UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

And? Lawyers always script things. When you said scripted, I thought you meant her accusations were scripted. If you're talking about the legal stuff, I don't expect victims to write their title 9 cases.

Reaction Score
My only complaint (as to context) is that the initial public accusations (which Allred took and ran with) made it appear that rapes were pervasive throughout UConn's campus and SH was the ringleader in covering things up. The tone of the releases on football player(s) being involved are piling on to the initial release, painting a very ugly picture (which, if eventually proven untrue, will receive zero press to retract the allegations).

Call me old fashioned but I am a firm believer that our women and children should always be protected. If something did happen and the campus police (a female among those behaving this way no less) did attempt to minimize what happened and point blame at the victim, they should be subject to criminal prosecution. I will be stunned if it comes out that the police behaved this way under direction of the school's administration, which is what the press is attempting to imply.

I won't be stunned. Wasn't there a case just this summer at UConn of lower schools employees not reporting allegations up the line? http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/201...rating-with-investigation-of-music-professor/
I don't think Susan Herbst conspired to keep anything a secret, but these rape cases are so common on campuses that I wouldn't at all be surprised by the police response.

Read this too: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/education/amherst-account-of-rape-brings-tension-to-forefront.html

Reaction Score
Question: To whom or what do the Campus Police report?

Campus police are cops the same way any town has cops. They have a Chief. Local police have superiors in the mayor's office. They operate under state and federal laws. The relationship with the university is probably guided the way a mayor deals with his/her local police force.

Reaction Score
Question: To whom or what do the Campus Police report?

Unless it has changed again - the Public Safety Department reports to the EVP for Administration (position used to be called Chief Operating Officer).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is a self interest to not portray campus as anything but safe. Reported rape and other assaults end up in statistical reports on the university. It happens, it's wrong, and that is where the pressure and change efforts should be applied. To try to expand the issue for publicity, financial gain, or gender-based agendas only distracts from the tangible issue.

The remedy is disciplinary action, and training. If a directed policy can be proved, only then does the civil rights aspect come into play.

IMV, this effort has started off on the wrong side of credibility.

Reaction Score
There is a self interest to not portray campus as anything but safe. Reported rape and other assaults end up in statistical reports on the university. It happens, it's wrong, and that is where the pressure and change efforts should be applied. To try to expand the issue for publicity, financial gain, or gender-based agendas only distracts from the tangible issue.

The remedy is disciplinary action, and training. If a directed policy can be proved, only then does the civil rights aspect come into play.

IMV, this effort has started off on the wrong side of credibility.

If I said anything like what the police officer said, I would expect to lose my job.

Reaction Score
If I said anything like what the police officer said, I would expect to lose my job.

And that's the things. Those are ALLEGED comments by the cop. Like a lot of other things in this case it's he said-she said or she said-she said. If true, the cop should lose their job. If false, should rightfully blow a pretty good hole in the litigants' case.

Reaction Score
And that's the things. Those are ALLEGED comments by the cop. Like a lot of other things in this case it's he said-she said or she said-she said. If true, the cop should lose their job. If false, should rightfully blow a pretty good hole in the litigants' case.

The university has already shown it is singularly disinterested in investigating the cop.

Anyone with daughters should take no quarter in this fight because the attitude toward sexual assault is atrocious on college campuses (never mind the rest of society). Especially college campuses though where you have a hothouse atmosphere full of bros.

Reaction Score
The university has already shown it is singularly disinterested in investigating the cop.

Anyone with daughters should take no quarter in this fight because the attitude toward s e xual assault is atrocious on college campuses (never mind the rest of society). Especially college campuses though where you have a hothouse atmosphere full of bros.

I hope I have misunderstood your comment but that seems to be pretty racist.

Reaction Score
I hope I have misunderstood your comment but that seems to be pretty racist.

Bro.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bro

1. bro
Obnoxious partying males who are often seen at college parties. When they aren’t making an ass of themselves they usually just stand around holding a red plastic cup waiting for something exciting to happen so they can scream something that demonstrates how much they enjoy partying. Nearly everyone in a fraternity is a bro but there are also many bros who are not in a fraternity. They often wear a rugby shirt and a baseball cap. It is not uncommon for them to have spiked hair with frosted tips.

Bros actually chose this name for themselves as they often refer to each other as "bro" even though they are not related.
I couldn't go to sleep last night because some bros at the party next door kept screaming, "Whoooooo!!! YEAAHHHHH! Whooooooo!"

4_popped-collars_cool.jpg

damn-bro-you-finally-got-the-perfect-shade-140.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I haven't read every detail of the case but this cop hasn't been spoken to by superiors or others at UConn?

Reaction Score
I haven't read every detail of the case but this cop hasn't been spoken to by superiors or others at UConn?

What do you mean by spoken to? Like, "Don't do that?" The proper response would be to fire the person.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Has anyone read the actual complaint? It appears at least 2 of the plaintiffs have very legitimate claims supported by objective evidence, 1 is in a gray area, and one of the plaintiffs is attempting to hold UConn responsible for activities by foreign nationals that occurred in a foreign country.

My question after reading this is: why is UConn financially responsible for this? There are criminal and direct civil avenues for redress against the assailants. There may even by a civil rights case that can be made against the assailants. Why is UConn responsible?

Reaction Score
Has anyone read the actual complaint? It appears at least 2 of the plaintiffs have very legitimate claims supported by objective evidence, 1 is in a gray area, and one of the plaintiffs is attempting to hold UConn responsible for activities by foreign nationals that occurred in a foreign country.

My question after reading this is: why is UConn financially responsible for this? There are criminal and direct civil avenues for redress against the assailants. There may even by a civil rights case that can be made against the assailants. Why is UConn responsible?

http://knowyourix.org/title-ix/title-ix-the-basics/

3. Schools must be proactive in ensuring that your campus is free of sex discrimination. You are protected under Title IX even if you do not experience sex discrimination directly. Schools must take immediate steps to address any sex discrimination, sexual harassment or sexual violence happening on campus to prevent it from affecting students further. If a school knows or reasonably should know about discrimination, harassment or violence that is creating a “hostile environment” for any student, it must act to eliminate it, remedy the harm caused and prevent its recurrence.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The problem I see is that the plaintiffs never established that the sexual violence happened. I am not saying that it did not happen, because I think it is very likely that two of the women were raped, but what I think doesn't matter. Nothing has been proven. Simply saying "I am a victim of some crime, now pay me", is not how the legal system should or does work. They are essentially suing UConn because UConn police did not accept their statements as fact, or in 2 cases, suing UConn because UConn police did not have appropriate jurisdiction for a crime.

Incorporating a fourth "victim", who appears to have some serious credibility issues just based on her own version of events, doesn't help the case in the court of law or legal opinion. I don't understand why she is even in the case. Does Title IX require 4 or more plaintiffs to establish a class?

I feel terrible for at least two of the plaintiffs, but it seems to me that the re-victimization of those women is being perpetrated by a showboating lawyer, not UConn.

Reaction Score
May some post a link to the actual Complaint filed in Federal Court.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by spoken to? Like, "Don't do that?" The proper response would be to fire the person.

The proper response would be to fire the person IF it can be verified that is what they said after an investigation. You know, that quaint notion of due process and all. Still want to know how UConn addressed this with the cop

I respect your overall stance upstater. Sexual assault and domestic violence should be severely punished when claims are proven are true. I get that it's not easy for victims to come forward (although why Ricci did not seek medical treatment after this ALLEGED act is baffling). If UConn enabled the bad guys here, shame on them. Herbst has put her presidency on the line by saying these allegations were properly addressed. If that's proven false, then she should pay the price.

But we've seen too many cases like this -- not just Duke lacrosse -- where the allegations were unfounded. Using Gloria Allred as a champion, IMO, hurts rather than helps their case. Then just throwing out "a football player raped me" without any more specifics or evidence indicts a whole lot of innocent people who have no connection to this case. What if I said "the Women's Center is misusing state funds?" -- not equating rape with fraud, BTW -- but charging a large group of people when at best only 1 or 2 may or may not have committed the act.

Reaction Score
The proper response would be to fire the person IF it can be verified that is what they said after an investigation. You know, that quaint notion of due process and all. Still want to know how UConn addressed this with the cop

I respect your overall stance upstater. s e xual assault and domestic violence should be severely punished when claims are proven are true. I get that it's not easy for victims to come forward (although why Ricci did not seek medical treatment after this ALLEGED act is baffling). If UConn enabled the bad guys here, shame on them. Herbst has put her presidency on the line by saying these allegations were properly addressed. If that's proven false, then she should pay the price.

But we've seen too many cases like this -- not just Duke lacrosse -- where the allegations were unfounded. Using Gloria Allred as a champion, IMO, hurts rather than helps their case. Then just throwing out "a football player raped me" without any more specifics or evidence indicts a whole lot of innocent people who have no connection to this case. What if I said "the Women's Center is misusing state funds?" -- not equating rape with fraud, BTW -- but charging a large group of people when at best only 1 or 2 may or may not have committed the act.

I provided plenty of links previously showing the schools are at fault. Whether Ricci's case is real or not is totally irrelevant for me given how often this happens, even at UConn.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I get that it's not easy for victims to come forward (although why Ricci did not seek medical treatment after this ALLEGED act is baffling).
It's not baffling at all. People who are the victims of physical and/or psychological trauma don't always act logically.

Reaction Score
I provided plenty of links previously showing the schools are at fault. Whether Ricci's case is real or not is totally irrelevant for me given how often this happens, even at UConn.

So it's OK to highly publicize a claim of rape and bring in Allred even if it's not true just to further the cause? Ends justify the means? Wow

Dude this is the Internet. Don't just provide links and make people wade through stuff. You can pull out the bullet points.

I bet it's not "irrelevant" to the player whose name will eventually become known (if it's not already in the UConn campus social media world). And you still haven't said what leads you to believe UConn has not investigated the cop for the alleged insensitive statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom