UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger

Reaction Score
I don't know where Saylor is from but Sam Brunnell is N.Central VA lady---the cold here is not far from the cold in CT---Today. The weather should not be turn-off. I'm keeping my eyes crossed Sam becomes a Geno believer--if Saylor is a Stewie type, then she will know there is ONLY one school for Stewie and Saylor.
Saylor Poffenbarger attends Middletown High School in central Maryland between Frederick and Hagerstown. She will be used to cold weather, trust me.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sue Bird and Keirsten Walters were part of the incoming 1998 group. Sue was ranked as low as #20 for political reasons. We all know that she became arguably the best PG ever over her career. Keirsten was ranked very highly, but her career was cut very short by injuries. I think Paige can be a combo guard or even a wing. Just think of Sue and Diana in the same backcourt. That has worked rather well (massive understatement). ;)
Milford, would you be willing to elaborate on that? I've never heard this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, would you be willing to elaborate on that? I've never heard this.
Others know the story more accurately than I. As I recall, Sue was on a competing AAU team or refused to join the AAU team of the person behind one of the rating services. It may have been Blue Star, but I'm not certain. In any case, that service rated her noticeably lower than the other services, not that there were as many services back then as there are now. I'm pretty sure that service rated her #20, though everyone knew she was a top 10 player. I believe that Tamika Williams was #1, Swin Cash was #2, and Asjha Jones was #4 or so.

Rating services are imperfect and reflect inherent human biases. Some kids are overrated; some are underrated. Sue was underrated, and there are frequent jokes about it on the BY. A couple of others who were grossly underrated, possibly because they were under the radar or were late bloomers were Angel McCoughtry and Alana Beard. My memory fails me, but I think they were rated roughly #50 and #40, respectively. When they came out of college, they were top 2 or so.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Others know the story more accurately than I. As I recall, Sue was on a competing AAU team or refused to join the AAU team of the person behind one of the rating services. It may have been Blue Star, but I'm not certain. In any case, that service rated her noticeably lower than the other services, not that there were as many services back then as there are now. I'm pretty sure that service rated her #20, though everyone knew she was a top 10 player. I believe that Tamika Williams was #1, Swin Cash was #2, and Asjha Jones was #4 or so.

Rating services are imperfect and reflect inherent human biases. Some kids are overrated; some are underrated. Sue was underrated, and there are frequent jokes about it on the BY. A couple of others who were grossly underrated, possibly because they were under the radar or were late bloomers were Angel McCoughtry and Alana Beard. My memory fails me, but I think they were rated roughly #50 and #40, respectively. When they came out of college, they were top 2 or so.
Thanks a lot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

BlueStar that year 97-98 was
1. Tamika Williams
2. Swin Cash
5. Asjha Jones
13. Keirsten Walters
18. Suzanne Bird

Alana Beard was #30 in 99-2000

Not sure about Angel. I believe she graduated HS in 2004, but then spent a year getting NCAA Div 1 qualified before she went to Louisville. I don't have the 2004 Blue Star rankings.

Reaction Score
You folks talking about dealing with the aging process have been nothing short of inspirational. Thank you - and MANY Happy New Years to all Yarders, regardless of age.

Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger attends Middletown High School in central Maryland between Frederick and Hagerstown. She will be used to cold weather, trust me.
Know the area . The VA hospital I frequent is in Martinsburg WVa, stop in Hagerstown regularly.
If she is there today---she is feeling REAL cold. Thanks for the information--Thank you

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Would you have had Geno turn down Dt, Gabby, KML, KLS, ---he was just trying to save them if Calif slides in to the pacific. Uconn is always looking out for "others", especially WBB players. I believe Geno needs to SAVE all the great WBB players he can..

I can be reasonable. I'm not asking Geno to stay out of California. EVERYBODY recruits in California. But Oregon and Washington don't produce very many top 10 or top 5 recruits. Maybe Geno can just pretend like he didn't notice that part of the country existed (although that would be difficult after playing a game in Eugene this year, and in Seattle about 15 years ago).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When I coached high school as an asst at the time. I also coached a 7th grade travel team in the middle 90s. Before season started I had a meeting with parents and my players about parents coaching from the stands or anytime they were with me. If it happened that kid would not play! I played two thirds of my schedule against older teams. There is 3 high schools in town and basically we ran alot of the same plays offense and defense. Which we learned from watching some of it at Uconn practices! At halftime we were down 10 and my team was not handling the press well because they were doing a lousy job with our press breakers with to much dribbling. My leading scorers father started to tell her to dribble through the press right before the 2nd half started. So I took her aside and before I said anything to her, She knew her night was done. During a timeout my pg came to me and said that player was on bench saying I hate my f@#$ing father! I sat with her and told her It wasnt her I was dissapointed with and calmed her down. We lost the game and after her father (who never played or coached ) started ranting about his daughter not playing. I just said you know the rules. He left his daughter there 25 miles from home. With 3 months left in season this players father didnt bring her to anything! We ended up winning the Boys & Girls Club State Championship! Then we played New Hampshire for the New England Championship At Brandeis University. With 9 seconds left and a tie game at 40 and our ball. They played man to man. During our timeout I put his daughter in the far corner, my 2 post opposite side elbow and block with my pg receiving the inbounds at half court. at 6 seconds my post on the elbow started sliding towards the block at that time my player in the far corner watched that post move down and then cut towards them. Right after she cut between them. My big girls stood shoulder to shoulder and sealed off the girl guarding her and the 2 guarding them! She received the ball 15 ft.away and it hit nothing but net as time expired to win the NEC! After the game this father came up to me an apoligized and congratulated me on the game and final play. I told him thank you for today but save your apology for your daughter! All 12 of my kids played 4 years of high school and all were ahead of the other freshmen at there schools. This was one of the worst parents I dealt with in my coaching career!

Those types of parents are EVERYWHERE, and at ALL levels, across various sports i.e., softball volleyball, soccer, etc. The coaches at my granddaughter's high school pretty much have a similar policy. It seems to work pretty good, because the parents know, the coaches mean what they say. You coach from the stands, your kid gets benched, period!!!

Every year
BEFORE the start of official practice, the coaches from the 3 levels have a group parent/player Q&A meeting in the gym, where the rules and regs and the zero tolerance policy is explained to them. The parents also receive at copy of these rules in writing for future reference. After 1-2 incidents at the beginning of the season, causing a player to be removed from the game (there's always that 1 parent that has to test the coach/policy), the coaching from the stands usually ceases. When a player is pulled, it's for the remainder of the game. I can understand the player's fury and frustration at being benched for no fault of her own. It's not a pretty sight or situation. The player and parent are usually pissed and embarrassed. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Illegal.
13.11.1 Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospect's eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1.

13.11.3 Radio/TV Show. A member institution shall not permit a prospect or a highschool, college preparatory school or two-year college coach to appear, be interviewed or otherwise be involved (in person or via film, audio tape or videotape) on: (a) A radio or television program conducted by the institution's coach; (b) A program in which the institution's coach is participating; or (c) A program for which a member of the institution's athletics staff has been instrumental in arranging for the appearance of the prospect or coach or related program material.

This (13.11.3) seems to provide an “out” for print media and the legions of Internet recruiting sites.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This (13.11.3) seems to provide an “out” for print media and the legions of Internet recruiting sites.

13.10.1 Presence of Media During Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. [D] (Adopted: 1/9/96, Revised: 1/14/97, 6/22/11)

Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Those types of parents are EVERYWHERE, and at ALL levels, across various sports i.e., softball volleyball, soccer, etc. The coaches at my granddaughter's high school pretty much have a similar policy. It seems to work pretty good, because the parents know, the coaches mean what they say. You coach from the stands, your kid gets benched, period!!! :mad:

The pushy parent isn’t limited to sports, unfortunately. My wife taught high school Spanish for about forty years. She was many times confronted by parents who cared nothing about established school rules, procedures, or teaching methods. They had another agenda. They adamantly cared that their kid not screw up a possible scholarship (and the resultant revenue savings for themselves). Because they thought grades equalled hard cash, they could be particularly vicious.

It wasn’t unusual for parents here to pull their kid out of school for a week so that the family could vacation together in the tropics. And of course, they demanded that the student be given all assignments in advance AND be allowed to submit assignments late. If necessary, she was expected to do one-on-one remedial lessons to get the kid caught up. Despite the additional teacher workloads this created, these parents were arrogant, self-centered and selfish to the point of absurdity. They railed at my wife, not because she wasn’t a good and dedicated teacher. They were upset with her because Spanish isn’t a subject where parents can readily do the homework for their student-athletes and allow their kid to slide through. It’s the same for teachers of other challenging subjects. If the grade isn’t an “A,” parents leap to question the ability of the teacher, not the ability or attentiveness of their student. It’s a favorite tactic of the “helicopter parent” to show up at the school multiple times every week to argue every last point on every assignment. Their goal is to wear out the teachers’ resolve and thus gain favorable treatment. School principals don’t help the situation much at all.

Here in the Midwest, far too many high schools are headed by men whose main leadership qualification is that they coached (typically unsuccessfully) football or some other sport. They threaten or lean on teachers to extend special treatment to athletes, and they side with the pushy parent out of convenience or political comfort. Their might-makes-right attitudes are not a solution. They are a major part of the problem. The “good ‘ol boys network” is in full force.

I enjoyed teaching at the college level. Under law, I could not discuss most details of a student’s academic progress with parents. I never outright told a parent to “get lost.” But I did make it absolutely clear that I dealt with students, not with parents.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
13.10.1 Presence of Media During Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. [D] (Adopted: 1/9/96, Revised: 1/14/97, 6/22/11)

Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

Right. But 13.11.3 says something different. Read carefully; it’s about radio/TV. That’s the part I was referring to. BTW, thanks for your OP.

Reaction Score
I can be reasonable. I'm not asking Geno to stay out of California. EVERYBODY recruits in California. But Oregon and Washington don't produce very many top 10 or top 5 recruits. Maybe Geno can just pretend like he didn't notice that part of the country existed (although that would be difficult after playing a game in Eugene this year, and in Seattle about 15 years ago).
I'm sure we can get a Summit meeting of the East Coast Coaches and the North West coaches---that is only logical (says an illogical person). Geno I'm sure would agree to ONLY visit High School or Middle Schools (with talent) if they sign a contract saying they don't want to be a Uconn recruit. That's fair, isn't it??
On the down side you can't recruit in Wallingford Ct at any time.
I'm sure the West Virginia Coach would fit in -in Seattle, he is familiar with ridge walking.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The pushy parent isn’t limited to sports, unfortunately. My wife taught high school Spanish for about forty years. She was many times confronted by parents who cared nothing about established school rules, procedures, or teaching methods. They had another agenda. They adamantly cared that their kid not screw up a possible scholarship (and the resultant revenue savings for themselves). Because they thought grades equalled hard cash, they could be particularly vicious.

It wasn’t unusual for parents here to pull their kid out of school for a week so that the family could vacation together in the tropics. And of course, they demanded that the student be given all assignments in advance AND be allowed to submit assignments late. If necessary, she was expected to do one-on-one remedial lessons to get the kid caught up. Despite the additional teacher workloads this created, these parents were arrogant, self-centered and selfish to the point of absurdity. They railed at my wife, not because she wasn’t a good and dedicated teacher. They were upset with her because Spanish isn’t a subject where parents can readily do the homework for their student-athletes and allow their kid to slide through. It’s the same for teachers of other challenging subjects. If the grade isn’t an “A,” parents leap to question the ability of the teacher, not the ability or attentiveness of their student. It’s a favorite tactic of the “helicopter parent” to show up at the school multiple times every week to argue every last point on every assignment. Their goal is to wear out the teachers’ resolve and thus gain favorable treatment. School principals don’t help the situation much at all.

Here in the Midwest, far too many high schools are headed by men whose main leadership qualification is that they coached (typically unsuccessfully) football or some other sport. They threaten or lean on teachers to extend special treatment to athletes, and they side with the pushy parent out of convenience or political comfort. Their might-makes-right attitudes are not a solution. They are a major part of the problem. The “good ‘ol boys network” is in full force.

I enjoyed teaching at the college level. Under law, I could not discuss most details of a student’s academic progress with parents. I never outright told a parent to “get lost.” But I did make it absolutely clear that I dealt with students, not with parents.

Wow, thanks BigBird. An excellent post. I taught for a year after college, then went in another direction career wise. Not long enough to encounter any of the challenges you described here. Thanks for the behind the scenes look at some of the challenges teachers can/may encounter. :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow, thanks BigBird. An excellent post. I taught for a year after college, then went in another direction career wise. Not long enough to encounter any of the challenges you described here. Thanks for the behind the scenes look at some of the challenges teachers can/may encounter. :eek:
For far too many parents, any grade other than an "A" is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
In the early 90’s, I coached a travel basketball team of 7 and 8th grade girls. I had previously coached a lot of these girls in the rec league from when they were third and forth graders, had a great relationship with them, and I put the team together to give them some great competition in the state to prep them for high school. I explained to the parents of the 7th graders that there would be games where their daughters might not play- it wasn’t a rec team where everyone gets a chance. They all agreed, but then turned on me when their daughters didn’t get any time in a competitive game. Then a guy I had coached with and had a great relationship with called me up and chewed me out for favoring another player and not playing his daughter- I am still mortified that I broke down in tears- damn female conditioning- and it still hurts me. I am also a teacher and know about families who pressure the teacher not the kid about grades. It’s only gotten worse. I hope the pendulum swings back to parents holding their own kids accountable for performance- and letting them learn the lesson that life isn’t fair.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm sure we can get a Summit meeting of the East Coast Coaches and the North West coaches---that is only logical (says an illogical person). Geno I'm sure would agree to ONLY visit High School or Middle Schools (with talent) if they sign a contract saying they don't want to be a Uconn recruit. That's fair, isn't it??
On the down side you can't recruit in Wallingford Ct at any time.
I'm sure the West Virginia Coach would fit in -in Seattle, he is familiar with ridge walking.

Wallingford is also a neighborhood in Seattle, really close to UW. Also close to the Fremont and Ballard neighborhoods, which some people consider to be the center of the universe. I'm not sure I can risk allowing you a toehold at the edge of the center of the universe on some kind of technicality if you claim rights to all places named Wallingford.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The effort might be better spent trying to box out the Tennessee recruiters. To think that 3 of their 5 starters this year are from Oregon smh.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The effort might be better spent trying to box out the Tennessee recruiters. To think that 3 of their 5 starters this year are from Oregon smh.

An excellent point. My resources are scarce, I can't fight too many fronts at the same time.

All joking aside, yeah there's been a disturbing recent trend of top Oregon talent going to Tennessee, top Washington talent going to Oregon schools, by that migration pattern Hebard should have gone to UW but she skipped right over the State of Washington and landed in Oregon.

Reaction Score
Wallingford is also a neighborhood in Seattle, really close to UW. Also close to the Fremont and Ballard neighborhoods, which some people consider to be the center of the universe. I'm not sure I can risk allowing you a toehold at the edge of the center of the universe on some kind of technicality if you claim rights to all places named Wallingford.
My Grandaughter is a student iat UW. No I specifically said Wallingford , Ct.

Reaction Score
For far too many parents, any grade other than an "A" is unacceptable.
I have seen that first hand. I believe the training they received in sport or anything competitive--everyone gets a trophy mentality. That too roll down to students expecting an A . Student must have the right to show an error in grading but nothing beyond that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom