Men - UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Men UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Crazy busy weekend with a 3 day golf tournament, bday party for a one year old and a baptism. So I thank everyone here for your updates.
Wow, 2 great wins. Pitching and defense was outstanding. We are 24-7 in last 31 games, with that blip in BE tournament. Love this team.
I would have taken two wins in this regional in a heartbeat, and considered the season a success. Now want one more win badly.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
1) Riding great starting pitching (A+) and defense (A+) with just enough offense to win both games. We knew the sp was set up much better than last year but the 2 performances so far have exceeded expectations. Tammaro led the defense Friday, Dalena last night. Thought Dalena's ABs were better last night although had nothing to show for it.

2) Needed to get Luke involved in the offense and it happened. That HR reminded me of the UCLA game back in March which gave them breathing room in that win.

3) 4-0 in the 8th I have no issue with bringing Squigs back (1-0 different story although I think he was going back out regardless). He gives up the HR and a long fly ball and they get out of it. The issue was the 9th which Penders acknowledged in post-game. Played with fire and got away with it. The upside to this? I assume Afthim is available tonight for at least 1. Also assume Quinn will be available.

4) Tonight will once again ride on the starting pitching with Coe. Pick your poison, but I would prefer to play Duke tonight for 2 reasons: 1) I think Coe matches up better with Duke (changes speeds against a good fb hitting team) and 2) no home crowd. But I have no say in the matter so it's moot. For those who were around for the Maryland regional 2 years ago, the last one is the toughest to get. Obviously hoping for a long high-scoring grinding game with Duke/OU this afternoon.

5) Obviously want to win badly tonight and end it. However, have Van Emon waiting in the wings on Monday if needed. You have Coe and Van Emon who have shown they can shut down quality offenses at points this season (Coe - UC Irvine) and Van Emon (UCSB). Not having an auto bullpen game in a regional is a massive plus.

As always we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) Riding great starting pitching (A+) and defense (A+) with just enough offense to win both games. We knew the sp was set up much better than last year but the 2 performances so far have exceeded expectations. Tammaro led the defense Friday, Dalena last night. Thought Dalena's ABs were better last night although had nothing to show for it.

2) Needed to get Luke involved in the offense and it happened. That HR reminded me of the UCLA game back in March which gave them breathing room in that win.

3) 4-0 in the 8th I have no issue with bringing Squigs back (1-0 different story although I think he was going back out regardless). He gives up the HR and a long fly ball and they get out of it. The issue was the 9th which Penders acknowledged in post-game. Played with fire and got away with it. The upside to this? I assume Afthim is available tonight for at least 1. Also assume Quinn will be available.

4) Tonight will once again ride on the starting pitching with Coe. Pick your poison, but I would prefer to play Duke tonight for 2 reasons: 1) I think Coe matches up better with Duke (changes speeds against a good fb hitting team) and 2) no home crowd. But I have no say in the matter so it's moot. For those who were around for the Maryland regional 2 years ago, the last one is the toughest to get. Obviously hoping for a long high-scoring grinding game with Duke/OU this afternoon.

5) Obviously want to win badly tonight and end it. However, have Van Emon waiting in the wings on Monday if needed. You have Coe and Van Emon who have shown they can shut down quality offenses at points this season (Coe - UC Irvine) and Van Emon (UCSB). Not having an auto bullpen game in a regional is a massive plus.

As always we'll see what happens.
UC Irvine was Schild, right? Still, your point stands

Reaction Score
I'm guessing if Garbo is ready he will be back behind the plate. I have to say though that I really like Hyde's leadership. He's like their cheerleader and vocal leader that I feel has been missing this year. After every pitch he is talking to the pitchers and encouraging them. I feel like you can't underestimate the importance of that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quigley said he utilized a changeup he hadn’t really used all season as well as a fastball on the inside part of the plate when his MO this year has been fastball away. “They probably weren’t even looking that way,” Quigley said. “They were probably sharing information like, ‘This isn’t what we were told in the hitters’ meeting.’ … I think that’s what had them off their timing.”
:D

Reaction Score
Crazy busy weekend with a 3 day golf tournament, bday party for a one year old and a baptism. So I thank everyone here for your updates.
Wow, 2 great wins. Pitching and defense was outstanding. We are 24-7 in last 31 games, with that blip in BE tournament. Love this team.
I would have taken two wins in this regional in a heartbeat, and considered the season a success. Now want one more win badly.

Go Huskies!!!
Sometimes you just gotta take on for the team and a 3 day golf tournament is a sacrifice you’re just gonna have to make. If you are in the NE my god the weather couldn’t have been better

Reaction Score
Quigley said he utilized a changeup he hadn’t really used all season as well as a fastball on the inside part of the plate when his MO this year has been fastball away. “They probably weren’t even looking that way,” Quigley said. “They were probably sharing information like, ‘This isn’t what we were told in the hitters’ meeting.’ … I think that’s what had them off their timing.”
:D
Pitch in to win

Reaction Score
That’s far less surprising than that someone would admit to watching it.
I have friends in Australia and New Zealand who got me into it. A lot of games are on ESPN+ so I watch when I can.

Reaction Score
Well, I think it is safe to say that UConn baseball has showed that it belongs in the Tournament this season, regardless of what happens in the regional finals. 6 straight years of being in the Tournament is something to be proud of.

Seems to me that over the years with Coach Penders at the helm, starting pitching has been the main strength of the team season after season, and the starting pitching on this particular is really doing the job in this regional so far, just hope it continues.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing if Garbo is ready he will be back behind the plate. I have to say though that I really like Hyde's leadership. He's like their cheerleader and vocal leader that I feel has been missing this year. After every pitch he is talking to the pitchers and encouraging them. I feel like you can't underestimate the importance of that.
I think u stick with Hyde. Where stats will never factor into it nor should they. Nothing against Garbo but the chemistry with Hyde this weekend is working, don’t change it. PH appearance is different, and if they advance back to Garbo.

Reaction Score

-> The Huskies are getting the job done with an older, experience roster that has been together for quite some time. Saturday’s offense hero, Broadhurst, is already 25-years old and was one of four graduate students in the starting lineup. There were also two seniors, two redshirt juniors, one junior, one sophomore and a freshman.

“I got a bunch of guys that can rent cars without their parents’ signatures,” Penders said lightheartedly about his older roster. “It’s awesome, because you’re coaching men. We’re going to go back to the hotel and it’s like, ‘I don’t have to tell them to get in bed.’ It’s very different than when I initially got this job but it’s been extremely satisfying.” <-

-> UConn has now won 23 of their last 29 games, improving to 35-23 overall on the year. They need just one more win in Norman to advance to the super regional round, something they’ve done twice during Penders’ tenure as head coach, in 2011 and 2022.

“I’m excited to play for a championship tomorrow with these guys in our dugout,” Penders said. “We’ve earned that opportunity and that right in a very tough environment.” <-

Reaction Score
A couple of wins and a total of 4 pitchers used. Not bad at all.

Coe on the mound is similar to having Peterson going in 22’. I think it’s fair to say Peterson had his worst game as a husky that day and it didn’t work out, unfortunately. I’m confident in Coe tonight. The 230 plus innings by the weekend staff aren’t simply volume and health, there’s a reason they got those innings and I think it’s the difference to date. It is true, the clinching win is always the toughest. I think they’ll get it, and as unlikely as it appeared throughout, they put themselves in a great position and room for error they’ve earned.

Reaction Score
I think u stick with Hyde. Where stats will never factor into it nor should they. Nothing against Garbo but the chemistry with Hyde this weekend is working, don’t change it. PH appearance is different, and if they advance back to Garbo.
You bring up a really interesting decision Penders is facing assuming Garbo is healthy. Mojo or analytics? Surprised I'm typing this but I'm ok with both options. Brain says Garbo, heart says Hyde.

Reaction Score
I agree that Hyde is doing a great job. No way he is catching 3 (or 4) days in a row unless Garbo isn’t 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom