UConn in the WNBA | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn in the WNBA

Reaction Score
Just looked at the halftime score of the Dallas-Phoenix game. Lou Lopez Senechal hasn’t played a minute. Was hoping we’d get to see her play a little more. Also just noticed the Storm are killing the Mystics and Nika is just getting in with 3:35 left. Got a big ovation from the crowd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just looked at the halftime score of the Dallas-Phoenix game. Lou Lopez Senechal hasn’t played a minute. Was hoping we’d get to see her play a little more. Also just noticed the Storm are killing the Mystics and Nika is just getting in with 3:35 left. Got a big ovation from the crowd.
I can’t understand why they aren’t giving Nika more minutes. With such a huge lead, you’d think they’d want to give the starters a little rest. Melbourne who the Storm cut to keep Nika and Washington picked up, played a lot of minutes. Maybe it may have been better if Nika would have been cut and ended up on Washington.

Reaction Score
I find the Lou Lopez situation completely mystifying especially since they played every single player but her in today's game. Seems like a bad situation, but I am new-ish to the WNBA. I don't understand why they wouldn't give her throw away minutes.

As for Nika, I hope they are just trying to ease her into the game. I noticed they put the other point guard over her as a back up. I couldn't watch the game, but it didn't seem that guard did much beyond 1 assist. Maybe it's a matter of establing the 1-7's starting roles? What's going for Nika, is that she has a strong fan base. If the Storm are smart they'll do what they are doing with Kate Martin. Throw her out there so she can build some experience for when she's needed off the bench later in the season.

Reaction Score
I find the Lou Lopez situation completely mystifying especially since they played every single player but her in today's game. Seems like a bad situation, but I am new-ish to the WNBA. I don't understand why they wouldn't give her throw away minutes.

As for Nika, I hope they are just trying to ease her into the game. I noticed they put the other point guard over her as a back up. I couldn't watch the game, but it didn't seem that guard did much beyond 1 assist. Maybe it's a matter of establing the 1-7's starting roles? What's going for Nika, is that she has a strong fan base. If the Storm are smart they'll do what they are doing with Kate Martin. Throw her out there so she can build some experience for when she's needed off the bench later in the season.
I mean I guess they’re doing to Lou what they do to every rookie. She’s apparently not great on D so she’s a bit of a liability if she’s on an off shooting night?

Nika is probably just trying to get more used to the feel of the game. She’s got hustle and hard work, she should grow in time to a 10-12 minute player. She’s also not limited like Lou is, if she doesn’t shoot well, Nika will put effort into defense

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
325E91F1-B786-422C-B315-F59AEE209B07.jpeg

Reaction Score
After Saturday's game, here are Phee's statistical rankings:

PPG 4th (23.8)

RPG 4th (11.0)

BPG 6th (2.0)

SPG 1st (3.3)

I see another year as a 1st Team All-WNBA player.
I put a 10 dollar bet on her for MVP for fun. +1400. I think she's pretty great.

Reaction Score
I mean I guess they’re doing to Lou what they do to every rookie. She’s apparently not great on D so she’s a bit of a liability if she’s on an off shooting night?

Nika is probably just trying to get more used to the feel of the game. She’s got hustle and hard work, she should grow in time to a 10-12 minute player. She’s also not limited like Lou is, if she doesn’t shoot well, Nika will put effort into defense
True. I was rewatching the Storm game and Nika almost got a steal off on Edwards. She's fun to watch even when her stat line doesn't show it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I put a 10 dollar bet on her for MVP for fun. +1400. I think she's pretty great.
That’s a steal of a deal. If she keeps up a 20/10 average and has Minnesota top 3, I think she has a great shot to win it. Minnesota has zero business being as good as they are and Collier is the biggest reason why they’re playing so well.

Reaction Score
Lou was the only player to not get into the game last night for the Wings. That’s concerning.
wings typically barely play rookies. And Lou is unfortunately a bit of a one trick pony, being purely a 3 point shooter for the most part. If the shot ain’t falling, there’s not much else she can do to impact the floor, her defense reportedly isn’t great.

Reaction Score
And Lou is unfortunately a bit of a one trick pony, being purely a 3 point shooter for the most part. If the shot ain’t falling, there’s not much else she can do to impact the floor, her defense reportedly isn’t great.
This is absolutely not my memory of Lou at UConn. She was very resourceful at all levels. Her defense also improved markedly in the course of the season.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely not my memory of Lou at UConn. She was very resourceful at all levels. Her defense also improved markedly in the course of the season.
According to people who were watching the wings, when I asked why Lou didn’t play more, the responses I got were she was a defensive liability. I’m going off what Wings fans have said so if I’m wrong I’m not surprised.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Lou had a very good mid-range jumper while at UCONN and would drive to the basket when the opportunity presented itself. I thought her defense improved as well. When she played for Zabiny Brno she often looked like the best player on the floor, which wasn't saying that much. It seemed as though the established players were always chucking the ball at the net every time they got it. They didn't exactly share the ball and Lou didn't get nearly as many touches as I thought she should have (but I am biased). I don't know what happened with Jairis (Spanish League), but i don't think she was with them for very long. Of course I don't know what's happening in Dallas either. I don't think they know what they have in Lou, and if she isn't given the opportunity to play through her rookie mistakes (Clark has 10 turnovers in her second game I believe) they'll never find out. It must be very frustrating for her. i think she deserves better than to be the last player off the bench each game when in fact she does leave the bench. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
According to people who were watching the wings, when I asked why Lou didn’t play more, the responses I got were she was a defensive liability. I’m going off what Wings fans have said so if I’m wrong I’m not surprised.
Interesting. So those people who claim Lou is a defensive liability either must attend practice sessions, on the coaching staff, or got some inside intel because Lou has only played the max of 5-7 minutes this season and only played in 3-4 games out of 5. Not a lot to draw a conclusion on about her being a defensive liability.

Also, Dallas does not have any lockdown defenders out there. Heck not too many lockdown defenders are in the WNBA. To say that Lou can't play help defense or stay in front of an offensive player is harsh. We all know and saw what Lou can do offensively and defensively at Fairfield and at UConn.

Reaction Score
Interesting. So those people who claim Lou is a defensive liability either must attend practice sessions, on the coaching staff, or got some inside intel because Lou has only played the max of 5-7 minutes this season and only played in 3-4 games out of 5. Not a lot to draw a conclusion on about her being a defensive liability.

Also, Dallas does not have any lockdown defenders out there. Heck not too many lockdown defenders are in the WNBA. To say that Lou can't play help defense or stay in front of an offensive player is harsh. We all know and saw what Lou can do offensively and defensively at Fairfield and at UConn.
I'm not agreeing with the Wings' fans analysis, I think they should've thrown her out there the night they shot 2-16. They can't possibly expect someone to get in rhythm after 2 minutes of being out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom