UConn-Hartford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-Hartford

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The school that's been crying about money?
Not really an apples to apples comparison Boat. Amortize that $140M over the life of the new campus. It is a little more than half the proposed cost of the XL center reno. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but we have a few real estate/construction/developer guys on the board who could speak to it more knowledgeably.

Reaction Score
Not really an apples to apples comparison Boat. Amortize that $140M over the life of the new campus. It is a little more than half the proposed cost of the XL center reno. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but we have a few real estate/construction/developer guys on the board who could speak to it more knowledgeably.

Also this strikes me as a smart development and investment. This campus is going to be a center of activity and commerce for years to come. There will always be people coming in and out of it. Academia is a fairly stable industry.

Investing in arenas and stadiums is far more risky. It assumes 1) a long-term tenant 2) a successful or entertaining product. Which all of us have been around the Hartford-area long enough to realize is far from a safe bet.

I have no problem with this.

Reaction Score
Someone should ask the current students at the branch if they would prefer having to drive in to Hartford everyday.

I am interested to know what percentage of students use cars versus public transportation to get to the current campus. Has anyone heard what the parking situation would be at the new campus, it could be ugly if not done correctly.

CL82

Reaction Score
University spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said the value of the West Hartford campus won't be known until a use for the property is determined.

The property cannot be used for commercial development under current zoning. It would be worth more, for example, if the town decided to use it for senior housing than if it decides to turn it into a park, Reitz said.

Wait, what? The property is worth what it is worth. Value it at under the current zoning rules.

For what it worth, if it has significantly more value as a commercial property, I'd quietly reach out to the town to see if they are amenable to zoning change. UConn could sell it for more and West Hartford gets to tax it on a higher base. I have no idea if that makes sense given the property's location.

Reaction Score
Beautiful looking and will be a 1st class campus which it should be with UCONN being a TOP 20 MAJOR NATIONAL PUBLIC INSTITUTION.

This is worthy of Big10 Status.

Love the direction that the university is headed.

Lot of stuff coming together: Top 20 ranking, new and improved medical school, Jackson lab, Hartford campus, research park, new buildings and labs on campus, new sports facilities, new Mansfield downtown development with shops and vibrant activity. Really positive.

1st Class stuff costs money. However, UCONN is an investment in the future of the state, its economy and citizens.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
University spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said the value of the West Hartford campus won't be known until a use for the property is determined.

The property cannot be used for commercial development under current zoning. It would be worth more, for example, if the town decided to use it for senior housing than if it decides to turn it into a park, Reitz said.

Wait, what? The property is worth what it is worth. Value it at under the current zoning rules.

For what it worth, if it has significantly more value as a commercial property, I'd quietly reach out to the town to see if they are amenable to zoning change. UConn could sell it for more and West Hartford gets to tax it on a higher base. I have no idea if that makes sense given the property's location.
Yes, this seems ass-backwards. The price won't go up depending on who is bidding on it. West Hartford has already said no to any commercial development, as it sits in the middle of a residential zone and has a 100 year flood plain going through it. St. Josephs is adjacent to the parking lot side, but would not appear to need the extra land and buildings. Since UConn has pronounced the existing buildings as being too expensive to renovate, could luck finding a buyer who will pay for them as an asset.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score

The West Hartford campus is surrounded on all sides by single-family residences. The Town of West Hartford is not going to change the zoning to commercial.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a UConn rep at a recent college fair, he said the new branch would be utilizing various facilities downtown such as the public library, as it won't have space for it's own library. I'm not a fan.

LOL!!!!!

I'm not saying this branch should have its own library, but it is downright laughable to expect students to use the public library. This is like telling the stonemason that you're not going to give him rocks, but there are some abandoned gravel pits around town.

I think the students will do just fine using interlibrary loan from the Storrs campus.

Reaction Score
Will the Hartford campus have an enrollment greater than the current West Hartford enrollment?

If UConn Storrs wants to be considered a top university and increase recruitment from top employers, then the university must increase the caliber of student attending the school. The reputation of a school isn't based on how new and nice it's labs are, but rather based on the performance and potential of it's students. If UConn Storrs keeps increasing enrollment, then it makes it difficult to accomplish this. Students who have success at the branches and other state schools can transfer to UConn Storrs after 1-2 years.

Reaction Score
Will the Hartford campus have an enrollment greater than the current West Hartford enrollment?

If UConn Storrs wants to be considered a top university and increase recruitment from top employers, then the university must increase the caliber of student attending the school. The reputation of a school isn't based on how new and nice it's labs are, but rather based on the performance and potential of it's students. If UConn Storrs keeps increasing enrollment, then it makes it difficult to accomplish this. Students who have success at the branches and other state schools can transfer to UConn Storrs after 1-2 years.

Schools' reputations are largely based on the amount of stuff they produce.

CL82

Reaction Score
The West Hartford campus is surrounded on all sides by single-family residences. The Town of West Hartford is not going to change the zoning to commercial.
Fair enough. Then the highest and best use is probably residential housing, rather than park land.
I don't know the area, but I remember West Hartford as being fairly nice, though dense in some areas.

Reaction Score
Someone should ask the current students at the branch if they would prefer having to drive in to Hartford everyday. I was talking to a UConn rep at a recent college fair, he said the new branch would be utilizing various facilities downtown such as the public library, as it won't have space for it's own library. I'm not a fan.
Also within a Burrell pass of the Wadsworth and more importantly, the Elks Club! Ah, the days of 60 cent long necks at lunch.

Reaction Score
Schools' reputations are largely based on the amount of stuff they produce.

I meant reputation outside of academia. As in general public perception. This is usually based on how difficult it is to get into the school. So acceptance rate, SAT/ACT scores of students, and average GPA/ class rank/ percent of valedictorians. Employers look at caliber of student when selecting where to spend time recruiting students. Right now UConn is not attracting the top employers in things like technology and business. It would also help encourage businesses to base out of the Hartford area because UConn Storrs can act as a feeder school.

Reaction Score

Cornell has a similar arrangement with some of the smaller CUNY and SUNY schools in New York (I have a friend who went through this program via SUNY Cobleskill) and it does not seem to hurt Cornell's reputation.

http://admissions.cals.cornell.edu/apply/transfer/transfer-agreements

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It does seem to me that UCONN Hartford campus should have its own library.

That's an absolute must have.

Reaction Score
It does seem to me that UCONN Hartford campus should have its own library.

That's an absolute must have.

Why?

I'm being serious, if there is a huge public library available to students a few blocks away, why is it critical for the campus to have it's own library when it would likely be inferior to what's already available.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Why?

I'm being serious, if there is a huge public library available to students a few blocks away, why is it critical for the campus to have it's own library when it would likely be inferior to what's already available.
Sharing study space with a homeless population, for one thing.

Reaction Score
Sharing study space with a homeless population, for one thing.

Have you ever been to the Hartford Public Library? There aren't homeless people roaming the stacks, there is security there and it's actually a pretty darn good institution.

But hey, I get it, it's easier to just rely on lazy stereotypes.

Reaction Score
A library? Why does someone go to the library in 2015? I've got kids, the library is on their computer. Aside from being quiet, their long-term value add is minimal, at best.

Yes, let's ask the students what they want; we're seeing terrific examples of students making appropriate long-term decisions on behalf of a university.

Reaction Score
Some of you will b***h about literally anything.

My understand is that UConn wants there to be more permanent residents in future, so building a legitimate campus - rather than one building - is a good move. We'll see if it pans out, but I think it could turn out to be a smart move in the long run (especially if more of a campus presence helps liven up downtown Hartford, even a little).

Reaction Score
A library? Why does someone go to the library in 2015? I've got kids, the library is on their computer. Aside from being quiet, their long-term value add is minimal, at best.

Yes, let's ask the students what they want; we're seeing terrific examples of students making appropriate long-term decisions on behalf of a university.

Today, a library may not be as 'must' as it has been in the past. That said, they do need some space for meetings, joint studies, research (on-line), etc. that is not always being used as a classroom. Think of a hybrid library/media center/student union. If that is included in the building going up, it should be fine for a branch campus. Having access to a large, traditional library such as Hartford's Public Library, would be a nice supplement.

Reaction Score
Today, a library may not be as 'must' as it has been in the past. That said, they do need some space for meetings, joint studies, research (on-line), etc. that is not always being used as a classroom. Think of a hybrid library/media center/student union. If that is included in the building going up, it should be fine for a branch campus. Having access to a large, traditional library such as Hartford's Public Library, would be a nice supplement.

Agreed, but in the depth chart of essential on-campus buildings in downtown Hartford I would put an additional library somewhere towards the bottom, maybe even behind Ryan Leaf.

The Hartford Public Library is not only a tremendous resource in terms of research materials, but it also has a huge number of conference rooms and study areas. It's really a great facility.

Reaction Score
NYUConn said:
Agreed, but in the depth chart of essential on-campus buildings in downtown Hartford I would put an additional library somewhere towards the bottom, maybe even behind Ryan Leaf.

The Hartford Public Library is not only a tremendous resource in terms of research materials, but it also has a huge number of conference rooms and study areas. It's really a great facility.

Not to mention the library backs up directly across the street from the campus. Cross arch st diagonally to the south west and viola you are there. Seems like a silly waste of money to have libraries next to each other. If the public isn't up to uconn standards invest in the already existing infrastructure.

Reaction Score
Went through four years of school and never took a book out from the library once*. Most college students only need a quiet room with computers and desks to do work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom