UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But this does happen and cannot be ignored as a possibility. Not that every woman lies about being attacked and reports shouldn't be taken seriously, but I completely understand how some people can be skeptical about girls outing alleged in-the-spotlight attackers when stuff like this goes down:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/brian-banks-ca-football-p_n_1543992.html

This man's life is, as many other have been, ruined, and it doesn't even take conviction to at ruin a reputation forever. Just the accusation can be enough for the man to become ridiculed. It's an instant guilty verdict with no way of even proving innocence.

Doesn't excuse UConn's reaction though. It's a shame everyone isn't honest or else these cases would be a lot easier

Right, but the problem is, what can we do? Because sometimes people falsely accuse should we automatically disregard all accusations of sexual assault that can't be "proven"? What does proof even look like? Because you do realize that proof and consensual intercourse can look identical, right? So how do you protect the alleged victims while also protecting against possible false accusations?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Right, but the problem is, what can we do? Because sometimes people falsely accuse should we automatically disregard all accusations of s e xual assault that can't be "proven"? What does proof even look like? Because you do realize that proof and consensual intercourse can look identical, right? So how do you protect the alleged victims while also protecting against possible false accusations?

-First we can stop trying to turn an assault into a battle of the sexes and treat it as the criminal complaint that it is.

-Second, we can stop creating a standard where a university has to prevent all crime on it's campus, as a portion of this suit is suggesting.

-The history of all campus PD's is an old town/gown issue that should be fixed but won't, so I won't address it. Just understand how it affects crime investigation and prosecution.

-Continue educating students on risk and behavior management on campus. I remember sitting through at least one a year in college. Covered everything from drinking, study habits, public safety, and yes, date rape.

- Add educational programs so victims know what they should do in the event they are assaulted. Tick off the list, create a website if necessary.

- Cover risk management behavior. It may be taboo to suggest the victims actions at all contribute, but short of a random assault, there are scenarios where preventative actions could prevent attacks. Not saying the attacker is less at fault or mitigates in anyway the attack. It is just risk management and being aware of your surroundings. You'd like to think you are safe on campus, but the fact is you are in a small city that has crime like any other.

I could go into a rant about how we teach our boys to win/achieve/be aggressive and our girls to fantasize about princesses (I hate Disney) and marriage but that would go on forever. Just acknowledge that this 'culture' term I despise occurs long before any freshman arrives on campus. And is about ingrained as social behavior gets in humans. Best of luck solving this that way.

- Certify anyone who might be involved in such cases on correct protocols. Comments like the one reported are out of bounds unless they are accepted procedure as part of assessing the case evidence.

- Acknowledge the outside police options.

I was unfortunate enough to go to school in a neighborhood nowhere near as safe as Storrs and I witnessed and was a victim of more crime in my time there than the rest of my life put together. If the standard is "feeling safe" then I can't support this current effort at all because that is an unfair standard impossible for the University system to meet and exposes this as a further exploitation of any victims.

Reaction Score
- Certify anyone who might be involved in such cases on correct protocols. Comments like the one reported are out of bounds unless they are accepted procedure as part of assessing the case evidence.

This seems to me the only truly relevant point. Schools do not have such procedures in place.

But what comment are you referring to?

Reaction Score
While I do feel outrage about cases of false accusation, it does disrupt their lives, reputations etc, I feel 5,983,751,207,879 times more outrage on behalf all of the actual victims of assault around the world who can't get justice, for whatever institutional, cultural, religious, political reasons. I also think that if you can create a culture of respect and responsibility, you can significantly cut down the potential for false accusations.

Why do we have to compare outrages? I know people who have been raped, without anyone being prosecuted, and I know people who have been wrongly accused, without anyone being prosecuted. I have to say one is worse than the other? How about there is no place for either of them?

Beyond noting what are societal problems, it is dumb to be having this discussion when enough facts have not been released to discuss it intelligently. And the fact that Gloria Allred is involved is not a fact that tells you much of anything.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
This seems to me the only truly relevant point. Schools do not have such procedures in place.

But what comment are you referring to?

The alleged peanut butter comment. The reporting process for victims is incredibly difficult and yet necessary. Not being in law enforcement, I would imagine part of that process is assessing the veracity of such a serious claim. If.accurate, such a comment is probably out of line, but there must be some protocol after the initial report on how the investigation proceeds.

Reaction Score
The alleged peanut butter comment. The reporting process for victims is incredibly difficult and yet necessary. Not being in law enforcement, I would imagine part of that process is assessing the veracity of such a serious claim. If.accurate, such a comment is probably out of line, but there must be some protocol after the initial report on how the investigation proceeds.

Probably?

I was confused because you wrote "unless they are accepted procedure." How could they be procedure?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Probably?

I was confused because you wrote "unless they are accepted procedure." How could they be procedure?

I would expect law enforcement at some juncture to test the authenticity of the claim or at the very least collect statements and ask questions to ascertain the facts surrounding the case. Obviously this is a delicate task, not wanting to put the alleged victim through any more trauma, but the justice system requires it.

I assume SOP is to ask questions relating to the time line surrounding the attack because context is important to the criminal prosecution. The PB comment surely crossed a line, but it may have been a result of poor training and/or a jaded officer who shouldn't be at that job.

The complaint assumes such questions are policy or negligently allowed by the University. Short of written evidence or employee testimony, I think that is difficult to prove.

Reaction Score
I would expect law enforcement at some juncture to test the authenticity of the claim or at the very least collect statements and ask questions to ascertain the facts surrounding the case. Obviously this is a delicate task, not wanting to put the alleged victim through any more trauma, but the justice system requires it.

I assume SOP is to ask questions relating to the time line surrounding the attack because context is important to the criminal prosecution. The PB comment surely crossed a line, but it may have been a result of poor training and/or a jaded officer who shouldn't be at that job.

The complaint assumes such questions are policy or negligently allowed by the University. Short of written evidence or employee testimony, I think that is difficult to prove.

The lack of policy is the problem, rather than policy.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The lack of policy is the problem, rather than policy.

It's probably a little of both. It is a unique accusation with little in the way of witnesses, clear physical evidence, and pre-existing relationships with all the interactions and emotions associated with them. Not a job I'd want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom