UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
you're referring to the 90s when the league had HOF/high level All Star centers that had back to the basket games and/or could shoot mid-range jumpers, neither of which Drummond can do? I've seen Kevon Looney with 2 reconstructed hips be able to defend the pick and roll, but an athletic freak like Drummond can't be expected to do it "because he's in the wrong era"? When Drummond was the top recruit in his original class and had mixtapes racking up crazy views I think most basketball fans would have expected him to make more than 2 AS appearances and 1 3rd NBA selection. obviously his career is better than the majority of NBA players to ever live or any of us posting away on a message board, but I think going back to HS and projecting him I think most would have expected even more than that.

I don't think any of us expected Andre to get cut by a team because it couldn't even get a second rounder for him.

He's got immense talent and he's one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history but his inability to improve his game has very disappointing.

Reaction Score
I mean, there’s a ton of examples of bigs who were ~top 5 in their class that didn’t have half the career he has had. Off top Jahlil Okafor, Skal, Sullinger, Nerlens, etc. It’s very hit or miss, especially those in that transitional period where analytics and versatility became king.
...and I bet UConn fans would call J. Okafor and Nerlens disappointments or they didn't live up to expectation because they went to Duke and UK but since it's Drummond it's sacrilegious to say so. Drummond's career is better than all those guys by miles but it still isn't what many expected to be when projecting him in HS. I guess next time Drummond comes up I'll just post "wrong era" and leave it be.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I mean, there’s a ton of examples of bigs who were ~top 5 in their class that didn’t have half the career he has had. Off top Jahlil Okafor, Skal, Sullinger, Nerlens, etc. It’s very hit or miss, especially those in that transitional period where analytics and versatility became king.

I don't think anybody's saying he's a bust like those guys are. He's a legit NBA player with one plus-plus skill. But when he made those All-Star teams, did you think he'd be a reserve while still healthy and his prime?

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody's saying he's a bust like those guys are. He's a legit NBA player with one plus-plus skill. But when he made those All-Star teams, did you think he'd be a reserve while still healthy and his prime?
It didn’t really pop into my mind, but I was certainly aware that his game was being pushed out. The Pistons never did much with him, and he is unable to be a top 2 option. His downward trajectory definitely came earlier than I thought it would though.

I’m a huge fan and obviously biased, but I still think he has a level he can reach where he can be an extremely valuable backup to a winning team.

Reaction Score
...and I bet UConn fans would call J. Okafor and Nerlens disappointments or they didn't live up to expectation because they went to Duke and UK but since it's Drummond it's sacrilegious to say so. Drummond's career is better than all those guys by miles but it still isn't what many expected to be when projecting him in HS. I guess next time Drummond comes up I'll just post "wrong era" and leave it be.
I don’t necessarily disagree, just saying those type of guys got phased out so quickly because the direction the league went. It’s almost a testament to Andre that he produced and has stuck around in a time where his player type has almost 0 value.

Reaction Score
I don’t necessarily disagree, just saying those type of guys got phased out so quickly because the direction the league went. It’s almost a testament to Andre that he produced and has stuck around in a time where his player type has almost 0 value.
but that's what I am and others are saying, Drummond's value would go up as a player if he could do other things besides just rebound. He doesn't have to shoot 3s like KAT, just be a better defender and finisher inside/lob threat and he could still be a 30+mpg guy in the league. Defense and finishing inside shouldn't be skills that are beyond him.

Reaction Score
but that's what I am and others are saying, Drummond's value would go up as a player if he could do other things besides just rebound. He doesn't have to shoot 3s like KAT, just be a better defender and finisher inside/lob threat and he could still be a 30+mpg guy in the league.
Well, yes. But he’s never had that so it’s pointless to hope for. He switches onto guards well when focused and gets a ton of steals/deflections relative to the time he plays. That’s about all we can ask at this point.

Reaction Score
Wilt was a tremendous athlete. He was on the track team in college and set impressive marks in the 100m, triple jump, high jump and Shot put, and is in the Volleyball Hall of fame. Wilt would be a great player in any era, imo. I'm pretty sure he lead the league in assists one year as a center.
He did, lead the league in total assists but not per game. GOAT !

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
but that's what I am and others are saying, Drummond's value would go up as a player if he could do other things besides just rebound. He doesn't have to shoot 3s like KAT, just be a better defender and finisher inside/lob threat and he could still be a 30+mpg guy in the league. Defense and finishing inside shouldn't be skills that are beyond him.
Yeah there’s no reason he couldn’t be a Jarrett Allen or Mitchell Robinson who’s been playing great on the Knicks recently.

You can see from his AAU tapes though that he always had a fascination with wanting to play more like a guard rather than learning actual big man skills.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
you're referring to the 90s when the league had HOF/high level All Star centers that had back to the basket games and/or could shoot mid-range jumpers, neither of which Drummond can do? I've seen Kevon Looney with 2 reconstructed hips be able to defend the pick and roll, but an athletic freak like Drummond can't be expected to do it "because he's in the wrong era"? When Drummond was the top recruit in his original class and had mixtapes racking up crazy views I think most basketball fans would have expected him to make more than 2 AS appearances and 1 3rd NBA selection. obviously his career is better than the majority of NBA players to ever live or any of us posting away on a message board, but I think going back to HS and projecting him I think most would have expected even more than that.

My point is that the game has evolved in a fashion where Drummond's raw statistics aren't as valued as they once were and his weaknesses are more glaringly exposed via what is more highly emphasized today.

It's not that if you'd pluck Drummond and put him on a roster in 1996 that he'd magically become a better player, but he would be perceived as a better player if that makes sense.

Reaction Score
First off, who's expectations didn't he live up to? He's made two All Star teams and nearly $150M in the league.

You really don't think his career would have played out a lot differently in the 90s than today? That really makes no sense to you?
I think he would've been better in the 90's because of style of play but I'm not sure how much better. There were great back to the basket centers back then and I doubt Drummond would've been able to handle any of them.

Drummond should've been like Rodman, a coveted player in any generation. He's that level of rebounder on both ends, one of the best rebounders ever but he has never been even close to there on defense. With his size, quicks, strength, athleticism he should've been somewhat close to Rodman defensively and he wasn't in the same stratosphere as him on that end.

Reaction Score
I think he would've been better in the 90's because of style of play but I'm not sure how much better. There were great back to the basket centers back then and I doubt Drummond would've been able to handle any of them.

Drummond should've been like Rodman, a coveted player in any generation. He's that level of rebounder on both ends, one of the best rebounders ever but he has never been even close to there on defense. With his size, quicks, strength, athleticism he should've been somewhat close to Rodman defensively and he wasn't in the same stratosphere as him on that end.
When Dre no longer had Ben Wallace to coach his position, he stopped making progress and regressed. Ben was a great coach for Dre.

Reaction Score

Drummond had all the natural ability ofna HOF'er but not the ability to learn. I doubt he is bad at defense because of a lack of effort. He just can't process the game the way he can rebounding.

Reaction Score
You know the man, chief. Does he have any individual initiative at all?
Great guy and wonderful mom. Would I wish he had a permanent Ben Wallace coach/mentor in his life - Yes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Great guy and wonderful mom. Would I wish he had a permanent Ben Wallace coach/mentor in his life - Yes.
Yeah he’s probably the nicest, most loyal kind of person. But he can also be a goofball to the point I can see why someone serious like Ben would be needed in his life.

Reaction Score
Yeah he’s probably the nicest, most loyal kind of person. But he can also be a goofball to the point I can see why someone serious like Ben would be needed in his life.
Andre and Emeka are two of the nicest great rebounders ever. Usually it helps to have a little anger edge to be a great rebounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom