UConn hires Raphael Chillious | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn hires Raphael Chillious

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm not sold on the hire yet. To me KO needs an X's and O's guy on the bench. Plus we're plucking someone from the bountiful coaching tree of Lorenzo Romar.

I hope we kill it, but this seems like a stepping stone position for him.

Reaction Score
PURE BS
Ok so you think if we go 16-17 again there isn't a chance he will out? I'm sorry KO won with Calhoun recruits and hasn't been able to get his recruits to buy into his system. We are UCONN and not East Carolina and thus have to be make the tourney most years and be in the top 3 of this horrible league.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Isn't it always a stepping stone position for assistants though?
Yes and his coaching track record is somewhat subpar. However he is a good recruiter. Just get me some W's and all these pointless questions go away.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes and his coaching track record is somewhat subpar. However he is a good recruiter. Just get me some W's and all these pointless questions go away.

It is?

Reaction Score
Honest question, who were the west coast guys on the NC teams? You may have a Valid point, but if so, I am not remembering them. Peace.
Donnell Beverly
Deandre
Marcus Williams for what it's worth
Gavin ""
Travis
Ollie
Donny Marshall
Daniel Hamilton

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok so you think if we go 16-17 again there isn't a chance he will out? I'm sorry KO won with Calhoun recruits and hasn't been able to get his recruits to buy into his system. We are UCONN and not East Carolina and thus have to be make the tourney most years and be in the top 3 of this horrible league.
Just realized we went 16-17 in 16'-17'

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Story from William Paxton:

This is like throwing a raft out to someone who can't swim. Yeah, great or decent recruiter, but doesn't solve the coaching issues.. Yawn... and before anyone quotes my post and brings out the Pom Poms, I don't care.. sad we are getting excited over a coach leaving, accepting players leaving and oh our strength coach walks.. I'm psyched.. Not

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
This is like throwing a raft out to someone who can't swim.
That sounds....like a good idea.

Yeah, great or decent recruiter, but doesn't solve the coaching issues..
Can't even say he's a great recruiter, you had to downgrade to decent? Good thing you're 100% sure he can't coach. I bet your heard that from a top source at PetSmart.

and before anyone quotes my post and brings out the Pom Poms,
TOO LATE

Yawn...
Exactly.

Isn't there some other board that you can go make up fake car wash stories for likes? Maybe switch it up and do a laundromat this time?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That sounds....like a good idea.

Can't even say he's a great recruiter, you had to downgrade to decent? Good thing you're 100% sure he can't coach. I bet your heard that from a top source at PetSmart.

TOO LATE

Exactly.

Isn't there some other board that you can go make up fake car wash stories for likes? Maybe switch it up and do a laundromat this time?
Brutal. Deserving. But brutal. Well done.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on the hire yet. To me KO needs an X's and O's guy on the bench. Plus we're plucking someone from the bountiful coaching tree of Lorenzo Romar.

I hope we kill it, but this seems like a stepping stone position for him.

I agree that no one should be heaping any kind of expectations on this guy, positive or negative, yet. Let's see if we become a better team before we judge. And while some people may be quick to judge negatively, the far more common occurrence on this board is for people to declare every new recruit and coach to be a deity. People went way out on a limb in their support of KO's hiring and that is why so many of them still refuse to accept any negative analysis of the man to this day. It is like asking them to cut off their arm. They can't now. There is way to much cheerleading that occurs way too quickly. And then people need to crank up excuses when reality doesn't match expectations. It's the conference...it's the sanctions...it's the injuries...it's the weather...it's the ugly women...it's the crazy dad.

Reaction Score
My only concern with the hire is that for all the "great" recruiting Chillious and UW has done, they've been bad the last 5 seasons (REALLY bad this past year). Getting great players doesn't do you much good if you still suck. Ollie has not proven to be a good X's and O's guys at all, and it doesn't seem like Chillious really is either. Would love to find a guy that can actually coach and develop players. Even if Chillious recruits out of his mind, would prefer not to turn into a poor performing one and done factory like UW has been as of late.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Get a life you loser.. I'm pretty sure I'd say it to your face.. go ahead get excited about hiring a coach who can recruit.. if he can coach he would be a head coach some where. Everyone with the Ollie Pom Poms will be crying get rid of him with another season like this past one. This board sucks really, anyone who shares an opinion right or wrong and all of a sudden they're wrong blah blah blah..

Who moderates this site? PM ME so I can delete this account. Anyone interested in a real site where you can actually share an opinion can join the new site I'll create.
Will the logo be a car wash? Please say yes.

Reaction Score
The Washington Huskies went 9-22 this season and I don't think they won a game after January 18th. I would definitely temper my expectations on any positive impact Chillious might have, especially in light of the fact that we only return three active players next season in addition to three who redshirted.

This is still a mess any way you slice it.

Reaction Score
Get a life you loser.. I'm pretty sure I'd say it to your face.. go ahead get excited about hiring a coach who can recruit.. if he can coach he would be a head coach some where. Everyone with the Ollie Pom Poms will be crying get rid of him with another season like this past one. This board sucks really, anyone who shares an opinion right or wrong and all of a sudden they're wrong blah blah blah..

Who moderates this site? PM ME so I can delete this account. Anyone interested in a real site where you can actually share an opinion can join the new site I'll create.

Lol go cry some more you big baby. Wahhhh no one likes my shtyy opinions

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Get a life you loser..

Oh wow, I'm only a sentence in and already somehow I'm the loser....not the fake car wash guy.

I'm pretty sure I'd say it to your face..

Pretty sure? You can't even commit to being an internet tuff guy.

go ahead get excited about hiring a coach who can recruit.. if he can coach he would be a head coach some where. Everyone with the Ollie Pom Poms will be crying get rid of him with another season like this past one.

Chillious is not going to be a silver bullet, the program has problems beyond recruiting, but if you get a chance to nab an ace recruiter you do it, even if you have needs in other areas. Next year is probably going to suck, but I'm on board with trying it with different coaching pieces in place. A year like this demands a blood sacrifice, and KO is the face of the program and the AD isn't giving up on him yet so assistant coaching needed a shake up. Other people have said it better than me in this, and other, threads.

This board sucks really, anyone who shares an opinion right or wrong and all of a sudden they're wrong blah blah blah..

Ahhhhhahahaha, this is next level stuff! "MODS QUICK, I need you to save me from myself and purge any traces of my sh!ty posting history! Also, I'm going to make a new site without all the phonies where everyone can post their opinion as long as they're not mean to meeeeeeeeeee"

Reaction Score
I've far from the most positive poster on this board, but lol at some of the criticism of this hiring.

The recruiting has been pretty good the past two years, and Ollie has surrounded himself wit both two guys who should make it even better. The jury is still out on the staff getting the most out of the players' talent (or even keeping them), but Killings and Chillious long term more than offset the short-term departures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom