UCONN emerging as "heavy favorite" for Samuelson | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN emerging as "heavy favorite" for Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There's a lot different with the top P5 schools. They are big. They have a lot of alumni. Some of them have annual budgets that are in the 4 and 5 billion dollar range with athletic departments running in the 9 figures. They have campuses that are small cities by themselves. They've been cultivating their football programs for a century. And they have rivalries that go back half that or longer. They can put 80-90-100-110k butts in their seats. Some places 80k+ just for a silly spring scrimmage game. A lot of these schools have established football pipelines right in their own backyard. When it's Friday night, whole towns shut down to go watch some high school kids play football. Honestly, UConn and the environment compared to an Alabama couldn't be more different. College sports in general have trouble gaining traction in the Northeast just because it's such a pro-sports saturated region. Plus the schools tend to be small which fragments what exists of a college sports fan base. This isn't classic fear of success. It's more like the grass is pretty green on our side of the fence already despite all the doomsday predictions, and we will never be an Alabama, Ohio State, etc. (and I'm not so sure I'd ever want to be in that club anyway) just because it's two different worlds, so why try to be something we aren't?
Boston College is in the ACC and Rutgers is in the B1G. Neither of them will be mistaken for Alabama.

UConn opened some eyes during the NCAA tournament when Husky fans flooded New York City for the men's Regional final. Cha-ching. NYC is one of the Holy Grails of advertising markets. The basketball teams have given Bob Diaco a golden opportunity and now he just needs to deliver and get UConn out of the AAC. No matter how much folks here want to pretend the AAC won't hurt UConn down the road, they are forgetting basketball trophies won't pay the bills, cold hard cash does and if there's no power conference, the Athletic Dept is not going to have anywhere near enough money to pay coaches like Geno and KO the money they're getting.

Reaction Score
There's a lot different with the top P5 schools. They are big. They have a lot of alumni. Some of them have annual budgets that are in the 4 and 5 billion dollar range with athletic departments running in the 9 figures. They have campuses that are small cities by themselves. They've been cultivating their football programs for a century. And they have rivalries that go back half that or longer. They can put 80-90-100-110k butts in their seats. Some places 80k+ just for a silly spring scrimmage game. A lot of these schools have established football pipelines right in their own backyard. When it's Friday night, whole towns shut down to go watch some high school kids play football. Honestly, UConn and the environment compared to an Alabama couldn't be more different. College sports in general have trouble gaining traction in the Northeast just because it's such a pro-sports saturated region. Plus the schools tend to be small which fragments what exists of a college sports fan base. This isn't classic fear of success. It's more like the grass is pretty green on our side of the fence already despite all the doomsday predictions, and we will never be an Alabama, Ohio State, etc. (and I'm not so sure I'd ever want to be in that club anyway) just because it's two different worlds, so why try to be something we aren't?
Like I said, they're more committed.

Reaction Score

Amen! I'm with you on this. I have spent some time both at UT-Austin and UW. FB is religion. It is another world inside the Univ. And the idea of the college athl doesn't make any sense- but these schools can pull it off. We need to find the middle somewhere and, with a a strong brand we may find good success. Notre Dame is a brand. I have been among people who cheered on ND without having any connections whatsoever to the school. 'ND is playing on tv, lets check the game out', they would say. Uconn is also a brand and its social capital is on the rise (in bb, etc). That is where the meat is, not in the nonesense about delivering the NY mkt to the Big or the ACC. Were that to be true any idiot in the B10 or ACC would have seen it yesterday. There are only a few univ that have no need for athletics and are surviving. These are either wealthy institutions with private monies or institut with pork-barrel (Gov't) funding for research (e,g JHU).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I dont understand UConn is bad for WCBB. Was Babe Ruth bad for baseball. Wilt Russell Dr J Bird and Jordan bad for the NBA . Come on. They set the bar higher and other coaches are forced to attain that level, but only those coachs who want to compete. IMO we need Butler and Samuelson or Durr but I think we get both. With that roster we may not lose a game for a few years. The reason why is because our opponents wont do what it takes to reach the level where Geno and UConn are playing at. Again I dont think fans understand that Geno and UConn have set the bar so high that opponents know they cant reach it. They settle for losing to UConn. Do you think Geno settles for losing? How bout beating ND when it counted. UConn last season proved without KML and Tuck they could not only win but dominate MD DUKE Penn St Cal and Stanford. Then the NCAAs they found a way to win. Was there ever a doubt that UConn would lose last season. If Tuck and Williams are healthy this season I dont see Uconn losing and this season could be the weakest team UConn has for the next 4-6 years. The hyped up person who predicted 195-0 could if we get Durr and Samuleson be wrong it could be much higher then that and Geno would drawft every NCAA record mens and womens that is out there.

Tonyc, I appreciate your enthusiasm. One minor quibble. I don't think the reason why opponents can't beat UConn is because they won't "do what it takes" or because they "settle for losing." I think they are doing everything they can and working as hard as they can to beat UConn. The reason they lose is because UConn is also doing whatever they can to win PLUS UConn starts with the best (or close to it) talent AND develops that talent better than all (or almost all) the other schools, due to Geno.

Saying that other schools settle for losing cheapens what UConn has accomplished, in my opinion. Other schools are going all-out to beat UConn and the Huskies just keep winning.

Reaction Score
Tonyc, I appreciate your enthusiasm. One minor quibble. I don't think the reason why opponents can't beat UConn is because they won't "do what it takes" or because they "settle for losing." I think they are doing everything they can and working as hard as they can to beat UConn. The reason they lose is because UConn is also doing whatever they can to win PLUS UConn starts with the best (or close to it) talent AND develops that talent better than all (or almost all) the other schools, due to Geno.

Saying that other schools settle for losing cheapens what UConn has accomplished, in my opinion. Other schools are going all-out to beat UConn and the Huskies just keep winning.
Doris Burke commented during the championship game that every game UConn plays is their opponent's Super Bowl, and thus UConn takes everyone's best shot.

Reaction Score
For every naysayer and negative comment I see regarding UConn football..... I think this..... well placed and understood for RIGHT NOW..... but as we speak, we feel the tailwind of immense university support for the football program..... of those programs who came out of nowhere in the past generation.... well there are available templates..... Boise State.... Kansas State..... etc......

But for every negative comment, I think of the existing programs who have nothing to chirp about..... Vanderbilt, Boston College, Syracuse, Duke, Wash State, Utah, Kansas, Northwestern...... and several others..... what do these programs have to hang their hat on?

I am grateful to the university's support for the program, in particular the AD and Pres Susan Herbst..... we will get there..... nobody is saying we will be Alabama..... but we can be very competitive..... and we will be..... we lead the country in basketball, no question.... hands down..... the figures bear that out..... but speaking strictly on football ..... we will be fine......

UConn is a proud institution, and is getting better..... all those big conference schools, including those in the proud "academic conferences" of ACC and Big 10 land...... ranked below us.... Again, we will be fine.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
But for every negative comment, I think of the existing programs who have nothing to chirp about..... Vanderbilt, Boston College, Syracuse, Duke, Wash State, Utah, Kansas, Northwestern. and several others..... what do these programs have to hang their hat on?

I am sure the question was rhetorical, nonetheless...Duke went 10-4 last year and very nearly pulled an upset over Johnny Manziel's Texas A&M in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl. Vanderbilt went 9-4 and won the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Nonetheless, I do agree that UConn football is up and coming. As an ND football fan, I was sorry to see ND lose Diaco. The arrow is definitely pointing up with him in the fold.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am sure the question was rhetorical, nonetheless...Duke went 10-4 last year and very nearly pulled an upset over Johnny Manziel's Texas A&M in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl. Vanderbilt went 9-4 and won the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Nonetheless, I do agree that UConn football is up and coming. As an ND football fan, I was sorry to see ND lose Diaco. The arrow is definitely pointing up with him in the fold.
Not to hurt our friend Triad's feelings but Duke had a breakout year last year. Prior to that since 2008.....

Duke went 4–8 in 2008 and Duke's 2009 season was a 5–7 campaign, the closest the school had come to bowl eligibility since 1994.
Duke teams had back-to-back 3-9 seasons in 2010 and 2011.
Duke's 2012 team fell to Cincinnati 48-34 in a close contest in the Belk Bowl, finishing the season with a 6–7 record.

Vandy is coming off two solid seasons but was 2-10, 2-10 and 6-7 the three seasons before it.

I don't see why Uconn's last three bad years has some folks thinking that is how they will be going forward.

Reaction Score

Nice post...................here's my 2 cents.......don't forget to read my signature below.

The UConn women are soooooo hard to beat because the coaching staff recruits highly talented players that have a “WE” mindset, instead of an “I” mindset, and then gets them to play TOGETHER, as a unit, on defense and offense, like no other women’s college basketball team in the country……………..check out what an opponent said after playing UConn, and losing badly in the 2012 NCAA tournament, in my signature below!

I forgot that nonmembers and members who aren't signed in can't see my signature........... so here is the quote from the opponent:
Kansas State senior Brittany Chambers (2012 NCAA tournament):
“You watch a person on TV and you see they do this and that,’’ Chambers said. “You can scout a team and they do this and that. But to play UConn and the way that they play the entire game, I’ve never played a team like that. We haven’t seen a team that plays like that. We’ve played Baylor three times and we’ve played teams that go hard for 40 minutes. With UConn it’s five players, one unit. If one player makes
a mistake the other four have her back the entire time. That’s what makes them special.’’

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So if she signs that would give UConn the highest rated player in the class and 3 of the Top 10? I'll take that.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Well those of you who know me know that wasnt my intent with what I wrote. By my quote wont do what it takes means going the extra mile. Do more then their doing right now. How do you think Geno got to be what he is and accomplish what he's accomplished. He did it by doing what he is suppose to do and a little be more. He goes to Pro Team practices and consults other coaches. You heard Doris Burke tell coaches to go watch a UConn practice spend time with Geno . Some do some dont and thats what I ment by Do what it takes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Doris Burke commented during the championship game that every game UConn plays is their opponent's Super Bowl, and thus UConn takes everyone's best shot.
Actually that's kinda sad*. I mean if that's everyone's best shot.....:(

*Sad for wcbb and everyone else. Not sad for UCONN. We don't care. (see my signature)

Reaction Score
Yes Orangutan, even though i know you are not taking me to task on my point..... vanderbilt and duke last year.... good for them, but what is the last year they showed anything? Wash State went to Rose Bowl in the 90s once i think..... even UConn could cite the BCS bowl in 2010...... it is just these programs in big conferences who have shown NOTHING..... come to think of it..... what about Illinois... i can remember a Rose Bowl and a final 4 in hoops 20 years ago... but what else athletically.... Rutgers is really trying if you gauge by how much money they put into athletics.....

The thing is..... all these programs who have nothing to show..... nothing..... I think it is great that Virginia is good in lacrosse and BC is good in hockey..... but if that is their argument to float their athletic boat..... it is innately fraught with holes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But for every negative comment, I think of the existing programs who have nothing to chirp about..... Vanderbilt, Boston College, Syracuse, Duke, Wash State, Utah, Kansas, Northwestern. and several others..... what do these programs have to hang their hat on?
A hell of a lot more money coming in from their conference than UCONN does from the AAC. You don't have to be good, just be in one of the big conferences.

Mo money, mo money, mo money. It's all about the Benjamins. Money talks and BS walks. Show me the money. You're only as good as the money you make.

Reaction Score
A hell of a lot more money coming in from their conference than UCONN does from the AAC. You don't have to be good, just be in one of the big conferences.

Mo money, mo money, mo money. It's all about the Benjamins. Money talks and BS walks. Show me the money. You're only as good as the money you make.
The other thing that people need to keep in mind is that some of these teams have been in their P5 conference since forever. And forever ago the P5 conferences may have had a different order of priorities (i.e. there were no conference TV networks to worry about 25 or 50 years ago), so for teams trying to get in now the qualifications are going to be different than they were in 1950. Just because UConn may bring more championships to the B1G than say UIUC, it doesn't automatically justify bringing in UConn.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Exactly. Not rocket science.

T

TroyHouse66

cabbie: <<Can't we be just retrievably doomed?>>
zorro: <<I guess that would be better, now that you mention it.>>

Would this mean UConn giving up Jonathan for some kind of Labrador or Water Spaniel?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The other thing that people need to keep in mind is that some of these teams have been in their P5 conference since forever. And forever ago the P5 conferences may have had a different order of priorities (i.e. there were no conference TV networks to worry about 25 or 50 years ago), so for teams trying to get in now the qualifications are going to be different than they were in 1950. Just because UConn may bring more championships to the B1G than say UIUC, it doesn't automatically justify bringing in UConn.
But if one is worried about TV and viewership UCONN is very attractive. UCONN has a big media presence and that is important.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
cabbie: <<Can't we be just retrievably doomed?>>
zorro: <<I guess that would be better, now that you mention it.>>

Would this mean UConn giving up Jonathan for some kind of Labrador or Water Spaniel?
I think it would be Golden, Golden Retriever that is.

Reaction Score
Well those of you who know me know that wasnt my intent with what I wrote. By my quote wont do what it takes means going the extra mile. Do more then their doing right now. How do you think Geno got to be what he is and accomplish what he's accomplished. He did it by doing what he is suppose to do and a little be more. He goes to Pro Team practices and consults other coaches. You heard Doris Burke tell coaches to go watch a UConn practice spend time with Geno . Some do some dont and thats what I ment by Do what it takes.

I knew what you meant Tonyc………..I think what it boils down to is that the UConn coaching staff has a unique system/ability to get their players to execute at a higher, more intense, more consistent level than their opponents. Combine that quality with the UConn players’ individual skills/abilities, and their willingness to play TOGETHER, as a harmonious unit, on BOTH ends of the floor, and you have a very, very tough team to try to beat!

Believe me………other top teams would like nothing more than to kick UConn’s butt………but to instill the type of physical and mental commitment in their players, that it would require, to compete evenly with UConn on a regular basis is no easy task for opposing coaching staffs. And it will continue to be so, because the bar is set so high at UConn.........it's HARD to play for UConn........but the rewards are plentiful....just ask Stef and Bria!

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Now y'all DO realize, don't you, that for 2014-15 we already have ten blue-chip players; two seniors, two juniors, two sophs (assuming Morgan;s red shirt app is approved), and four frosh. The following year, we will lose KML and BB, and already have two top-ten players signed, to bring us back up to 10. IF it were to happen that we signed all the additional players people are wishing for, i.e. Samuelson, Brown, Butler and Durr, that woul mean that in 2015-16 we will have fourteen players, any one of whom could probably start for just about any other team in the country. I doubt that that is actually going to happen, but two out of the four would probably not be a bad guess, creating a situation that seems likely to tax even Geno's ingenuity. What are we going to do with all those blue-chip players?

Do you think maybe we could get an NCAA rules change so that the Huskies could field not one but two teams? Team Blue and Team White, perhaps? Hey, they might even end up playing each other in the NC game!

Seriously, while it is a nice kind of problem to have, it is, nevertheless, a problem, especially given Geno's penchant for whittling the actual core team down to no more than seven or eight players. Could all those players be kept happy and enrolled under those circumstances? Would he go with upper-classmen and let the others wait their turns? Will they go for that? Whaddya think?

Reaction Score
elzorrogris................don't forget about Kiah! Our vacuum cleaner on the boards/shot blocker extraordinaire! Kiah's going to have a great senior season in 2014-'15. Mark that down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now y'all DO realize, don't you, that for 2014-15 we already have ten blue-chip players; two seniors, two juniors, two sophs (assuming Morgan;s red shirt app is approved), and four frosh. The following year, we will lose KML and BB, and already have two top-ten players signed, to bring us back up to 10. IF it were to happen that we signed all the additional players people are wishing for, i.e. Samuelson, Brown, Butler and Durr, that woul mean that in 2015-16 we will have fourteen players, any one of whom could probably start for just about any other team in the country. I doubt that that is actually going to happen, but two out of the four would probably not be a bad guess, creating a situation that seems likely to tax even Geno's ingenuity. What are we going to do with all those blue-chip players?

Do you think maybe we could get an NCAA rules change so that the Huskies could field not one but two teams? Team Blue and Team White, perhaps? Hey, they might even end up playing each other in the NC game!

Seriously, while it is a nice kind of problem to have, it is, nevertheless, a problem, especially given Geno's penchant for whittling the actual core team down to no more than seven or eight players. Could all those players be kept happy and enrolled under those circumstances? Would he go with upper-classmen and let the others wait their turns? Will they go for that? Whaddya think?
Lol... Seems like yesterday that we were doomed 'cuz we had no depth!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom