UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I'm a bad guy for saying MSG isn't Izod and it's a lot harder to get to?

That's a fact, not a complaint. So I guess we're even.
It's a fact that from where you live in Manhattan that it is easier to get to the other three... but for people from CT (who would be most of our travelling fans) it actually is probably easier to drive to the Meadowlands than have to drive or switch trains to get to BK or the Pru. Obviously MSG is the easiest for everyone... but O well? I'm with CAHusky on this one. I don't really care where it is, I'll just go.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The best part about the complaints is that these folks don't seem to think that UConn is aware of the pecking order/quality of the four area arenas despite having played in all of them in the last few years.

Reaction Score
I just want duke to beat Quse- other then then that I am happy. Glad we get a chance to play a quality team and help our rpi - first time it's ever happened but props to Duke- great drama and a classic matchup for the ages. Love it!

Reaction Score
I love that we're playing duke, but initially it said MSG so maybe you can see how I'd be slightly disappointed at the location.

What are you referring to when you say "it initially said MSG"? What initially said MSG?

Reaction Score
My take...Duke needs this game to stay relevant...a former national power that is sinking into the abyss. Can't get out of the first round of the NCAA tournament. A team trading on the last vestiges of its past reputation. The Huskies are throwing them a bone (only to snatch it back with a huge win on national television over the Dukies)

Attachments

• wink[1].png
    wink[1].png
    1,004 bytes · Views: 41
Reaction Score
The Izod is fine. I've seen plenty of basketball games there. And it's not that hard to get to. If you have no car, they send buses there from Penn Station. Same routing for Giants/Jets games, concerts, etc.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
The Izod is fine. I've seen plenty of basketball games there. And it's not that hard to get to. If you have no car, they send buses there from Penn Station. Same routing for Giants/Jets games, concerts, etc.

Yeah Izod center is just across from Met Life Stadium where the superbowl was just there recently, and 70k+ people didn't have problems getting there. I was there recently for a concert, and the only thing I don't like is that parking garage - if you get there late you will park towards the top and will take you a while to get out after game ends. Otherwise, its easy driving there from the north and south.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What are you referring to when you say "it initially said MSG"? What initially said MSG?
At the end of March when rumors of this matchup first started making the rounds it said that MSG, Barclay's and Izod were all possibilities.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The best part about the complaints is that these folks don't seem to think that UConn is aware of the pecking order/quality of the four area arenas despite having played in all of them in the last few years.

Yeah, that's it. Spot on observation.

My points laid out in order:

1) I love that we're playing Duke.
2) Initial reports mentioned MSG and it's at Izod which all I've mentioned is the obvious: it's a worse arena and more difficult to get to.

I think we could have left it at that without zls' razor sharp wit and CAHusky getting his panties in a bunch and listing every UConn sporting event he's ever been to.

Reaction Score

Being selfish, my first choice is MSG as it will get the best crowd, even if it’s 50/50 UConn and Duke. It’s easy to get fto from NYC and the NY, NJ, and LI suburbs as it sits on top of variosu train and subway lines. Plus, Grand Central is a 15 minute walk, so it’s not too bad for CT folks. Plus, it’s fracking MSG.

Barclay’s is nice (saw the UConn/Maryland game); but, it is a a pain in the neck to get to from NJ and CT and takes several connections to get to Brooklyn from NYC or any fo the suburbs outside of Long island.

My second choice is the Prudential Center (the Rock). The Rock has access to NJ transit, Amtrack, and NYC via the PATH subway line. Its realitvely easy to get to by car and parking is reasonable. That part of Newark is safe, esepcially when events are held. I have been to a few hockey games and a few UConn/Hall games there and never had any problem.

IZOD is old and worn out. It’s were take my kids to see Monster Jam and Seasme Street Live. Plus, it has limited mass transit connections. The Meadowlands does not have regular train service; but, NJ Transit does run special trains for certain events. Not sure a if this game would qualify. Driving in from Jersey is easy, esepcially as I know several back ways; but, getting to there from CT requires crossing the Hudson, which sucks.

Reaction Score
Actually, I will be there. I'll fly in to JFK and stay in Brooklyn. I'll drive to the game and all the while be happy as a pig in slop that I'm going to see Uconn play Duke. Just like I was happy flying to Maui on 3 ocassions, and to 4 of our final fours, 8 different regionals, a ton of games in Gampel and XL one game at Stanford, bowl games in phx and Charlotte, womens games at uop, Pepperdine and Stanford and to the tourney in Puerto Rico next November. Now that I think about it, getting to Izod really is an inconvenience from midtown. That 15 miles is a bitch.
that's great, but wtf would you stay in Brooklyn?

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's it. Spot on observation.

My points laid out in order:

1) I love that we're playing Duke.
2) Initial reports mentioned MSG and it's at Izod which all I've mentioned is the obvious: it's a worse arena and more difficult to get to.

I think we could have left it at that without zls' razor sharp wit and CAHusky getting his panties in a bunch and listing every UConn sporting event he's ever been to.
So basically you took some speculative article that meant nothing and decided it was meaningful, then got disappointed when it turned out to be inaccurate.

Multiple articles like the one you are talking about come out every year, especially years after we win the National Championship. Rarely do the games themselves actually materialize, let alone happen at the specific venue speculated about.

That's why I was so excited about this game, regardless of location. It was like "wow, one of high level matches media members are always talking about is actually going to happen!" That's a refreshing change.

People love to throw out MSG because of it's greatness. You're probably better off assuming the games will never be played at MSG and then go from there.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can convice them to move the game to Webster Bank Arena. Yeah Baby!
#BPT #203 #SoundTigers

Reaction Score
The high horse crowd needs to STFU.

Nobody is saying it isn't awesome to play Duke. Find one person that is even hinting at that.

The initial story mentioned MSG, which would've been awesome.

Considering MSG is the mecca and speaks for itself, Barclays is a brand new NBA arena in Brooklyn, Pru Center is a brand new former NBA/ current NHL arena and easily accessible by car or train and we got The izod center which is an old abandoned arena in the middle of nowhere, I think people are just in saying the game is awesome but out of the 4 NYC/NNJ arenas - izod is by far the worse and least accessible.

Its the most accessible by car. It is the least accessible by mass transit. It was until recently a NHL and NBA building. And it has a huge seating capacity. Not to mention, we are playing Duke.

One doesn't have to be self entitled to get sick of the constant complaining. One may just dislike people who need to find the negative in everything always.

Reaction Score
My take...Duke needs this game to stay relevant...a former national power that is sinking into the abyss. Can't get out of the first round of the NCAA tournament. A team trading on the last vestiges of its past reputation. The Huskies are throwing them a bone (only to snatch it back with a huge win on national television over the Dukies)
Yeah for sure. They probably also want to join the AAC because their conference schedule stinks and their top ranked recruits won't get any press this year either.

Reaction Score
From the IZOD website, it's not MSG but might as well make the best of it.

http://www.meadowlands.com/izodguestservices.aspx

TAILGATING
Tailgating is permitted provided guests tailgate in the same space occupied by their vehicle. Please be courteous to your fellow fans -- open parking spaces should not be used for tailgating. Tailgating is not permitted in Parking Deck 23.

Grills are permitted for tailgating enjoyment, provided guests do so only in the same space occupied by their vehicle. However, their use near buildings or in any area where guests or property may be damaged is strictly prohibited. Please do not discard hot coals near vehicles or in plastic waste receptacles.

• Open fires are not permitted.
    Trash receptacles are located throughout the Sports Complex parking lots and near the Arena entrances. Please bag and dispose of your trash to make it safer for vehicles exiting the Sports Complex after the game.
  • Aramark is the official food service provider/caterer for The IZOD Center. To schedule a catered event, please contact Aramark at (201) 933-9006. Contracted and outside caterers are not permitted on IZOD Center property without the written consent of the NJSEA.
  • Ball playing and frisbee tossing in the Arena parking lots and roadways are safety hazards and are not permitted. Many injuries occur as a result of these activities.

Reaction Score
From the IZOD website, it's not MSG but might as well make the best of it.

http://www.meadowlands.com/izodguestservices.aspx

TAILGATING
Tailgating is permitted provided guests tailgate in the same space occupied by their vehicle. Please be courteous to your fellow fans -- open parking spaces should not be used for tailgating. Tailgating is not permitted in Parking Deck 23.

• [ ]Ball playing and frisbee tossing in the Arena parking lots and roadways are safety hazards and are not permitted. Many injuries occur as a result of these activities.

I was OK with the game being here til I saw the rule about no frisbees being allowed outside. Pencil me in for watching this one on the couch

Reaction Score
Its the most accessible by car. It is the least accessible by mass transit. It was until recently a NHL and NBA building. And it has a huge seating capacity. Not to mention, we are playing Duke.

One doesn't have to be self entitled to get sick of the constant complaining. One may just dislike people who need to find the negative in everything always.
It's not complaining or being negative to simply point out the other venues are preferred. I will be attending but if it was the best experience it could be that would be better. One can understand that can't one?

Reaction Score
It's not complaining or being negative to simply point out the other venues are preferred. I will be attending but if it was the best experience it could be that would be better. One can understand that can't one?

Everything equal, of course you would rather play in MSG than Izod (or anywhere else in the world). But wouldn't the logical assumption here be that either this worked best from a scheduling point of view, or that Izod gave the schools the best financial deal?

And does anyone really think it would attract more UConn fans to Brooklyn or Newark? Izod is much easier to get to than either of those venues.

Bottom line -- it would be nice if we had fans who could greet good news with something other than a call for a whaaambulance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom