UCONN emerging as "heavy favorite" for Samuelson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN emerging as "heavy favorite" for Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What WCBB needs is not parity per se, but a higher level of play and coaching. To cite some non-UConn individuals, we need more coaches like Tara and Jeff and more players like Candace, Seimone, Catch, Nneka, et al.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Certainly with Boykin and Collier already committed, you'd think UConn has a great shot at Katie Lou. I just wonder what John A.'s tweet is based on. Unless it comes from Katie Lou herself, I don't put much stock in it.

She has still yet to take the rest of her officials. A lot can change. Nonetheless, things are looking ominous for the rest of WBB.
Orang- i just read an article somewhere recently that KLS's two main coaches, HS and AAU I guess, both guess that she is already down to UC & ND. they both say she wants to go to college ad win championships. Not sure if you read the same article already. Thought I would share if you hadn't.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What WCBB needs is not parity per se, but a higher level of play and coaching. To cite some non-UConn individuals, we need more coaches like Tara and Jeff and more players like Candace, Seimone, Catch, Nneka, et al.

I think there is already a fair amount of parity. It's just not at the very top, but might not be all that far beneath the surface. UConn's success this year I think is a little misleading as to the over all status of parity. In a given year, the actual NC might not be so obvious. In 2013, UConn was not the favorite and it can be reasonably argued that LVille did UConn a major favor by taking out Baylor. When Texas A&M won (and neither UConn, nor ND, nor Stanford nor Tennessee etc won) it wasn't all that obvious as to who would win. Even this year, lots of people thought ND was a proper challenger and it's too bad they lost their center to muddy the water.

It's no doubt true that UConn, over the last decade plus is never far from the top, but even UConn doesn't win every year, several other programs stay relevant to championship possibilities, and other programs surface regularly to get some notice. It's also true that 4 or 5 other programs get enough talent every year so that a UConn can't outright dominate by default. True that players like Stewart, Moore, Taurasi and Bird are great weapons, and are surrounded by talent, but at times Duke has had that sort of situation, as have ND and a few others, but don't exactly put it all together the same way. It does take something extra, and it really looks like GA is that something.

For those too young or disinterested, when UCLA under Wooden won the NC in 10 of 12 years, it was true that he typically had a roster full of AAs. Arguably, that made his teams even more remarkable, because just like GA, his roster of great individual offensive talent put aside personal goals and played the best team basketball in the country. Like our women, his teams lived off of stifling defense. Getting a lot of talent in one place certainly helps, but it does not assure great team play or an annual commitment to a common goal. That's what truly distinguishes UConn and it it seems it isn't all that easy to replicate by other coaches. If by "parity" the doomsdayers mean that UConn is a problem, I'm afraid that so long as GA is around, they will never be out of the championship discussion provided his teams stay relatively free of key injuries.

Reaction Score
This was posted by none other than horde member John Altivilla. Credit where credit is due. John - you helped make a bunch of UCONN fans really happy... I know lots can happen between "now and then". Also credit to Cat for finding this tweet. She had it buried in another thread (about Boykin) but I thought it deserved it's own for obvious reasons...

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 2h
More good news: #UConnwomen emerging as heavy favorite to get @33katielou Katie Lou Samuelson. But that announcement months away

Reaction Score
Don't bet on it just yet. We thought we were getting Chiney O and she went to Stanford with her sister. Diamond is (was) staying in the Carolinas; ditto A'ja. EDD got homesick. Lots of 'em just want to stay near home these days.

Reaction Score
I think it's great for the game. Look at other sports that have had, or continue to have, dynasties. They are great for the sport. Some dynasties are hated, others tolerated, others truly liked. UCONN and its' players are very likable. When you have the men and women winning NC's in the same year TWICE in history, and both times it was UCONN doing it, you set the gold standard for who the very best aspire to play with and for. Just one reason why UCONN continues to recruit, and sign, the very best players in WCBB.

I fail to see how on earth it could be bad for the game. It raises the publicity (just like the win streak), forces other teams to work even harder to reach and aspire to UCONN's level, and gets WCBB talked about. And we are often hearing about "newer" fans who tuned in and appreciated the way UCONN teams play.

Let's be honest - if you don't like women's sports, you won't be able to appreciate what UCONN does. There's no comparison to the NBA or MCBB because women simply can't play above the rim like the men can. Sportscenter's top 10 is always riddled with "OMG what a great dunk" plays.

I really don't think that parity would make WCBB any more interesting to the rest of the nation in general. I also think every few years or so there will be another team to win it all (Baylor, aTm, etc), and you will also get programs who put together great teams who will rise to challenge (UCLA might be the next team to do so).

The whole "good for the game" nonsense came from jealous orange fans. I don't hear Duke, ND, L'ville, Baylor, or other top programs having their fans whine and complain about it...

ERIC: another gem from you . Am especially in agreement with your opening two paragraphs.

Reaction Score
I think there is already a fair amount of parity. It's just not at the very top, but might not be all that far beneath the surface. UConn's success this year I think is a little misleading as to the over all status of parity. In a given year, the actual NC might not be so obvious. In 2013, UConn was not the favorite and it can be reasonably argued that LVille did UConn a major favor by taking out Baylor. When Texas A&M won (and neither UConn, nor ND, nor Stanford nor Tennessee etc won) it wasn't all that obvious as to who would win. Even this year, lots of people thought ND was a proper challenger and it's too bad they lost their center to muddy the water.

It's no doubt true that UConn, over the last decade plus is never far from the top, but even UConn doesn't win every year, several other programs stay relevant to championship possibilities, and other programs surface regularly to get some notice. It's also true that 4 or 5 other programs get enough talent every year so that a UConn can't outright dominate by default. True that players like Stewart, Moore, Taurasi and Bird are great weapons, and are surrounded by talent, but at times Duke has had that sort of situation, as have ND and a few others, but don't exactly put it all together the same way. It does take something extra, and it really looks like GA is that something.

For those too young or disinterested, when UCLA under Wooden won the NC in 10 of 12 years, it was true that he typically had a roster full of AAs. Arguably, that made his teams even more remarkable, because just like GA, his roster of great individual offensive talent put aside personal goals and played the best team basketball in the country. Like our women, his teams lived off of stifling defense. Getting a lot of talent in one place certainly helps, but it does not assure great team play or an annual commitment to a common goal. That's what truly distinguishes UConn and it it seems it isn't all that easy to replicate by other coaches. If by "parity" the doomsdayers mean that UConn is a problem, I'm afraid that so long as GA is around, they will never be out of the championship discussion provided his teams stay relatively free of key injuries.

COHEN: You're on a roll today...another gem.

Reaction Score
Don't bet on it just yet. We thought we were getting Chiney O and she went to Stanford with her sister. Diamond is (was) staying in the Carolinas; ditto A'ja. EDD got homesick. Lots of 'em just want to stay near home these days.

BILL: the stats bear you out, and this is a good caution in the midst of some (at least my) euphoria. I would make the point, for discussion purposes,, that our coaching staff and most of the Yarders prefer the kids who bring maturity to the table....and being able to leave the nest could be seen as one sign of that??

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orang- i just read an article somewhere recently that KLS's two main coaches, HS and AAU I guess, both guess that she is already down to UC & ND. they both say she wants to go to college ad win championships. Not sure if you read the same article already. Thought I would share if you hadn't.

Yes, I saw that. From what I've read about KLS, she is good enough that she can win championships at either school, though the challenge would likely be greater to do so at Notre Dame.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's get real hypothetical:

If, if, if, we get Bonnie and the kid from Georgtown transfers.
Then there could well be championships as far as the eye can see.
And with Geno headed for Olympic glory with a team chock full of alumnus.

Sure, not everyone will want to come to sunny Ct. But enough to seriously reload yearly.

Conclusion: it would appear that this season is everyone's best chance …with the possibility of Morgan and Gabby at less than 100%.
I'm not a betting man, but I think we would still win…and fairly easily.

There could be a tipping point during which other coaches moan and get discouraged big time.
And it would require a female take on Johnny Podres and Sandy Amoros for anyone else to get a win.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think it's great for the game. Look at other sports that have had, or continue to have, dynasties. They are great for the sport. Some dynasties are hated, others tolerated, others truly liked. UCONN and its' players are very likable. When you have the men and women winning NC's in the same year TWICE in history, and both times it was UCONN doing it, you set the gold standard for who the very best aspire to play with and for. Just one reason why UCONN continues to recruit, and sign, the very best players in WCBB.

I fail to see how on earth it could be bad for the game. It raises the publicity (just like the win streak), forces other teams to work even harder to reach and aspire to UCONN's level, and gets WCBB talked about. And we are often hearing about "newer" fans who tuned in and appreciated the way UCONN teams play.

Let's be honest - if you don't like women's sports, you won't be able to appreciate what UCONN does. There's no comparison to the NBA or MCBB because women simply can't play above the rim like the men can. Sportscenter's top 10 is always riddled with "OMG what a great dunk" plays.

I really don't think that parity would make WCBB any more interesting to the rest of the nation in general. I also think every few years or so there will be another team to win it all (Baylor, aTm, etc), and you will also get programs who put together great teams who will rise to challenge (UCLA might be the next team to do so).

The whole "good for the game" nonsense came from jealous orange fans. I don't hear Duke, ND, L'ville, Baylor, or other top programs having their fans whine and complain about it...
And adding to that is we are on a fantastic 'Run' right now......Just like the past great Tennessee , Old Dominion , and Louisiana Tech teams. Our Run will come to an end one day , or year. And then it will be someone else's turn. I don't worry about whether its fair for WCBB or not. Its about winning and taking your shots when you can. When UConn was a doormat no one worried about walking all over us and cleaning their feet. So why worry about walking over the others now? Our run will come to an end ...One day. But until then lets just enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
And adding to that is we are on a fantastic 'Run' right now.Just like the past great Tennessee , Old Dominion , and Louisiana Tech teams. Our Run will come to an end one day , or year. And then it will be someone else's turn. I don't worry about whether its fair for WCBB or not. Its about winning and taking your shots when you can. When UConn was a doormat no one worried about walking all over us and cleaning their feet. So why worry about walking over the others now? Our run will come to an end ...One day. But until then lets just enjoy the ride.

HGN: aw, hell....I saw this and just couldn't sign off yet. VERY well said....them's my sentiments exactly.

Reaction Score
But if we don't get out of the AAC Uconn is doomed.
Ya Another board thought we were going to take a hit this year with recruits because of the AAC... Even after the NCs... I just hope all the verbals we are getting end up as LOIs :)

Reaction Score
Looks like the "weak conference" pitch isn't working quite well yet...2 top 10 recruits and possibly the #1 player in 2015.....not quite a good pitch just yet!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
AnotherVolFan said:
Looks like the "weak conference" pitch isn't working quite well yet...2 top 10 recruits and possibly the #1 player in 2015.....not quite a good pitch just yet!

We won't be in AAC that long so it will all work out!

Reaction Score
But with all honestly....if you want to get coached by the best I would pick UCONN regardless of conference affiliation....they're clearly a cut above the rest right now and until someone provides some comp....it'll be the same story...imo like some soccer player that chose ND over the powerhouse program North Carolina (twisting words)....You either grow up wanting to play for UCONN & The Lady Vols :) or against UCONN & The Lady Vols! Lol

Reaction Score
[quoteFan1125, post: 958928, member: 446"]We won't be in AAC that long so it will all work out![/quote]
Now I wouldnt say all that.....remember Football drives a lot of the conference realignments....until your Football program starts to excel....I don't see you all moving for some years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
[quoteFan1125, post: 958928, member: 446"]We won't be in AAC that long so it will all work out!
Now I wouldnt say all that.....remember Football drives a lot of the conference realignments....until your Football program starts to excel....I don't see you all moving for some years.[/quote]

Well, UConn plays the Vols in a couple of years. After we make y'all yearn for Peyton Manning, all the big conferences will come crawling. :cool:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I pretty much agree. As "bad" as UConn is for the women's game, opposing programs don't mind the few thousand more seats than normal that are filled when UConn comes to town. Maybe when they figure out how to put a representative team on the court more regularly, the UConn payday won't be so necessary. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see some of the AAC teams improve to be competitive just because UConn is a recruiting attraction. I'm not sure if UConn was factor in Rutger's improvement, but they certainly didn't hurt St. John's, WVU , Cuse or GTown's efforts. It looked to me as if at least 3 or 4 of the new rivals are coached well enough to be good with more talent on the floor. If the league can get to 4 or so teams deep in regular tournament type teams, there aren't many leagues a lot deeper than that. Women's hoops just isn't comparable to either men's hoops or football when it comes to what attracts elite recruits, if only because no league can claim to be all that great up and down the conference or filled with great coaches.

Reaction Score
Geno was asked after UConn won in 2013, after you won in 95, it caused a tremendous amount of interest in the sport. Everyone feels it has plateaued in terms of injuries, and quality of play. Do you agree? And if so, what can it do to get better on both levels?
I think, like in any other sport, the product you put on the floor has to be excellent. and you have to aspire to be really, really good, which means you don't have the majority of the teams in college basketball shooting 40 percent from the floor.
There's got to be a commitment to being great. I think its happening at more schools then ever, but I think there is a feeling we have plateaued. And the interest level has to come back, and maybe players like Stewie will help in accomplishing that.
The best thing for basketball in my humble opinion would be for Stewie to accomplish her stated goal, if I'm here for 4 years, might as well win 4 national championships. She might go down as one of the greatest in the game, time will tell, but everyone likes Stewie, players, coaches, former players. Yet Stewie remains herself, in her own way always deflects the praise to the team. Even the International blogger likes Stewie. ESPN, and all the media, will play the streak, and if UConn wins evey game for 3 years as headline news, which would be great for the game. Can you imagine in 2016, Stewie on the Olympic Team in Rio after winning 4 titles?

Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of schools in the major conferences that don't really contribute very much at all in regard to their athletic programs successes and wouldn't it be something that a conference would eject a school if over a substantial length of time, one or more of their schools had little or no success. Once you are in a conference that is considered a major conference, what kind of incentives do you have to really strive to fund and recruit the best players and coaches for athletic success. You still share the same pool of monies at the end of the day, right? In my mind, there are so many deadwood schools that haven't had nearly the success that UConn has had over the last 25 years. How many national championships in soccer, field hockey, men's and women's basketball????

Reaction Score
AnotherVolFan said:
[quoteFan1125, post: 958928, member: 446"]We won't be in AAC that long so it will all work out!
Now I wouldnt say all that.....remember Football drives a lot of the conference realignments....until your Football program starts to excel....I don't see you all moving for some years.[/QUOTE]

How then do you explain Rutgers to the Big 10?

Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of schools in the major conferences that don't really contribute very much at all in regard to their athletic programs successes and wouldn't it be something that a conference would eject a school if over a substantial length of time, one or more of their schools had little or no success. Once you are in a conference that is considered a major conference, what kind of incentives do you have to really strive to fund and recruit the best players and coaches for athletic success. You still share the same pool of monies at the end of the day, right? In my mind, there are so many deadwood schools that haven't had nearly the success that UConn has had over the last 25 years. How many national championships in soccer, field hockey, men's and women's basketball????

The major incentive is the hundreds of million dollars generated each year by tier 3 media rights, ticket and concession sales, merchandise sales, and donations from Alumni that are all boosted significantly by a successful athletic program and are not shared. Last year alone the University of Texas football generated 109 million dollars for the University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom