it less likely that we are going to be good next year.

Lecque being here next year was always the longest of longshots, and I haven't heard from anyone who knows anything who thinks it's realistic. Hurley took these guys because he has a limited timeframe and they're both good enough to be rotation guys for us. Anyone who thinks this indicates anything about Jalen Adams or anyone else is mistaken.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is not how college basketball works. It's a what have you done for me lately environment. Hurley > Ollie lately. These are the facts.
Absolutely it's a what have you done for me lately environment. That's obvious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You mean when we picked up DO and KW who had little or no discernible basketball skills coming in. I see a big difference as Dan Hurley has a plan with getting big tough guards to come in and play for us. We are going back to being a more guard oriented team and we need depth there. That was something KO never did while at UCONN which totally baffled me considering all the former guards including himself on the staff. KO just threw recruits against the wall and hoped they stuck while Dan Hurley at least has a plan on getting players that buy into his system. I see a big difference so far and hopefully we will start seeing some big recruits in the near future after our image is repaired a little.
Of course Hurley has a plan. We can only surmise it. Results will dictate how we review it.
KO had a plan. Results dictated that some review it as if he didn't have one.

Reaction Score
I think if we actually run some plays instead of dribbling and passing around at the top of the arc only to force a three or a contested layup, we have to be better. And that's not player ability, that's just coaching.
Yup. An average coach would've gotten us 5-6 more wins last year. Hurley is not just above average – he's very good.

We'll protect the 3-point line, we'll force turnovers, we'll get more shots early in the clock going toward the bucket, and we'll generate more open 3s just based upon the guys having a better idea of how to play. If, on top of that, Carlton fills out and Wilson lives up to his billing, we're going to be a very difficult team to play against.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
2- 3. Year process. This year hope we have a team that can be in the top 5 of the American
Yup. An average coach would've gotten us 5-6 more wins last year. Hurley is not just above average – he's very good.

We'll protect the 3-point line, we'll force turnovers, we'll get more shots early in the clock going toward the bucket, and we'll generate more open 3s just based upon the guys having a better idea of how to play. If, on top of that, Carlton fills out and Wilson lives up to his billing, we're going to be a very difficult team to play against.

There was a definite 3-4 more with Tulsa x2, Wichita G1 and Memphis G2.

That alone is a pretty big swing. It's not NCAA big, but still no longer a dumpster fire.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This much I can say: I took two dozen posters off Ignore this morning (from 'both sides' I'll add) and have found the experience neither unpleasant or particularly crazy. Makes for a much easier read too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is where I'm at also. I was very excited about Akinjo, Matthews, and Kisunas. And I'm currently very excited about Adams and Smith.

I believed that we would be in the hunt for the conference title this year with Ollie and an extra year for the entire team + Sid Wilson and new recruits. I now believe that we will be in the hunt for a conference title this year with Hurley + the extra year, Wilson, and recruits.

People come and go. UConn is forever...
So, undefeated?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like these two players, but not sure it's a great sign for us to take both.

Enough with the fretting about "signs". Is the team better with these two guys than without?

Reaction Score
If Adams gets a jumper, 3 point shot, more FTA, and steps up his D we’re going to make a lot of noise
Agree but lot of offensive things he is already Kemba esc. Looked at Kemba numbers improvement 2010 to 2011 and then Jalen 2017 and lot of similar numbers.

Kemba 2010 Kemba 2011 Jalen 2017

Min. per game 35 38 38
Shooting % 40% 43% 43%
3 Pt % 34% 33% 32%
FT % 77% 82% 80%
FT attempts per gm 6 8 3.3
A/T 1.8 2.0 1.6
Pts per gm 14.6 23.5 18.1

My memory is Kemba was WAY better shooter his junior year, stats don't bare that out. He got little better at 2's, took lot more shots and improved a very good FT per game stat to very, very good.
Jalen gets to the line like 2011 Kemba (or even 2010 which is what 2014 Bazz was at) it improves his (and the teams efficiency) a lot. Bazz 2014 had a 41% 3 pt. % which if Jalen approached would be (with more FT's per game) AA 1st team type stuff.
One thing on A/T %, in 2017 Jalen was throwing the ball a lot to TL, Vitale and AA who all had shooting %'s BELOW 40%.
Long way of saying his stats for 2017 were 2011 Kemba type except for getting to the line, he improves just that and he could lead UConn to a good season with any kind of reasonable help (counting on coaching being part of it). He improves his shooting % in any meaningful way also he makes himself a real potential 1st round pick.
After reviewing this, think Jalen should stick around for next year, improve his individual game where he can and most important for him get a lot of playing time where he is the man and is playing in a sensible offense (to show what he can do and to also improve his overall team game).

Reaction Score
Of course Hurley has a plan. We can only surmise it. Results will dictate how we review it.
KO had a plan. Results dictated that some review it as if he didn't have one.
He didn't have a plan when the 3 guys transferred and the guard decommited from us. You mean when he talked about position less basketball when he picked up DO, KW, and Cobb. We loaded up on too many one dimensional big guys who didn't even have any position they could play effectively. I hope that KW and Cobb improve and gain some other skills if they stay but I think he was definitely reaching for a couple of those guys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well it's both like it or not. If we don't have a wing who can handle the ball a little and get to the hole as well as bigs who we don't want to throw the ball to then things will continue to clog.

Sid can do that bit. He's lacking in some areas, but getting buckets is not one of them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

"Hurley apologistas" is a misnomer. Hurley has nothing to apologize for this year.

"KO bashers" have a better argument given track record. KO's last 4 years are in stone. The state of the program is in stone. With KO, it's not a matter of statistics, it's a matter of fact.

What people disagree with is how quick the turnaround should and will be.

Nor would I say Hurley has repeated what KO did. He didn't have multiple years to get ready for this class. He's been trying to fix KO's mistakes. There are only a handful of really good players out there, and every school wants them. Whereas KO had the entire country to choose from. Hurley may end up in a similar spot to KO coming in, but he started out needing a run to tie with 2 outs in the 9th.

I think "trust the process" at this point can be translated to "give Hurley time". Which everyone should.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom