UConn is #1 in the newest coaches poll | The Boneyard

UConn is #1 in the newest coaches poll

Reaction Score

Screenshot (6).png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not surprised at the votes. There is no clear favorite this season. One could say parity has arrived.

There are still those who think UConn is bad for women's basketball.

Reaction Score
if UConn will their remaining games, win the conference tournament are they seeded no1 overall come tournament time even though other teams have harder schedules left?

Reaction Score
Cannot believe there are 15 coaches think UConn is not #1. And two vote South Carolina as #1 even UConn beat South Carolina.

Not all that crazy. Yes, Connecticut won on our own court. But in overtime. And while being out rebounded substantially by South Carolina. And it took a magical game by Paige to do it. Would UConn do the same to SC if the game were held down there? Putting South Carolina at #1 wouldn't be all that crazy.... They're really good.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cannot believe there are 15 coaches think UConn is not #1. And two vote South Carolina as #1 even UConn beat South Carolina.
One has to wonder if these people have watched L'ville play lately? In their last 6 games...
  • Beat unranked Wake Forest by 2
  • Beat unranked Miami by 3
  • Beat UNC by 9 (win looks better than one might think - UNC just beat NC State, but in their last 3 games also lost to Va Tech and a pretty average FSU team)
  • Lost to NC State by 14
  • Thumped BCU by 29
  • Beat unranked ND by 6
The most unimpressive recent results of any top 10 team (an opinion, not a fact). I just don't get the love for L'ville. I DO get the love for Evans - NPOY should come down to Paige vs. Dana. Let's see what unfolds the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
During a season of Covid related cancellations, the number of games played is not a particularly important statistic as far as rankings are concerned.
I don't like the idea of abandoning records and just going with a straight eye test. I believe in rewarding the teams that are playing and winning their games. As for UConn, with as many games as they have in the next three weeks, they should be able to catch up to the teams ahead of them in the win column assuming they take care of business the way we expect.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
View attachment 64436
"Hold on there neighbor..."
So I had a thought last night after hearing Dawn’s bizarre suggestion about Wilson vs Nike basketballs. I started thinking about the scene from Cast Away after Tom Hanks has named a volleyball Wilson, when the ball floats away at sea, and Hanks starts crying out in distress, “Wilson.....”

Hopefully, someone with better technical skills than I can attach that video to this thread.

Reaction Score
They have climbed the mountain. Now we get to see if they can stay up there.

Reaction Score
So I had a thought last night after hearing Dawn’s bizarre suggestion about Wilson vs Nike basketballs. I started thinking about the scene from Cast Away after Tom Hanks has named a volleyball Wilson, when the ball floats away at sea, and Hanks starts crying out in distress, “Wilson.....”

Hopefully, someone with better technical skills than I can attach that video to this thread.
Already done, thanks to @Lynx23. See post #15 here...

Reaction Score

Here you go:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score

I had a sleeve of Wilson golf balls some time ago. When I hit one that clearly was headed to the pond, one of my golf buddies hollard the same "Wilson......". Was funny then and still is when I think about it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season and even during it, didn't think UConn would be ranked #1 at any point of the season. After the Arkansas loss, I was sure of it. But then UConn didn't drop in the AP Poll and maintained their #3 Ranking and that kept the possibility alive. This UConn team is as talented any in the Top 10, but are they the Best Team? I don't think so as they have players that don't show up night after night. Also through no fault of UConn, they haven't played a tough OOC schedule to offset their Conference Schedule. A good win last night and with how this season is going, why not UConn as the #1 Ranked Team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One has to wonder if these people have watched L'ville play lately? In their last 6 games...
  • Beat unranked Wake Forest by 2
  • Beat unranked Miami by 3
  • Beat UNC by 9 (win looks better than one might think - UNC just beat NC State, but in their last 3 games also lost to Va Tech and a pretty average FSU team)
  • Lost to NC State by 14
  • Thumped BCU by 29
  • Beat unranked ND by 6
The most unimpressive recent results of any top 10 team (an opinion, not a fact). I just don't get the love for L'ville. I DO get the love for Evans - NPOY should come down to Paige vs. Dana. Let's see what unfolds the rest of the season.
I'm as big a Louisville fan as there is, and I agree with you 100%.

Louisville would not be within 20 points of UConn or South Carolina right now, IMHO.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not all that crazy. Yes, Connecticut won on our own court. But in overtime. And while being out rebounded substantially by South Carolina. And it took a magical game by Paige to do it. Would UConn do the same to SC if the game were held down there? Putting South Carolina at #1 wouldn't be all that crazy.... They're really good.
No one here on this site believes that SCar isn't really good. I thought before the season they were the best team in the country. But there's a lot of if's here. In any future meeting will UConn again shoot 2-14 from three? Will UConn's 3 freshman have enough experience by then to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor for longer? If AE stays on the floor together with Liv will she have a better performance than the one she had? Will Nika? If that now more seasoned lineup prevails will CW or Evina have better games? By the time they play again will Saylor have a more significant role? To me with so few fans in the stands at these games no game really feels like a home game. Will the inclusion of a significant amount of fans be allowed by then really make it seem like a home game? Which squad then would it juice more? Yeah, UConn won by a narrow margin at home with Paige scoring nearly half their points. Are you saying all things will remain equal if these two team encounter each other again except for the fact that SCar will crack down on Paige insuring a victory? Putting SCar at #1 right now seems to me just crazy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you have a lot of very good teams this year although I don't think anyone is unbeatable based off what I have seen so far. Every top 10 team has had their moments looking impressive and looking vulnerable at times. NCAAT could be very eventful this year. I wouldn't be shocked at a number of teams winning it. Its pretty wide open in my opinion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm as big a Louisville fan as there is, and I agree with you 100%.

Louisville would not be within 20 points of UConn or South Carolina right now, IMHO.
Thank you for saying that - I'm NOT saying we would beat them by that much, but just pointing out that the recent games eye test does not justify voting L'ville #1. I think a lot of voters look back at the MOV of L'ville vs. DePaul, and UCONN vs. DePaul, but that's just a WAG on my part...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom