UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn hosts BRUNELLE and Poffenbarger

Reaction Score
The issue of parenting and pushing one's child is a very complicated issue. There are certainly many examples of overbearing, unrealistic parents. It's not easy or pleasant to watch.
On the other hand children who are gifted in any field whether it be sports or academics, often need to be pushed and challenged, but a great deal has to do with a child's emotional makeup. It seems to me that almost all of the very best players who choose U Conn, have both very significant basketball skills, as well as life skills. They choose to be a part of a system, a culture where they can maximize their bb skills but also learn to be great teammates and are or become well spoken and well behaved adults. There are many female or male stars who don't or can't find that balance and they at best excel in one aspect but their weaknesses in other areas can undermine their successes.
As an aside there are questions about whether two great players can exist and still excel when it seems their skill sets and ability to star overlap. The best example I can think of is when the old NY Knicks who had Walt Clyde Frazier as the point guard and then obtained Earl the Pearl Monroe in a trade. Many questioned how they were going to play with only one ball. It made the Knicks then an even better and then again a championship team. It's what has turned me off to so much of pro and college basketball since. It's what's drawn me to be a U Conn women's bb fan. The manner in which they play together and excel almost all of the time. The manner in which they handled a terrible loss last year with class and without blaming each other and then using it to become better players (especially Katie Lou and CD), and use the experience to focus and push them forward. Already this season they have overcome a few instances of adversity and time will tell if they win another NC.
What is clear though to me, is they will do whatever together, and use the experiences to grow as players, a team and as human beings.
Bronx23

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The issue of parenting and pushing one's child is a very complicated issue. There are certainly many examples of overbearing, unrealistic parents. It's not easy or pleasant to watch.
On the other hand children who are gifted in any field whether it be sports or academics, often need to be pushed and challenged, but a great deal has to do with a child's emotional makeup. It seems to me that almost all of the very best players who choose U Conn, have both very significant basketball skills, as well as life skills. They choose to be a part of a system, a culture where they can maximize their bb skills but also learn to be great teammates and are or become well spoken and well behaved adults. There are many female or male stars who don't or can't find that balance and they at best excel in one aspect but their weaknesses in other areas can undermine their successes.
As an aside there are questions about whether two great players can exist and still excel when it seems their skill sets and ability to star overlap. The best example I can think of is when the old NY Knicks who had Walt Clyde Frazier as the point guard and then obtained Earl the Pearl Monroe in a trade. Many questioned how they were going to play with only one ball. It made the Knicks then an even better and then again a championship team. It's what has turned me off to so much of pro and college basketball since. It's what's drawn me to be a U Conn women's bb fan. The manner in which they play together and excel almost all of the time. The manner in which they handled a terrible loss last year with class and without blaming each other and then using it to become better players (especially Katie Lou and CD), and use the experience to focus and push them forward. Already this season they have overcome a few instances of adversity and time will tell if they win another NC.
What is clear though to me, is they will do whatever together, and use the experiences to grow as players, a team and as human beings.
Bronx23
Enjoyed your post. Welcome to the board.

Yes, how they play the game is where it's at for me.

Reaction Score
Does the sideline reporter ever interview a visiting recruit? Illegal?unethical?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does the sideline reporter ever interview a visiting recruit? Illegal?unethical?
Illegal.
13.11.1 Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospect's eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1.

13.11.3 Radio/TV Show. A member institution shall not permit a prospect or a highschool, college preparatory school or two-year college coach to appear, be interviewed or otherwise be involved (in person or via film, audio tape or videotape) on: (a) A radio or television program conducted by the institution's coach; (b) A program in which the institution's coach is participating; or (c) A program for which a member of the institution's athletics staff has been instrumental in arranging for the appearance of the prospect or coach or related program material.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Sue Bird and Keirsten Walters were part of the incoming 1998 group. Sue was ranked as low as #20 for political reasons. We all know that she became arguably the best PG ever over her career. Keirsten was ranked very highly, but her career was cut very short by injuries. I think Paige can be a combo guard or even a wing. Just think of Sue and Diana in the same backcourt. That has worked rather well (massive understatement). ;)
I was relying on the Hoopgurlz designation of Paige as a PG but what you say makes sense. Kids grow and expand their games. You've convinced me; let's get both of them.

Reaction Score
Illegal.
13.11.1 Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospect's eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1.

13.11.3 Radio/TV Show. A member institution shall not permit a prospect or a highschool, college preparatory school or two-year college coach to appear, be interviewed or otherwise be involved (in person or via film, audio tape or videotape) on: (a) A radio or television program conducted by the institution's coach; (b) A program in which the institution's coach is participating; or (c) A program for which a member of the institution's athletics staff has been instrumental in arranging for the appearance of the prospect or coach or related program material.

Thank u COCO.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
On that "you can't have all the recruits" thing, I'm just trying to protect all of you from the complaints from other fan bases about UConn getting all of the best players. I know you hate that. So just leave Brink and Van Lith alone, you have plenty enough good players east of the Mississippi to choose from.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
On that "you can't have all the recruits" thing, I'm just trying to protect all of you from the complaints from other fan bases about UConn getting all of the best players. I know you hate that. So just leave Brink and Van Lith alone, you have plenty enough good players east of the Mississippi to choose from.

We don't see geography. We just see talent. :cool:

Reaction Score
While the basketball skills displayed by an 11 yr old? are amazing, I can’t help but be alarmed at this video. I’ve been around sports all my life. When I was growing up there was LL and other organized sports opportunities with the Y, Pop Warner and so on, but most of the time, it was just a bunch of kids getting together, playing ball and having fun.

Later, when my son got involved in sports my first and only rule was, “Have fun.” My son was involved in many different sports and ultimately became a pretty good college football player. At the time I observed far too many parents who pushed their kids relentlessly at young ages to achieve something they were not capable of, ultimately leading to rebellion by their kids and spoiling the fun of simply playing sports.

Von Lilith may thoroughly enjoy the time spent with who I assume to be her father, and maybe that’s just what’s required nowadays to play Big Time, WBB, but I can’t help being concerned about all the many kids around the country going through similar rigorous training regiments who don’t have the talent or passion to ultimately succeed.

I was thinking along the same lines except I can remember listening to a pediatrician talk about choosing activities for child athletes that wouldn't overtly stress young bones and connective tissue. He had good examples of things he was seeing more of and if I can ever find the podcast I'll post it here. Kids are not only not adults emotion-wise but physically as well. I wonder if this ever comes up once it becomes apparent a child does have a talent for things like this or if the fame machine kicks in and drowns out other considerations?

Reaction Score
since I've been living the life of a basketball dad for the past eight years I can attest to the pushy over reaching parents, the kids that are forced to play virtually twelve months out of the year, and the thousands of dollars and thousands of miles spent on training and travel......as my daughter reaches her sophomore year, I've observed that no matter what parents want, a good percentage of the kids genuinely love the sport, a smaller but significant percentage are suffering from burnout and just leave the sport and an smaller percentage just grin and bare it...that said, I haven't met a great player that doesn't love playing the game and the competition..
When I coached high school as an asst at the time. I also coached a 7th grade travel team in the middle 90s. Before season started I had a meeting with parents and my players about parents coaching from the stands or anytime they were with me. If it happened that kid would not play! I played two thirds of my schedule against older teams. There is 3 high schools in town and basically we ran alot of the same plays offense and defense. Which we learned from watching some of it at Uconn practices! At halftime we were down 10 and my team was not handling the press well because they were doing a lousy job with our press breakers with to much dribbling. My leading scorers father started to tell her to dribble through the press right before the 2nd half started. So I took her aside and before I said anything to her, She knew her night was done. During a timeout my pg came to me and said that player was on bench saying I hate my f@#$ing father! I sat with her and told her It wasnt her I was dissapointed with and calmed her down. We lost the game and after her father (who never played or coached ) started ranting about his daughter not playing. I just said you know the rules. He left his daughter there 25 miles from home. With 3 months left in season this players father didnt bring her to anything! We ended up winning the Boys & Girls Club State Championship! Then we played New Hampshire for the New England Championship At Brandeis University. With 9 seconds left and a tie game at 40 and our ball. They played man to man. During our timeout I put his daughter in the far corner, my 2 post opposite side elbow and block with my pg receiving the inbounds at half court. at 6 seconds my post on the elbow started sliding towards the block at that time my player in the far corner watched that post move down and then cut towards them. Right after she cut between them. My big girls stood shoulder to shoulder and sealed off the girl guarding her and the 2 guarding them! She received the ball 15 ft.away and it hit nothing but net as time expired to win the NEC! After the game this father came up to me an apoligized and congratulated me on the game and final play. I told him thank you for today but save your apology for your daughter! All 12 of my kids played 4 years of high school and all were ahead of the other freshmen at there schools. This was one of the worst parents I dealt with in my coaching career!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In this instance I could not agree more--every word is proper.
I come from a era of sand lot everything baseball, football, driveway basketball--can you imagine shoveling snow to play basketball then choosing up skins vs shirts, in winter Ct?? It was done and all was for FUN.
Eventually the town hall was opened for BB evenings.
I often post here about the value of having fun. I value the time spent by kids, as kids. Christine, has been reported to often tell the Uconn kids---play hard , have fun. Smart lady that CD..
Unfortunately I could shoot better with mittens than I could without.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just think of Bueckers as a guard and, if she gets bigger, perhaps a point forward. She can play numerous positions at a high level. How would VanLith fare off the ball? I haven't really seen her outside of highlights to know. But her fiery demeanor, defensive competitiveness, and skill level are too great to pass up.

Well, one of the "old guy" versions of guards that controlled the ball playing together were Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe. Worked just fine for the Knicks. "Clyde" was the primary lead guard, but "the Pearl" would spell him and mix things up.

As for growth, as a former long-time travel soccer coach, most of my female players had reached peak height by 8th or 9th grade, so I wouldn't expect too much growth from Bueckers. From the tape I've seen of her, she could play "off guard" easily or -- with an intelligent (basketball-wise) running mate -- they could interchange certain duties at certain points (bringing the ball up court, initiating the half-court offense). Given the offense the Huskies run, I can see this.

(An unintended example of this may be taking place in South Bend the rest of the season depending on the extent of Lili Thompson's injury.):(

With all the talk about the flair of Paige's game and intensity of VanLith, the guard I'm drawn to is Caitlin Clark, who seems to have a number of each player's characteristics, plus a steely resolve and ability to oversee an approach to the game. Macro management with an attention to detail and a bit of flair. I could also see why MM would be interested.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, one of the "old guy" versions of guards that controlled the ball playing together were Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe. Worked just fine for the Knicks. "Clyde" was the primary lead guard, but "the Pearl" would spell him and mix things up.

As for growth, as a former long-time travel soccer coach, most of my female players had reached peak height by 8th or 9th grade, so I wouldn't expect too much growth from Bueckers. From the tape I've seen of her, she could play "off guard" easily or -- with an intelligent (basketball-wise) running mate -- they could interchange certain duties at certain points (bringing the ball up court, initiating the half-court offense). Given the offense the Huskies run, I can see this.

(An unintended example of this may be taking place in South Bend the rest of the season depending on the extent of Lili Thompson's injury.):(

With all the talk about the flair of Paige's game and intensity of VanLith, the guard I'm drawn to is Caitlin Clark, who seems to have a number of each player's characteristics, plus a steely resolve and ability to oversee an approach to the game. Macro management with an attention to detail and a bit of flair. I could also see why MM would be interested.
I enjoyed this one! Your assessment of growth is correct in those you have seen but statically growth (apparently) continues up to at least age 25. Then too there those that for some reason get a growth spurt. . Point is: All 8 th 7th grade kids should expect some continued growth, how much : ask their parents.
Lilli Thompson IS an important player for the success of ND this year. She is a LEADER. Shes the kind of producer on the floor I really don't like to see on opponents teams. Along with the "highly contested transfer" ND has more than a little talent and experience--

Reaction Score
Would you have had Geno turn down Dt, Gabby, KML, KLS, ---he was just trying to save them if Calif slides in to the pacific. Uconn is always looking out for "others", especially WBB players. I believe Geno needs to SAVE all the great WBB players he can..

Reaction Score
When I coached high school as an asst at the time. I also coached a 7th grade travel team in the middle 90s. Before season started I had a meeting with parents and my players about parents coaching from the stands or anytime they were with me. If it happened that kid would not play! I played two thirds of my schedule against older teams. There is 3 high schools in town and basically we ran alot of the same plays offense and defense. Which we learned from watching some of it at Uconn practices! At halftime we were down 10 and my team was not handling the press well because they were doing a lousy job with our press breakers with to much dribbling. My leading scorers father started to tell her to dribble through the press right before the 2nd half started. So I took her aside and before I said anything to her, She knew her night was done. During a timeout my pg came to me and said that player was on bench saying I hate my f@#$ing father! I sat with her and told her It wasnt her I was dissapointed with and calmed her down. We lost the game and after her father (who never played or coached ) started ranting about his daughter not playing. I just said you know the rules. He left his daughter there 25 miles from home. With 3 months left in season this players father didnt bring her to anything! We ended up winning the Boys & Girls Club State Championship! Then we played New Hampshire for the New England Championship At Brandeis University. With 9 seconds left and a tie game at 40 and our ball. They played man to man. During our timeout I put his daughter in the far corner, my 2 post opposite side elbow and block with my pg receiving the inbounds at half court. at 6 seconds my post on the elbow started sliding towards the block at that time my player in the far corner watched that post move down and then cut towards them. Right after she cut between them. My big girls stood shoulder to shoulder and sealed off the girl guarding her and the 2 guarding them! She received the ball 15 ft.away and it hit nothing but net as time expired to win the NEC! After the game this father came up to me an apoligized and congratulated me on the game and final play. I told him thank you for today but save your apology for your daughter! All 12 of my kids played 4 years of high school and all were ahead of the other freshmen at there schools. This was one of the worst parents I dealt with in my coaching career!

All of us who have coached : Little league, Jr League, HS, CYO, AAU--have had the pleasure and advise of parents, some good, some bad. Most intend to HELP, as frustrating for a coach that may be. A parent shouting advice during a game should get no more than a heckler (and they too are omnipresent) face to face I would smile, take the advise; use it or reject it. My kids, I can truthfully say, never knew what an ass I thought the parent was.

Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I enjoyed this one! Your assessment of growth is correct in those you have seen but statically growth (apparently) continues up to at least age 25. Then too there those that for some reason get a growth spurt. . Point is: All 8 th 7th grade kids should expect some continued growth, how much : ask their parents.
Lilli Thompson IS an important player for the success of ND this year. She is a LEADER. Shes the kind of producer on the floor I really don't like to see on opponents teams. Along with the "highly contested transfer" ND has more than a little talent and experience--

In regards to Lili Thompson, it's a shame that she got injured and hope this is not a long-term one. It takes time to get new pieces to fit, but she was finding her role within the ND guard rotation very well. I was impressed with her defense, particularly an ability to read passing lanes and patterns. She would've been a great defensive back -- quick hands and super burst speed. And she's worked well with the trio of Ogunbowale, Mabrey and Young, which probably had/has it challenges, as well as benefits.

As for Shep, she's fit in very well on so many fronts, including playing through some ankle sprains. That decication is appreciated by players and coaches alike, particularly this snake-bit season. This core group is getting smaller in number of players, but hopefully stronger in their mission.

As for the growth issue, I am speaking about height. While I'm sure some kids are going to grow (particularly guys...I added two inches in college) as they get older, I wouldn't count on Paige being a point forward!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As for height, sure some kids are going to grow (particularly guys...I added two inches in college) but I wouldn't count on Paige being a point forward!

Bueckers is basically the same height as Taurasi and Diana more or less became a small forward who played the point often. That's kind of what I see Bueckers possibly becoming.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Everyone is east of the Mississippi, if you go far enough east.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

I don't know about other posters but when I mentioned growth it referred to Paige's game, not her body. That's really where it counts, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom