UConn is #1 in the newest coaches poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is #1 in the newest coaches poll

Reaction Score
As Geno said in the post game presser, it means nothing. Literally nothing. Some could argue about seeding, but I don't think Geno particularly cares about that either.

Also, UConn is the number one overall seed in Bracketlogy just posted.....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So I had a thought last night after hearing Dawn’s bizarre suggestion about Wilson vs Nike basketballs. I started thinking about the scene from Cast Away after Tom Hanks has named a volleyball Wilson, when the ball floats away at sea, and Hanks starts crying out in distress, “Wilson.....”

Hopefully, someone with better technical skills than I can attach that video to this thread.
Ask.....................and ye shall receive. There are so many technically savvy folks (bbfanLA) here in the yard, it boggles the mind. ?‍?

Reaction Score
So I had a thought last night after hearing Dawn’s bizarre suggestion about Wilson vs Nike basketballs. I started thinking about the scene from Cast Away after Tom Hanks has named a volleyball Wilson, when the ball floats away at sea, and Hanks starts crying out in distress, “Wilson.....”

Hopefully, someone with better technical skills than I can attach that video to this thread.
It's in the POSTGAME: Dawn Staley thread (2+ minutes of happiness....)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No one here on this site believes that SCar isn't really good. I thought before the season they were the best team in the country. But there's a lot of if's here. In any future meeting will UConn again shoot 2-14 from three? Will UConn's 3 freshman have enough experience by then to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor for longer? If AE stays on the floor together with Liv will she have a better performance than the one she had? Will Nika? If that now more seasoned lineup prevails will CW or Evina have better games? By the time they play again will Saylor have a more significant role? To me with so few fans in the stands at these games no game really feels like a home game. Will the inclusion of a significant amount of fans be allowed by then really make it seem like a home game? Which squad then would it juice more? Yeah, UConn won by a narrow margin at home with Paige scoring nearly half their points. Are you saying all things will remain equal if these two team encounter each other again except for the fact that SCar will crack down on Paige insuring a victory? Putting SCar at #1 right now seems to me just crazy.
You forgot to add one, "Is Dee Kantner reffing the game?"

Reaction Score
Ultimately, if UConn holds this spot, it influences the Tournament Selection Committee, with the likely result that UConn earns the #1 overall seed and the easiest path during the Big Dance.
if the entire tournament is being played in one location perhaps it's not quite as important as in years past........I assume as long as you are in the top four all is good........

Reaction Score
it seems that this year it is anyone (at least the top 10 teams) championship to get...in the beginning of the season Louisville looked like the best team, then Stanford looked like the best team, SC looked like the best team, and while UConn does not look like the a team which is much better than any other top team, it is getting better. The Freshmen are gaining valuable experience and Paige embraced the mantra of Geno that she need to shoot more for the team to be better. Another month of games and UConn could be head and shoulders above the other top teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
if the entire tournament is being played in one location perhaps it's not quite as important as in years past........I assume as long as you are in the top four all is good........
Granted. But if it comes down to a FF where UConn faces say Texas A&M vs another battle with SC, I’ll take the Aggies every day of the week. That’s not a knock on A&M, but simply an acknowledgment that SC is a formidable opponent.

Reaction Score
Louisville also has four more wins than UConn as does Texas A&M.
Louisville beat only 2 top 25 teams, #20 DePaul and #23 Syracuse but lost to #1 NC State. And they were #1 in Week 10-11. UConn beat 4 top 25 teams including #1 South Carolina. Now you know who should be #1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One has to wonder if these people have watched L'ville play lately? In their last 6 games...
  • Beat unranked Wake Forest by 2
  • Beat unranked Miami by 3
  • Beat UNC by 9 (win looks better than one might think - UNC just beat NC State, but in their last 3 games also lost to Va Tech and a pretty average FSU team)
  • Lost to NC State by 14
  • Thumped BCU by 29
  • Beat unranked ND by 6
The most unimpressive recent results of any top 10 team (an opinion, not a fact). I just don't get the love for L'ville. I DO get the love for Evans - NPOY should come down to Paige vs. Dana. Let's see what unfolds the rest of the season.
Most of those close L’ville wins you list would have been losses if not for Dana.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Dawn will still find some ways to raise the banner as a #1 team.
For example, #1 team in State of South Carolina, #1 team has a female coach or #1 team using Wilson ball.
That last one is a winner.....

Reaction Score
Ultimately, if UConn holds this spot, it influences the Tournament Selection Committee,
Not really evidence of that. Team sheets do not include AP ranks.

Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of abandoning records and just going with a straight eye test. I believe in rewarding the teams that are playing and winning their games. As for UConn, with as many games as they have in the next three weeks, they should be able to catch up to the teams ahead of them in the win column assuming they take care of business the way we expect.
Wins dont matter.
Quality wins matter. (Along with bad losses.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not really evidence of that. Team sheets do not include AP ranks.
Let me put it another way. If the major polls have UConn as #1 prior to the tournament, it will be very difficult for the selection committee to come up with another justification to place some other team as the #1 overall seed, whether that’s SOS or some other metric.

Reaction Score
Granted. But if it comes down to a FF where UConn faces say Texas A&M vs another battle with SC, I’ll take the Aggies every day of the week. That’s not a knock on A&M, but simply an acknowledgment that SC is a formidable opponent.
very true but one way or another hopefully UConn will be playing two or three very tough teams on their way to the NC game......

Reaction Score
Cannot believe there are 15 coaches think UConn is not #1. And two vote South Carolina as #1 even UConn beat South Carolina.
Home court win probably influenced vote.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom