UConn is #1 in the newest coaches poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn is #1 in the newest coaches poll

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Dawn will still find some ways to raise the banner as a #1 team.
For example, #1 team in State of South Carolina, #1 team has a female coach or #1 team using Wilson ball.
But not the #1 team in the Carolina's

That banner is going up in Reynold's Coliseum.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You forgot to add one, "Is Dee Kantner reffing the game?"
That's because I believe that good teams prevail no matter the refereeing. I've said all of this many times before, but I guess it bears repeating. As a player you know real soon how any particular ref is going to call the game and you are suppose to react and adjust your play accordingly. If you don't that's on you. I don't believe in complaining about refs and you'll never, ever hear me say any ref cost the team the game. A team should be good enough to make the refs irrelevant and overcome any and all "bad" calls.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season and even during it, didn't think UConn would be ranked #1 at any point of the season. After the Arkansas loss, I was sure of it. But then UConn didn't drop in the AP Poll and maintained their #3 Ranking and that kept the possibility alive. This UConn team is as talented any in the Top 10, but are they the Best Team? I don't think so as they have players that don't show up night after night. Also through no fault of UConn, they haven't played a tough OOC schedule to offset their Conference Schedule. A good win last night and with how this season is going, why not UConn as the #1 Ranked Team.
Show me a team that has all its players show up night after night. It does not happen. That is one of the reasons there is such a toss up this season for the NC.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
That's because I believe that good teams prevail no matter the referring. I've said all of this many times before, but I guess it bears repeating. As a player you know real soon how any particular ref is going to call the game and you are suppose to react and adjust your play accordingly. If you don't that's on you. I don't believe in complaining about refs and you'll never, ever hear me say any ref cost the team the game. A team should be good enough to make the refs irrelevant and overcome any and all "bad" calls.
Maybe today but when I was in high school, some refs were blatant about favoring certain teams. It has also happened when NC and Duke men's teams were prominent.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
if the entire tournament is being played in one location perhaps it's not quite as important as in years past........I assume as long as you are in the top four all is good........
The number one seed gets the easiest path to the FF. That is reason enough.

Reaction Score
Not all that crazy. Yes, Connecticut won on our own court. But in overtime. And while being out rebounded substantially by South Carolina. And it took a magical game by Paige to do it. Would UConn do the same to SC if the game were held down there? Putting South Carolina at #1 wouldn't be all that crazy.... They're really good.

An actual loss carries more weight than a hypothetical win.

Reaction Score
Cannot believe there are 15 coaches think UConn is not #1. And two vote South Carolina as #1 even UConn beat South Carolina.
Was this tallied before or after the SC game?

Reaction Score
That's because I believe that good teams prevail no matter the referring. I've said all of this many times before, but I guess it bears repeating. As a player you know real soon how any particular ref is going to call the game and you are suppose to react and adjust your play accordingly. If you don't that's on you. I don't believe in complaining about refs and you'll never, ever hear me say any ref cost the team the game. A team should be good enough to make the refs irrelevant and overcome any and all "bad" calls.
That silver medal that has never been picked up is the only loss I can think of.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
do you think that's always true? The NCAA committee has been known to make some strange brackets......
Since all of the teams are going to be in San Antonio this year. There is no reason for the geography (mileage) or even the S curve which is used because of the mileage.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That silver medal that has never been picked up is the only loss I can think of.
But again, a good team would have never left it to the refs to make that call. A good team would have beaten the Russians by 20 making, again, the ending irrelevant.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
if UConn will their remaining games, win the conference tournament are they seeded no1 overall come tournament time even though other teams have harder schedules left?

Likely yes, but I could see a strong case for Stanford if they win out. They'll have 7 combined wins over UCLA, Oregon and Arizona, and enter the NCAAs on a 14 game win streak.

Realistically though, being overall #1 means next to nothing this year. There is no homecourt advantage in regionals and there isn't a considerable drop off after the top few teams like there is most seasons. Anyone in the top 8 could easily lose in the Sweet 16, and a lot of teams could lose potentially in the first 2 rounds depending on the matchup.

Reaction Score
That's because I believe that good teams prevail no matter the refereeing. I've said all of this many times before, but I guess it bears repeating. As a player you know real soon how any particular ref is going to call the game and you are suppose to react and adjust your play accordingly. If you don't that's on you. I don't believe in complaining about refs and you'll never, ever hear me say any ref cost the team the game. A team should be good enough to make the refs irrelevant and overcome any and all "bad" calls.
Well, if two teams are very evenly matched it seems irrefutable that a few unfair calls could easily have a dramatic effect on the outcome of the game. Check out the famous USA vs Russia game in the olympics where a bad/blatantly wrong call cost us the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But again, a good team would have never left it to the refs to make that call. A good team would have beaten the Russians by 20 making, again, the ending irrelevant.
So, are you saying that a good team should never have a close game?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Can't agree, some calls or calls all game long influence too much to overcome. Putting players/teams in foul trouble. The egregious non foul call at the end of the Mississippi State ND title game as an example

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
That was a game of bad calls against the US, culminating in the final debacle.

Reaction Score
The number one seed gets the easiest path to the FF. That is reason enough.
Not sure there is enough difference in the top 8 teams this year to make a difference. We will see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure there is enough difference in the top 8 teams this year to make a difference. We will see.

Right now, The Creme Bracketology has #2 MD and #3 Arizona in our region. That is not easy by any stretch

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom