UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jackson got 12 mins today was 2/3 and 0/1 from three. Solid minutes overall.

Bouknight did not play

Drummond did and was well Drummond.
Unfortunately Andre had to leave the game with back stiffness. Hopefully it won't be an ongoing issue.

Reaction Score
Assuming ESPN is correct. In 14 minutes Drummond put up 12 shots and had 16 rebounds, (11 offensive). I'm not sure I've ever seen a line like that in 14 min.
Drummond an offensive rebounding machine.

He is playing in the wrong era with the wrong rules. He is, statistically, the best rebounder of this generation.

He just struggles defensively, and his FT shooting makes him unplayable late in games.

Reaction Score

He is playing in the wrong era with the wrong rules. He is, statistically, the best rebounder of this generation.

He just struggles defensively, and his FT shooting makes him unplayable late in games.
I will never understand how this became the go-to Boneyard line to explain why Drummond's career didn't live up to expectations. It's like one person said it and it was agreed that it would be the company line despite it not making sense. Not every center plays the same in the league, you can impact winning and be positive on the floor in multiple ways. The Lakers stint highlighted why Drummond has bounced around and had limited minutes since his early Pistons run.

Reaction Score
I will never understand how this became the go-to Boneyard line to explain why Drummond's career didn't live up to expectations. It's like one person said it and it was agreed that it would be the company line despite it not making sense. Not every center plays the same in the league, you can impact winning and be positive on the floor in multiple ways. The Lakers stint highlighted why Drummond has bounced around and had limited minutes since his early Pistons run.
Drummond can’t guard PnR. The 3-point shooting has rendered him useless defensively. Drummond continues to be a stellar rebounder, but he just can’t defend at a high level or hit free throws

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Drummond can’t guard PnR. The 3-point shooting has rendered him useless defensively. Drummond continues to be a stellar rebounder, but he just can’t defend at a high level or hit free throws
So how would Wilt do today?

Reaction Score
Some of our beloved Casual Fans will view that play as Dre going 1-4. Chief sees it as a great effort on the boards. A man against boys.
Many of us see it as both.

Reaction Score
Many of us see it as both.
I honestly think a lot of the tapping is to get in better position for a true rebound. He has such quick 2nd/3rd/4th jumps compared to pretty much everyone else.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

First off, who's expectations didn't he live up to? He's made two All Star teams and nearly $150M in the league.

You really don't think his career would have played out a lot differently in the 90s than today? That really makes no sense to you?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
First off, who's expectations didn't he live up to? He's made two All Star teams and nearly $150M in the league.

You really don't think his career would have played out a lot differently in the 90s than today? That really makes no sense to you?
No because his issue isn’t that he doesn’t shoot threes.

There are plenty of centers thriving in today’s game that don’t take a shot outside of 5’. Andre’s problem may actually be that he never fully embraced that.

Reaction Score
Drummond in 90s would have played agaisnt back to basket centers where his size and strength would have helped. Game was more physical back then.

He would also not be expected to guard on the perimeter.

Also, Drummond is one of the poorest offensive players in the nba. He just doesn’t have shooting skill or touch around the basket.

Physical beast. Made his money and has had a terrific career. He is useful players, but he is a very inefficient offensive player.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I watched most of the game last night. Drummond had a bunch of tips at the basket which I believe count as shots and rebounds. Zach Levine is injured(will be traded somewhere in January and has most likely played his last game for the Bulls) and the Bulls are like a different team without him. They had a 4 game winning street and almost stole one from the Bucks on the road last night. Drummond has seen his minutes expand during this stretch. The Bulls have been playing better and AD is doing his thing. They were very stagnant with Levine and Derozan taking turns going one on one. Now there's more ball movement and Coby White has been playing lights out.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

The stats also show he's an atrocious finisher. I was just looking at an article that linked to a chart showing that in 2020-21, he was literally LAST in the NBA in FG% in the restricted area among guys with 200+ attempts. When all you do is dunk, your career FG% should be a lot higher than 54%.

He just never developed an offensive game.

He's a world class rebounder, but that's just not enough.

Poe

Reaction Score
Andre is going to have some pretty impressive total stats for a “bust” or underperformer when all is said and done if he sticks around for another 5 plus years. He’s only 30.

He’s already 41st all time in total rebounds, 15th in offensive rebounds, 87th in blocks, and 160th in steals.

Reaction Score

you're referring to the 90s when the league had HOF/high level All Star centers that had back to the basket games and/or could shoot mid-range jumpers, neither of which Drummond can do? I've seen Kevon Looney with 2 reconstructed hips be able to defend the pick and roll, but an athletic freak like Drummond can't be expected to do it "because he's in the wrong era"? When Drummond was the top recruit in his original class and had mixtapes racking up crazy views I think most basketball fans would have expected him to make more than 2 AS appearances and 1 3rd NBA selection. obviously his career is better than the majority of NBA players to ever live or any of us posting away on a message board, but I think going back to HS and projecting him I think most would have expected even more than that.

Reaction Score
you're referring to the 90s when the league had HOF/high level All Star centers that had back to the basket games and/or could shoot mid-range jumpers, neither of which Drummond can do? I've seen Kevon Looney with 2 reconstructed hips be able to defend the pick and roll, but an athletic freak like Drummond can't be expected to do it "because he's in the wrong era"? When Drummond was the top recruit in his original class and had mixtapes racking up crazy views I think most basketball fans would have expected him to make more than 2 AS appearances and 1 3rd NBA selection. obviously his career is better than the majority of NBA players or any of us posting away on a message board, but I think going back to HS and projecting him I think most would have expected even more than that.
I mean, there’s a ton of examples of bigs who were ~top 5 in their class that didn’t have half the career he has had. Off top Jahlil Okafor, Skal, Sullinger, Nerlens, etc. It’s very hit or miss, especially those in that transitional period where analytics and versatility became king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom