UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would be elated. I know I'm a broken record but I love her game. Really reminds me of KLS. Great range, stretches the floor, smart, fearless. Off the court a true humanitarian. She really gives a crap about people. Highest of high quality. No matter where she goes I will be a fan and wish the highest success.
Yeah. She's not the shooter Lou is, but she has a tiger's mentality and what looks like the clutch gene. And like most of the young ladies who attend UConn, a really sweet person.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well if they’re taking pictures with Jonathan the Mascot, then the only thing left to do is pick numbers for their UConn jerseys... :)

I would imagine it can be difficult for a potential recruit to attend several UConn games, become familiar with the team and their style of play, the loyal and enthusiastic fans that attend the games, and not fall in love. Other programs don't compare to UConn in many important areas to a recruit, so I can see where they could have a recruit HOOKED at "hello". The more you see a team in person, the better they look, and at some point, you're going to want to be part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Have not see Cardosa play other than on a few videos. She is from TN and I would hate to have her end up wearing orange because I believe she has the potential to be a problem. She has Griner like wing span with the ability to change every shot within 8-10 feet of the lane.

That's okay. The Huskies would have ONO and Brink to match, and with Bueckers and VanLith so much speed in the backcourt that opponents would have a tough time getting across half court. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This training session from five years ago is foretelling. Notice the outfit she's wearing about a minute in.

Yes... but isn't she wearing Oregon gear at the beginning of the video?

Reaction Score
So did Sammy stay with any players tonight, or just attended the game? You think she attended husky blues for New Year's Eve celebration?
Hopefully players. Having Geno and the coaching staff sick not ideal. Wonder if there were any big name alums in stands.

Reaction Score
Hopefully players. Having Geno and the coaching staff sick not ideal. Wonder if there were any big name alums in stands.

I don't know if alums were in the stands but my dad was! I got a text with him taking a picture with the husky dog! I then asked my dad you should of got a picture with baby Bruney instead!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This training session from five years ago is foretelling. Notice the outfit she's wearing about a minute in.

While the basketball skills displayed by an 11 yr old? are amazing, I can’t help but be alarmed at this video. I’ve been around sports all my life. When I was growing up there was LL and other organized sports opportunities with the Y, Pop Warner and so on, but most of the time, it was just a bunch of kids getting together, playing ball and having fun.

Later, when my son got involved in sports my first and only rule was, “Have fun.” My son was involved in many different sports and ultimately became a pretty good college football player. At the time I observed far too many parents who pushed their kids relentlessly at young ages to achieve something they were not capable of, ultimately leading to rebellion by their kids and spoiling the fun of simply playing sports.

Von Lilith may thoroughly enjoy the time spent with who I assume to be her father, and maybe that’s just what’s required nowadays to play Big Time, WBB, but I can’t help being concerned about all the many kids around the country going through similar rigorous training regiments who don’t have the talent or passion to ultimately succeed.

Reaction Score
While the basketball skills displayed by an 11 yr old? are amazing, I can’t help but be alarmed at this video. I’ve been around sports all my life. When I was growing up there was LL and other organized sports opportunities with the Y, Pop Warner and so on, but most of the time, it was just a bunch of kids getting together, playing ball and having fun.

Later, when my son got involved in sports my first and only rule was, “Have fun.” My son was involved in many different sports and ultimately became a pretty good college football player. At the time I observed far too many parents who pushed their kids relentlessly at young ages to achieve something they were not capable of, ultimately leading to rebellion by their kids and spoiling the fun of simply playing sports.

Von Lilith may thoroughly enjoy the time spent with who I assume to be her father, and maybe that’s just what’s required nowadays to play Big Time, WBB, but I can’t help being concerned about all the many kids around the country going through similar rigorous training regiments who don’t have the talent or passion to ultimately succeed.

In this instance I could not agree more--every word is proper.
I come from a era of sand lot everything baseball, football, driveway basketball--can you imagine shoveling snow to play basketball then choosing up skins vs shirts, in winter Ct?? It was done and all was for FUN.
Eventually the town hall was opened for BB evenings.
I often post here about the value of having fun. I value the time spent by kids, as kids. Christine, has been reported to often tell the Uconn kids---play hard , have fun. Smart lady that CD..

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I've always wondered about this regarding young gymnasts (girls). It looks to me that to be an Olympic-caliber performer you have to sacrifice your childhood. I don't think any medal or title is worth that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

It is a changing world in terms of kids athletics and a lot of it is 'unhealthy' including the early specialization that may overdevelop certain traits in a young person's make-up. (There is a reason the concept of 'cross-training' took off for adults.) But ... anything posted like this particular video is an incredibly narrow window into a persons life and so assumptions cannot really be drawn. I am generally pretty impressed by the women who play sports and their well rounded personalities. And I also recognize that those who star in college and beyond are classic 'outliers' who are different from 99% of humanity - just as those who excel in Physics or Mathematics, or any other field.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I completely agree, oldude: the Tiger Woods effect. OTOH, Mozart composed an Andante in C when he was 5, and no one said, it's a shame to push him so much; he should enjoy just being a kid.
I had a music professor in college who said, "Mozart was not one of us." I don't necessarily disagree.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
P.
I've always wondered about this regarding young gymnasts (girls). It looks to me that to be an Olympic-caliber performer you have to sacrifice your childhood. I don't think any medal or title is worth that.
Gymnastics may be the worst sport around when it comes to overbearing parents. Another sport that comes to mind is swimming. Kids 8 years old and under are typically spending hours every day training, often twice a day, with early morning workouts starting at 6am. Parents often have inflated views of their kids ability with the belief that if they just work a little harder, scholarships and championships will be the result.

But my poster child for parental abuse of kids in sports is former USC & Pro QB Todd Marinovich, who’s divorced father quit his job to manage every aspect of his son’s life through HS and even into college, including training, diet and his social calendar. Marinovich was burned out by the time the Oakland Raiders drafted him, his pro career cut short by a combination of drug addiction, legal and financial problems.

The good news is that Marinovich now appears to be a recovering drug addict, living a decent life with his wife and 2 children and providing drug counseling to at risk kids.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So in a few months I hit 73. I was recently told to save a date in 2021. I read here about recruits for 2020 or 2021. I bought a car that included a 100000 mile or ten year warranty. I’m looking for a 10 year warranty on myself. Interesting to read about talent that might be ours in 3 years, but I am really looking forward to the next game and swallowing my daily cache of pills to try and make it at least that far. Happy New Year. Go Huskies. :cool:

Reaction Score
We won't get them all. Also, we don't need them all. If you get 2-4 each year, that's enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom