UConn Hockey 2013-2014 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"UConn is 17-94-6 all-time against Hockey East teams. The only Hockey East team UConn has never faced is Boston College, who the Huskies will play in their first conference game next season in Hartford."

God Almighty. I'll stick with being a Yale/QU fan...

Reaction Score
"UConn is 17-94-6 all-time against Hockey East teams." God Almighty. I'll stick with being a Yale/QU fan...
For a lower-level hockey program which hasn't had several than a few partial scholarships until now, what's the surprise? For a UCONN alumnus, why wouldn't you support the school now versus joining a bandwagon when the Huskies' become more successful -- kind of like far too many Yale/Quinninpiac bandwagoners now?

Reaction Score
And the vast majority of those wins and losses came at a time when UConn didn't care about hockey. At all.

Yale's on an upswing for sure, but nobody in the ECAC stays on top forever anymore. These aren't the days when Kepler's Laws of the ECAC hold serve. Hell, the fact that Union and Yale are top-tier ECAC programs, and Clarkson and Harvard are hovering near the bottom, is very much an aberration compared to the history of the league. Yale's hockey history is, despite being involved in the first college game ever, rather inglorious. They're the Rutgers of college hockey, except with a championship banner.

Reaction Score
UConn is 17-94-6 at a time when they were recruiting with ZERO scholarships, woeful facilities, and a piss poor conference affiliation. You all think Hathaway screwed the football and basketball programs? He drove the hockey program to be one of the worst in the entire country by giving it no resources whatsoever and making no substantive change in the direction of the program for 10+ years. Manuel ran the hockey program at Michigan, so it's no surprise that since he's arrived the AD has gotten serious about boosting the program. Cav is an excellent hire, and he surrounded himself with a good staff. Scholarships are being phased in, supposedly facilities are coming down the line, and now they can recruit as a HE program. The plans are in place where it's feasible that in five years UConn could be at the level of a UMass, Merrimack, or Vermont - a 6-9 spot HE team who occasionally makes a run at the Garden, might have an outside shot at the tournament, but competes and gets a few big wins. That would be an enormous step for this program.

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic... :rolleyes:

I floored with players when we were DIII. I went to a game when we were DIII. I can't remember who we played. And I was going to Yale/QU games last year. I was not expecting them to end up in the title game.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Sarcasm doesn't play well in text :)

brasssbonanzaa: I seriously hope we aspire to be better than UMass. ;-)

That being said I'm pretty happy with the season thus far (with the exception of the Bentley game). I just wish I could make a couple of games.. but my son's hockey season is pretty much killing that idea.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
And the vast majority of those wins and losses came at a time when UConn didn't care about hockey. At all.

Yale's on an upswing for sure, but nobody in the ECAC stays on top forever anymore. These aren't the days when Kepler's Laws of the ECAC hold serve. Hell, the fact that Union and Yale are top-tier ECAC programs, and Clarkson and Harvard are hovering near the bottom, is very much an aberration compared to the history of the league. Yale's hockey history is, despite being involved in the first college game ever, rather inglorious. They're the Rutgers of college hockey, except with a championship banner.

You can't have a championship banner, in anything, and be like Rutger? ;)

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic... :rolleyes:

I floored with players when we were DIII. I went to a game when we were DIII. I can't remember who we played. And I was going to Yale/QU games last year. I was not expecting them to end up in the title game.
Mostly we played the same teams we play now. Actually that probably isn't exactly true, but not so far off either. The MAAC which eventually morphed into Atlantic Hockey was originally set up to allow programs that had been playing D3 but were otherwise D1 to keep hockey programs. It was the result of an NCAA rules change that pretty much said if you're D1 you can only be D1. There were also a couple of programs AIC, Bentley that were D2 but since the NCAA dropped the D2 championship they elected to play up which was allowed. But basically UConn used ot play a lot of the D3 schools in New York and new England, and played in the ECAC East. Our oldest rivalry is of all places, AIC. First team UConn played as a varsity program and played them I think every year since. Also played Holy Cross, Quinnipiac, Fairfield, Iona, some of the Massachusetts State schools. Fairgfield and Iona were original MAAC members but ultimately dropped hockey.

Reaction Score
Sarcasm doesn't play well in text :)

brasssbonanzaa: I seriously hope we aspire to be better than UMass. ;-)

That being said I'm pretty happy with the season thus far (with the exception of the Bentley game). I just wish I could make a couple of games.. but my son's hockey season is pretty much killing that idea.
Sure, the aspiration is to be better than UMass, and at the top of HE, but as far as a short-term goal, that's not exactly a realistic goal with where the program is starting. In five seasons if UConn is at or just above the level of UMass/UVM/Merrimack - the 6-9 (of 12) slots in HE, that would be a heck of an accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Saturday night's win was actually a pretty good one. AIC hasn't had the strongest program in the world, but they were 3-0 in the conference, and they often give UConn a battle so going in to that dreary place and winning big was a nice job. Tough weekend coming up at Canisius, so it was good to get a win.

I agree with brassbonanza on where UConn ought to be in the short term. I'd think a realistic goal would be a mid-level HEA team with a "punchers chance" against the BC, BU UNH, Maine types is realistic in 5 years.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Sure, the aspiration is to be better than UMass, and at the top of HE, but as far as a short-term goal, that's not exactly a realistic goal with where the program is starting. In five seasons if UConn is at or just above the level of UMass/UVM/Merrimack - the 6-9 (of 12) slots in HE, that would be a heck of an accomplishment.

Saturday night's win was actually a pretty good one. AIC hasn't had the strongest program in the world, but they were 3-0 in the conference, and they often give UConn a battle so going in to that dreary place and winning big was a nice job. Tough weekend coming up at Canisius, so it was good to get a win.

I agree with brassbonanza on where UConn ought to be in the short term. I'd think a realistic goal would be a mid-level HEA team with a "punchers chance" against the BC, BU UNH, Maine types is realistic in 5 years.

I'm with you guys... my tongue was firmly planted in my check with the better than UMass aspiration. I mean honestly UConn going to Hockey East is huge for UConn... from zero scholarships to the best conference in America in a couple of years. The real ceiling for me depends on what resources the AD decides to devote to it. I really see an on-campus facility as a must. The only real downside to UConn joining HEA for me is now my son has less of a chance to play hockey for UConn. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm with you guys... my tongue was firmly planted in my check with the better than UMass aspiration. I mean honestly UConn going to Hockey East is huge for UConn... from zero scholarships to the best conference in America in a couple of years. The real ceiling for me depends on what resources the AD decides to devote to it. I really see an on-campus facility as a must. The only real downside to UConn joining HEA for me is now my son has less of a chance to play hockey for UConn. ;)
Have to agree that an on-campus facility is a must. From what I hear, and I have no idea how accurate it is, they will have either a new or vastly expanded Frietas coming up. I have heard that 2016 is the target date, but one person told me that's the date for the plans. Another told me that's whne it will be opened. Plan remains the same to play some games in Hartford and maybe 1-2 per year in Bridgeport, too.

Reaction Score
I heard a while back that the concept is the Yankee Cup or some such name as that. This will be an annual tourney each year with 4 of UConn, Quinnipiac, SHU, Yale and UMass, though UConn is hosting so will probably be in it every year with 3 of the other 4. Yale, do to its limited schedule didn't want to commit on an annual basis. QU and UMass didn't want to have to commit to playing SHU annually. UMass was interested in participating on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Even if it was just "Yale, QU, UConn and a random fourth from anywhere in the country ever", I think the three of them would go for it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn Athletics...

Why the sarcastic response to a serious allegation? This lawsuit brings to light what may be a systemic issue that clearly needs to be addressed.

Reaction Score
And it sounds like this lawsuit has the potential to cause the loss of millions of dollars that cannot be replaced. Will the money to settle the lawsuit come from the sports program?

Reaction Score
I doubt it Road Dog....I would say it will come from general budget since this isn't a "athletic" thing...it has athlete's involved but not in their athletic role. If this were a thing where the school was blatantly violating Title IX in athletics I could definitely see the monies coming out of athletic coffers though. I often wonder if the basis of this case is the reason why the Police Chief was replaced very quickly, and if this was one of the things Wm used when he basically told Linstadt to "resign". It is definitely embarrassing to say the least! Anyone involved in the non-reporting aspect of what has happened should be terminated immediately. Herbst needs to do some serious work on the interior of the University, because if the interior fails then the outside will come crumbling down in a disastrous heap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom