UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger

Reaction Score
So in a few months I hit 73. I was recently told to save a date in 2021. I read here about recruits for 2020 or 2021. I bought a car that included a 100000 mile or ten year warranty. I’m looking for a 10 year warranty on myself. Interesting to read about talent that might be ours in 3 years, but I am really looking forward to the next game and swallowing my daily cache of pills to try and make it at least that far. Happy New Year. Go Huskies. :cool:
I'm "only" 70, but still loading up on the fabulous 2013 Barolos that will be at peak drinking in 20+ years. Why assume your demise? Personally, I intend to live forever and will modify my plan as the situation warrants.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm "only" 70, but still loading up on the fabulous 2013 Barolos that will be at peak drinking in 20+ years. Why assume your demise? Personally, I intend to live forever and will modify my plan as the situation warrants.
Hey, I’m booking my travel for 2019 as we speak. But, I always buy travel insurance. My family is long lived but I play in traffic.

Reaction Score
While the basketball skills displayed by an 11 yr old? are amazing, I can’t help but be alarmed at this video. I’ve been around sports all my life. When I was growing up there was LL and other organized sports opportunities with the Y, Pop Warner and so on, but most of the time, it was just a bunch of kids getting together, playing ball and having fun.

Later, when my son got involved in sports my first and only rule was, “Have fun.” My son was involved in many different sports and ultimately became a pretty good college football player. At the time I observed far too many parents who pushed their kids relentlessly at young ages to achieve something they were not capable of, ultimately leading to rebellion by their kids and spoiling the fun of simply playing sports.

Von Lilith may thoroughly enjoy the time spent with who I assume to be her father, and maybe that’s just what’s required nowadays to play Big Time, WBB, but I can’t help being concerned about all the many kids around the country going through similar rigorous training regiments who don’t have the talent or passion to ultimately succeed.

since I've been living the life of a basketball dad for the past eight years I can attest to the pushy over reaching parents, the kids that are forced to play virtually twelve months out of the year, and the thousands of dollars and thousands of miles spent on training and travel...........as my daughter reaches her sophomore year, I've observed that no matter what parents want, a good percentage of the kids genuinely love the sport, a smaller but significant percentage are suffering from burnout and just leave the sport and an smaller percentage just grin and bare it.............that said, I haven't met a great player that doesn't love playing the game and the competition............

Reaction Score
As long as the recruits we get each year help UCONN get to the final four and possibly win another NC I'm fine with that!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've always wondered about this regarding young gymnasts (girls). It looks to me that to be an Olympic-caliber performer you have to sacrifice your childhood. I don't think any medal or title is worth that.
Gymnastics for women is the only sport where you are truly over the hill before you are an adult and so I absolutely agree. It is a strange and 'abusive' situation when there are no world class performers age 20. Figure skating is probably the next closest in that respect.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I completely agree, oldude: the Tiger Woods effect. OTOH, Mozart composed an Andante in C when he was 5, and no one said, it's a shame to push him so much; he should enjoy just being a kid.
Hell, he composed his first symphony at 8 and his first opera (!) at 11 or 12 I believe; msf22b, help me out. Nevertheless, the world of music is historically littered with former prodigies who were beaten into mediocrity, the psychologist's chair or the morgue. Yet clearly the prologue and example of those failures never stopped any parent from living out their dreams through their children. From acting to music, the arts, sciences, and sports. For every Mozart there are a thousand Ervin Nyiregyhazi's or Michael Rabin's. Or Todd Marinovich's. Is it horrific? Yes. Will it end? Not as long as Western society worships the arts, sciences, sports and celebrity.

Reaction Score
So in a few months I hit 73. I was recently told to save a date in 2021. I read here about recruits for 2020 or 2021. I bought a car that included a 100000 mile or ten year warranty. I’m looking for a 10 year warranty on myself. Interesting to read about talent that might be ours in 3 years, but I am really looking forward to the next game and swallowing my daily cache of pills to try and make it at least that far. Happy New Year. Go Huskies. :cool:
There are ways - if you can believe doctors and CTDMV. Just got my license renewal, good until 2023 and my cardiologist set my next stress test for 2022 - hope he's still around as I'll be 91.:D

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There are ways - if you can believe doctors and CTDMV. Just got my license renewal, good until 2023 and my cardiologist set my next stress test for 2022 - hope he's still around as I'll be 91.:D
Keep going. I have something to shoot for. Met a guy on a trip to Spain a few years ago. He was 88 at the time and at 93 he’s still traveling. The great sacrifice to age, I had good deep range on my jumper. Now the hoop seems a mile away from the top of the key. But I can still reach a par 3 in two.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I forgot Van Lith. She's on the Most Wanted List.
Two point guards from the same class? Is that Kosher? Has Geno ever gone down that route? Could they co-exist in a Husky backcourt? Chris Paul and James Harden?

Lots of questions but I'm confident you guys (Milford, Sluconn, Coco, et al) have the answers.

Reaction Score
So far, so good!

I bought green bananas today. Staying optimistic.
I'll be 73 this month. My drivers license was just renewed. And I bought milk with an expiration of my birthday. My short term goal is to outlive the milk. And renew my license again 2023...and I still wonder what UConn number will Paige Bueckers wear.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I completely agree, oldude: the Tiger Woods effect. OTOH, Mozart composed an Andante in C when he was 5, and no one said, it's a shame to push him so much; he should enjoy just being a kid.

Talk about the pushy parent living vicariously through his talented son! And yes, Wolfie was one of history's genuine geniuses, but his too short adult life was a mess.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

At age 91 my father-in-law bought a car and insisted on getting the extended warranty, and he was right. He's now 102, with an older sister still breathing, and he watches every Uconn Women's game. I bought an "I'm Not Dead Yet" t-shirt and requested that I be dressed in it for the viewing, but with the "not" crossed out.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In this instance I could not agree more--every word is proper.
I come from a era of sand lot everything baseball, football, driveway basketball--can you imagine shoveling snow to play basketball then choosing up skins vs shirts, in winter Ct?? It was done and all was for FUN.
Eventually the town hall was opened for BB evenings.
I often post here about the value of having fun. I value the time spent by kids, as kids. Christine, has been reported to often tell the Uconn kids---play hard , have fun. Smart lady that CD..
Back then it was all about competing and having fun. Winning was not everything. One did not feel they were a failure if they did not win. There were no grown ups putting pressure on us. It was a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered about this regarding young gymnasts (girls). It looks to me that to be an Olympic-caliber performer you have to sacrifice your childhood. I don't think any medal or title is worth that.
You are right in what you've seen. Way before GIRL sports young girls were giving away their youth. Think of the Ballerina's in making--all started very young. Few made the cut.
For a parent it is a very difficult choice because at times it is the field the child chooses, success is in the distant and "possible", choose sports, professions the end result is if you want a possible success investment is early. I'm not in favor of the choice but I understand the decisions.

Reaction Score
Back then it was all about competing and having fun. Winning was not everything. One did not feel they were a failure if they did not win. There were no grown ups putting pressure on us. It was a lot of fun.
Most Dads and older brothers were trying t0 support our survival, too busy to get involved.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Two point guards from the same class? Is that Kosher? Has Geno ever gone down that route? Could they co-exist in a Husky backcourt? Chris Paul and James Harden?

I just think of Bueckers as a guard and, if she gets bigger, perhaps a point forward. She can play numerous positions at a high level. How would VanLith fare off the ball? I haven't really seen her outside of highlights to know. But her fiery demeanor, defensive competitiveness, and skill level are too great to pass up.

Reaction Score
Smartest decision you ever made---live til you die, but LIVE. The game is all mental--The ART OF POSITIVE THINKING.

Reaction Score
I just think of Bueckers as a guard and, if she gets bigger, perhaps a point forward. She can play numerous positions at a high level. How would VanLith fare off the ball? I haven't really seen her outside of highlights to know. But her fiery demeanor, defensive competitiveness, and skill level are too great to pass up.
Agree. Actually PB didn't play PG on team USA. She was utilized as a SG so she'll work well with a PG with both having the ability to move the ball, pass and score

Reaction Score
I’ll hit 72 this year. Wish I could double like this post!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Lots of questions but I'm confident you guys (Milford, Sluconn, Coco, et al) have the answers.
Sue Bird and Keirsten Walters were part of the incoming 1998 group. Sue was ranked as low as #20 for political reasons. We all know that she became arguably the best PG ever over her career. Keirsten was ranked very highly, but her career was cut very short by injuries. I think Paige can be a combo guard or even a wing. Just think of Sue and Diana in the same backcourt. That has worked rather well (massive understatement). ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom