UConn-Hartford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-Hartford

Reaction Score
LOL!!!!!

I'm not saying this branch should have its own library, but it is downright laughable to expect students to use the public library. This is like telling the stonemason that you're not going to give him rocks, but there are some abandoned gravel pits around town.

I think the students will do just fine using interlibrary loan from the Storrs campus.
It's an excellent library. Not just a good library, but an excellent one. And as has been mentioned it's literally across the corner. It's like telling the stonemason there are blocks of free granite in their back yard.

Reaction Score
It's an excellent library. Not just a good library, but an excellent one. And as has been mentioned it's literally across the corner. It's like telling the stonemason there are blocks of free granite in their back yard.

I would seriously doubt it. A public library has no business buying academic texts. It would be a major undertaking.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Someone should ask the current students at the branch if they would prefer having to drive in to Hartford everyday. I was talking to a UConn rep at a recent college fair, he said the new branch would be utilizing various facilities downtown such as the public library, as it won't have space for it's own library. I'm not a fan.
I am interested to know what percentage of students use cars versus public transportation to get to the current campus. Has anyone heard what the parking situation would be at the new campus, it could be ugly if not done correctly.
I am a former student of this campus, and I can tell you a great deal of students drive to that campus everyday. Sometimes in the morning I would have to get past a couple hundred cars to find a spot. I also knew quite a few students who took the city bus. Regardless, parking could be a mess at the new hartford campus.
Also, no I would not prefer driving in to hartford each day. I live about 40 minutes east of the campus, and driving through hartford to get to west hartford was brutal enough some mornings.
The only upside to this is the fact that the current campus is like a rundown high school and needs to be upgraded. Otherwise, I'm against the move. It was nice having a relatively quiet corner in West Hartford, with Whole Foods a minute away. Then again, universities are a business first and foremost now, so who cares what the students think.

Reaction Score
It's a great concept and will look really sharp, but property values are so low in Hartford (compared to the cost of construction) that UConn would have been better served by buying a vacant office building (or two) and refitting that, than building a new campus in place.

My guess is that UConn was urged (by someone in power) to build the campus on that site rather than find a most cost-effective option.
The City made a proposal for a site in the NorthEnd but later withdrew it and gave UConn its blessing to pursue any site within the city. I remember the City saying at the time that the Times site was already congested. The City evidently wasn't or isn't 'someone in power'.

Reaction Score
The City made a proposal for a site in the NorthEnd but later withdrew it and gave UConn its blessing to pursue any site within the city. I remember the City saying at the time that the Times site was already congested. The City evidently wasn't or isn't 'someone in power'.

I think UConn may have been asked to build the campus into the Adriaen's Landing site by the State.

Reaction Score
I think UConn may have been asked to build the campus into the Adriaen's Landing site by the State.

I believe the city preferred them to build at Talcott Plaza but UConn wanted the HTB.

Reaction Score
I would like to see UConnHartford have a few athletic teams, but first if the state want that, I'd love to see the Community College reactive their teams. Manchester Community College had great basketball teams and soccer teams. I doubt you'll see UConn -Hartford doing any athletics. Would love to see a rivalry between UHart and UConn-Hartford in Lax.
I think the satellite campuses are a lot more integrated with the main campus than they used to be. When my youngest daughter attended a few years back she took some of here core classes in Hartford (easier commute) and had one of the football players in her class at the Hartford campus. As a matter of fact one class she took was full in Storrs and not available in Hartford. She took it at the Waterbury campus. So one semester of her sophomore year she commuted to Storrs, Hartford and Waterbury. Her Junior and Senior year were exclusivly at the Storrs campus. The people that graduate from the Hartford campus graduate in Storrs with the Storrs students. I am not sure about the other campuses.

Reaction Score
I think the satellite campuses are a lot more integrated with the main campus than they used to be. When my youngest daughter attended a few years back she took some of here core classes in Hartford (easier commute) and had one of the football players in her class at the Hartford campus. As a matter of fact one class she took was full in Storrs and not available in Hartford. She took it at the Waterbury campus. So one semester of her sophomore year she commuted to Storrs, Hartford and Waterbury. Her Junior and Senior year were exclusivly at the Storrs campus. The people that graduate from the Hartford campus graduate in Storrs with the Storrs students. I am not sure about the other campuses.

I took nearly all of my math classes at UConn Waterbury after my disastrous first year in Storrs (at least academically) because in Waterbury classes were primarily taught by high school teachers making extra money over the summer versus TA Storrs who may have been brilliant; but, could speak English about as well as I could comprehend Calc III.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UConn's Hartford Campus May Extend to City's Public Library

"The University of Connecticut's vision for creating an urban neighborhood campus around its new downtown location is beginning to take shape with a $4 million agreement to renovate and lease space at Hartford Public Library for classrooms, a library collection and study areas.

"This is tremendously important to the vision for the campus," Robert Corbett, the university's director of regional projects and development, said Monday. "We want students in the neighborhood and interacting with the community. We didn't want to create an ivory tower and an isolated campus."

The agreement still needs the approval of the city council, the library board and the UConn Board of Trustees. The city council Monday was expected to refer it to committee for further review; the trustees could vote at the end of March, UConn said."

http://www.courant.com/real-estate/...n-hartford-public-library-20160222-story.html

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
"The University of Connecticut Wednesday approved a $4 million plan to renovate and lease space at the Hartford Public Library on Main Street for the university's new downtown Hartford campus.

UConn's board of trustees backed the plan to use the space for classrooms, a library collection and study areas, part of a vision for creating an urban neighborhood campus in the city. The university also is negotiating an agreement with the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art for the use of its auditorium.

Both the library and the Atheneum are within a short walking distance of the former Hartford Times building on Prospect Street, the center of the new campus. The redevelopment of the Times Building, which will include a restored facade and a five-story addition is well underway."

http://www.courant.com/real-estate/...downtown-hartford-library-20160330-story.html

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
probably if they knew that most of the $7.5 million was only being deferred until the property was resold
University of Connecticut spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz confirmed the $5 million purchase offer in an email Monday and said if the town were to sell the property to a third party before October 2024, it would remit 90 percent of the sale price to UConn, under terms of the sale.

Of course the current plan is for WH to hold the property, and demolish the buildings as part of $20M plan to turn the site into a park.

Not sure why UConn would give up on a better deal.

Reaction Score
Of course the current plan is for WH to hold the property, and demolish the buildings as part of $20M plan to turn the site into a park.

Where did you hear that the town's plan is to turn it into a park? I figured they would hold the property until they got a better potential opportunity than the International school.

CL82

Reaction Score
Where did you hear that the town's plan is to turn it into a park? I figured they would hold the property until they got a better potential opportunity than the International school.
In the linked article

CL82

Reaction Score
A Berkeley Law professor, William Falik, donated $100,000 to his alma mater, Harvard Law, for a public interest fellowship, according to Inside Higher Education, an online news source. When he was given the chance for a naming opportunity, he went with naming a bathroom, the Falik Men's Room. (Yes, that's the pronunciation.)

There's hope for the Boneyard to get naming rights.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A Berkeley Law professor, William Falik, donated $100,000 to his alma mater, Harvard Law, for a public interest fellowship, according to Inside Higher Education, an online news source. When he was given the chance for a naming opportunity, he went with naming a bathroom, the Falik Men's Room. (Yes, that's the pronunciation.)

There's hope for the Boneyard to get naming rights.
Think of how great the name would have been if only his surname was 'Falikles'!

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom