UConn-Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Hartford

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Drew you do realize it's just a commuter campus right? They aren't opening dorms and moving 2500 people into the city.

Not when they have that spiffy busway up and running.

pj

Reaction Score
Not sure if people are understanding what I said so I'm going to clarify. I simply asked if UConn-Hartford had the capacity to host a mens/womens bball team, and potentially lax teams. To me it makes sense to try to grow the Hartford campus from 2000 kids to 4500 kids, especially if it's going to be in downtown Hartford, and sports seem like a great way to do that. I never said anything about Division 1 sports or FBS football..

They should keep it at 2000 and join a high school league. The CCC would be a good fit.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You do realize that, in the 60s and early 70s at least, the Hartford campus did field basketball and baseball teams.

Reaction Score
You do realize that, in the 60s and early 70s at least, the Hartford campus did field basketball and baseball teams.

And golf. I played on all three at UCH '72-74. Played on Field House floor as lead-in to the varsity hoops game once. There was also still a JV hoops team at Storrs. We played other UConn branches, Jr. and community colleges in CT. Had some baseball players that made varsity at Storrs. The great Dave Daniels was AD (and coach of baseball, golf). Mario Sotilli was hoops coach.

Reaction Score
Avery point had a top 20 juco women's basketball team about 6-7 years ago

Reaction Score
Being from Charlotte and seeing the success that UNCC has had in creating a very solid all around athletic department, it got me wondering if the new UConn-Hartford campus could potentially field any sports teams in the future? I admit up front I know nothing about the school in terms of student body size, how many students commute vs attend full time, etc. Not talking a huge athletic department, more like just basketball (m/w), baseball (can play in the new Rockcats stadium), and softball. Maybe even add lacrosse and use that to attract students.

*Again I want to say I have no clue the demographics that make up UConn-Hartford so if this isn't feasible then nevermind. Just seems like an interesting way for the state to grow the UConn system while having Hartford see an influx of students.

I would like to see UConnHartford have a few athletic teams, but first if the state want that, I'd love to see the Community College reactive their teams. Manchester Community College had great basketball teams and soccer teams. I doubt you'll see UConn -Hartford doing any athletics. Would love to see a rivalry between UHart and UConn-Hartford in Lax.

Reaction Score
It's really not feasible. Until very recently (probably the mid-1990s), you couldn't get a four-year degree through any of the branch campuses. The branches were satellites for "lower division" classes, but all majors required you to finish your last two years in Storrs. Since then, the University created a "tri-campus" program that would allow you to finish your degree west of the river (West Hartford, Waterbury, Torrington) and a number of degrees can now be finished in Stamford and Avery Point (primarily degrees in marine science).

That the branches are primarily two-year schools is the reason why Avery Point is in the NJCAA and not Division III.

CCSU is another animal entirely. Frankly, if things didn't cost money, I'd like to see all of the CSUs consolidated in one location (probably CCSU's), build us a new on-campus stadium, and give the CSUs Rentschler Field.

Giving Rentschler to CSU would be great ONLY IF CSU joined the AAC. After we went to the B1G, that is...

Reaction Score
If UConn - Hartford wants to move up to FBS they will need a new stadium. Should the city or state pay for it?
They'd be a D3 team playing at Dillon Stadium. If that ever happened...i heard that Goodwin College might start athletics...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Update from the UConn Magazine:

Downtown CampusWhen UConn’s Hartford campus moves downtown in the capital city in fall 2017, it’s going to mean a lot more than just a change of address.

As dynamic new renderings show, the planned Hartford campus will be a milestone for the University and for the city, anchoring the continued growth of UConn’s academic mission while contributing to the revitalization of downtown.

The center of the campus will be the restored Hartford Times building, which will retain its iconic façade. A new, attached five-story building will offer state-of-the-art classrooms and labs for University students and faculty.

The nearby Graduate Business Learning Center will be consolidated with the other programs at the new campus, including the Department of Public Policy and School of Social Work.

The University will also add a master’s degree program in engineering at the campus, along with expanded public policy, urban studies, and education programs.

The new location will bring students closer to potential internships, service projects, and jobs in urban K-12 schools, government agencies, businesses, nonprofits, and other entities.

About 2,300 commuting students and 250 employees will be based at the campus, which will return UConn to its urban roots; although located in West Hartford since 1970, the regional campus was first established in Hartford in 1939.

http://magazine.uconn.edu/2015/04/getting-off-the-ground/

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/education/hc-uconn-hartford-campus-1119-20151118-story.html

hc-uconn-hartford-campus-1119-20151118-001.jpg

Cost of UConn Hartford campus rises to $140M, up from $115M
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=xyC6j5OL

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cost aside, that does look like a sharp satellite campus. MUCH better than the current satellite in West Hartford. I hope student presence at XL hoops and hockey games will get a boost from this opening.

Reaction Score
Cost aside, that does look like a sharp satellite campus. MUCH better than the current satellite in West Hartford. I hope student presence at XL hoops and hockey games will get a boost from this opening.

It's a great concept and will look really sharp, but property values are so low in Hartford (compared to the cost of construction) that UConn would have been better served by buying a vacant office building (or two) and refitting that, than building a new campus in place.

My guess is that UConn was urged (by someone in power) to build the campus on that site rather than find a most cost-effective option.

Reaction Score
It's a great concept and will look really sharp, but property values are so low in Hartford (compared to the cost of construction) that UConn would have been better served by buying a vacant office building (or two) and refitting that, than building a new campus in place.

My guess is that UConn was urged (by someone in power) to build the campus on that site rather than find a most cost-effective option.

I was under the impression that the campus was taking over the old Hartford Times building and a couple other vacant ones? Are they actually just demolishing the lot and rebuilding? That would be a shame, I loved the Hartford Times building.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the campus was taking over the old Hartford Times building and a couple other vacant ones? Are they actually just demolishing the lot and rebuilding? That would be a shame, I loved the Hartford Times building.

They're building into/behind the old Hartford Times façade (which is almost as big as the building itself). You can see the Hartford Times façade in that picture posted above, to the bottom left.

That Hartford Times building is really, really neat. Four different U.S. Presidents have spoken from those steps.

Reaction Score
They're building into/behind the old Hartford Times façade (which is almost as big as the building itself). You can see the Hartford Times façade in that picture posted above, to the bottom left.

That Hartford Times building is really, really neat. Four different U.S. Presidents have spoken from those steps.

Oh yeah that's right I see the pillars. It was always one of my favorite buildings downtown. Am very happy that it's finally going to be used again.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Someone should ask the current students at the branch if they would prefer having to drive in to Hartford everyday. I was talking to a UConn rep at a recent college fair, he said the new branch would be utilizing various facilities downtown such as the public library, as it won't have space for it's own library. I'm not a fan.

Reaction Score
Someone should ask the current students at the branch if they would prefer having to drive in to Hartford everyday. I was talking to a UConn rep at a recent college fair, he said the new branch would be utilizing various facilities downtown such as the public library, as it won't have space for it's own library. I'm not a fan.

They're also planning on holding lectures in area facilities that aren't used in daylight hours, such as the new theater on Front Street, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom