UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 23 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I took a short drive Friday night to watch Megan Walker's conference championship game, and to my untrained eye at least, she was impressive. Her outside jump shot wasn't really on, and she didn't have a great night from the free throw line, but I'm not about to draw any conclusions about those things from just one game. She was great at practically everything else. She was very effective off the dribble and excellent on the fast break, whether leading it herself or running the floor to receive a pass. She's a willing passer, and a good one, when making a pass is the right play. She's also a disruptive defender everywhere on the court: down low, extending pressure up top, pressing full court, you name it. Moreover, she seems to take a lot of pride in her defense. On two occasions, a player Megan was guarding managed to score on her, and both times Megan seemed to take personal offense, charging back down the court like a raging bull, determined to get the two points back. She made a couple nice hustle plays, gliding out of bounds in an effort to save loose balls. And she's obviously a gifted athlete. The ball was stuck between the backboard and rim at one point, and Megan had no trouble at all jumping up and dislodging it.

But my favorite thing I saw her do is something you'll never see on any highlight video, and it's easy to miss in live action unless you ignore the ball and focus your attention on a certain player. During one offensive possession in the third quarter, Megan (without the ball) noticed that two of her teammates (also without the ball) weren't moving to the correct places on the floor. She got their attention and started directing traffic, motioning them to start cutting in other directions. They did so, and after a couple passes, the possession ended in a made layup. It's also worth noting that Megan's team was already up by about 30 when this happened. It underscored to me that (a) she's a smart player as well as an athletically gifted one, and (b) her head remains in the game even when the game itself is out of reach. Both of which will serve her well at UConn, no doubt! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I took a short drive Friday night to watch Megan Walker's conference championship game, and to my untrained eye at least, she was impressive. Her outside jump shot wasn't really on, and she didn't have a great night from the free throw line, but I'm not about to draw any conclusions about those things from just one game. She was great at practically everything else. She was very effective off the dribble and excellent on the fast break, whether leading it herself or running the floor to receive a pass. She's a willing passer, and a good one, when making a pass is the right play. She's also a disruptive defender everywhere on the court: down low, extending pressure up top, pressing full court, you name it. Moreover, she seems to take a lot of pride in her defense. On two occasions, a player Megan was guarding managed to score on her, and both times Megan seemed to take personal offense, charging back down the court like a raging bull, determined to get the two points back. She made a couple nice hustle plays, gliding out of bounds in an effort to save loose balls. And she's obviously a gifted athlete. The ball was stuck between the backboard and rim at one point, and Megan had no trouble at all jumping up and dislodging it.

But my favorite thing I saw her do is something you'll never see on any highlight video, and it's easy to miss in live action unless you ignore the ball and focus your attention on a certain player. During one offensive possession in the third quarter, Megan (without the ball) noticed that two of her teammates (also without the ball) weren't moving to the correct places on the floor. She got their attention and started directing traffic, motioning them to start cutting in other directions. They did so, and after a couple passes, the possession ended in a made layup. It's also worth noting that Megan's team was already up by about 30 when this happened. It underscored to me that (a) she's a smart player as well as an athletically gifted one, and (b) her head remains in the game even when the game itself is out of reach. Both of which will serve her well at UConn, no doubt! :)
Thanks for a great update. Just one question. Can we suit Megan up in a Husky uniform starting Wednesday through the rest of the season? :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thanks for a great update. Just one question. Can we suit Megan up in a Husky uniform starting Wednesday through the rest of the season? :rolleyes:
No, because she might earn POY and that would tick off Wilson and Plum. (I don't know how to include the proper emoji.)

Reaction Score

A bit of Sue Bird in that girl----someone scored on Sue or stole the ball--Sue always got it or the points back. Glad to see Walker is of the same mind set...

Reaction Score
She is obviously talented and we are lucky she chose us.
I usually wait tho. She's in, but how she adapts to Geno is the most important thing.
Took Saniya 3 years of training.
I guess that good thing is that she got it. She's a wonderful player this year, and I'm glad that I have finally been won over.
I have fingers crossed that Megan is all we hoped she'd be.

Reaction Score
A bit of Sue Bird in that girl----someone scored on Sue or stole the ball--Sue always got it or the points back. Glad to see Walker is of the same mind set...
I will think Megan is the combination of Sue and Breanna. She can do almost everything.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will think Megan is the combination of Sue and Breanna. She can do almost everything.
Megan's game has most often been compared to Maya. From what I've seen of Megan's game, the comparison is legitimate. Of course only time will tell whether or not Megan can reach the lofty level of success that Maya achieved.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

images

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Well, that would biolate NCAA rules and call for a two year suspension, so please do.

JS

Reaction Score
Seeking comment. For how long should this thread be kept pinned, prior to the next high school season, when we can have a new thread?

What's up next for the current crop of recruits? All but C. Collier will be on campus this summer. There'll be AAU ball for commits in her class and younger.

Reaction Score
Seeking comment. For how long should this thread be kept pinned, prior to the next high school season, when we can have a new thread?

What's up next for the current crop of recruits? All but C. Collier will be on campus this summer. There'll be AAU ball for commits in her class and younger.
I would like it kept until the end of the season national and state awards are released. After that, a new thread with any updates would be useful.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

My suggestion would be until this year's high school season is completely over, to include McD and other HS allstar games. I truly appreciate the updates by various BY'ers on the play of Walker, Espinosa-Hunter, Gordon & Coombs. Once their done with HS ball, then Charli Collier can be the lead on next year's thread along with Williams, Brunelle, etc. hopefully

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My suggestion would be until this year's high school season is completely over, to include McD and other HS allstar games.

Should be about two more months. However, probably won't need a new thread on the 2018+ recruits before the fall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

We have been creating a new thread about the time the signed players arrive on campus which seems to work well. So I would say around the first week of June. Collier then becomes the only headline for the new thread to be created (at this point, hopefully their are a few more by June 1!!!)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Andra, of course she committed to UConn, she's a "bun wearer". Now someone has to tell her about "the curse of the ponytail."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/22

Mikayla Coombs had 7 assists Wednesday while seeing significant time at point guard in Wesleyan's blowout win. They move on to the state quarters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom