Uconn Football Tweet April 3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn Football Tweet April 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's possible to make UCONN FB at The Rent a "must have" ticket. I think it all starts with W's and an exciting offense. We could wear one of Oregon's 50 possible uniform combos and it won't make a difference if we don't have an average offense, at minimum.

Winning breeds culture, which breeds excitement, which breeds UCFB at The Rent being an event for all. Think JC or Tark and what they both accomplished. JC in a cow town and Tark in a city with a million other venues competing for entertainment dollars.

It's possible. But not easy.
I remember the 2010 game against Pitt. There was as much energy in the stands betweeen Q's 3 & 4 as there has been at any UConn event I've ever attended. The WVU game a couple weeks earlier was almost identical in fan excitement.

We should have a very solid defense before too long. If we can build a competent offense we may be on our way to returning to that.

Wins will do quite a bit.

Reaction Score
I remember the 2010 game against Pitt. There was as much energy in the stands betweeen Q's 3 & 4 as there has been at any UConn event I've ever attended. The WVU game a couple weeks earlier was almost identical in fan excitement.

We should have a very solid defense before too long. If we can build a competent offense we may be on our way to returning to that.

I was at that game and it is literally one of the best memories I've ever had. I'll never forget that night.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Baylor!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Looks like they'll have a third alternative jersey,camouflage
Pay omage to our stong military-ties and history here in Connecticut?? That'd be cool.

Reaction Score
I want to see UConn football climb as high as the basketball programs have just like everyone else and have probably been following UConn sports longer than most that post here. I see where things are and where things are going. Unless UConn football can attract national attention like the basketball programs have they are destined to be on the outside looking in. But... it's not only about the sports. If it was Rutgers wouldn't have been invited into the B1G. It's still about what most perceive UConn is as a institution. They look at it as a state school in the third smallest state in the nation. Is UConn leading the world in cancer research? Space technology? How many world renown scientists, theologians, leaders claim UConn as their Alma Mater? I'm sure the number is growing but lets face facts, UConn is still a new comer onto the scene in many ways.

So lets just enjoy what we can. This year beating the service schools, an out of conference school we aren't expected to beat and a majority of the AAC foes we face would make for a successful, fulfilling season. You want to help make a move to the B1G a reality...contribute to the endowment and show up for the games on time. Nothing spells minor league like empty seats during the first few minutes of a broadcast.

You took a harmless joke and turned it into a tirade about conference realignment.

You took another harmless joke and turned it into an even longer tirade about conference realignment.

Get a grip. I don't need lecture from you on how to support the program, you have no idea the lengths I've gone to support the program.

If you're going to say something like "lets just enjoy what we can" then take a joke for what it is, and stop with @hckin lectures from left field.

Reaction Score
I say this with absolutely no ill will or sarcasm.
1. No one knew what that meant without going to Wikipedia

2. Or factual basis.

Why assume other people share your ignorance? (And I use "ignorance" with no ill will, just the definition of the word).

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Absolutely right. Not sure what the solution is but there better be a Manhattan Project urgency to solving it. Even when we were winning, the culture was not in sync with early seating. Perhaps the extra hour of tailgating will help. Even if I had a drone take an HD photo of the Rent at kickoff and offered to give $1,000 to every fan who was in their seat---on the condition that every seat was occupied, I'd never go into my pocket.

You'd never go into your pocket... unless Michigan fans caught wind of your promotion. They packed the Rent like pros! I can't believe we actually got them to come to East Hartford...

Reaction Score
What are the odds we see the new uni's at the spring game? I can't believe they would keep sending out teaser's until the season started.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Same thing went through my mind as well for some reason....
I was thinking Lobo, myself but I think that you are probably right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's possible to make UCONN FB at The Rent a "must have" ticket. I think it all starts with W's and an exciting offense. We could wear one of Oregon's 50 possible uniform combos and it won't make a difference if we don't have an average offense, at minimum.

Winning breeds culture, which breeds excitement, which breeds UCFB at The Rent being an event for all. Think JC or Tark and what they both accomplished. JC in a cow town and Tark in a city with a million other venues competing for entertainment dollars.

It's possible. But not easy.

Connecticut not having it's own NFL team is similar to Iowa. Iowa fans root for a combination of the Bears, Vikings and Packers, much like UCONN fans root for the Giants, Pats and Jet's. Diaco sees the similarity and the potential for drawing a larger fan base. By developing a winning program, hopes to establish UCONN football in the same vein as Iowa as the de facto NFL team.

I realize that the Demographics are different, however population wise the two states are similar. Obviously Iowa has a much larger land mass. So this serves as a kind of model regarding potential.

The Iowa Hawkeyes draw around 67,000 fans per home game, ranked 23rd among major colleges:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020714aaa.html

POPULATION

IOWA - 3,107,000

5 largest cities:

DesMoines - 207,510
Cedar Rapids 128.429
Davenport 102,429
Siox City 83,459
Iowa City 71,591

CONN -3,597,000

5 largest cities:

Bridgeport - 147,216
New Haven 130,660
Stamford 126,456
Hartford 125,017
Waterbury 109.696

UCONN has the potential to reach 60-70 K fans per game. All we have to do is win!

Reaction Score
Connecticut not having it's own NFL team is similar to Iowa. Iowa fans root for a combination of the Bears, Vikings and Packers, much like UCONN fans root for the Giants, Pats and Jet's. Diaco sees the similarity and the potential for drawing a larger fan base. By developing a winning program, hopes to establish UCONN football in the same vein as Iowa as the de facto NFL team.

I realize that the Demographics are different, however population wise the two states are similar. Obviously Iowa has a much larger land mass. So this serves as a kind of model regarding potential.

The Iowa Hawkeyes draw around 67,000 fans per home game, ranked 23rd among major colleges:

POPULATION

IOWA - 3,107,000

5 largest cities:

DesMoines - 207,510
Cedar Rapids 128.429
Davenport 102,429
Siox City 83,459
Iowa City 71,591

CONN -3,597,000

5 largest cities:

Bridgeport - 147,216
New Haven 130,660
Stamford 126,456
Hartford 125,017
Waterbury 109.696

UCONN has the potential to reach 60-70 K fans per game. All we have to do is win!

Sound theory. The only critique is travel distance. Iowa City (U Iowa) is 220 and 300 miles from Chicago and Minneapolis respectively. East Hartford is 90 and 120 miles from Boston and New York City respectively. Thus, there is more competition for people's time, dollar, and attention in CT than IA. The solution of course if a high quality product. Win games and make the entire game day experience enjoyable without pricing it beyond the average fan's ability (see the NFL) and UConn football shoudl (and has) sold well.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

POPULATION

IOWA - 3,107,000

5 largest cities:

DesMoines - 207,510
Cedar Rapids 128.429
Davenport 102,429
Siox City 83,459
Iowa City 71,591

CONN -3,597,000

5 largest cities:

Bridgeport - 147,216
New Haven 130,660
Stamford 126,456
Hartford 125,017
Waterbury 109.696

Iowa has been in the B1G competing at a higher level for over a generation. They have built up a larger football fanbase in a totally different culture, among people that are far more willing to identify with State U than Connecticut. Two of the 3 largest markets in CT are closer to NYC than East Hartford.

We can get to 45-50s over the next 10-20 years with sustained excellence. But a lot of programs are seeing attendance trend downward with this younger generation. Using the demographics you used to argue we can get the same attendance is superficial at best.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think they're waiting until after the National Championship game to unveil the uniforms. They did the same thing in 2013, I believe. Hopefully they're not another "meh" disappointment.

Reaction Score
Iowa has been in the B1G competing at a higher level for over a generation. They have built up a larger football fanbase in a totally different culture, among people that are far more willing to identify with State U than Connecticut. Two of the 3 largest markets in CT are closer to NYC than East Hartford.

We can get to 45-50s over the next 10-20 years with sustained excellence. But a lot of programs are seeing attendance trend downward with this younger generation. Using the demographics you used to argue we can get the same attendance is superficial at best.

it's gonna take some time and all the stars are going to have to line up.
I found this interesting piece on the Yale Bowl.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/facilities/yale_bowl/index

There have been crowds of over 70,000 on 20 occasions, the most recent on Nov. 19, 1983, for the 100th playing of The Game. The largest crowd to attend a Yale game at the Bowl was 80,000 for Army on Nov. 3, 1923. The 75,300 at the 1981 Yale-Harvard contest was the largest at a sporting event in New England in more than 50 years.

We saw what happened at the Rent for the Michigan game. We start winning and move up and UCONN football could be a hot ticket.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So do we actually know what this is about? Is it definitely uniform changes, or is that just speculation?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I can't believe that in this modern era with all the advances in communications, social media, a 24-hour news cycle, etc... that no one has anymore information on these potential new uni's? Like not The Courant, Des, Jeff Jacobs, the bloggers, no one... really? Someone inside The Burton has to know what's up and has told someone, right?? Let's hope after tonight's game where our women take home another national title, we can focus our attention towards football and get these things out.

Reaction Score
it's gonna take some time and all the stars are going to have to line up.
I found this interesting piece on the Yale Bowl.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/facilities/yale_bowl/index

There have been crowds of over 70,000 on 20 occasions, the most recent on Nov. 19, 1983, for the 100th playing of The Game. The largest crowd to attend a Yale game at the Bowl was 80,000 for Army on Nov. 3, 1923. The 75,300 at the 1981 Yale-Harvard contest was the largest at a sporting event in New England in more than 50 years.

We saw what happened at the Rent for the Michigan game. We start winning and move up and UCONN football could be a hot ticket.

1) the Yale bowl is far closer to the 3 largest cities (and located in the 2nd largest city).
2) The Game has been established over generations. Which reinforces my point about not using Iowa or B1G programs.
3) There were at least 10-15,000 Michigan fans at that game. I have friends who are Michigan fans who drove 3 hours to that game who would never go to another game at the Rent unless it involved Michigan.
4) Totally pointless data. It is data for ONE game, played every other year. What's Yale's attendance the rest of the season?
5) That data is 30+ years old and ignores the more relevant data which shows declining attendance across multiple programs that are closer to being our peer than Yale.

You're right about the winning. No matter what we need to win games. I want the rent to be expanded to 55,000 as much as anyone else. But let's make a rational argument for doing it. Let's point out that the investment made into the program may be a waste if we don't go that extra mile to do everything needed to get an invite into the B1G or ACC. We can be penny wise and pound foolish, or we can upgrade it. It would help if the governor weren't busy giving hundreds of millions of dollars away to corporations while closing community colleges and cutting funding to UConn. Hopefully the team is turned around. A few 9-10 win seasons would do wonders, and even with the competition (if UConn doesn't get greedy and keeps prices static) we'd see a huge increase in attendance.

How about those new uniforms? I'm expecting some sort of hint after the game tonight. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After what Kraft & co. did to Connecticut, there should be at least 2 games a year folks from CT root for the Jets :mad:
Kraft is a snake, but without his snub The Rent doesn't get approved and built practically overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom