UConn Hockey 2013-2014 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And away we go...

msumavericks
1:16pm via SIDEARM Sports
Minn State Men's Hockey: 18th-Rated Mavericks Entertain UConn Friday and Saturday
http://msumavericks.com/news/2013/10/16/MHOCKEY_1016131456.aspx

>>On Tap: 18th-rated Minnesota State (0-2-0 overall, 0-0-0 WCHA) continues nonconference action this weekend with the University of Connecticut (0-0-0, 0-0-0 Atlantic Hockey) venturing to Mankato in the first regular-season home action of 2013-14 for the Mavericks. MSU and UConn play at Verizon Wireless Center (4,832) Friday (7:37 p.m.) and Saturday (7:07 p.m.) CST.

About the MSU-UConn Series: The Mavericks stand 3-0 in the all-time series with Connecticut. Minnesota State claimed two wins (8-2 and 3-1) in 1998-99 in a series played in Mankato and also downed the Huskies last year (3-1) in the tournament championship game hosted by UConn in Storrs.

MSU Most Recently: The Mavericks fell twice in season-opening action last weekend in a pair of nonconference games at #14 Providence. After opening with a first-period goal from sophomore forward Bryce Gervais Friday, the Mavericks could not hold off Providence, eventually dropping the 5-1 decision. And after a scoreless opening frame Saturday, the Friars scored all three of its goals in the second period en route to a 3-0 victory.

About the Huskies: These games in Mankato are the first of the year for the University of Connecticut. The Huskies, which were picked to finish sixth in the Atlantic Hockey Association preseason poll, are led by first-year coach Mike Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh spent the previous 18 years as an assistant coach at Boston College.

UConn returns 23 skaters from last year's squad, which went 19-14-4 and reached the AHA semifinals. Among the returners is netminder Matt Grogan, an all-conference third team member in 2012-13, and the top two goal scorers from a year ago in Brant Harris and Trevor Gerling. Freshman Ryan Segalla was a fourth round pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

The complete ten-page release is available HERE.<<

Game also being streamed??:Video Streaming: Click on Live Video Streaming tab located on rightside of men’s hockey page on msumavericks.com
http://www.b2tv.com/partner_members.asp?id=172&s=214

Reaction Score

>>“I have always thought if UConn went Hockey East and built a rink that they would be a hockey power, and I have thought that for a couple reasons,” Cavanaugh said. “One, just because of the UConn brand. They win in every sport they start. Football, they’ve won two Big East titles in 10 years. Not many other schools have done that. Basketball speaks for itself. Field hockey’s won national titles. Soccer wins. Last year, baseball won the Big East tournament. Their athletics are very important to them.”

Another reason that Cavanaugh thinks that UConn can build success is the school’s relevance in the state.

“If you’re from Michigan, you root for Michigan. If you’re from Ohio, you root for Ohio State. If you’re from Wisconsin, it’s all about the Badgers,” Cavanaugh said. “And UConn, to me, is one of those states. In the east, you don’t really get that. If you grew up in Massachusetts, there’s BC, there’s BU, there’s Harvard. It’s not just UMass that it’s all about. And I feel like here that if you grew up in Connecticut, it’s about the Huskies.”<<

Reaction Score
>>“I have always thought if UConn went Hockey East and built a rink that they would be a hockey power, and I have thought that for a couple reasons,” Cavanaugh said. “One, just because of the UConn brand. They win in every sport they start. Football, they’ve won two Big East titles in 10 years. Not many other schools have done that. Basketball speaks for itself. Field hockey’s won national titles. Soccer wins. Last year, baseball won the Big East tournament. Their athletics are very important to them.”

Another reason that Cavanaugh thinks that UConn can build success is the school’s relevance in the state.

“If you’re from Michigan, you root for Michigan. If you’re from Ohio, you root for Ohio State. If you’re from Wisconsin, it’s all about the Badgers,” Cavanaugh said. “And UConn, to me, is one of those states. In the east, you don’t really get that. If you grew up in Massachusetts, there’s BC, there’s BU, there’s Harvard. It’s not just UMass that it’s all about. And I feel like here that if you grew up in Connecticut, it’s about the Huskies.”<<
http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/17/cav...nnecticut-where-he-keeps-a-grounded-approach/

It seems we may have found someone who hopes to retire at UConn.

I disagree with him about UConn being the only hockey program that will be relevant in the future, though. He contradicted himself by mentioning Harvard in the same sentence as UMass. We can eventually surpass Quinnipiac. They have a very good hockey program and a great approach to their hockey program. But surpassing Yale will be tougher and a lot more work.

Reaction Score
http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/17/cav...nnecticut-where-he-keeps-a-grounded-approach/

It seems we may have found someone who hopes to retire at UConn.

I disagree with him about UConn being the only hockey program that will be relevant in the future, though. He contradicted himself by mentioning Harvard in the same sentence as UMass. We can eventually surpass Quinnipiac. They have a very good hockey program and a great approach to their hockey program. But surpassing Yale will be tougher and a lot more work.
If you look at his quote, I don't think he is just talking about the sport of hockey. That is where the brand UCONN will tie in. All the improvements to the school on the academic side will really help Cav and his staff on the recruiting trail. Outside of an Ivy League education..I will put UCONN up against any school in HE education wise. There is a full check men's league at Chelsea Piers in NYC where teams are made up of guys that played against each other in HE and ECAC and now work in banking or on Wall St.

Reaction Score
I'm very interested in how UConn plays this weekend. They gave Minnesota State all they could handle last year in the UConn tourney final. They were a pretty good team but I'm not sure what they have coming back. Providence certainly had its way with the Mavs last weekend, though that was the reverse when MSU had to travel. I also am curious about how UConn will react to a long road trip right out of the gate. The team is a bit on the young side, though with some pretty good talent coming back, but long road trips with young teams sometimes leads to disaster. I'd be pretty happy with one win out of this trip. It would be a nice way to start the new era.

Reaction Score
I was hoping they'd get the first one, because if they didn't i suspected the 2nd would be very difficult.

Reaction Score
Big win - Grogan stopped a penalty shot w/ 3 minutes left in period 3 up by 1.

“@UConnMHOC: UConn Hockey Post Game vs. Holy Cross November 12th...Huskies Win It 4-3 #BLEEDBLUE

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For some reason this game wasn't on WHUS on-line last night Medic. Cav definitely has them on a good run the past few games...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good win. It is actually good to have some wins this early in the season. I like that they seemed to bounce back, too. That is a good sign. Good that they managed to battle back from 2 down to Union, last night they led lost the lead but battled back for the win.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We got pounded pretty good tonight - Boston U. had 35 shots through two periods.

Reaction Score
We got pounded pretty good tonight - Boston U. had 35 shots through two periods.

Yup... this team will surprise a few folks but they are not @ consistent HE level yet. Need a few more recruiting cycles. Players seem to be responding to staff so we'll see if they can make some conference noise before all is said and done. Heard they might have been a couple of injuries as well.

Edit add (playing catch-up today):

JeffCoxSBNation7:34pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn Injuries: Tyler Cooke with a possible broken finger and Jordan Sims with concussion syndrome, per Mike Cavanaugh in post game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn actually played very well in the third period tonight. Granted, BU is a young and very inexperienced team and probably won't go too far this year, but UConn responded well to playing a poor first two periods and were in a position to get themselves back in the game and potentially tie it late with the two-man advantage. It certainly was not an embarrassment for a growing program. The BU radio guys commented during the 3rd how much they thought the team had progressed through the game, and that there was some good talent out there that could compete in this league. They were very happy that UConn was the 12th selection for the league over another ECAC team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Both of my brothers went to Boston U.

I thought I was in for a long day at 43-42 this morning, but hoop bought me a little peace and quiet during the hockey game.

Reaction Score
Both of my brothers went to Boston U.

I thought I was in for a long day at 43-42 this morning, but hoop bought me a little peace and quiet during the hockey game.
Your brothers, and me, have absolutely nothing to boast about right now with respect to BU hockey. We're coming off an absolute pasting by a bad Maine on Friday and another drubbing by BC last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom