UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey I'm the least negative guy on here. I do dislike being talked down to. Makes me want to comment about lawyer and ambulance , but I will refrain.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Everything equal, of course you would rather play in MSG than Izod (or anywhere else in the world). But wouldn't the logical assumption here be that either this worked best from a scheduling point of view, or that Izod gave the schools the best financial deal?

And does anyone really think it would attract more UConn fans to Brooklyn or Newark? Izod is much easier to get to than either of those venues.

Bottom line -- it would be nice if we had fans who could greet good news with something other than a call for a whaaambulance.

Could you please point out where I excessively complained?

My god, I said I preferred MSG to Izod as a venue and it being easier for me to get to.

Get over yourselves.

Reaction Score
Stumbled over to Duke scout board to see thought on game... read 100 posts proclaiming BC to be superior for the ACC than UConn.

Reaction Score
They can act all superior but the fact of the matter is Duke cheats like anyone else, but the NCAA turns a blind eye away from it.

Myron Piggie paid Corey Maggette, Jason Williams handed Kevin Love a bag filled with $25k cash while Duke was recruiting him, Coach K. used to comp the Pump Brothers with thousands of dollars worth of F4 tix while he was taking players from their AAU program. Same stuff goes on at Duke--but no one says a thing.

Reaction Score
Stumbled over to Duke scout board to see thought on game... read 100 posts proclaiming BC to be superior for the ACC than UConn.

With the possible exception of the UKY rivals board, you wont find a larger collection of d ouche bags on line anywhere. Well I guess a Dallas Cowboys message board would be close to but I have never been to one of those thank goodness.

Reaction Score

Of course they feel that way. I mean, that is a guaranteed win every year for Puke.

Reaction Score
Ratface will never beat us without Wojo and his floor pounding inspiration.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Coach K. used to comp the Pump Brothers with thousands of dollars worth of F4 tix while he was taking players from their AAU program. Same stuff goes on at Duke--but no one says a thing.

To be fair, so were coaches from a majority of division 1 programs. It's how Dana and David got rich.

Reaction Score
To be fair, so were coaches from a majority of division 1 programs. It's how Dana and David got rich.

It wasn't even illegal. But then again, neither was giving Baltimore Parks & Rec. 22k in the Rudy Gay recruitment. nor was giving Lance Thomas's mother a job at Duke. But what was illegal was Corey Magette getting paid and Jay Williams dumping $25k in cash in Kevin Love's lap while Duke was recruiting him.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The Final Four crowds were evidence of this. We were in last place that weekend for fan support.
KY has about the biggest traveling hoops fanbase there is and Wisky had a huge contingent but I thought the UCONN and Florida crowds were relatively similar. Am I the only one who was there that felt that way?

Reaction Score
KY has about the biggest traveling hoops fanbase there is and Wisky had a huge contingent but I thought the UCONN and Florida crowds were relatively similar. Am I the only one who was there that felt that way?
I think it was close but Florida had more fans I believe.

Reaction Score
It's hard--I think people weren't expecting such a run, and dropped a bunch of money to see it at MSG. Meanwhile, Kentucky has the largest fan base in CBB, and they could drive there. Made it tough to compete.

Reaction Score
It's hard--I think people weren't expecting such a run, and dropped a bunch of money to see it at MSG. Meanwhile, Kentucky has the largest fan base in CBB, and they could drive there. Made it tough to compete.
My friend was trying to convince me that it looked like Florida and Wisconsin fans were more prevalent because of their bright colors which made them stand out more.

Yeah have another beer bro!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My friend was trying to convince me that it looked like Florida and Wisconsin fans were more prevalent because of their bright colors which made them stand out more.

Yeah have another beer bro!
I think that's true. Orange and red really stood out against the blue seats. That being said, I still say Florida and UCONN were equally represented while KY had a TON of fans and Wisky had 3/4 of a ton.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No matter what UCONN does, it would not be able to compete with Kentucky. Say what you want about UK, but they've got the most passionate fanbase in the country. If there's a tournament in Alaska, they royal blue the place right out.

Wisky's success motivated their fan base. They aren't there that often, so I'm not surprised it was a big turnout.

We had a pretty good contingent for a group of fans that did not expect to be there in the first place.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but one distinct advantage of Izod over MSG/Barclay's: Tailgating.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That's odd because over on Rivals during the tourney, most of the Duke Illustrated crowd favored booting BCU in favor of us.

Reaction Score
Who's brain fart is this? MSG or nothing. Even Pru in Newark would be better.

b*

Reaction Score
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but one distinct advantage of Izod over MSG/Barclay's: Tailgating.

Downside, it will be cold in the vast expanse of wasteland known as the Meadowlands in November/December and there is thing else there. At least there are a few bars around the Rock.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Has it occurred to anyone who is knocking the venue that the Meadowlands, knowing that they do need marquee events, may have approached both schools on this?

It may not have been an absolute that this game would happen and the two schools merely needed to agree on a location. It could well have been that without the location coming first, this game would never have been considered.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Hey at least its not at the Nassau Coliseum!

Nassau Coliseum is gonna be lonely now with the Islanders moving to Barclays Center.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Downside, it will be cold in the vast expanse of wasteland known as the Meadowlands in November/December and there is thing else there. At least there are a few bars around the Rock.

So now we have the real reason our football games aren't well attended: It's too cold to tailgate in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom