UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault | The Boneyard

UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Says "was a player....". Not that it makes it any better. Just another kick in the nuts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Re-victimized? I'm done unless there is actual evidence of willful ignorance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This thread will be gone soon, but I'm starting to understand what those posters meant by rape culture.

Reaction Score
This thread will be gone soon, but I'm starting to understand what those posters meant by rape culture.

Nobody has to preface any of their comments. Rape is wrong and the person or persons who did it (if they did) need to be prosecuted. That's a given.

But until there is proof I'm not going to convict anyone. While rape is way under reported, there are also innocent people who are accused.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Nobody has to preface any of their comments. Rape is wrong and the person or persons who did it (if they did) need to be prosecuted. That's a given.

But until there is proof I'm not going to convict anyone. While rape is way under reported, there are also innocent people who are accused.

There won't be a more accurate and logical response to this thread than this.

Give it a "like" and move on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

That's a reasonable stance.

Two of the first three comments pretty much said the plaintiffs are full of with absolutely no actual knowledge of the situation.

Reaction Score
Says "was a player....". Not that it makes it any better. Just another kick in the nuts.

I read that as "was" because it happened in the past (incident occurred in September 2011 - reported in April 2013).

What bothers me most about these types of unnamed allegations is the air of suspicion that hangs over the rest of team (other than the Frosh, RS Frosh and Soph?). Unknown to the vast majority of people in the mean time is whether the player is still @ UConn and on the team.

Horrible all around.

Reaction Score
So you think a school official would tell someone to not go to police? That's the part I said was BS, but maybe that seems plausible to you.

It also alleges this, which seems like crap:

""The lawsuit alleges discrimination based on gender and retaliation in violation of Title IX, which guarantees equal educational opportunities to students at schools that receive federal funds. It seeks unspecified monetary damages and changes in university policies."

"This is not about whether rape or s e xual assault occurred," Allred said. "This is about whether the university has complied with its legal obligations under Title IX in the handling of reports of rape and/or s e xual assault, and that's very different."
"Most people don't even know this is possible … because it's a relatively new area of the law," she said. "This is the pioneering stage."

This is not a rape case, this is about the school not following proper procedure and a gender bias allegation as if the school is anti-women. But I guess Whaler believes it. The school is guilty until proven innocent. It's always nice when they say its not about money but of course they want money.

You need to find and read the actual lawsuit that was filed today... My sense is it won't change your opinion but may give you some pause (or maybe not) on passing judgement either way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you think a school official would tell someone to not go to police? That's the part I said was BS, but maybe that seems plausible to you.

It also alleges this, which seems like crap:

""The lawsuit alleges discrimination based on gender and retaliation in violation of Title IX, which guarantees equal educational opportunities to students at schools that receive federal funds. It seeks unspecified monetary damages and changes in university policies."

"This is not about whether rape or s e xual assault occurred," Allred said. "This is about whether the university has complied with its legal obligations under Title IX in the handling of reports of rape and/or s e xual assault, and that's very different."
"Most people don't even know this is possible … because it's a relatively new area of the law," she said. "This is the pioneering stage."

This is not a rape case, this is about the school not following proper procedure and a gender bias allegation as if the school is anti-women. But I guess Whaler believes it. The school is guilty until proven innocent. It's always nice when they say its not about money but of course they want money.

I believe the court can decide. You deciding out of hand that it's impossible with no knowledge of the situation... and deciding it's about money - is exactly the kind of behavior those nice people referenced in the last thread.

As for your first question - having an admin tell people not to go to the cops is probably the single most believable part. Don't have an opinion if it is true or not - but do I believe that has happened at schools - absolutely 100%.

Reaction Score
I believe the court can decide. You deciding out of hand that it's impossible with no knowledge of the situation... and deciding it's about money - is exactly the kind of behavior those nice people referenced in the last thread.

As for your first question - having an admin tell people not to go to the cops is probably the single most believable part. Don't have an opinion if it is true or not - but do I believe that has happened at schools - absolutely 100%.

Well if their policy is to tell someone that claims they are a rape victim to not go to the cops, they should be sued. I hope that is not true and find it hard to believe.

Reaction Score
I actually heard about such a mentality amongst football players at UConn quite a while ago from someone who was a student, if I am recalling correctly. If this proves true, we're duckked.

Reaction Score
You need to find and read the actual lawsuit that was filed today... My sense is it won't change your opinion but may give you some pause (or maybe not) on passing judgement either way.

I did some digging. I now wish I never commented on this thread and apologize.

C

Chief00

http://espn.go.com/college-football...n-huskies-football-player-accused-sex-assault

Angell says she went to police herself after her attacker returned to campus and a female police officer told her, "Women need to stop spreading their legs like peanut butter or rape is going to keep happening until the cows come home."

I know Attorney Gloria Allred is known in the legal profession as more of a publicity hound than a good trial lawyer - but if the above conversation is true UConn has a problem in the police dept. I believe this case isn't about the actual merits of the parties involved in the various incidents and who is telling the truth but how the University handles the mess. Granted sometimes it is difficult to separate the two and the police officer's private opinion may be on target in some cases, but try defending that?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...huskies-football-player-accused-s e x-assault

Angell says she went to police herself after her attacker returned to campus and a female police officer told her, "Women need to stop spreading their legs like peanut butter or rape is going to keep happening until the cows come home."

I know Attorney Gloria Allred is known in the legal profession as more of a publicity hound than a good trial lawyer - but if the above conversation is true UConn has a problem in the police dept.

Chief.

You are correct on both counts. Allred is a publicity hound (I would have used a less friendly term) and if the above did happen, the university has a severe problem with their police.

It would be very helpful (in allowing the public to form an opinion that matches what really did happen) if some context was included in the statements that ESPN and other media outlets have issued on this. Unfortunately we will receive a black eye as the implication is that the worst possibility is what did happen.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested to hear bizlaw's take on this.

Here's mine: This is completely gutless on Rose Ricci's part and damages her credibility, that of her other litigants and trivializes an important issue. Her "I feel invalidated all over again" sounds very hollow, melodramatic and if it was scripted at the Women's Center. Unless Rose and other produce credible evidence sometime very soon we are sprinting into Duke lacrosse territory.

Hey Rose -- quit playing games. Tell us who this SUPPOSED attacker was and the circumstances (dating or not, alcohol involved, etc. etc) You've come forward to identify yourself as an ALLEGED victim. Don't make all the players suspects.

I have a 19-year-old daughter. I can't imagine what I what would do if something like this happened to her. But I'm pretty sure if I was confident she had a legitimate case I wouldn't let her traipse all over campus and the media as a tool of the evil Gloria Allred.

Reaction Score
I hope UCONN understands the importance of proper handling of this issue(s). Presently hindered by Privacy Laws, it can't mount a public defense. UCONN has to make sure that
the world understands that it is taking the allegations very seriously; to the point of using outside agencies to learn the truth. There should be no hint of soft-soap or any attempt to tarnish the accusers. Being seen as doing the right thing if there's a "win" or some or all of the allegations are proven true will go a long way in determining how UCONN is perceived. Staying classy will provide an immediate, effective and positive comparison to Ms. Allred. SH, I think is the perfect dignified, but kick-ass, counter-point to Allred.

Reaction Score
Ruskin - it was scripted. There is a whole underground movement to bring this issue to the forefront of the the higher education crowd and the public's mind. UConn is just one campus of many (USC, Emerson., Dartmouth, Swarthmore, Occidental, Uconn, etc...) where Title IX complaints are being dropped. It's become a cottage industry.

http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-title-nine-1027-20131026,0,7588288.story

But unfortunately - bad things do happen on campuses at times and shouldn't get diminished by TMZ type publicity stunts.

Reaction Score
The evidence as reviewed by the legal system will determine guilt or not without us knowing who, what, when, why, and how.

I don't think we need to know specifics of the case or have the alleged victims identify the yet to be named perpetrators.

Haven't we heard enough how social networks go viral with comments from idiots who like to bully anyone about anything.....and sometimes the unfortunate result of stress caused by unwarranted bullying.

To me its like victimizing the families of Newtown students killed all over again because we need to know details that are none of our business.

I will say that if the reports of what a female officer said is true, she should be terminated.......I don't need to know her name either.

Reaction Score
Here's mine: This is completely gutless on Rose Ricci's part and damages her credibility, that of her other litigants and trivializes an important issue. Her "I feel invalidated all over again" sounds very hollow, melodramatic and if it was scripted at the Women's Center.

I think you have some issues here. Women's Centers script things like this?

Reaction Score
I don't doubt any of these women in the least. I've lived on college campuses for way too long.
and before you say that the claims are unbelievable, what makes UConn any different than the countless other places that this goes on.

Look what Mark Emmert did in the Roc Alexander case when it was shown an administrator buried rapes under the rug and blamed the victims? Nothing. The administrator didn't lose his job. Same thing happened at Syracuse in the Bobby Davis-Bernie Fine case. Do you remember when Peyton Manning put his balls, grundle and rooster on the manager-trainer's face? Even his friend wrote a letter to tell him how wrong he was for doing that. But he got off free. In the Nate Miles case, the girl went to court and secured an order against Miles (which he promptly violated). If she hadn't done that, I'd bet Miles would have continued on as a student.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My only complaint (as to context) is that the initial public accusations (which Allred took and ran with) made it appear that rapes were pervasive throughout UConn's campus and SH was the ringleader in covering things up. The tone of the releases on football player(s) being involved are piling on to the initial release, painting a very ugly picture (which, if eventually proven untrue, will receive zero press to retract the allegations).

Call me old fashioned but I am a firm believer that our women and children should always be protected. If something did happen and the campus police (a female among those behaving this way no less) did attempt to minimize what happened and point blame at the victim, they should be subject to criminal prosecution. I will be stunned if it comes out that the police behaved this way under direction of the school's administration, which is what the press is attempting to imply.

Reaction Score
I think you have some issues here. Women's Centers script things like this?

Ruskin - it was scripted. There is a whole underground movement to bring this issue to the forefront of the the higher education crowd and the public's mind. UConn is just one campus of many (USC, Emerson., Dartmouth, Swarthmore, Occidental, Uconn, etc...) where Title IX complaints are being dropped. It's become a cottage industry.
http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-title-nine-1027-20131026,0,7588288.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom