UConn GOAT Bracket | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn GOAT Bracket

Reaction Score
I am really questioning my memory. I did not look up any statistics and just went from what I remember. I loved loved loved Bazz, but a #1 seed over Emeka? I remember Okafer being totally dominant at both ends of the floor. He was the rightful national player of the year. I also would have put Donyell Marshall over Bazz, as he was the runner up for national player of the year. It doesn't take away what Shabazz did, but he is not one of the four best Huskies ever (although he did win two national championships).

I didn't look over this entire bracket but would probably question so many. Kevin Ollie was a four year starter on some really good teams Rashad Anderson was a shooter off of the bench. Ollie is a 12, and Anderson a 5?

Reaction Score
You guys had to be real young when Okafor played right? That's really the only thing that makes sense.

I'm not saying Shabazz was anywhere near Okafor on a defensive level. Just that he was no slouch himself. And you guessed correctly..I was 8 when Okafor left :D

Reaction Score
i keep going back and forth between the facebook page and uconnhuskies. seriously, how do you vote? :confused:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned, Mek should the overall #1. Bazz and Kemba are ones. And I have trouble deciding between Ray and Rip for the last 1 spot.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Definitely this. Have to give Bazz the edge over Ray. Ray was great but didn’t deliver a championship.

Also, Kemba and Rip seem to be the unanimous top two players since no one is arguing to bump them off as 1 seeds.
I would take Ray over Rip by the narrowest of margins for my 4th #1. On odd numbered days, anyway, because I'll probably feel the other way tomorrow.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I am really questioning my memory. I did not look up any statistics and just went from what I remember. I loved loved loved Bazz, but a #1 seed over Emeka? I remember Okafer being totally dominant at both ends of the floor. He was the rightful national player of the year. I also would have put Donyell Marshall over Bazz, as he was the runner up for national player of the year. It doesn't take away what Shabazz did, but he is not one of the four best Huskies ever (although he did win two national championships).

I didn't look over this entire bracket but would probably question so many. Kevin Ollie was a four year starter on some really good teams Rashad Anderson was a shooter off of the bench. Ollie is a 12, and Anderson a 5?
Picking 'Yell over Bazz is a mortal sin. I have him getting eliminated in the first round. Punishment for those two free throws.

Recency factor. The disaster that was his last years at the helm and the lawsuit are way fresher in the collective memory of the yard, and all of the Husky Nation for that matter, to think or speak of him in a positive light.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You guys had to be real young when Okafor played right? That's really the only thing that makes sense.
Because Emeka impacts Bazz's defense how again?

CL82

Reaction Score
No clue what this is supposed to mean.
I posted about Bazz's defense and you posted that I must have been young when when Emeka played. I didn't, and still don't, see the linkage.

Reaction Score
I posted about Bazz's defense and you posted that I must have been young when when Emeka played. I didn't, and still don't, see the linkage.
Someone posted that Shabazz had nowhere near the defensive impact of Emeka and you responded Tell that to the Harrison brothers, implying that you did think Shabazz had the same defensive impact.

Unless you experienced some severe head trauma in the last 16 years, there is no way you watched the Okafor era as an adult, or even young adult, if you think Shabazz had the same defensive impact as Emeka. Their impact on the defensive end was not even remotely close.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Someone posted that Shabazz had nowhere near the defensive impact of Emeka and you responded Tell that to the Harrison brothers, implying that you did think Shabazz had the same defensive impact.

Unless you experienced some severe head trauma in the last 16 years, there is no way you watched the Okafor era as an adult, or even young adult, if you think Shabazz had the same defensive impact as Emeka. Their impact on the defensive end was not even remotely close.
I guess you never experienced the Reach-around Bandit then!

Seriously though, @CL82 did suffer severe head trauma. We don't like to talk about it; it's kinda rude.

CL82

Reaction Score

Nope. My point was that Bazz's defense was a big part of his game. It was, along with Boartright's D a huge part of why we on it all in 2014. Teams just could not run their preferred offense. I guess that it a subtle point that may have missed watching the games.

Pro tip, if you imagine what I mean by assuming that I am "implying" something that I didn't say, go back and reread my post. I'm am typically pretty straight forward.

(Attempt to bolster your point with sophomoric insults duly noted.)

CL82

Reaction Score
Seriously though, @CL82 did suffer severe head trauma. We don't like to talk about it; it's kinda rude.
Well, it's not like I'd remember it, so [shrugs] maybe...

Reaction Score
Give Okafor the advantage on defense if you want, but he didn't drag his team to a national championship the way Bazz did.

Reaction Score
Give Okafor the advantage on defense if you want, but he didn't drag his team to a national championship the way Bazz did.
I mean, I might rewatch that Duke game...

That 2004 team was super talented, but he was the best player on the team and they don't win the title without him. When his back was injured, they lost to the team they crushed in the Finals.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

That 2004 team was super talented, but he was the best player on the team and they don't win the title without him. When his back was injured, they lost to the team they crushed in the Finals.

Yeah when you talk about grit, You can’t forget that meka labored through the entire year with that back injury...and was still clearly the best player in the country.

Reaction Score

That Georgia Tech game was early in the season, and the whole team didn't show up to play. It's one game. The 2014 team lost the AAC championship by about 30 to Louisville and it wasn't that close.

When you rewatch that Duke game, watch some of the other games and pay attention to #4.

He led the team in scoring for the season. Yes Okafor won the tourney MOP, but #4 led the NCAA tournament in scoring and won the Regional MOP. Any other year and he wins the tourney MOP too.

For the season he chipped in 4+ assists/rebounds per game while shooting 43% from 3PT range.

When Okafor's back was gimpy during the Big East Tournament, he responded by setting the scoring record (Iverson's former record IIRC) and won the tournament MOP.

They don't win the BET or the NCAA tourney without #4 either. That's why when Okafor was drafted 2nd, BG was drafted 3rd. And I believe that's why Okafor is a 2 seed.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Picking 'Yell over Bazz is a mortal sin. I have him getting eliminated in the first round. Punishment for those two free throws.

Recency factor. The disaster that was his last years at the helm and the lawsuit are way fresher in the collective memory of the yard, and all of the Husky Nation for that matter, to think or speak of him in a positive light.

The problem with this logic is where do you draw the line?

You holding Kemba’s atrocious free throw shooting that cost them another championship game in 2009 against him?

The biggest argument to support kemba is that the 09 team had no business letting that MSU team within 20 of them, so do you hold it against guys like thabeet and Adrien who got tossed around by absolute nobodies?

What about the 06 team Who ended the year with the most embarrassing loss in at least this century? I’d love to bury all of them for it. But that would be rather harsh to some members.

Reaction Score
Nope. My point was that Bazz's defense was a big part of his game. It was, along with Boartright's D a huge part of why we on it all in 2014. Teams just could not run their preferred offense. I guess that it a subtle point that may have missed watching the games.

Pro tip, if you imagine what I mean by assuming that I am "implying" something that I didn't say, go back and reread my post. I'm am typically pretty straight forward.

(Attempt to bolster your point with sophomoric insults duly noted.)
You’re adorable.

Reaction Score
Florida resident?

;) ;) :D

Website say you can vote in a number of ways starting tomorrow. If you're on social media, check twitter or IG tomorrow. If you're not, go to ucoonnhuskies.com
I might be the most northern boneyarder

Reaction Score
Florida resident?

;) ;) :D

Website say you can vote in a number of ways starting tomorrow. If you're on social media, check twitter or IG tomorrow. If you're not, go to ucoonnhuskies.com
I don't do any social media stuff and went to UConn Huskies.com and tried but couldn't find a link that worked. I would love to participate, any suggestions?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom