Uconn First Night 2022 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Uconn First Night 2022

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand the logic of not having this event open to the general public. They’re overthinking something VERY simple
probably safety/security reasons.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have never met a bigger group of complainers. It's a silly sideshow so the college kids can get drunk after midterms. The septegenarians on the yard are not the target audience here or it would have been at 4pm and included access to werther's originals. Good grief
A silly sideshow with a sold out crowd of students and season ticket holders, with many more tuning in online. So clearly people care, to suggest otherwise makes you sound like Chief. It shouldn’t be this hard to put on first night, it’s sad fans are being talked down to on the subject instead of the athletic department, who somehow messes this up every single year.

Reaction Score
For those asking why no scrimmage you need to watch and listen to the gwhusky/Hurley interview (which was very good) Coach said they will be tired at First Night because this day is considered an allowed practice day so prior to the event they would be practicing hard. Included in the pre-event practice was to be a full scrimmage with referees.

First night used to be good for the fan who wanted a glimpse of the newbies and the growth of last years players. It’s been a long time since this event is anything to look forward to for those type of expectations. Really since it’s combined with the ladies. As someone said it’s for the kids on campus pretty much. Is what it is, not much!

Reaction Score
I have never met a bigger group of complainers. It's a silly sideshow so the college kids can get drunk after midterms. The septegenarians on the yard are not the target audience here or it would have been at 4pm and included access to werther's originals. Good grief

Right. This is what almost every team does now, and almost every on-line fan group complains about it. I agree that there was something very cool about a true Midnight Madness across the sport, but that time has long since passed, so I adjust my expectations and move on. Not everything is for everybody. I think these things are kind of awkward and weird, but it is not FOR me. The players put on their uniforms, have some fun in front of a crowd for the first time in a while, take lots of selfies, then go out after. College!

The coaches don’t want to mess around with any kind of scrimmage the day they had full practices, which makes sense. I wish they had the event where they introduced the players, they threw up some shots, and then some rapper known mostly to college students came out and did a few songs with the team on stage. Maybe then people could adjust their expectations that this has little to do with basketball. They did it that way at URI when Dan was there, but I am guessing UConn likes to keep it basketball-ish only?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Glad I didn’t go. Also glad I didn’t pay for Flosports. What a crappy production that was.
Came away with 2 images:
1. AJ with the bowling ball on his hand
2. Dolson with the well deserved low scores- LOL

So… scrimmage please?

Reaction Score
First night used to be awesome, even the scrimmage versus the rec champs circa 2008 when I was a freshman was better than this. Glad I didnt go, at this point waiting on the date/time for the open practice (still hoping there is one).
Is open practice gonna be for season ticket holders only also?

Reaction Score
Wow, trying to be fair but that was a amateurish event that had no flow and like others have said the sound was horrible. I didnt care for the announcer/ host and thought Renee Montgomery did a much better job being related and a good fit for this type event. Was glad to see Sampson didnt get injured and was really impressed with Karaban and his outside shooting. Nahiem Alleyne has a very unorthodox shot kinda reminded me of old school Knicks Dick Barnett. After hearing the sideline interview with Geno it became very clear to me he put down any thoughts of any style game or faced paced drills to avoid injuries, cant blame him.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Wow, trying to be fair but that was a amateurish event that had no flow and like others have said the sound was horrible. I didnt care for the announcer/ host and thought Renee Montgomery did a much better job being related and a good fit for this type event. Was glad to see Sampson didnt get injured and was really impressed with Karaban and his outside shooting. Nahiem Alleyne has a very unorthodox shot kinda reminded me of old school Knicks Dick Barnett. After hearing the sideline interview with Geno it became very clear to me he put down any thoughts of any style game or faced paced drills to avoid injuries, cant blame him.
Impressed with the Dick Barnett reference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You'll have to canvas other septuagenarians in this forum.

I only can speak for this sub casual septuagenarian and spouse. The content of First Night didn't matter. My wife and I were stoked. For us it's the official start of the season. We got to see Gampel, the crowd of students, the band, the cheer and dance team, the alumni players and, most importantly of all, the players. With so many new players it was more special than ever. As the events were going on we kept on commenting how much we felt like teenagers again.

This doesn't mean that we preferred this format to the original midnight madness scrimmages that took place for the men and women's teams on separate nights. We don't. We just chose not to let the change ruin our excitement.

As an aside doesn't your first sentence count as a complaint? I recognize the distinguishing difference that you are not complaining about the event but the complainers of the event. It still adds to a list of complaints. You're too young to be cranky. Crankiness should be the purview of us old folks whether we're informed, casual, sub casual, bench warmers, end of bench warmers or water boy fans. So stay out of our territory young man.

Reaction Score
I only can speak for this sub casual septuagenarian and spouse. The content of First Night didn't matter. My wife and I were stoked. For us it's the official start of the season. We got to see Gampel, the crowd of students, the band, the cheer and dance team, the alumni players and, most importantly of all, the players. With so many new players it was more special than ever. As the events were going on we kept on commenting how much we felt like teenagers again.

This doesn't mean that we preferred this format to the original midnight madness scrimmages that took place for the men and women's teams on separate nights. We don't. We just chose not to let the change ruin our excitement.

Yes, this is the perfect approach, imo. Glad you enjoyed your evening!

Reaction Score
The production was pretty amateurish. The students had a blast though. Walked right past DC. Not only tall but will occupy some space. It was nice to be there, pick up some new gear, see some new building, have a couple at Ted’s. Probably won’t go again but was nice seeing things.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. The septegenarians on the Boneyard were right. Those students seemed to be having a TERRIBLE time at First Night. Scrap the whole thing!
Just FYI, you're not remotely as witty as you imagine yourself to be. At least the "sEpTeGeNaRiAnS" have an excuse. What's yours ?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. The septegenarians on the Boneyard were right.
Don't blame the old timers. The biggest whiners seem to be decades younger.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the old timers. The biggest whiners seem to be decades younger.

I don't disagree. I've also dug in my heels enough that I'm getting complaints from posters I've never even seen before at this point, and I'm riding this wave. A

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom